Confusion! MS UCLA vs IISc PhD
lycurgus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

lycurgus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
RE: Confusion! MS UCLA vs IISc PhD
(07-13-2017 07:35 PM)The_Chharraa Wrote:  Also, if I may chip in, check how is the job situation in terms of hiring in the US in area of your interests after completion of MS from UCLA for internationals. Do employers prefer the ones who have some relevant experience ~2 years so. Do the groundwork for jobs, pay. Of course, these things may change but good to have a some rough idea.

Could you give me any tips on how do I do that? Like one thing is checking out LinkedIn and Glassdoor for opportunities ... Any other way? Unfortunately I do not have any seniors from my college whom I can ask. The target industry I am aiming at is semiconductor fab and related areas.. like CVD/PVD etc.. But as I said before things may change and I might work in other areas.. But how do I do the 'groundwork' as you have so nicely put it.
I was unable to find specific resources for Internationals..
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics offers some nice data..but I did not find anything about international candidates (was kind of expected, but still..).

The_Chharraa
07-14-2017 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
lycurgus: The two threads I've put in point #2 in my signature below every post, should get you started on understanding how hiring happens for many (if not most) non-research positions. Read through them carefully and completely, and then ask us any questions you have at that point. Once you understand what employers are looking for in a prospective employee, or what factors they might generally consider, go from there to ask insightful and pointed questions to network with your seniors and other people in your chosen industry better.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 12:50 AM by The_Observer.)
07-15-2017 12:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 5
(07-14-2017 10:22 PM)lycurgus Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 07:35 PM)The_Chharraa Wrote:  Also, if I may chip in, check how is the job situation in terms of hiring in the US in area of your interests after completion of MS from UCLA for internationals. Do employers prefer the ones who have some relevant experience ~2 years so. Do the groundwork for jobs, pay. Of course, these things may change but good to have a some rough idea.

Could you give me any tips on how do I do that? Like one thing is checking out LinkedIn and Glassdoor for opportunities ... Any other way? Unfortunately I do not have any seniors from my college whom I can ask. The target industry I am aiming at is semiconductor fab and related areas.. like CVD/PVD etc.. But as I said before things may change and I might work in other areas.. But how do I do the 'groundwork' as you have so nicely put it.
I was unable to find specific resources for Internationals..
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics offers some nice data..but I did not find anything about international candidates (was kind of expected, but still..).

@[Th e_Chharraa]

lycurgus Connect with people who have completed or are about to complete respective course. You do ground work with connecting people via linkedin, and such. If you don't use linkedin then look on the lab members (MS/Phd) of faculty web pages. Talk with them via phone or e-mail.

My VI||Info Bank ||Blog
Will not answer any PM, instead tag.
Until you understand this thread, keep reading it. Unless, and until you understand it, please try avoiding to apply to US.
Tag me if I could be of any help.
07-15-2017 08:10 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
1) Like The_Chharraa has said above, use LinkedIn. In fact, I'll go one step ahead of what he's said. He's told you what to do if you're not using LinkedIn. I'll go ahead and say this: if you're not using it, start. Now. Sooner the better. Get used to using it, get used to reaching people through LinkedIn. That's one of the most powerful tools in your arsenal and being able to use it effectively will help you immensely in your internship and job search.

2) In addition to the above, network using the Indian students' associations at different universities. There are generally a boatload of Indian students at almost every US school, and you'll find more than a few people willing to answer questions. Then ask them to refer you to people from other universities they do, who can give you info about other universities. That's how you expand your network and reach.

3) In the second thread I've linked to in point #2, there is a link to a very informative thread about how to start making the most out of LinkedIn. Start there.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
07-15-2017 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
lycurgus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

lycurgus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP AND GUIDANCE!! SmileSmileSmile
07-30-2017 01:50 PM
The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 5
You're welcome. If possible let us know your final decision (without shouting). Very Happy

My VI||Info Bank ||Blog
Will not answer any PM, instead tag.
Until you understand this thread, keep reading it. Unless, and until you understand it, please try avoiding to apply to US.
Tag me if I could be of any help.
08-01-2017 04:53 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread