Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS |CS|GRE 322(Q-164/V-158)|CGPA 8.60|TOEFL 112| MIT Manipal
Hi Everyone,
Here's my profile. Appreciate your time Smile

College - MIT, Manipal
CGPA - 8.60 on a scale of 10.
Equivalent percentage - 86%
Branch - Computer Science and Engineering.
GRE - 322(V 158 Q 164 AWA 4.5)
TOEFL - 112

Education:
Sem wise GPA breakdown.
Sem 1 - 8.08
Sem 2 - 9.36
Sem 3 - 7.61
Sem 4 - 7.31
Sem 5 - 8.82
Sem 6 - 8.58
Sem 7 - 9.15
Sem 8 - 10 (project semester)

I have generally done well on Core CS subjects. (A+, A and B)

Work Experience:

1. Currently Working as a Software Development Engineer at Amazon. Started about 14 months ago.
2. 6 month internship at Amazon as a Software Development Engineer - Intern.
3. 2 month internship at Amazon as a Software Development Engineer - Intern.

Worked on multiple projects that had major impact on amazon. Can't reveal more but i can tell you about the technologies used.
Worked with technologies and languages like:
1. AWS(SQS,SNS,DynamoDB,ElasticSearch,SWF,Lambda etc)
2. Java
3. Javascript - AngularJS
4. Groovy
5. Freemarker
etc.

I am involved in hiring other interns and SDEs at amazon.
I am heading the Operational Excellence initiative in my team which aims at improving developer load by making great engineering decisions.
I have mentored multiple interns and SDEs in my team.

I believe my LORs from my colleagues at Amazon might shed more light on my projects and the impact of those projects.

4. Industrial Training in Android by Hewlett Packard Educational Services. Received award for top performing student in the batch.

Recommendations

1) Senior Software Development Engineer - Amazon. Worked Closely with this person on multiple projects. He's based out of seattle. I'm sure he will write a glowing recommendation.
2) Manager / Sr. Manager - Amazon. Reported directly to my manager for the entirety of 2 years that i have been at amazon. He's managed me in every single project I've done so far. Sure of a great recommendation.
3) Professor who taught me two courses. - MIT Manipal. Taught me 2 courses on Computer graphics and Digital Image Processing.

Projects:
1. Created a music player Android app. Scans the entire phone for music and then displays it on the screen.
2. Created a SUDOKU SOLVER in python.
3. Created a FIBONACCI CLOCK using JS.
4. Created a NUMBER RECOGNITION ML algorithm during the Machine Learning course by Andrew NG on coursera.

MOOCs:
1. ML by Andrew NG - coursera
2. Data Scientists toolbox - Coursera
3. Python Programming - Coursera

Co-Curricular/Extra Curricular

1) Collaboration Platform Lead - IEEE Bangalore Section. First ever Representative of IEEE Manipal in IEEE Bangalore Section. Worked with other representatives to ensure effective collaboration at the regional level.
2) Head of Administration - IEEE Student Branch Manipal. Managed delegation of work to about 90+ students under me.
3) Member of the Computing Technical Resource Team - IEEE Student Branch Manipal. Managed 20+ people under me in organizing workshops and events to promote computer science in our college.
4) Took a Workshop on Android App Development for IEEE Manipal. Taught basic android app development. Attended by over 150 students.
5) Community Service through Rotaract Club of Manipal. Helped volunteering in Community Contact Programs where we would visit an orphanage or an old age home and spend time with the less fortunate.
6) Junior Cadet, National Cadet Corps, India.

Other achievements

1) Recipient of the Merit-cum-means Scholarship in College. This was due to a great rank in the Manipal Entrance test. Required me to maintain a CGPA of 8+ throughout college to hold the scholarship.

Budget: No budgetary concerns. Have saved up some money due to my job and scholarship. Parents will help me with the rest.

Some Universities I have shortlisted:

Carnegie Mellon University MSCS
Cornell University MEngg CS
Stanford University MSCS
UCLA MSCS
Princeton University MSCS
UC Berkeley MSCS
University of Washington MSCS
GaTech MSCS
UC Irvine MSCS
UC San Diego MSCS

Please feel free to suggest any more universities and evaluate my list.

Thank you so much!
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 07:15 PM by rmanjani.)
09-05-2017 03:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

RE: Fall 2018 | MS |CS|GRE 322(Q-164/V-158)|CGPA 8.60|TOEFL 112| MIT Manipal
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 07:45 PM by rmanjani.)
09-05-2017 10:42 AM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Most of these schools are pretty expensive. Do you have any budget constraints?

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-05-2017 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

Thank you so much for your reply, The_Observer, I have added much more detail to the original post now. Please let me know if its enough. No budgetary concerns. Have saved up some money due to my job and scholarship. Parents will help me with the rest.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2017 08:35 PM by rmanjani.)
09-05-2017 07:16 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Retake the GRE if possible. Your score is good, but unfortunately the top schools like Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton, etc are looking for more. Without any good research involvement and publications, I'd say don't bother applying to those. Look around Edulix, read through previous threads, use the UniSearch database to redo your list, and don't fill it up with ambitious schools only like your current list.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-05-2017 09:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

rmanjani Offline
New Edulixian

I understand The_Observer. What about CMU and Cornell?
What colleges would you suggest i look into?
09-05-2017 11:11 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Cornell MEngg would be mod-ambi and CMU would be ambi.

09-06-2017 08:36 AM
gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

gurkanwals Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
College - MIT, Manipal
CGPA - 8.60 on a scale of 10.
Equivalent percentage - 86%
Branch - Computer Science and Engineering.
GRE - 322(V 158 Q 164 AWA 4.5) I see improvement chance here. Try and get >= 169 in quant
TOEFL - 112

Education:
Sem wise GPA breakdown.
Sem 1 - 8.08
Sem 2 - 9.36
Sem 3 - 7.61
Sem 4 - 7.31
Sem 5 - 8.82
Sem 6 - 8.58
Sem 7 - 9.15
Sem 8 - 10 (project semester)

I have generally done well on Core CS subjects. (A+, A and B)

Work Experience:

1. Currently Working as a Software Development Engineer at Amazon. Started about 14 months ago.
2. 6 month internship at Amazon as a Software Development Engineer - Intern.
3. 2 month internship at Amazon as a Software Development Engineer - Intern.

Worked on multiple projects that had major impact on amazon. Can't reveal more but i can tell you about the technologies used.
Worked with technologies and languages like:
1. AWS(SQS,SNS,DynamoDB,ElasticSearch,SWF,Lambda etc)
2. Java
3. Javascript - AngularJS
4. Groovy
5. Freemarker
etc.

I am involved in hiring other interns and SDEs at amazon.
I am heading the Operational Excellence initiative in my team which aims at improving developer load by making great engineering decisions.
I have mentored multiple interns and SDEs in my team.

Great that you have accomplished the above. Very subtly state and explain these in your SoP, with humility. It's great if the mentoring and hiring part comes from your manager's LOR.

I believe my LORs from my colleagues at Amazon might shed more light on my projects and the impact of those projects.

4. Industrial Training in Android by Hewlett Packard Educational Services. Received award for top performing student in the batch.

Recommendations

1) Senior Software Development Engineer - Amazon. Worked Closely with this person on multiple projects. He's based out of seattle. I'm sure he will write a glowing recommendation.
GET THIS DONE RIGHT. Will be of great help.
2) Manager / Sr. Manager - Amazon. Reported directly to my manager for the entirety of 2 years that i have been at amazon. He's managed me in every single project I've done so far. Sure of a great recommendation.
Offer to write a draft, or just email him the list of details you want him to include.
3) Professor who taught me two courses. - MIT Manipal. Taught me 2 courses on Computer graphics and Digital Image Processing.

I'd suggest you to also see if there is a chance of getting 2 acad LORs. Generally universities value acad recommendations more than an industry one.

Projects:
1. Created a music player Android app. Scans the entire phone for music and then displays it on the screen.
2. Created a SUDOKU SOLVER in python.
3. Created a FIBONACCI CLOCK using JS.
4. Created a NUMBER RECOGNITION ML algorithm during the Machine Learning course by Andrew NG on coursera.

MOOCs:
1. ML by Andrew NG - coursera
2. Data Scientists toolbox - Coursera
3. Python Programming - Coursera

Good work with MOOCs too.

Co-Curricular/Extra Curricular

1) Collaboration Platform Lead - IEEE Bangalore Section. First ever Representative of IEEE Manipal in IEEE Bangalore Section. Worked with other representatives to ensure effective collaboration at the regional level.
2) Head of Administration - IEEE Student Branch Manipal. Managed delegation of work to about 90+ students under me.
3) Member of the Computing Technical Resource Team - IEEE Student Branch Manipal. Managed 20+ people under me in organizing workshops and events to promote computer science in our college.
4) Took a Workshop on Android App Development for IEEE Manipal. Taught basic android app development. Attended by over 150 students.
5) Community Service through Rotaract Club of Manipal. Helped volunteering in Community Contact Programs where we would visit an orphanage or an old age home and spend time with the less fortunate.
6) Junior Cadet, National Cadet Corps, India.

Other achievements

1) Recipient of the Merit-cum-means Scholarship in College. This was due to a great rank in the Manipal Entrance test. Required me to maintain a CGPA of 8+ throughout college to hold the scholarship.

Again, state this in SoP subtly. If your prof can back this claim up in LOR, it would be great.

Budget: No budgetary concerns. Have saved up some money due to my job and scholarship. Parents will help me with the rest.

Some Universities I have shortlisted:

DBA - Don't Bother Applying

Carnegie Mellon University MSCS A++
Cornell University MEngg CS A+
Stanford University MSCS A++
UCLA MSCS A+
Princeton University MSCS A+
UC Berkeley MSCS A+++ [same criteria for MS and PhD]
University of Washington MSCS A+
GaTech MSCS A++
UC Irvine MSCS M+
UC San Diego MSCS A+

Suggestions:

NCSU M (S+ if quant >=168)
UPenn M+/A
UMN M+

Gurkanwal's Infobank
MS in CS [ML/DS] Fall 2017!
UCSD| UMass | UPenn | UMN | NCSU | CU-Boulder | UTA | CMU | UCLA | Gatech | U. Waterloo

My own profile evaluation
General Suggestions
+Rep if the post helped!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
09-08-2017 12:24 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread