shambhavitripathi Offline
New Edulixian

New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
URGENT!!! Job situation after MS in US currently
Hi all,
Currently I am reading about many posts of current students that they are not getting jobs after MS. Even after talking to seniors in US, they are saying that hiring is at freeze. I have also got admits from not so good universities in canada (for CS), so considering that. So what really is the job situation there in US? Is there any senior who can comment on it? Because I don't want to pay back huge loans with Indian salary!! Please help urgently!
07-14-2017 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
RE: URGENT!!! Job situation after MS in US currently
1) Stop freaking out.

2) Stop freaking out. Like, seriously.

3) After you've composed yourself, consider this: the situation in the US to get jobs was never easy. The only people who think it's easy to get jobs here, are those who haven't gone through the grind.

4) That being said, it is possible to get a job here with enough hard work. Sure, the job situation might worsen a bit, but if that scares you, quit right now. Getting a job is not remotely the hardest thing here.

5) Read through the two threads I've linked to in my signature. Once you've gone through them carefully, understand what it takes to get a job here, and then consider your options. Decide if you're ready and willing and able to put in the hard work that needed, and if yes, continue down this path. Else, as I said above, quit right now before you jump headfirst into grad school here in the US.

6) Oh and before I forget, individual companies might have hiring freezes, sure, but (a) such hiring freezes are temporary and might last for a year or two at the most - because sooner or later, companies would need and want to get new employees. Also, (b) there is no US-wide hiring freeze as such - such a thing doesn't, can't and won't happen. Again, companies somewhere will always be looking for quality employees. The keyword here is "quality" - the number of employers hiring might be less, sure, but if you're able to demonstrate your skills and prove your worth to an employer, no reason why you wouldn't be hired.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
07-14-2017 08:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
New Edulixian

New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
RE: URGENT!!! Job situation after MS in US currently
Ok thanks so much! Two things I want to ask:
1. I also have admits from university in Canada. So should I prefer Canada over US? I have heard jobs are less there in Canada

2. I have got an admit for MS CS and i want to specialize in cybersecurity. So do you have any idea if it is tough to get jobs in this field in US for international students, or are only locals hired for cybersec jobs?
07-15-2017 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread