amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 326 (Q-170/V-156) | CGPA 9.22 | TOEFL - NA | WBUT
Hi everybody,

I am planning to apply for MS in CS with specialization in the fields of ML/AI. Please evaluate my profile given below:
UG CGPA: 9.22/10.0, West Bengal University of Technology
PG CGPA: 9.62/10, BITS Pilani (M.Tech in Software Engineering, after two semesters, funded by company)
GRE: 326 (170Q + 156V, 4.5 AWA)
TOEFL: Yet to take.
Work Experience:
#1 year at SAP Labs India(Working as Developer+Student)
Working as Full Stack and Machine Learning Developer, part of SAP India's Machine Learning community

Internships:
Internships: 3
#Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Indian Space Research Organization
Topic : Data Mining on weekly Public Health Data of Dehradun District
# Codeblix (a NASSCOM startup)
Topic : Developed a hybrid app for ride sharing
# Ontrack Systems Limited
Topic : Worked in solving customer queries and developed a small website

I have 5 papers.
#Accepted - 3
(2 at IEEE conferences, 1 at a USA based journal)
1) Empirical Study to Evaluate the Performance of Classification Algorithms on Healthcare Datasets (http://www.hrpub.org/journals/article_in...?aid=5730)
2) Data mining techniques in Indian healthcare: A short review (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7456611/)
3) Application of twitter in health care sector for India (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7507896/)

#Submitted -2 (Both to Springer)
1) Data Mining on weekly Public Health data of Dehradun District - Submitted to Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing - Springer
2) Filter Based Feature Selection Methods using Hill Climbing Approach - Sadhana Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences - Springer

Infobank Profile: amankedia

Universities considering for application:
Stanford
Caltech
Carnegie Mellon University(CMU)
UIUC
UT, Austin
GaTech
ETH Zurich
University of Toronto
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of California San Diego
New York University
Columbia University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
University of California Los Angeles
University of Michigan Ann Arbor
University of Southern California

Please help me to shortlist

Edulix_Editor
Dragon_Warrior
gurkanwals
The_Observer
Lakshay Kharbanda
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 12:44 AM by amankedia.)
08-07-2017 11:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Active Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 326 (Q-170/V-156) | CGPA 9.22 | TOEFL - NA | WBUT
Woah! Amazing profile.
Since you have done a PG, why apply for MS?
I see every possibility of you getting into a top 10 PhD program. Why not go for it?

Advantages?
- No money issues. You instead get a hefty stipend.
- Some even allow to leave in between with an MS, although there is no reason you should.
- PhD from a top school is highly valued, both in terms of repo and salary.

It will be a real tragedy if this is your profile and you don't apply for a PhD. All your publications are towards the same topic [health informatics], you GPA is groundbreaking and so are your scores.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
08-08-2017 12:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | G.R.E 326 (Q-170/V-156) | CGPA 9.22 | TOEFL - NA | WBUT
(08-08-2017 12:52 AM)gurkanwals Wrote:  Woah! Amazing profile.
Since you have done a PG, why apply for MS?
I see every possibility of you getting into a top 10 PhD program. Why not go for it?

Advantages?
- No money issues. You instead get a hefty stipend.
- Some even allow to leave in between with an MS, although there is no reason you should.
- PhD from a top school is highly valued, both in terms of repo and salary.

It will be a real tragedy if this is your profile and you don't apply for a PhD. All your publications are towards the same topic [health informatics], you GPA is groundbreaking and so are your scores.

Thanks gurkanwals. I am not willing to get into PhD because of the long term commitment it requires. 5 years is a minimum
08-08-2017 01:04 AM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Active Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
(08-08-2017 01:04 AM)amankedia Wrote:  Thanks @[gurkanwals]. I am not willing to get into PhD because of the long term commitment it requires. 5 years is a minimum

True that. Read point 2 in my reply though. It is possible to let go with an MS, although it is not advisable.

Other than that, I'm not really sure Universities allow MS for students already having a PG degree. You have to check, this might vary from uni to uni. If you are allowed however, you can get into almost any of these universities that you have listed.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that even though you apply for an MS, you can expect some, if not all schools to revert back with a PhD offer/interview invite instead. I have a few friends with whom this happened.

I guess one can, quite literally, be overqualified.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
08-08-2017 01:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

(08-08-2017 01:10 AM)gurkanwals Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 01:04 AM)amankedia Wrote:  Thanks gurkanwals. I am not willing to get into PhD because of the long term commitment it requires. 5 years is a minimum

True that. Read point 2 in my reply though. It is possible to let go with an MS, although it is not advisable.

Other than that, I'm not really sure Universities allow MS for students already having a PG degree. You have to check, this might vary from uni to uni. If you are allowed however, you can get into almost any of these universities that you have listed.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that even though you apply for an MS, you can expect some, if not all schools to revert back with a PhD offer/interview invite instead. I have a few friends with whom this happened.

I guess one can, quite literally, be overqualified.

Thanks a lot for your advise and suggestions gurkanwals
08-08-2017 01:12 AM
amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

08-08-2017 01:26 AM
mehta1155 Offline
New Edulixian

mehta1155 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi

Your papers are not at all related to machine learning. They are kind of survey papers/analysis and in general application based.

Schools like UofT, CMU, Stanford, and Umich look at publications at top ML conferences like NIPS, ICML, etc. Papers in such conferences are known for their novelty and mathematical results.

My suggestion is that you apply to only 1-2 such schools--Umich and CMU probably(General CS not ML)--to play your hand. Having said that, you have a very decent chance in schools other than these 4 due to your awesome GPA and GRE score.

Hope this helps!!
08-08-2017 03:19 AM
amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

(08-08-2017 03:19 AM)mehta1155 Wrote:  Hi

Your papers are not at all related to machine learning. They are kind of survey papers/analysis and in general application based.

Schools like UofT, CMU, Stanford, and Umich look at publications at top ML conferences like NIPS, ICML, etc. Papers in such conferences are known for their novelty and mathematical results.

My suggestion is that you apply to only 1-2 such schools--Umich and CMU probably(General CS not ML)--to play your hand. Having said that, you have a very decent chance in schools other than these 4 due to your awesome GPA and GRE score.

Hope this helps!!

mehta1155 Thanks for your reply. Even for MS applications, they have such expectations?
And as per papers are concerned 1 is a survey and 1 is an empirical study. Others are nowhere close to a survey.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 09:58 AM by amankedia.)
08-08-2017 09:57 AM
mehta1155 Offline
New Edulixian

mehta1155 Offline
New Edulixian

(08-08-2017 09:57 AM)amankedia Wrote:  

Hope this helps!!

@[mehta1155] Thanks for your reply. Even for MS applications, they have such expectations?
And as per papers are concerned 1 is a survey and 1 is an empirical study. Others are nowhere close to a survey.

Yes, they do if you are applying to top schools in a specialized field(ML in your case). For instance, check out the machine learning group at UofT. The intake is in itself very competitive (less than 10%) and out of those, they select only 4-5 best M.Sc students for their ML Research Group. Check out the profile of students where you are applying.
Link for reference: http://learning.cs.toronto.edu:40292/people#Students

If you want to apply to such schools, I would suggest going in M.Sc General CS and then making your profile in ML.
08-08-2017 10:45 AM
amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

amankedia Offline
New Edulixian

(08-08-2017 10:45 AM)mehta1155 Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 09:57 AM)amankedia Wrote:  

Hope this helps!!

mehta1155 Thanks for your reply. Even for MS applications, they have such expectations?

Yes, they do if you are applying to top schools in a specialized field(ML in your case). For instance, check out the machine learning group at UofT. The intake is in itself very competitive (less than 10%) and out of those, they select only 4-5 best M.Sc students for their ML Research Group. Check out the profile of students where you are applying.
Link for reference: http://learning.cs.toronto.edu:40292/people#Students

If you want to apply to such schools, I would suggest going in M.Sc General CS and then making your profile in ML.

mehta1155 Than you Smile

Edulix_Editor Could you please evaluate?
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 11:13 AM by amankedia.)
08-11-2017 11:11 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread