Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 106 | UG: 66.9%
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 106 | UG: 66.9%
Hi Team,

I graduated in Information Technology with 66.91% in 2014. I'm currently working in UnitedHealth Group as Software Developer since Feb '15. So I have around 2.5 years of experience. I'm looking forward to apply for the fall '18 session. I'm interested in Data Science (DS), Computer Science with Data Science specialization (CS in DS) or MIS (another interest of mine and a safer bet to get an admit).

My profile:

* GRE: 311 (Q 164, V 147, AWA 4.5)
* TOEFL: 106 (R 26, L 28, S 23, W 29)
* UG %: 66.91%
* Work experience of around 2.5 years as software developer in UHG where I worked on an application and did its enhancement work. Later I got an opportunity to work in R by doing data manipulation and visualization based on the data from same project in order to improve the overall project performance by analyzing the performance data and proposing optimal solutions.
* Completed online trainings in R & Tableau and classroom trainings in Java & C++ with certifications.
* Also worked in projects at school and college:
- Emulated Pacman game in C++
- Developed an application in Java to implement steganography and also prepared an algorithm to encrypt it using biometrics
- Database project for replenishment of products at a departmental store by analyzing the correlation between certain products.

Hence, I have good command in coding and algorithm in various languages and currently as I'm working in R, at an intermediate level though, but I am really intrigued by the idea of what we can do with that much amount of data and how we can analyze it based on different trends and estabilish patterns to improve performance.

I feel that I'll be able to write a good SOP and should get good LORs too based on my performance in my work.

However, I've been told that for MS in DS, I need to have an extensive work experience and knowledge in Data Science which I think I may lack. So it might be hard to get an admit for MS in DS. Although I'm doing more advanced courses of R to help me develop a better understanding of the language. Still, DS being a tough nut for me to crack based on my profile, I have decided to apply in Computer Science with Data Science specialization too in some universities so that I can have a better chance of getting an admit. Also, just to be on the safer side to get an admit, I have decided to apply in MIS too in couple of universities.

I feel from past admit trends that chances of getting an admit are in the following order:

DS < CS < MIS

Hence, Im trying to play around all three so that I can try to get the specialization that Im looking for without putting my chances at risk of not getting an admit at all.

I'm looking to apply in 7/8 universities. After some research, I've chosen the below Universities in bold (although I have mentioned additional options too):

Ambitious
---------
Indiana University Bloomington DS

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities DS
North Carolina State University CS
Texas A&M University MIS

Moderate
--------

University of San Francisco DS
Northeastern University DS
University of Southern California CS
University of Colorado - Boulder CS
Arizona State University CS
Iowa State University CS

Safe
----
Illinois Institute of Technology DS
University of Texas - Dallas CS
Georgia State University MIS

My Edulix Infobank - http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=335731

Please evaluate my profile. I would be grateful if you could help me suggest which universities I should be applying in where I might have the best chance based on my profile. Please let me know which universities are incorrectly categorized, what all I got wrong and help me update them. Feel free to add or remove any university according to you. Thanks!

Prateek Tyagi
MS in DS/CS/MIS | Fall '18
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 01:52 PM by prateektyagi.)
07-14-2017 12:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 472
RE: FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100* | UG: 66.9%
Hi:

I like the fact that you have done your homework very well. Here is my input based on my judgement and a quick UniSuggest look-up:

Ambitious
---------
University of California - San Diego (DS)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (DS)

Texas A&M University (MIS)

Moderate
--------
University of Southern California (DS)
Indiana University Bloomington (DS)
Okhlahoma State University (DS)
Northeastern University (DS)

Arizona State University (CS)
North Carolina State University (CS) (AVERAGE GRE = 314 for CS)
University of Florida (CS) (AVERAGE GRE = 313 for CS)
Northwestern University(CS) (UniSuggest: 252 admissions with average GRE of 312, GPA =3.43)
Iowa State University (CS)

Safe
----
Illinois Institute of Technology (DS)

University of Texas - Dallas (CS)

SUNY Buffalo (MIS)
Georgia State University (MIS)

Overall, great list; tweak it 1 more time and you are set to go....

cheers,

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 12:03 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
07-14-2017 11:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100* | UG: 66.9%
Why bother applying to MIS programs? Sure, getting into DS programs isn't easy, but that's no reason to apply to a completely different type of program. You have a decent profile and should get in somewhere for DS. Applying for MSCS programs in DS as a backup is something I can understand, because those are up your alley as far as interests go. But, in my opinion, applying to MS programs in MIS with your profile is a waste of money, because (a) you are more interested in DS than MIS, and (b) even if you get into only MIS programs, do you really think it's smart spending upwards of $30k on something you truly don't like and want to get into? If you're not a 100% sold on a program, why bother applying? Won't it be better to spend that application money on something more suitable to your interests?

And read through the two threads I've linked to in point #2 below.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
07-15-2017 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

(07-14-2017 11:54 PM)Edulix_Editor Wrote:  Hi:

I like the fact that you have done your homework very well. Here is my input based on my judgement and a quick UniSuggest look-up:

Ambitious
---------
University of California - San Diego (DS)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (DS)

Texas A&M University (MIS)

Moderate
--------
University of Southern California (DS)
Indiana University Bloomington (DS)
Okhlahoma State University (DS)
Northeastern University (DS)

Arizona State University (CS)
North Carolina State University (CS) (AVERAGE GRE = 314 for CS)
University of Florida (CS) (AVERAGE GRE = 313 for CS)
Northwestern University(CS) (UniSuggest: 252 admissions with average GRE of 312, GPA =3.43)
Iowa State University (CS)

Safe
----
Illinois Institute of Technology (DS)

University of Texas - Dallas (CS)

SUNY Buffalo (MIS)
Georgia State University (MIS)

Overall, grad list; tweak it 1 more time and you are set to go....

cheers,

EE

Thanks for your feedback!

NCSU is moderate for me and not ambitious? I thought NCSU is too ambitious for me based on my profile and I was actually about to replace it with some other university. But if you are saying it is moderate for me, I'll just leave it under ambitious Razz

Also, I did some more research by going to each university's website and I removed some universities (for different reasons like tuition fees, requirements or course description), so the list is shorter now.

Although I came up with some doubts -

UMTC Data Science course seems to be way too expensive and it almost touches $80k. Although the tuition fees description seems a bit vague so im not sure if I calculated correctly. Can someone please verify that?

SUNY Bufflao MIS course has a minimum requirement of GRE verbal 152 so Im dropping that too. Not sure if they provide any leniency in that area but Im gonna remove it for now.

Please review the latest updated list.

Prateek Tyagi
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 11:38 PM by prateektyagi.)
07-15-2017 11:38 PM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

(07-15-2017 08:14 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  Why bother applying to MIS programs? Sure, getting into DS programs isn't easy, but that's no reason to apply to a completely different type of program. You have a decent profile and should get in somewhere for DS. Applying for MSCS programs in DS as a backup is something I can understand, because those are up your alley as far as interests go. But, in my opinion, applying to MS programs in MIS with your profile is a waste of money, because (a) you are more interested in DS than MIS, and (b) even if you get into only MIS programs, do you really think it's smart spending upwards of $30k on something you truly don't like and want to get into? If you're not a 100% sold on a program, why bother applying? Won't it be better to spend that application money on something more suitable to your interests?

And read through the two threads I've linked to in point #2 below.

Its not that I dont like the MIS curriculum. Its just Im more inclined towards Data Science and just to be on the safer side if I can apply to couple of universities in MIS, that's not a problem for me. MIS offers more managerial approach in business part of the industry, like a business analyst and that's fine by me too. Even still if you feel I shouldnt go for MIS, can you please review my university shortlist and suggest some changes? Thanks!

Prateek Tyagi
07-16-2017 12:33 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Let me dispel a few myths:

Quote:MIS offers more managerial approach in business part of the industry, like a business analyst and that's fine by me too

Business is not management. Those 2 things are related, sure, but NOT interchangeable. You might get hired as a business analyst after an MS in MIS, but being a manager is a completely different thing. You are NOT going to get hired as a manager immediately after completing your degree, unless you already have some quality management experience under your belt (read: at least a couple of years of being a manager, if not more).

An MIS program does NOT give anything even remotely like "managerial approach". Managing things, be it resources, priorities, timelines, projects or what have you, is an art, and something you learn by working. No program can and does teach you that. All that an MS in MIS (or for that matter, an MBA) will teach you, are skill you'd need to succeed as a manager. But, that said, nobody is going to hire you to manage anything unless you have had some experience down that road already. So, if I were you, I'd think carefully about where I want my career to go in the short- and long-terms, and how an MS degree (be it CS, DS or MIS) fits into it.

Since you've asked me to comment on your list:

Indiana University Bloomington DS - mod
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities DS - mod-ambi
North Carolina State University CS - ambi
Texas A&M University MIS - ambi
University of San Francisco DS - why? safe
Northeastern University DS - mod
University of Southern California CS - mod
Arizona State University CS - mod
Iowa State University CS - ambi-mod
Illinois Institute of Technology DS - safe
University of Texas - Dallas CS - safe
Georgia State University MIS - safe-mod

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
07-16-2017 12:54 AM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100* | UG: 66.9%
(07-16-2017 12:54 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  Let me dispel a few myths:

Quote:MIS offers more managerial approach in business part of the industry, like a business analyst and that's fine by me too

Business is not management. Those 2 things are related, sure, but NOT interchangeable. You might get hired as a business analyst after an MS in MIS, but being a manager is a completely different thing. You are NOT going to get hired as a manager immediately after completing your degree, unless you already have some quality management experience under your belt (read: at least a couple of years of being a manager, if not more).

An MIS program does NOT give anything even remotely like "managerial approach". Managing things, be it resources, priorities, timelines, projects or what have you, is an art, and something you learn by working. No program can and does teach you that. All that an MS in MIS (or for that matter, an MBA) will teach you, are skill you'd need to succeed as a manager. But, that said, nobody is going to hire you to manage anything unless you have had some experience down that road already. So, if I were you, I'd think carefully about where I want my career to go in the short- and long-terms, and how an MS degree (be it CS, DS or MIS) fits into it.

Since you've asked me to comment on your list:

Indiana University Bloomington DS - mod
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities DS - mod-ambi
North Carolina State University CS - ambi
Texas A&M University MIS - ambi
University of San Francisco DS - why? safe
Northeastern University DS - mod
University of Southern California CS - mod
Arizona State University CS - mod
Iowa State University CS - ambi-mod
Illinois Institute of Technology DS - safe
University of Texas - Dallas CS - safe
Georgia State University MIS - safe-mod

Thanks a lot for your help. Maybe I could've put it in a better way. Anyway, what I meant to say was MIS offers a more of a business analyst role than technical one and Im ok with either one. Although my preference would always be for that of a technical role but Im open to business analyst role as well. Its still way too early to think about what exact job profile I might or might not get. Im just thinking about the course I wanna apply in based on the potential career options that course offers which I might be interested in. Management for that matter never interests me else I would've gone for MBA and not MS, so Im not applying in MIS for that reason. Its solely because it puts me in a safer position to get an admit and it offers a job profile that I might be interested in. Anyway, thanks again for reviewing my university list.

University of San Francisco is not good for Data Science?

Also, if you want, you can even add some other universities to the list as well. Thanks!

Prateek Tyagi
07-16-2017 12:39 PM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

I added one more to the list today.

University of Colorado - Boulder (MS in CS)

Should I put it under moderate?

Prateek Tyagi
07-16-2017 11:05 PM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
RE: FALL 18 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100*
Replying inline.

Hi Team,

I graduated in Information Technology with 66.91% in 2014. I'm currently working in UnitedHealth Group as Software Developer since Feb '15. So I have around 2.5 years of experience. I'm looking forward to apply for the fall '18 session. I'm interested in Data Science (DS), Computer Science with Data Science specialization (CS in DS) or MIS (just to be on the safer side to get an admit).

MIS is way different than MS in CS or DS brother. You need to revisit your Goals. The_Observer is correct.

My profile:

* GRE: 311 (Q 164, V 147, AWA 4.5) Is it possible to retake and do better than this? If yes, I recommend doing it.
* TOEFL: Waiting for result (expecting around 100)
* UG %: 66.91%
* Work experience of around 2.5 years as software developer in UHG where I worked on an application and did its enhancement work. Later I got an opportunity to work in R by doing data manipulation and visualization based on the data from same project in order to improve the overall project performance by analyzing the performance data and proposing optimal solutions.
* Completed online trainings in R & Tableau and classroom trainings in Java & C++.
* Also worked in projects at school and college:
- Emulated Pacman game in C++
- Developed an application in Java to implement steganography and also prepared an algorithm to encrypt it using biometrics
- Database project for replenishment of products at a departmental store by analyzing the correlation between certain products.

Hence, I have good command in coding and algorithm in various languages and currently as I'm working in R, at an intermediate level though, but I am really intrigued by the idea of what we can do with that much amount of data and how we can analyze it based on different trends and estabilish patterns to improve performance.

I feel that I'll be able to write a good SOP and should get good LORs too based on my performance in my work.

Good that you have the above worked out. Remember your would need two academic recommendations. You can take one from your corporate manager. Why?
Because you are going to pursue an advanced academic degree, and the opinion of your professors matter much more than your manager's.

However, I've been told that for MS in DS, I need to have an extensive work experience and knowledge in Data Science which I think I may lack. So it might be hard to get an admit for MS in DS. Although I'm doing more advanced courses of R to help me have a better understanding of the language. Still, DS being a tough nut for me to crack based on my profile, I have decided to apply in Computer Science with Data Science specialization too in some universities so that I can have a better chance of getting an admit. Also, just to be on the safer side to get an admit, I have decided to apply in MIS too in couple of universities.

You've been misguided. MS in CS with specialization in DS/AI/ML is way more tougher to crack than MS in DS. Why? Because pursuing a degree in pure DS narrows your scope, and more often than not, it can hurt you back. And that is the reason way more people apply for MS in CS, and decide to do a specialization instead. That shall allow you to switch fields later too, just in case. However, if you're sure that you want to pursue MS in DS, go ahead, but beware.

I feel from past admit trends that chances of getting an admit are in the following order:

DS < CS < MIS

MS CS with specialization in DS << MS CS with specialization in something else < MS in DS << MIS

Hence, Im trying to play around all three so that I can try to get the specialization that Im looking for without putting my chances at risk of not getting an admit at all.

I'm looking to apply in 7/8 universities. After some research, I've chosen the below Universities in bold (although I have mentioned additional options too):

The_Observer has done a fairly well job in evaluating your unis, and I would have suggested the same.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
07-17-2017 12:13 AM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

RE: FALL 18 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | G311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100*
@[gurkanwals] Thanks for you suggestions. I have some input and queries based on your feedback.

MIS is way different than MS in CS or DS brother. You need to revisit your Goals. The_Observer is correct.

I agree with you & The_Observer and Im not comparing CS/DS with MIS. I know both are totally different. I explained this in a better way in one of my posts above. Im saying I have an interest in both. Isnt it possible that someone having good technical knowledge might also have an interest in MBA marketing? True both fields have nothing to do with each other but people can have different interests, right? Having said that, Im repeating this again that my priority is a technical role which CS/DS offers but I can also be interested in a business analyst role offerd by MIS when it also offers me a safer bet to get an admit. Its not that Im applying in 3-4 univ for MIS. It would be 2 at max and mainly mod and safe.
It has nothing to do with the other university options having CS/DS specialization. If I get a decent university for both CS/DS & MIS, I would surely go for CS/DS. But if god forbid I dont get an admit for CS/DS and just MIS, then I would atleast have an option to pursue MS with another interest of mine.

Is it possible to retake and do better than this? If yes, I recommend doing it.

This is a bit tricky. I know I prepared hard and I was getting decent score in mock tests. The score on my actual test day for each section was 3 points lesser each than the average score I was getting in the mocks. I have no regrets with my preparation or my test day performance. Even if I retake GRE, Im sure it would improve my score by 2-3 points at max. It can go the other way as well and that's the reason I dropped the idea of retaking GRE.

Good that you have the above worked out. Remember your would need two academic recommendations. You can take one from your corporate manager. Why?
Because you are going to pursue an advanced academic degree, and the opinion of your professors matter much more than your manager's.

I didnt know this. I was thinking about getting 2 LORs from managers and 1 from college professor. Now that you have mentioned this, Ill reconsider this and will try to get 2 from college and 1 from office. Thanks!

You've been misguided. MS in CS with specialization in DS/AI/ML is way more tougher to crack than MS in DS. Why? Because pursuing a degree in pure DS narrows your scope, and more often than not, it can hurt you back. And that is the reason way more people apply for MS in CS, and decide to do a specialization instead. That shall allow you to switch fields later too, just in case. However, if you're sure that you want to pursue MS in DS, go ahead, but beware.

I agree MS in DS puts you in a position where you have narrowed options for jobs perspective whereas MS in CS is much broader with other options as well. But I heard that for DS specialized course, they expect you to have extensive knowledge and work experience to be considered by the university. That's why I had a feeling that DS might be tougher to crack than CS.

MS CS with specialization in DS << MS CS with specialization in something else < MS in DS << MIS

Ok now Im confused. I understand if you say that CS in DS is tougher to get than DS. But CS in DS is tougher than CS in any? I mean dont we chose CS specialization (DS or any) when we actually start the course in college? Do we have to mention the specialization at the time of applying for the university? If we just apply for CS and select specialization (main subjetcs, electives, etc) after going there, how does that make a difference in my chances of getting an admit?

Prateek Tyagi
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 01:20 AM by prateektyagi.)
07-17-2017 01:08 AM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
prateektyagi

I agree MS in DS puts you in a position where you have narrowed options for jobs perspective whereas MS in CS is much broader with other options as well. But I heard that for DS specialized course, they expect you to have extensive knowledge and work experience to be considered by the university. That's why I had a feeling that DS might be tougher to crack than CS.

If you're applying for an MS in DS, you're going for the specialization because you've worked somewhat in the field and want to broaden your knowledge in it. If what you're saying is the way it actually was, no one would have been able to get into DS programs, as no one would "have extensive knowledge and work experience to be considered by the university". It's not that tough as you're thinking. One goes to university to get the required knowledge, and it is not the other way around. Show genuine interest, back it up with initiative and you're good to go.

Ok now Im confused. I understand if you say that CS in DS is tougher to get than DS. But CS in DS is tougher than CS in any? I mean dont we chose CS specialization (DS or any) when we actually start the course in college? Do we have to mention the specialization at the time of applying for the university? If we just apply for CS and select specialization (main subjetcs, electives, etc) after going there, how does that make a difference in my chances of getting an admit?

1. But CS in DS is tougher than CS in any? Now a days, yes.
2. I mean dont we chose CS specialization (DS or any) when we actually start the course in college? Do we have to mention the specialization at the time of applying for the university? We choose it when we actually start the course. But you have to tell them something in your SoP, won't you? And if you mention DS/ML at that time, your chances reduce drastically coz many others are doing the same thing. However, if you mentioned computer networks or say information security, you suddenly are in a different category. And universities want a mix of students [from all categories] which then implies that your chances of acceptance have increased. Also, there is no such thing as "just applying for CS". This is not undergraduate admissions. They expect you to have an idea of what you want to do as a graduate student, and mentioning nothing in sop will only ruin your chances. Hope this helped.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
07-17-2017 01:33 AM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

RE: FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | G311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 100* | UG: 66.9%
gurkanwals

If you're applying for an MS in DS, you're going for the specialization because you've worked somewhat in the field and want to broaden your knowledge in it. If what you're saying is the way it actually was, no one would have been able to get into DS programs, as no one would "have extensive knowledge and work experience to be considered by the university". It's not that tough as you're thinking. One goes to university to get the required knowledge, and it is not the other way around. Show genuine interest, back it up with initiative and you're good to go.

Alright thanks. That's a relief.

1. But CS in DS is tougher than CS in any? Now a days, yes.
2. I mean dont we chose CS specialization (DS or any) when we actually start the course in college? Do we have to mention the specialization at the time of applying for the university? We choose it when we actually start the course. But you have to tell them something in your SoP, won't you? And if you mention DS/ML at that time, your chances reduce drastically coz many others are doing the same thing. However, if you mentioned computer networks or say information security, you suddenly are in a different category. And universities want a mix of students [from all categories] which then implies that your chances of acceptance have increased. Also, there is no such thing as "just applying for CS". This is not undergraduate admissions. They expect you to have an idea of what you want to do as a graduate student, and mentioning nothing in sop will only ruin your chances. Hope this helped.

Ok I get it now. What if someone mentions
CN/IS in their SOP and not DS and then later when they start college, they chose DS instead. Is it possible?

Prateek Tyagi
07-17-2017 01:41 AM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

TOEFL score updated.

Prateek Tyagi
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 01:39 PM by prateektyagi.)
07-18-2017 09:44 PM
prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

prateektyagi Offline
New Edulixian

RE: FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 106 | UG: 66.9%
Edulix_Editor
The_Observer
gurkanwals

Can you please clear some of my queries?

1. UMTC Data Science course seems to be way too expensive and it almost touches $80k. Although the tuition fees description on their website seems a bit vague so im not sure if I calculated correctly. Can someone please verify that?

2. How is University of San Francisco for Data Science?

3. Is University of Colorado - Boulder (MS in CS) moderate for my profile?

4. Regarding SOP, what if someone mentions CN/IS in their SOP as their area of interest in CS and not DS and then later when they start college, they chose DS instead. Is it possible or will they hold your SOP against that?

Thanks!

Prateek Tyagi
07-19-2017 01:38 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

RE: FALL 2018 | MS | DS/CS/MIS | GRE: 311 (Q164,V147), AWA: 4.5 | TOEFL: 106 | UG: 66.9%
Quote:1. UMTC Data Science course seems to be way too expensive and it almost touches $80k. Although the tuition fees description on their website seems a bit vague so im not sure if I calculated correctly. Can someone please verify that?

Let me walk you through the math here.

Step 1: Find out the number of credits your desired program has. In this case, the MS-DS at UMN, which has 31 credits, as given in this page.

Step 2: Assume you'll be taking 3 courses, i.e. 9 credits each semester. You can of course take more than that, but doing so is not recommended, at least in the first semester. 3 credits a semester means you'd spend 3 hours in-class per week, and then at least 3 times that amount in homework/projects/assignments outside of class, each week. So for 9 credits, you should expect to study for a good 36 hours, which is almost equivalent to a full-time job. With a 4th course, you'd add at least 12 more hours of study each week, and I'm not sure you want to do that unless you have a really good reason.

Alternatively, you can follow the sample curriculum given on their website - which is not a requirement, mind you, so you DO NOT need to follow either sample plan - and that means you might take 11 or 14 credits in your first semester, depending on how many courses you take.

Step 3: Anyway, so once you're done with estimating how many credits you'd take each semester, go to the tuition page, which for UMN is here. As given on that page, the current non-resident tuition for 6 to 14 graduate credits at UMN is $26,988, with the total estimated expenses coming out to $44,784.

Step 4: Now add the totals up for each semester, depending on the # of credits you plan to take up in each semester of study at UMN. For the sample plan # 1, that means ($44,784 * 3) = $134,352. For sample plan #2, that number becomes ($44,784 * 4) = $179,136.

2. How is University of San Francisco for Data Science?

The university itself is decent. Not the best and not the worst. But, it is expensive. And San Fransisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. So, I'd say if you get into a better and cheaper option, go elsewhere. I wouldn't spend that much money going to the bay area unless I get into a school such as UCal Berkeley.

3. Is University of Colorado - Boulder (MS in CS) moderate for my profile?

Yes.

4. Regarding SOP, what if someone mentions CN/IS in their SOP as their area of interest in CS and not DS and then later when they start college, they chose DS instead. Is it possible or will they hold your SOP against that?

No, they won't do that. A lot of people realize after getting admission, or even after starting a program that they don't want to specialize in something they planned on doing earlier. That's fine and it won't be held against you. But, for the purposes of getting admitted, you need to have a good SOP nevertheless, wherein you do need to mention a specialization (or if you're doubtful about which one, mention 2 possible specializations you're interested in, and why). That's because regardless of what you do down the line, as a prospective grad student, you're expected to have an idea of something you like and are passionate about, and what you want to probably specialize in, at least when you start the program. Everyone understands that interests can -
and often do - change over time, so if you're unsure of a specialization right now, pick a program that doesn't constrain you too much in that sense, and allows you to switch from an earlier declared specialization/track to another (because not all schools allow such a change later on). So, if that's what you think you might need to do down the line, make sure you contact each probable school on your list, and ask them specifically about how easy/hard/possible it is to change tracks midway into your MS.

P.S. Very important note: while planning for grad studies' finances and budgeting, plan to keep aside about 5-10% of money that you expect to spend every semester, because most universities these days (if not all) may generally hike their fees by that amount every year.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 02:35 AM by The_Observer.)
09-14-2017 02:03 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread