Internships--
1. Summer Intern at Hewlett Packard Enterprise R&D Labs
2. Data Science Intern at Abzooba Infotech, Kolkata

Projects--
1.Load Forecasting and Price Forecasting-- My UG Project
2.Image Processing Robot -- Autonomous line following bot
3.Android App to predict diseases using symptoms
4.NLP Application to Healthcare-- Still under process
5.Misc. projects on neural network modelling(but not significant)

Extra-Curricular/Achievements--
1.Part of the college quizzing team and represented the college in Inter IIT-IIM Quizzes
2.NTSE Scholar
3.Misc. Good Olympiad Ranks from school

No Papers/Publications

Please evaluate my profile and my shortlisted univs-
MSCS Programmes in the following univs
UCD
Dartmouth
Duke
UCI
UCSB
Brown
Rice
Penn State
University of Maryland
Johns Hopkins

Thanks in advance
09-06-2017 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Unisearch: Link
RE: Fall 2018|MS|CS|GRE(Q-170/V-155)|CGPA 8.22|TOEFL 108|IIT BHU
Awesome profile and great GRE score (especially in the quant part). The only thing is that your projects all seem to be all across the board, so you'll have to do some convincing in your SOP as to why you want to specialize in whatever you want to do in your MS.

UCD - drop
Dartmouth - ambi
Duke - mod-ambi
UCI - safe
UCSB - mod
Brown - ambi
Rice - ambi
Penn State - mod-ambi
University of Maryland - mod-ambi
Johns Hopkins - mod

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-06-2017 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Thanks a lot @The_Observer for the reply. I will take the suggestions you gave me.Can you please suggest some safe universities as well.
Also can you please tell me why you asked me to drop UCD?

Thanks in Advance.
09-06-2017 12:31 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Because there are way better UC system schools you can apply to. With your profile, you should give UCLA/UCSD a shot if you want to apply to a UC school, rather than Davis.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-06-2017 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Oh Ok, will take note of that. I will think of a better list of universities then.
Meanwhile can you suggest a few safe univs for my profile.

Thanks in Advance.
09-06-2017 04:15 PM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Tagging other seniors as well
gurkanwals
Edulix_Editor
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 11:05 PM by sujith96.)
09-06-2017 04:21 PM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi The_Observer,
I have tweaked the list a little...
Please tell me if this list is fine...

Ambitious
CMU(MS IN)
UCLA
Dartmouth
UPenn
GaTech
Columbia
UCSD
Rice

Mod—
UCSB
Duke
Rutgers
TAMU
UCI
UMCP
Johns Hopkins

Safe-
UCD
UCSC
SUNY Stony Brook

Thanks in Advance
09-08-2017 10:47 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Ambitious
CMU(MS IN)
UCLA
Dartmouth
UPenn - mod
GaTech - mod to mod-ambi
Columbia
UCSD - mod to mod-ambi
Rice

Mod—
UCSB
Duke
Rutgers
TAMU - ambi
UCI
UMCP - ambi
Johns Hopkins

Safe-
UCD
UCSC
SUNY Stony Brook - more like a mod

Also, read through this thread completely. A lot of stuff has been discussed over there which would help you to write and/or critique your SOP. A good SOP is very critical and its importance is often underestimated by many applicants. Don't be one of those people, especially because in your case, you need to convince the AdCom harder of your suitability because you have been involved in a lot of things, not all of which relate to your intended specialization. It's not about other people applying to a given program having a similar profile to yours, but about convincing the AdCom why you should be admitted, and that's only possible with a good SOP.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 10:20 PM by The_Observer.)
09-08-2017 10:17 PM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks a lot for the changes The_Observer. I completely understand the importance of a good SOP.

I had the following questions--
1.From what I have explored on this site, I found very few applicants to universities like Brown,Rice,Duke,Dartmouth in particular. What might possibly be the reason? Are their Engineering programs not that popular or is it just that applicants to those colleges don't use this site extensively?

2.Is the list fine overall, as in should I drop/add any univs to the list?

3.If I may ask, how literal are "moderate","safe" chances at a university, as I just followed the format everyone used and didn't exactly find anywhere how the univs are classified the way they are. (Please ignore if the question just reflects that I haven't done enough research on the site yet)

This is the most help I have received on any site I asked for suggestions. Would be great if other seniors also gave in their bit of advice.

Thanks in advance.
09-08-2017 11:35 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Quote:1.From what I have explored on this site, I found very few applicants to universities like Brown,Rice,Duke,Dartmouth in particular. What might possibly be the reason? Are their Engineering programs not that popular or is it just that applicants to those colleges don't use this site extensively?

Of course, nobody can tell for sure, but I can think of 3 reasons, off the top of my head:

a) These schools are actually pretty competitive, and as such, most people don't bother applying to them. Maybe people get scared seeing the rankings, and rightly or wrongly assume they wouldn't get into them (and I completely understand that, having been guilty of that myself when I was applying for my MS). Or, perhaps, it's the unfortunately all-pervasive "go to counselors" culture in India, and counselors either don't bother telling their clients to apply to these schools, because they themselves don't know about them or they don't want to stake their reputations when they know only a tiny %age of their clients might get into those schools.

b) These schools are all very expensive, so, again, most people don't bother applying to them.

c) International students, especially us Indians, tend to have a herd mentality. A lot of us hear stuff from friends, relatives, seniors, friends-of-friends, etc., and a lot of folks tend to just go with the flow there and not bother researching things on their own. Now, because of points (a) and (b) above, since not a ton of people might apply to schools like these, not a lot of people talk about them, or even know about them (yes, no kidding, I've run across instances where people actually called Duke/Brown/Rice as safes and schools like ASU as ambitious, only because they hadn't heard about the former ones). And there's the counselor thing again as well - many folks go to admissions consultancies, who might not advertise these schools for the fear that their clients wouldn't bag as many admits if they get folks to apply to these top schools.

In any case, whatever the reasons might be, that's no sort of an indication that the schools like Duke/Brown/Rice/Dartmouth have anything less than excellent programs, be they in engineering or otherwise. Also, don't forget that Dartmouth and Brown are Ivy League schools, and while schools like Stanford/Duke/Rice are not Ivies, the latter are in no way less than an Ivy. Education obtained at any of these schools is top-notch, and the brand name of each of those schools is worth tons (if you've got the money to spend, that is).

Quote:2.Is the list fine overall, as in should I drop/add any univs to the list?

The way I see it, your list is fine, but instead of adding universities, consider dropping a few. Now, I won't tell you which ones to drop - you have to do your own due dilligence at this point, and go through each univ's program offerings, courses available, research projects being conducted in your chosen department(s), and then make a call as to whether each school and program belongs on your list, given your short-term and long-term career goals and research objectives during and after your MS. Also, look at the costs, obviously - by which I mean not just the tuition costs, but any and all associated fees and expenses, including living expenses and expenses for food, travel, etc. Don't consider weather as a very important factor, but think about the location overall as a decently important one. Unless you're looking at the top 30-odd schools (which you are, in your case, so you don't need to worry about this as much), look at the locations because being in a big city >>> being in a smaller town*.

* The caveat to this is if you're attending a very well-known school in a small town, such as Dartmouth, in which case, the name/brand of the school is such that the small town location wouldn't matter as much and it'd be compensated for by the status associated with the school. More on this in the 2nd thread in my signature, in point #2, which can be accessed by clicking on the words "this" in red.

Quote:3.If I may ask, how literal are "moderate","safe" chances at a university, as I just followed the format everyone used and didn't exactly find anywhere how the univs are classified the way they are. (Please ignore if the question just reflects that I haven't done enough research on the site yet)

Literal? Well, kinda... in the sense, that they are only supposed to be taken as a guideline, but not something set in stone, or to be taken as an indication that one cannot/should not apply to ambitious schools. Actually, these categorizations are based on our "best-guess estimates", and as such are very subjective, which is why you'll also see different evaluators categorize the same program differently in some cases. Because we seniors have been observing trends for a while for different schools, both on Edulix and elsewhere, most of the evaluators here on Edulix generally have a good idea of admissions trends and chances at different schools. That being said, nobody, any of us included, can or should give any kind of guarantees or certainty when it comes to admissions. Admission trends change every semester, and fluctuate as per the competitiveness of the applicant pool for a given intake. So anyone who tells you anything in terms of admissions with any certainty, is either lying or doesn't know what he/she is talking about. That said, taking second opinions on advice you get, here and elsewhere, is a good thing, and the way to do that is refer back to the universities' own websites (most, if not all, programs give snapshots of their admitted applicants' profiles with stats on the admits' median GPA, test score ranges, work-ex, etc.), and also look at other online forums such as TheGradCafe which have posts from a lot of American and other international applicants, most of whom either don't know about or don't post on/use Edulix.

If you're wondering about percentage values that you can assign to each of these categorizations, then honestly, doing so is futile and actually kinda stupid, because like I said earlier, admission trends vary widely and at the drop of a hat, from intake to intake and even within the same intake. But, if you had to ask me, personally, just to have a very rudimentary scale for the evals/categorization I do, I'd say safe is between 0.5 and 1.0 probability that you'd get an admit, mod is between 0.3 and 0.5 probability of getting admitted, and ambitious schools are ones where I'd estimate your probability of getting in as between 0.0 and 0.3. Of course, since admission trends change, there's always a chance that you might get into a very ambi school (which I'd personally term as a program where your probability of getting in - as per my guesstimate alone - is less than 0.1), or that you might get rejected from an extremely safe school. And these things have happened, and will happen to different people in every intake - which is why no concrete guarantees can and should be given when it comes to admissions chances. I think that's also how most other online forums categorize their evals, albeit with a little different probability values, varying from site to site, and evaluator to evaluator (since there is and can be no standard scale for this sort of thing). One thing though, and this isn't to blow our own horn, but just to state a very simple fact: Edulix has been around and evaluators here have been doing evals for profile at least since 2003 (and that's only what I'm aware of; individuals here such as Edulix_Editor have been doing evals and helping folks out on an individual basis long before that). Having such a wealth of experience with guiding students over the course of more than a decade means most of us do know what we're talking about Smile Also, there's the fact that every single one of us who evaluates profiles here on Edulix has either applied to grad schools in the US/Canada/Europe/elsewhere, and in most cases, has studied in a university in the US/Canada/Europe. That means, we don't just pull numbers out of a hat like most "counselors" in India do, most of whom haven't themselves studied outside India, and only depend on hearsay (and sites like Edulix) to base their decisions on. In fact, one of the primary reasons Edulix continues to grow is because we believe in telling things as they are here, because we don't charge anyone for what we do, and we therefore aren't concerned with hiding things. Plus since all of us seniors here have actually applied to different schools, held on-campus jobs, and many of us have then proceeded to apply for internships and full-time jobs, we do know the ground realities of different schools and fields from the perspective as only someone who has gone through the grind can offer. In addition, most of the other sites/facebook/whatsapp groups that claim to give out advice aren't being run/managed/administered by folks who either (a) have as much experience in these things as we do, or (b) aren't as altruistic as we do - we don't get kickbacks either from students/applicants, or universities, like many such sites or "counselors" do. All we ask in return is for applicants to fill out their UniSearch profiles, so that the applicant data is fed back into our UniSearch system, which helps not just us seniors to tweak our evals better, but also future applicants themselves to fine-tune their shortlists better. Anyway, I digress, and apologies for the rant/rave/whatever you might choose to call this. Let me know if I can help you with anything else here.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 03:07 AM by The_Observer.)
09-09-2017 02:44 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 472
Wow, The_Observer has explained it in as much detail as possible! Respect....... I literally have nothing to add except to say that the answer itself is a perfect example of the massive collective knowledge-base we have here at Edulix. It is in-exact science, because the process itself is inexact (bit stochastic in some cases); but follows a well-known trend in most aspects. Hence, the experience of our evaluators and the data-driven classification we use have consistently given a highly rational and successful guideline that have allowed most of our members to go for the best admission they could get.

Again, my profound thanks and admiration for our seniors and influencers like TO.

cheers,

EE

[Evaluating Only PhD Profiles] || [Evaluation Guidelines] || [UniSuggest for initial list]
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 06:36 AM by Edulix_Editor.)
09-09-2017 06:36 AM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi The_Observer, I am extremely sorry the question took off on a wrong note. I never and never in future would have doubted any of the seniors' judgments but just was not very clear with what the classification meant. I was being naive asking this question.

Like I said, this is the most help I have got from a site since I started my application prep and will always be grateful to the seniors for this help.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the detailed answers and I apologize for asking such a stupid question.

One question though,
Are top universities usually against taking students from other branches to their MSCS programs, or does it boil down to how convincing the SOP is?

Thanks in advance.
09-09-2017 12:49 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

No need to apologize at all! Smile I didn't take it in an offensive way, and in fact I'm happy you asked that question. My idea is this: if I'm confident of the product I'm selling, if I know it's good, then I should be willing to defend its merits and answer why it should be bought. Although the advice we give here is free, it is no less than a product from that perspective, and I'm happy to explain the logic behind my thinking because I can be wrong too, and I would rather be corrected than not. So, no harm done at all, and no need for any apologies! Smile my rant back there was just a result of the fact that I have a propensity to write in a rambling manner, and was directed to people who might read it in general, and not to you, specifically. Sorry for not making that clearer.

Secondly, it's completely okay to ask questions that you might think are stupid - they might or might not be stupid in reality. Even if they are, what's the worst, you'll be told so, but the alternatives here far outweigh not asking a question you might have. Another philosophy of mine here on Edulix is that since this is an open forum, I generally answer in such a way that the advice is applicable to a lot of people apart from just the one person who asked the question. If I have something specific to mention to that person, I'll say so clearly addressing that person, but everything else would be generic. That way, many people who might be lurkers on Edulix and hesitant or unwilling to post questions of their own might still get the answers they want or need. I was a lurker here myself when I was applying, so I know how daunting this place can seem (more so with someone like me who seems to have an intimidating/aggressive online personality - I know this very well actually) so I try to help those people out as well, by telling things the way I see them if I think people need to hear them. Like I said earlier, I'm happy to explain my thought process of coming to a decision or explaining a comment, as long as people fill out the only thing we require here on Edulix - a UniSearch profile, and that they're willing to take some initiative on their own and not completely depend on us seniors here.

Now, to answer your question:

Quote:Are top universities usually against taking students from other branches to their MSCS programs, or does it boil down to how convincing the SOP is?

They are not averse to that... Given that there is ample reason to take such a branch-changer. Meaning, competition at the top universities is even more fierce than the others, and they generally receive applications from excellent candidates from all over the world across the board in terms of background and experience. Evaluations at the graduate level are holistic, yes, but the first culling an applicant generally goes through at many schools is on the basis of the GRE score (simply because unless this filter is applied at the very outset, the # of applications the AdCom would have to review in their entirety would be insanely impractical). The GRE score generally serves as a good baseline because it's a factor where all applicants can directly be compared against one another, and the entire applicant pool can be sorted and ranked as per their scores, and then depending on where a person stands with respect to the average scores of the applicant pool, they might be considered for the next round of evaluations or not. After that comes a more detailed review. Here is where your GPA is looked at, not just the number or percentage, but the courses you took, their toughness, your grades in the individual "core" courses of the domain you're applying for (e.g. for CS, the core courses are generally considered to be data structures, algorithms, databases, networking, operating systems, discrete mathematics, and in some cases, a course on security and/or automata theory/theoretical computer sciences/compilers), and they also look at the institution you took those courses at.

To give you an example, if persons A and B are both applying, they have very similar profiles with no work-ex, no research experience, both have a bachelor's from relatively unknown schools (e.g. talking in an Indian context, let's take a random non-IIT/non-NIT/non-BITS school such as Mumbai university and Pune university), but one has a master's from say IIT-B whereas the other has a master's from MU/PU, then even if the IIT MTech person has lower academic GPA/%age than the other, the IIT-B tag helps that person because it's more well known a brand.

Now, does this always hold true? No, and definitely not in cases where the other person has so much of a good profile in other respects (e.g. work-ex, research, etc) that it more than compensates for the non-renowned school name. In both the above cases, universities have been known to generally lean towards people with very good research work/work-ex, or those from very renowned institutions, even if they're branch changers. If the comparison is between someone from an IIT with a branch change versus someone from MU/PU/JNTU/etc with no branch change, then unless the former has very bad academics, it's likely that the former might be placed ahead of the latter just because of the university name (IIT)*.

* the condition that applies here is that for this to happen, the branch-changer must have similar skills as that of the non-branch-changer, because if the former doesn't have enough academic preparation to survive in a top graduate program, regardless of the name of the UG institution, that person might not be admitted. Meaning, in your specific case, as long as you (a) have the basic skillset which a CS UG has (the knowledge of the core areas I mentioned above), and (b) are able to convince the AdCom in your SOP why despite being a branch-changer, you're a good fit for the program you're applying to (meaning, you have skills mentioned in point (a) above and your SOP talks about how you can/will/plan to leverage them in your MS), you'll be considered for admission.

So, to answer your second question, yes, a good SOP is critical, and it can even turn your fortunes around in some cases, but only if the rest of the profile is good enough to get you to that stage in the first place. For most of the top programs, that means having good research exposure and/or publications, especially in your desired field of study/branch that you want to change to. That will put you on par with someone with no branch-change with some research exposure or someone with research exposure who isn't from the sort of very well-known school you came from. If you don't have enough good research exposure, then it mainly comes down to the academic performance, the recommendations (especially if and how they explain the potential for your performance in unfamiliar territory, because that's what a branch-change is), and most importantly, a good SOP that outlines your own justifications for not just wanting to change your branch, but also explaining why you think you'll be successful in such a change, as opposed to someone who isn't changing their branch and hence doesn't need to convince the AdCom as much in that sense.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 02:54 AM by The_Observer.)
09-09-2017 06:56 PM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks a lot The_Observer. I am glad you didn't take that question in an offensive way.
It's just awesome how you come up with such detailed answers to the questions exploring each and every aspect.

Thanks a lot.
09-10-2017 01:56 AM
sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sujith96 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi The_Observer,
How good are the Master of Computer Science(MCS) Programmes and is it true that they are less competitive than MSCS Programmes at various Universities?

If they are less competitive, why?

Thanks in advance.
09-22-2017 02:36 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread