How accurate is the UniSuggest tool?
crazykid123 Offline
New Edulixian

crazykid123 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How accurate is the UniSuggest tool?
Hello everyone. So, I was using the UniSuggest tool for Mechanical Engineering, and got a list of a few universities. What struck me was that it said that Stanford University (Yes, Stanford University) was Moderate for me. Now that is next to impossible. Also, Imperial College London is supposed to be Safe for me. Now, my question is, how accurate is the tool? How much should I trust it?
08-16-2017 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 477
RE: How accurate is the UniSuggest tool?
More on this later, but we need to emphasize that it is - in general - a very useful tool that is constantly being tweaked to make it more accurate and consistent. However, it depends on only few parameters such as GRE and GPA and does not capture some nuisances in the data and the process.

Since it is not built on AI or ML (just basic statistics), it will have some shortcomings. Going forward, we will keep on tweaking for even better performance.

More later on some of our plans. But remember that it is based on a huge database and it is highly useful to get you started.

Cheers

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
08-16-2017 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

MSmaverick Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 3
RE: How accurate is the UniSuggest tool?
crazykid123 Unisuggest is a great tool. The errors you may have got could be because they are outliers. (We don't have hundreds or thousands of students admitted to Mech at Stanford Razz , May be that many entries for CS is possible Smile ) You have too few entries to judge on, you are bound to come to wrong conclusions. That said, it works 90% of the time and that to me is more than good enough judgment to go on.

It is just like how search works. Why is Google so dominant at search? It is because more people use it and Google has more data to work with and get things right. I am not a subject expert but I do know something about this stuff(took a course on this) and even the best systems can't get it right all the time. Unisuggest is meant to provide you a point of reference.It does a pretty good job at it most of the time and is well worth the shot in my opinion Very Happy

Short bytes - Important guidelines in one line or less | Unisuggest | Profile evaluators

Reputation If my advice helped you, rep me.

UT Austin | UHMC | UTD | USF | CSU

Everyone has an opinion, but no one has a guarantee.
08-16-2017 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread