Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 334 (Q-170,V-164,5.5) | GPA 9.01 | TOEFL 115| NIT, Trichy
RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 334 (Q-170,V-164,5.5) | GPA 9.01 | TOEFL 115| NIT, Trichy
Please evaluate my profile:

GRE: 334 (170 quant + 164 verbal+ 5.5 AWA)
TOEFL: 115 (R-30;L-30;S-27;W-28)
GPA: 9.01/10.0
College: NIT, Trichy(Currently 4th year undergrad in Computer Science and Engineering)
LORs: McGill prof, IIT Hyderabad prof, NIT Trichy prof/NVIDIA director of architecture

Research internships: McGill university(continuing even now after returning to India) for 4 months(CV/ML) and IIT Hyderabad(2 major projects in deep learning. Worked for almost a year)

Internship - NVIDIA machine learning intern for 1.5 months

Open source contribution - Can be found in my unisearch profile at the bottom

5 projects(3 ML, 1 image encryption, 1 web dev)

Unfortunately no papers. My work at McGill will lead to a very good publication but only after my applications.

Interested in Masters in CS with a specialization in ML/CV.

NOTE: I'm confident I will mostly get an admit from McGill(I'll definitely apply here) because the prof I worked with was very happy with my work and asked me to apply to McGill.
NOTE: Money is not really a factor.

Considering the following unis:
University of Washington
Cornell
Columbia
Georgia Tech
CMU
UCB
USC
UIUC
University of Maryland, College Park
Caltech
University of Wisconsin, Madison
UCLA
UCSD
UMass, Amherst
Univ of Pennsylvania
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
MIT
Stanford
Northeastern university
Duke
UT Austin
Purdue
ETH Zurich
McGill
University of Toronto
UBC
University of Waterloo

It would be great if you could help to narrow down my list. Is it too ambitious? Feel free to suggest any other good choices I should include, even if they are safe.

Also, I have the following question:
Should I get my 3rd reco from NVIDIA(The director of architecture for NVIDIA, India agreed to give me a reco. He'll write anything I want: I'll be completely honest though. However, he has only supervised me very little but he knows what I have contributed) or from a prof at NIT Trichy(who has taught me 2 ML and big data related courses in both of which I got the highest grade. I'll be starting a project with him soon and it will have some shape by the time he submits the reco.) I guess having a reco from atleast 1 prof at your institute is expected but I think the combination of LoRs from professors + industry would be a big plus. I am sure that the McGill and IITH recos will be very strong.

Thanks in advance.

Unisearch profile - http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=338985
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 10:18 PM by RaviTej310.)
09-02-2017 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 334 (Q-170,V-164,5.5) | GPA 9.01 | TOEFL 115| NIT, Trichy
Tagging seniors

bigkeydi
Chirantar
gurkanwals
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 10:09 PM by RaviTej310.)
09-02-2017 09:59 PM
RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RaviTej310 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 334 (Q-170,V-164,5.5) | GPA 9.01 | TOEFL 115| NIT, Trichy
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 12:14 AM by RaviTej310.)
09-03-2017 12:11 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 477
Awesome GRE! One of the highest we have seen this year (so far!). Overall, excellent package. I recommend an aggressive combination of lists, much biased towards ranked programs.

Ranked (6)
Stanford or UCB
University of Washington
Cornell
Columbia or U Toronto
Georgia Tech
CMU

Moderate (3)
UCSD
UM Amherst

Safe (1-2)
USC
NYU or UCI

You have to use this as a guide to narrow down your list. You can pick these as is or replace some with equivalent ones (like Purdue for Cornell, etc)

All the best. Keep us updated as you make progress in the app process....

cheers,

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
09-03-2017 02:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

The_Chharraa Offline
Super Moderator
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Likes Given: 5
Please do not tag more than five users. None gets notification otherwise.

Will not answer any PM, instead tag.
Until you understand this thread, keep reading it. Unless, and until you understand it, please try avoiding to apply to US.
09-03-2017 03:48 AM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
College: NIT, Trichy(Currently 4th year undergrad in Computer Science and Engineering)
LORs: McGill prof, IIT Hyderabad prof, NIT Trichy prof/NVIDIA director of architecture

Research internships: McGill university(continuing even now after returning to India) for 4 months(CV/ML) and IIT Hyderabad(2 major projects in deep learning. Worked for almost a year)

Unfortunately no papers. My work at McGill will lead to a very good publication but only after my applications.

GREAT credentials man. One of the best profiles I've seen this year. I would also suggest you to try for a PhD in some universities. Some univs also offer an MS/PhD degree [UMass is one of them, and should be on your target list]

NOTE: I'm confident I will mostly get an admit from McGill(I'll definitely apply here) because the prof I worked with was very happy with my work and asked me to apply to McGill.

Apply to McGill for sure. Money won't be a factor anyways coz you will most likely land a TA/RA with your admit, just play your cards wisely. I would also recommend you to contact profs in your target unis, the ones that you want to work with, before/after you apply. Let them know about your credentials, and how you can use them to their advantage. Can help you land an RA.

DBA - Don't Bother Applying
AFS - Apply For Sure

University of Washington A
Cornell A (Might DBA, since there are so many of the same/better league in your profile already)
Columbia A, AFS
Georgia Tech A, AFS
CMU A, AFS
UCB A+ [I usually do not recommend people to apply to UCB, but you have the credentials. Know that they consider your application for PhD, even if you've applied for Master's, so keep that in mind. You are better off by just applying to PhD if you want to]
USC M, DBA
UIUC A+
University of Maryland, College Park A+, AFS
Caltech A, might DBA, similar reasons as cornell
University of Wisconsin, Madison A, AFS [they give full scholarship to MS students if they have the credentials. You do.]
UCLA A, DBA
UCSD A, AFS
UMass, Amherst A, AFS [see their MS/PhD program too]
Univ of Pennsylvania M, might DBA
UNC Chapel Hill S+, DBA
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor A
MIT A+
Stanford A+
Northeastern university S+, DBA
Duke No idea
UT Austin A+, AFS [low fee, great faculty, good location]
Purdue A/M+
ETH Zurich A
McGill
University of Toronto A+, AFS
UBC M+, DBA
University of Waterloo A/M+, DBA

It would be great if you could help to narrow down my list. Is it too ambitious? Feel free to suggest any other good choices I should include, even if they are safe.

If you don't go ambi, I'm unsure who should. But yes, do keep 2-3 M+ unis too. 1 safe maybe.

Should I get my 3rd reco from NVIDIA(The director of architecture for NVIDIA, India agreed to give me a reco. He'll write anything I want: I'll be completely honest though. However, he has only supervised me very little but he knows what I have contributed) or from a prof at NIT Trichy(who has taught me 2 ML and big data related courses in both of which I got the highest grade. I'll be starting a project with him soon and it will have some shape by the time he submits the reco.) I guess having a reco from atleast 1 prof at your institute is expected but I think the combination of LoRs from professors + industry would be a big plus. I am sure that the McGill and IITH recos will be very strong.

As I said before, the content of LORs matter more. I would suggest you to request them both. Some unis allow 4 LoRs, so you know what to do then. When going for 3, you can choose according to school/course. For eg, you might want NIT lor when applying for a research oriented course such as UMass MS/PhD, but when applying for say U. Wash, that has a course of a more industrial outlook [i might be wrong], you can go for NVIDIA.

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
09-04-2017 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chirantar Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Chirantar Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 3
(09-02-2017 08:40 PM)RaviTej310 Wrote:  Please evaluate my profile:

University of Washington
Cornell
Columbia
Georgia Tech
CMU
UCB
USC
UIUC
Caltech
University of Wisconsin, Madison
UCLA
UCSD
UMass, Amherst
Univ of Pennsylvania
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
MIT
Stanford
Northeastern university
Duke
UT Austin
Purdue
ETH Zurich
McGill
University of Toronto
UBC
University of Waterloo

Thanks in advance.

Unisearch profile - http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=338985
[b]
University of Washington- Moderately Ambitious
Cornell- Ambitious
Columbia- Ambitious
Georgia Tech- Moderate
CMU- Ambitiously Moderate
UCB- Super Ambitious
USC- Safe( Dont Apply)
UIUC- Safe( Dont Apply)
University of Maryland, College Park- Moderately Ambitious
Caltech- Ambitious
University of Wisconsin, Madison: Ambitiously Moderate( More tough than Moderate one's)
UCLA Ambitious
UCSD Ambitious
UMass, Amherst Moderate
Univ of Pennsylvania Moderate
UNC Chapel Hill Moderate ( Don't Apply)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Moderate
MIT Super Ambitious
Stanford Super Ambitious
Northeastern university Safe (Don't Apply)
Duke Safe
UT Austin Super Ambitious
Purdue Moderate
ETH Zurich Moderate/ Ambitious Depending on your maths grades( Maths grades very high then it becomes safe/ Moderate or its Ambitious)
McGill Moderate ( Don't Apply)
University of Toronto Ambitious
UBC Ambitious
University of Waterloo Ambitious
[/b]
Narrow down the list and make sure you include universities like Brown University, EPFL in addition if required. All the 3 LoRs should be strong. Also read more articles on LoR by seniors which will be helpful to decide. I will mail you my jotted links which will help you to draft LoR if required. Just PM me. All the best. Smile

Infobank
TUM | TUB | Chalmers | KTH | Western Ontario
Destination: TUM
+Reputation
if my post helps
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 01:48 PM by Chirantar.)
09-07-2017 01:46 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread