Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
PhD in USA after MS in Europe
Hello Seniors,

I am an undergrad student from NIT Rourkela. I have been recently admitted to the Visual Computing master program at Saarland University. My area of interest is Computer Vision & Image Processing, particularly Human Activity Recognition and Medical Image Processing. I had a few doubts about the place and would be very grateful if you could help me with them.

1> I ultimately want to pursue a PhD in Computer Vision. After completing masters, is it possible to shift to USA for PhD? I've heard that due to different grading scales and other reasons, it is very difficult to go to USA for a PhD after masters in Germany/EU? Is there any truth to this?

2> I also have US admits at Texas A&M University and University of Minnesota. Considering that I wish to eventually do a PhD in Computer Vision, where would I find better opportunities? Would you recommend that I go for Saarland or for TAMU/UMinn?

3> How is the Visual Computing program in your opinion? (Some feedback regarding the course/research work would be highly appreciated)

Thank you

Tagging Seniors :

Imagery@Apu
joshi65201
Edulix_Editor
ishansaxena45
MSinCS14
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 10:09 AM by Itachi_Uchiha01.)
07-07-2017 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: PhD in USA after MS in Europe
(07-07-2017 05:03 PM)Itachi_Uchiha01 Wrote:  Hello Seniors,

I am an undergrad student from NIT Rourkela. I have been recently admitted to the Visual Computing master program at Saarland University. My area of interest is Computer Vision & Image Processing, particularly Human Activity Recognition and Medical Image Processing. I had a few doubts about the place and would be very grateful if you could help me with them.

1> I ultimately want to pursue a PhD in Computer Vision. After completing masters, is it possible to shift to USA for PhD? I've heard that due to different grading scales and other reasons, it is very difficult to go to USA for a PhD after masters in Germany/EU? Is there any truth to this?

2> I also have US admits at Texas A&M University and University of Minnesota. Considering that I wish to eventually do a PhD in Computer Vision, where would I find better opportunities? Would you recommend that I go for Saarland or for TAMU/UMinn?

3> How is the Visual Computing program in your opinion? (Some feedback regarding the course/research work would be highly appreciated)

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Shubhendu Jena

Tagging Seniors :

@[Imagery@Apu]
@[joshi65201]
@[Edulix_Editor]
@[ishansaxena45]
@[MSinCS14]

Hey guys, anyone? I have to go for US VI soon. I just got the German admit. Any response would be highly appreciated Smile

Rogue
cneha1991
07-08-2017 11:33 AM
ishansaxena45 Offline
CourseLiX Admin

ishansaxena45 Offline
CourseLiX Admin

Likes Given: 15
Hey Itachi_Uchiha01

Congrats on the great admits. Sorry, not exactly my field. Hence can only give a general opinion.

1. If you are sure about pursuing your PhD in USA, then it is better to do your Masters there as well. I am not saying it is impossible to get a PhD in US after Masters in Europe (Editor Sir is a proof of that), but the study and work culture in both places can be quite different in some aspects. And, there are really good Universities in Europe as well, no doubt. You can reach out over Facebook or LinkedIn to some of the students/alumni there or maybe mail the Program Coordinators.

Back and ready to roll !!

Tag me for Signal Processing related and Germany related queries.

My InfoBank | My Visa Interview | ECE Specialization Specific University List | The Comm & Signal Processing Thread
07-08-2017 05:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(07-08-2017 05:50 PM)ishansaxena45 Wrote:  Hey @[Itachi_Uchiha01]

Congrats on the great admits. Sorry, not exactly my field. Hence can only give a general opinion.

1. If you are sure about pursuing your PhD in USA, then it is better to do your Masters there as well. I am not saying it is impossible to get a PhD in US after Masters in Europe (Editor Sir is a proof of that), but the study and work culture in both places can be quite different in some aspects. And, there are really good Universities in Europe as well, no doubt. You can reach out over Facebook or LinkedIn to some of the students/alumni there or maybe mail the Program Coordinators.

Hello Ishan sir,

Thanks a lot for the response. It was very informative. Would you have any idea about the MS in Visual Computing program at Saarland University in particular?

Thank you
07-09-2017 10:08 AM
Rogue Offline

Rogue Offline

Likes Given: 6
I have heard Saarland University is pretty good for the area of Computer Vision. I am sure the computer science folks from Europe would know it better. As far as I have spoken to some of my juniors who were also applying to Saarland, they sounded very enthusiastic about the program.

It is absolutely possible to do a MS in Europe and PhD in US or vice versa. Absolutely no problem there. Although the grading system is different, it can be converted always without much problems.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
07-10-2017 12:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rogue Offline

Rogue Offline

(07-08-2017 11:33 AM)Itachi_Uchiha01 Wrote:  

No truth in this!!
Compare the study programs and the elements that it involves. In Europe, typically you shouldn't have any problem finding a PhD program after your Masters too. Quite often the professor with whom you do your thesis offers a PhD position. Sometimes such a PhD can also be done in collaboration with a company in which case getting a permanent position within the company becomes quite simple thereafter. You might want to consider that option as well.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Shubhendu Jena

Tagging Seniors :

@[Imagery@Apu]
@[joshi65201]
@[Edulix_Editor]
@[ishansaxena45]
@[MSinCS14]

Hey guys, anyone? I have to go for US VI soon. I just got the German admit. Any response would be highly appreciated Smile

@[Rogue]
cneha1991

07-10-2017 12:10 AM
Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Itachi_Uchiha01 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(07-10-2017 12:10 AM)Rogue Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 11:33 AM)Itachi_Uchiha01 Wrote:  

No truth in this!!
Compare the study programs and the elements that it involves. In Europe, typically you shouldn't have any problem finding a PhD program after your Masters too. Quite often the professor with whom you do your thesis offers a PhD position. Sometimes such a PhD can also be done in collaboration with a company in which case getting a permanent position within the company becomes quite simple thereafter. You might want to consider that option as well.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Shubhendu Jena

Tagging Seniors :

@[Imagery@Apu]
@[joshi65201]
@[Edulix_Editor]
@[ishansaxena45]
@[MSinCS14]

Rogue
cneha1991

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I too have heard great things about the program. The proximity of several research institutes such as MPI, DFKI, M2CI also increases possibility of being involved in research during MS. The tuition fee being nil is the cherry on the top. Smile I think I will be taking up the MS offer from Saarland. Again, thanks a lot for your response. Smile
07-11-2017 12:34 AM
Rogue Offline

Rogue Offline

Good choice and Good luck with the Master program!!

07-13-2017 07:06 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread