Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Canadian Study Permit Online Application Process (Fall 2017 and Onwards)
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

Likes Given: 2
Unisearch: Link
Canadian Study Permit Online Application Process (Fall 2017 and Onwards)
Wassup people! So the Fall 2017 intake is almost over (congratulations to all those who got in!) and Spring 2018 is just round the corner. However now is the time for the accepted people to work on their study permits to Canada. The older threads in the Canadian subforum are not maintained, and the rules tend to change quite dramatically every few months. So i wanted to write a detailed step-by-step process to file your study permit for Fall 2017/Spring 2018 people.

I will be working to keep this thread maintained as much as possible, staying up to date with the changes in rules, but I can't guarantee anything. To avoid misleading anyone who's reading this from the future (oh hi there!), I will add a last updated date under this paragraph. Make sure it's very recent before taking advice.

Last Updated - 27/05/2017

So let's start off with the actual process of applying for study permit for Canada. There are some assumptions I am going to have to keep this thread narrow and manageable for me to write -

1. I will only be covering the online application part (no paper based).
  2. The steps are only for university category, not for colleges/SPP colleges since rules vary for those categories.
  3. I assume you are the sole person going for the studies, and you do not have anyone else accompanying you (like your spouse and/or children, parents etc).
  4. For effective scanning, I'd suggest you use CamScanner, especially if you have a fairly good phone with great camera. Scan everything in PDF, and combine using an online PDF merger. To reorder pages in the PDF file, use sejda online tool.

Let's start!

OFFICIAL FORMS

Step 1: Make sure you receive an official acceptance letter from the university. The main letter you need is going to have some two pages normally - 1) The formal acceptance letter and all the flowery words, and 2) extra information that is directed for the VISA officer, like the name of the institution, Designated Learning Institution Code, Length of Study, Fees, Scholarship if any. This is the letter that's required for your application.

Step 2: Create an account on CIC website under Apply Online category using the GCKey option. Yes, you need to create the account BEFORE getting any documents and all ready. I'll tell you why this is important.

Step 3: The account creation process is very elaborate, and the website is going to ask you a lot of questions about your purpose etc. They should be fairly straightforward for you to answer, but if you run into any confusion feel free to ask. Once you answer all the questions, a digital checklist will be created for you listing all the required documents that you need to attach in your application. Read this carefully.

Step 4: Using the digital checklist, download all the required forms (you'll see forms like IMM1294E, IMM5257B, IMM5645E). VERY IMPORTANT - Download from the links that are opened when you click on the names of the documents ONLY. If you download from somewhere else, the form versions will mismatch and it can error out when you are actually uploading.

Step 5: Fill out the required forms. The first form you fill up would most probably be the IMM1294E. Fill it out carefully, but DONT VALIDATE JUST YET. When you fill it up, double check it, triple check it. Make sure you enter all information according to your passport and offer letter. In the section where it asks you about tuition fees, room and board and stuff, enter information for the WHOLE DURATION of the course, not just for 1 year. Second form you will fill is going to be the IMM5645E, which should be pretty straightforward as it asks you for the family information. Third form is IMM5257B_1, which is very basic and asks you for your prior travel history.

Step 6: Once all forms are done and double (triple) checked, VALIDATE each form. Once validation is done, barcodes will be generated in case of IMM1294E, but not in other forms. This is normal. Save the form and keep them aside.

Step 7: Undergo an up-front medical examination. Book an appointment for your medical at your nearest authorized medical clinic, and get the exam done. It should cost somewhere around 4000-5000 INR. Get the list of authorized places and their numbers here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

They will give you an eMedical Tracking Sheet at the end of the medical exam. Save that, that's another required document you need to upload.

FINANCIALS

Step 8: Now you need to gather the financial documents for your application. As a rule of thumb (according to CIC website), you need show a minimum of first year fees + CAD$10000 as liquid in your posession. Here's a list of accepted financial documents under the "liquid funds" category -

Education Loan Sanction, Savings Account, Fixed deposits, Post Office Funds, Provident Funds with withdrawal limit mentioned, any tuition deposits/confirmation deposits receipts

Income documents are the tax returns for last 2-3 years along with employment papers.

Usually students can opt for one of the following ways to show funds -

1) Pay the tuition fee for year 1, and get a GIC certificate for CAD$10,200 from Scotia Bank, and show some extra money as liquid for other costs.
2) Pay the tuition fee for year 1, and show rest money as liquid.
3) If tuition fee cannot be paid, show all money available as liquid that can cover your minimum costs (see above for that).

Though Canada is known to be NOT PICKY about financials, its always a good idea to show as much as you can.

Que. HOW TO COMBINE ALL FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS?
Ans. Use the following general format to set up the financial documents:

1) If your parents are sponsoring your education, get an official affidavit on INR 100 Stamp Paper in their name attsting that they are going to fund your education. If you need exact wording for this affidavit let me know I'll send you.

2) Get an official valuation of your property and assets (property like house, land, plot, precious metals). This is your non-liquid asset valuation. the valuation is to be done by an official governement valuer. Make sure he is authorized and everything. Now, get Bank Balance Certificates from all the banks in which you have Savings Accounts/Fixed Deposits. Try to get the letter in a summarized fashion, ie., a single letter specifying balance in all your accounts and FDs. This is going to be hard to get, but it helps. If in case you can't, dont sweat it and just get all individual ones. For each savings account, get bank statement of 4 months. Make sure you don't have LARGE transcations happening in the last few weeks. For FDs, scan the original FD copies front and back and keep them ready. This is going to be your liquid assets. Now go to a Chartered Accountant, and ask him to create "Wealth Certificate" or "Asset Certificate" or whatever they call it. Basically it summarizes both your non-liquid and liquid assets into one single letter, authorized by the CA. Once you have that, add this single letter after the affidavit above. Also ask your CA to get you your last 3 year ITR (your parent's ITRs if they are sponsoring you). Scan everything.

3) Now start off by adding each bank certificate, like first PNB for Mr. XYZ. After this certificate, add the bank statement or FD according to what it states in the certificate. Basically you want something like this -

Index
Sponsor Affidavit
Wealth Certificate by CA

PNB Bank Letter Stating 2 Savings Accounts - Pg. 3
PNB Account Bank Statement for Account 7162738 - Pg. 4-6
PNB Account Bank Statement for Account 1231231 - Pg. 7-9

ICICI Bank Letter Stating 2 Fixed Deposits - Pg. 10
ICICI Fixed Deposit Scan 7162738 - Pg. 11
ICICI Fixed Deposit Scan 1231231 - Pg. 12

Income Tax Returns
Father (2016-2017)
Father (2015-2016)
Father (2014-2015)

Mother (2016-2017)
Mother (2015-2016)
Mother (2014-2015)

Yours (2016-2017)
Yours (2015-2016)
Yours (2014-2015)

and so on.

4) Don't forget add the receipts for your tuition fees if paid for the first year, and the GIC certificate in your financials.

5) Its always good to add an index page in the front.

LETTER OF EXPLANATION

Step 9: The letter of explanation section can be used to upload all the extra documents that you want to show to the VISA officer but cannot due to lack of specific places to uplaod them. A classic example can be to show test scores, employment letter, certificates of employments and all. Most important part of this section is the Cover Letter and Statement of Purpose.

Cover Letter should be concise, well-written letter addressing the VISA officer, showing your intention to study in Canada and reason to apply for study permit. It can summarize your test scores, talk about your scholarhsips, finances.

Statement of Purpose is a way to tell the VO about why you took this exact course, exact university and this country, along with your relevant past experience. You also need to convince the officer that you will return back to India after your studies, and do not plan to immigrate to Canada after your studies. Make sure you address all these questions in your letter.

Here's a sample way you can combine some docs in this letter of explanation section -

Cover Letter
Statement of Purpose
Curriculum Vitae
Emplyment Letter
12th Certificate
10th Certificate
College Transcript
College Degree
Internship Certificates
Test Scores (TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, GMAT)

PHOTOGRAPH

Step 10: You need to get a special photograph clicked of yourself according to the standards set by the embassy. Use this link to find the current standards - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/photospecs-e.pdf

PASSPORT

Step 11: Get your passport scanned from a scanning machine (don't use CamScanner for this). The first page, the last page, and any page where stamps might be visible of prior VISA was stamped.

COMPRESSING DOCUMENTS AND UPLOAD

Step 12: One major hurdle is that the maximum allowed file size for EACH document (like FINANCIALS, LETTER OF EXPLANATION) is 4MB strictly. Use compression to compress your file to a size that's below this, WITHOUT compromising on the quality of the scans. If you REALLY CANT COMPRESS much, consider removing unnecessary documents, or if that's not possible either, I'd suggest go for Paper based application.

Step 13: Upload the documents in their required fields.

Step 14: Pay your fees. The current embassy fees is CAD$150.

Step 15: Wait for the decision.

Step 16: If you are approved, congratulations! Once you are approved, you will get further instructions on how to send your passport to the nearest embassy for stamping.

PROCESS END
#############################

Feel free to ask any questions regarding VISA, Study Permit and eTA in this thread. Please note this thread DOES NOT DISCUSS IMMIGRATION SINCE IT IS IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION OF THE RULES OF STUDY PERMIT, WHICH STATES YOU WILL COME BACK TO INDIA.

Tag for Canadian Computer Science (CS) Evaluations
Ask me anything related to Canada!
InfoBank
Profile Evaluation Thread Guidelines 2017
List of Profile Evaluators 2017
05-27-2017 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
iyer.rahul100 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

iyer.rahul100 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
RE: Canadian Study Permit Online Application Process (Fall 2017 and Onwards)
How much extra should one with funding show ? GIC mentions we need to show tuition fees + $10000?. My funding amount is well more than that.

My InfoBank

UWaterloo MMath CS Thesis| Stony Brook University| SFU Big Data | Rutgers University | NEU | UIC
05-27-2017 08:57 PM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-27-2017 08:57 PM)iyer.rahul100 Wrote:  How much extra should one with funding show ? GIC mentions we need to show tuition fees + $10000?. My funding amount is well more than that.

I am in the same scenario. However I decided to show all the funds I had at my disposal. From what I've been able to gather, it never hurts to show surplus.

InfoBank
05-27-2017 09:43 PM
epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 3
Should the letter of explanation be one file only? and how do we show funding from university for financials?
Also, if I have two internships during the gap period do I show that in employment or only in LOE?

University of Calgary
MSc Computer Science - Fall 2017
05-28-2017 02:28 AM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-28-2017 02:28 AM)epoxy Wrote:  Should the letter of explanation be one file only? and how do we show funding from university for financials?
Also, if I have two internships during the gap period do I show that in employment or only in LOE?

1) There is only one single place to upload everything under the heading "Letter of Explanation". So if you have multiple docs (cover letter, sop, cv...), you will need to combine them into single pdf file. There's no other way.

2) Add scholarship letter to financials as well, apart from the acceptance letter document.

3) If internships were full time, you can show them. However use the cover letter and SOP to explain the gap period you had. There are no documents that can justify a gap period, you can only talk about it in the letter and sop.

InfoBank
05-28-2017 02:47 AM
epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-28-2017 02:47 AM)trane293 Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 02:28 AM)epoxy Wrote:  Should the letter of explanation be one file only? and how do we show funding from university for financials?

1) There is only one single place to upload everything under the heading "Letter of Explanation". So if you have multiple docs (cover letter, sop, cv...), you will need to combine them into single pdf file. There's no other way.

2) Add scholarship letter to financials as well, apart from the acceptance letter document.

3) If internships were full time, you can show them. However use the cover letter and SOP to explain the gap period you had. There are no documents that can justify a gap period, you can only talk about it in the letter and sop.

In the IMM1294E details of intended study in Canada section, does "fund available for my stay" include the tuition fee and the living expenses? By that I mean do I add up my own funds and the funding from my university?

University of Calgary
05-28-2017 03:20 PM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-28-2017 03:20 PM)epoxy Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 02:47 AM)trane293 Wrote:  

In the IMM1294E details of intended study in Canada section, does "fund available for my stay" include the tuition fee and the living expenses? By that I mean do I add up my own funds and the funding from my university?

Yes. Add scholarship amount and your liquid funds, convert to CAD$, and then write the value there.

InfoBank
05-28-2017 05:08 PM
sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 14
Hi All,
Nice detailed explanation by trane. I'm hoping you guys have already applied assuming online with upfront medicals, did anyone get their visa for sep intake or atleast medicals passed message? I applied 2 weeks back and status is just submitted. But in between i did get two emails stating that application was updated but when i checked there was no update.
Anyone faced similar situation?

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 08:17 PM by sanode.)
05-28-2017 08:15 PM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-28-2017 08:15 PM)sanode Wrote:  Hi All,
Nice detailed explanation by trane. I'm hoping you guys have already applied assuming online with upfront medicals, did anyone get their visa for sep intake or atleast medicals passed message? I applied 2 weeks back and status is just submitted. But in between i did get two emails stating that application was updated but when i checked there was no update.

I applied just 2 days back. Haven't got any email from CIC yet but I don't expect any either for another 1-2 weeks atleast. Not sure about medical passed message...what do you mean? I am not aware of such a message, please enlighten us.

Also, after exactly how much time did you get those 2 emails?

InfoBank
05-28-2017 08:36 PM
sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-28-2017 08:36 PM)trane293 Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 08:15 PM)sanode Wrote:  Hi All,

I applied just 2 days back. Haven't got any email from CIC yet but I don't expect any either for another 1-2 weeks atleast. Not sure about medical passed message...what do you mean? I am not aware of such a message, please enlighten us.

Also, after exactly how much time did you get those 2 emails?
If you login to your account and click on check status and messages, there you'll have the current progress of the application and it is there where you can check if you have passed medicals and so on.
I got the emails from cic on 3rd day and 5th day after applying.

05-28-2017 08:40 PM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-28-2017 08:40 PM)sanode Wrote:  If you login to your account and click on check status and messages, there you'll have the current progress of the application and it is there where you can check if you have passed medicals and so on.

Thanks! I received the first email (on 3rd day) and also got another email today (4th day), which turned out to be a fluke or something (it stated something had changed in my application but when I checked I found nothing).

Also, regarding medical, in my application it says - "You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes." Are you seeing the same?

InfoBank
05-30-2017 03:10 PM
sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

sanode Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-30-2017 03:10 PM)trane293 Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 08:40 PM)sanode Wrote:  If you login to your account and click on check status and messages, there you'll have the current progress of the application and it is there where you can check if you have passed medicals and so on.

Thanks! I received the first email (on 3rd day) and also got another email today (4th day), which turned out to be a fluke or something (it stated something had changed in my application but when I checked I found nothing).

Also, regarding medical, in my application it says - "You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes." Are you seeing the same?
Yes initially it'll say the same and in about 2 weeks from date of submission, it should say - You have passed the medical test.

05-30-2017 03:16 PM
epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

If I have sufficient funds to cover my tuition and living exp for one year(even two) would it be better to get a gic certificate or education loan considering my university won't be accepting tuition payment before session starts?

University of Calgary
05-31-2017 11:57 AM
trane293 Offline

trane293 Offline

(05-31-2017 11:57 AM)epoxy Wrote:  If I have sufficient funds to cover my tuition and living exp for one year(even two) would it be better to get a gic certificate or education loan considering my university won't be accepting tuition payment before session starts?

I'd strongly recommend GIC in your case, where you can't pay tuition fee upfront. GIC is valued highly by the VOs and instead of showing money in liquid only show GIC + Liquid.

InfoBank
05-31-2017 12:46 PM
epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

epoxy Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-31-2017 12:46 PM)trane293 Wrote:  
(05-31-2017 11:57 AM)epoxy Wrote:  If I have sufficient funds to cover my tuition and living exp for one year(even two) would it be better to get a gic certificate or education loan considering my university won't be accepting tuition payment before session starts?

I'd strongly recommend GIC in your case, where you can't pay tuition fee upfront. GIC is valued highly by the VOs and instead of showing money in liquid only show GIC + Liquid.

I’ll go ahead with that then. Also, can you please send me the sample for LOE? Just the SOP. I’d really appreciate it. I’ll PM you my email ID. Thanks!

University of Calgary
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 08:47 PM by epoxy.)
05-31-2017 08:44 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread