Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2.75 Average
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 325 (Q-167/V-158) | GPA 8.6 |TOEFL 111| NIT, Kurukshetra
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 325 (Q-167/V-158) | GPA 8.6 |TOEFL 111| NIT, Kurukshetra
Hi. I am planning to apply for Computer/Software systems specialization.
My profile is as-
26 months of strong work-ex at time of applying.
GRE 325.
NIT Kurukshetra Information Technology. CGPA 8.6
Created 2 good internship application from scratch with complete ownership.
2 good undergrad projects(ML and speech recognition)
Strong work exp in a top US bank and an MNC before that.
Created a big data analytics web application's front end and many end to end features.
Did security features and end-to-end context-based search, logging and error management in distributed environment for another sofware.
2 LORS from Profs(One from Project guide, another from Networks subject prof where I scored highest in the batch). 1 LOR from Director of present company.
No publications.
Decent extracurriculars
1 year NGO experience. (I'll probably skip this one in the SOPs)

Please give a list of super-ambi, ambi,moderate and safe programs based on my profile.

Georgia Tech
Columbia
Purdue
UCLA
UCSD
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)
UC-Irvine
UC Davis
UC SB
UMCP
UMass Amherst
Purdue
NCSU

Thanks in advance.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 01:35 PM by dpli_fall2018.)
07-20-2017 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 5
RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 325 (Q-167/V-158) | GPA 8.6 | NIT, Kurukshetra
Hello deepali,

Please mention about your work experience more: profile, employer. One-liner about the good projects. Please mention in brief about your experience of US bank, profile, skills.
Second, please trim the list to 12-14 Universities you had put above. None would be able to sort, evaluate the list you have put.

Will not answer any PM, instead tag.
Until you understand this thread, keep reading it. Unless, and until you understand it, please try avoiding to apply to US.
07-20-2017 11:47 PM
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

(07-20-2017 11:47 PM)The_Chharraa Wrote:  Hello deepali,

Please mention about your work experience more: profile, employer. One-liner about the good projects. Please mention in brief about your experience of US bank, profile, skills.
Second, please trim the list to 12-14 Universities you had put above. None would be able to sort, evaluate the list you have put.

Hello!

Trimming the list as follows:

Georgia Tech
Columbia
Purdue
UCLA
UCSD
UC-Irvine
UC Davis
UC SB
UMCP
UMass Amherst
Purdue
NCSU

Skills- AngularJS, JavaScript, Java, Solr, ElasticSearch.

1. Internship with Airports authority of India- complete web application for complaint management system.
2. Internship with Air India- complete training management system utilizing self-learning algorithm.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 12:50 PM by dpli_fall2018.)
07-21-2017 12:04 AM
The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 5
Please put the above details in info bank. Also, profile or work nature of 26 months would be great too.

Will not answer any PM, instead tag.
Until you understand this thread, keep reading it. Unless, and until you understand it, please try avoiding to apply to US.
07-21-2017 01:14 AM
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

(07-21-2017 01:14 AM)The_Chharraa Wrote:  Please put the above details in info bank. Also, profile or work nature of 26 months would be great too.

Hi Sir
I have updated my infobank profile.

Thank you!
07-21-2017 10:12 AM
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

Tagging seniors.
Thanks in advance

Edulix_Editor
gurkanwals
The_Observer
Chirantar
Lakshay Kharbanda
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 06:03 PM by dpli_fall2018.)
07-22-2017 06:49 PM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
dpli_fall2018
First of all, Please correct your tags. You do not have to put spaces after "[" and before "]".

You have fairly good profile, although I cannot provide completely accurate feedback [due to lack of a detailed profile post].

Also, I had a pretty similar profile [you happen to have more work ex, however, I had a couple papers]. Please follow the links in my signature, they might be of help to you.

Next, I have to say that you have not done your research at all and have just listed down the top 30 universities for MS CS. I'm sorry but no one would be able to help unless you shortlist universities a bit on your own. Maybe converge onto 15 universities, and we can help you trim down to 10-11.

Q: How to shortlist universities?
A: Find which universities are doing pioneering work in your area of interest. See their profs, and see if you find their work interesting. Look for unis location - does it suit you or not. How much is the tuition? How is social life? Also see where their latest alumni are working - Linkedin is a good tool for this. Find alumni of that university on facebook/quora etc and approach them and ask them if you're making the right choice. Make an excel sheet, have each uni as a row, and list out various characteristics that you care about as columns. Fill it up, and prioritize. Trim down on a select few. While you do that, make sure you have a mix of unis - 1-2 ultra ambi, 2-3 ambi, 2-3 mod+, 1-2 safe+. When you select a uni, ask yourself, "If I get rejected from all others, and this is the only option, will I be happy to go there?" If the answer is yes, add it. Else move on to the next.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
07-22-2017 11:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi I have updated the list of universities after doing my research. Tagging more seniors.

gamekathu
bigkeydi
MSinCS14
Imagery@Apu
Leafcutter

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 02:10 PM by dpli_fall2018.)
08-30-2017 02:18 PM
Chirantar Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Chirantar Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 3
(07-21-2017 12:04 AM)dpli_fall2018 Wrote:  
(07-20-2017 11:47 PM)The_Chharraa Wrote:  Hello deepali,

Hello!

Trimming the list and categorizing it as follows:

Super-Ambi
GATech
UW-Madison
UCLA
Columbia
Cornell

Ambi
UCSD
UCLA
UMCP
UPenn
Purdue

Moderate
USC
UMass-Amherst
UVirginia
NYU
UC-Irvine
Northwestern
TAMU

Safe
UNC-Chapel hill
UC-Santa Barbara
UC-Davis
Stony Brook
NCSU
SUNY Buffalo

I'm sorry that due to confidential nature of my work(banking), I cannot discuss it here. However I can expound on the skills and projects-

Skills- AngularJS, JavaScript, Java, Solr, ElasticSearch.

1. Internship with Airports authority of India- complete web application for complaint management system.
2. Internship with Air India- complete training management system utilizing self-learning algorithm.

For Trimming list remove Columbia and Cornell and UCLA. UNC-Chappel Hill will be in moderate while UC Irvine, Northwestern and NYU will be in ambitious

Infobank
TUM | TUB | Chalmers | KTH | Western Ontario
Destination: TUM
+Reputation
if my post helps
09-01-2017 09:36 PM
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

09-11-2017 02:10 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
UNC Chapel Hill and UCSB as a safe? May I have some of what you're smoking? Rolling Eyes Laughing

The first rule is for applicants to not do any self-categorization, so please edit all the posts where you've done that. It's highly misleading for other people who won't know any better.

GATech - ambi-mod
UW-Madison - ambi
UCLA - ambi-mod
Columbia - ambi-mod
Cornell - ambi-mod
UCSD - mod-ambi
UMCP - ambi
UPenn - ambi-mod
Purdue - ambi
USC - safe-mod
UMass-Amherst - ambi
UVirginia - ambi
NYU - ambi-mod
UC-Irvine - mod
Northwestern - ambi
TAMU - ambi
UNC-Chapel hill - ambi, recommend drop
UC-Santa Barbara - ambi-mod
UC-Davis - mod
Stony Brook - ambi-mod
NCSU - mod
SUNY Buffalo - mod

You have a single safe school in the above list. Go through the other threads here on Edulix, as well as the UniSuggest and UniSearch systems, and come up with a better list after you go through university websites and think about which programs you really want to apply to. A suggested breakdown is 2-3 safe schools, 3 moderates and 3-4 ambi schools. Be sure you only include those schools whose programs and research you really like and would like to be a part of. For your initial list, it's okay to have about 15 or so schools in your initial list, and we'll help you trim that number down. But we do need you to put in the legwork on your own, and don't expect to handed stuff on a silver platter here on Edulix. Looking through univ websites to ascertain which schools' programs you like, is your job. Ask for help if you need it, but not for spoon-feeding.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 05:11 AM by The_Observer.)
09-12-2017 04:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

dpli_fall2018 Offline
New Edulixian

(09-12-2017 04:45 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  UNC Chapel Hill and UCSB as a safe? May I have some of what you're smoking? Rolling Eyes Laughing

The first rule is for applicants to not do any self-categorization, so please edit all the posts where you've done that. It's highly misleading for other people who won't know any better.

GATech - ambi-mod
UW-Madison - ambi
UCLA - ambi-mod
Columbia - ambi-mod
Cornell - ambi-mod
UCSD - mod-ambi
UMCP - ambi
UPenn - ambi-mod
Purdue - ambi
USC - safe-mod
UMass-Amherst - ambi
UVirginia - ambi
NYU - ambi-mod
UC-Irvine - mod
Northwestern - ambi
TAMU - ambi
UNC-Chapel hill - ambi, recommend drop
UC-Santa Barbara - ambi-mod
UC-Davis - mod
Stony Brook - ambi-mod
NCSU - mod
SUNY Buffalo - mod

You have a single safe school in the above list. Go through the other threads here on Edulix, as well as the UniSuggest and UniSearch systems, and come up with a better list after you go through university websites and think about which programs you really want to apply to. A suggested breakdown is 2-3 safe schools, 3 moderates and 3-4 ambi schools. Be sure you only include those schools whose programs and research you really like and would like to be a part of. For your initial list, it's okay to have about 15 or so schools in your initial list, and we'll help you trim that number down. But we do need you to put in the legwork on your own, and don't expect to handed stuff on a silver platter here on Edulix. Looking through univ websites to ascertain which schools' programs you like, is your job. Ask for help if you need it, but not for spoon-feeding.

I had already updated my list without categorization in the first post. Sorry that you picked up an older list from the unupdated post from the time when I had not done my research. Now I've updated all the posts. Smile

This is the new one. I'll be grateful if you can help me with this one.

Georgia Tech
Columbia
Purdue
UCLA
UCSD
UC-Irvine
UC Davis
UC SB
UMCP
UMass Amherst
Purdue
NCSU
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 12:52 PM by dpli_fall2018.)
09-14-2017 12:48 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Your "new" list is just a subset of the original one. You want to roll with so many mod and ambi schools? You had one safe in the original list (USC), and now you don't even have that. Sure you want to play that risky game?

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-15-2017 08:59 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread