• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fall 2018 | MS | MIS | G.R.E 322 (Q-169/V-153) | CGPA 7.01 | TOEFL 109 | PEC
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Unisearch: Link
RE: Fall 2018 | MS | MIS | G.R.E 322 (Q-169/V-153) | CGPA 7.01 | TOEFL 109 | PEC
The reason I asked you to read those posts was because I've written a lot of things that are very relevant to anyone who graduates from a university not in the top 20-30 or so (which UTD definitely isn't a part of). Those threads would actually give you a good starting picture of the overall situation here, and then the university-specific threads in the MIS forum would give you a picture of the specifics.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
12-07-2017 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 3
RE: Fall 2018 | MS | MIS | G.R.E 322 (Q-169/V-153) | CGPA 7.01 | TOEFL 109 | PEC
deep0209

1. getting the scholarship, - with your score,you should get it. If you hold 4.0(in some cases 3.9) and work hard in a club as an officer, you should be able to get it.
TA - Maintain 4.0. Get prof recs early and apply.

and other on-campus jobs. - get a referral else you will not even get an interview and you need luck as well.
2. getting an internship due to large batch size - batch size has nothing to do with the intern opportunities. While we do have internship fairs(which are mostly a farce this year), most of the work is done online through Linkedin, Indeed etc. Depends on your profile and the amount of time you spend in reaching out to recruiters(referrals are the lifeblood here).

And it is not 76 % Indians, it is 90% Indians in almost all mainstream technical courses like ITM, BA, CS.

Short bytes - Important guidelines in one line or less | Unisuggest | Profile evaluators

Reputation If my advice helped you, rep me.

UT Austin | UHMC | UTD | USF | CSU

Everyone has an opinion, but no one has a guarantee.
12-08-2017 03:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
prith24 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

prith24 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Most MIS or IS courses are 1.5 years to 2 years. My 2 cents on selecting a college to apply and your final decision should rest on the following factors. You can select your order of preference as you like.

1. The amount of money you are willing to spend.
2. The amount of time you are willing to spend.
3. The reputation of the university you are going too.
4. The location of the university you are going too.

On a side note your score and work experience should get you in most of the universities that offer a good MIS or IS program so getting an admit should not be a problem.

If you are looking for scholarships or TA, just remember the higher the class average in your college the more competition you have. I personally know people who scored a 330 on GRE but selected a university that offered a full tuition waiver. So the choice ultimately boils down to the 4 pointers I gave.

You should definitely look for some other universities like SUNY Buffalo, CMU, TAMU or Kelly(deadline may have passed).

All the best!

12-08-2017 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread