codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 321 (Q-169/V-152)|CGPA 7.4/10 | KIIT University
Dear Evaluators,

I would like to highlight that I have gathered work experience of around 6 years with prime focus on Business Intelligence and Project Planning with TCS. I have been on several on-site locations. Additionally, since my bachelors was in Mechnical Engineering, how much would this affect my prospects given my work experience.

I am aiming to target a university (MS/CS with majors in Business Intelligence or Data Science) preferably in the California region. Cost is a huge factor for me as I am funding everything on my own.

Please suggest what could be a good college match. Also, I will be giving GRE in this month. The scores mentioned are based on practice tests.

Regards,
Vivek Chacko
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 05:45 PM by codematrix.)
09-07-2017 05:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: Fall 2018 | MS | CS | GRE 321 (Q-169/V-152)|CGPA 7.4/10 | KIIT University
Before anything else, please read points 1 and 2 below this post, in my signature. Once you're done with doing what's mentioned in #1 (meaning, specifically, elucidate on your work-ex in your UniSearch profile), please do read through the 2 threads I've linked to in point #2 (click the words "this" that are in red).

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-07-2017 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

(09-07-2017 09:51 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  Before anything else, please read points 1 and 2 below this post, in my signature. Once you're done with doing what's mentioned in #1 (meaning, specifically, elucidate on your work-ex in your UniSearch profile), please do read through the 2 threads I've linked to in point #2 (click the words "this" that are in red).

Sorry about that kinda new here.

I have added a summary of my job experience.

I am not sure if it would help to add some achievements from college and school in the profile. Do colleges consider it? or is it way back in the past?

Please suggest. Thanks.
09-09-2017 03:29 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Thanks for adding the details, that helps us and future applicants.

Quote:I am not sure if it would help to add some achievements from college and school in the profile. Do colleges consider it? or is it way back in the past?

For grad school admissions apart from MBA admissions, not needed. Even for MBA admissions, what B-schools care the most in terms of extra-currics, is what you did which can relate to the program, such as activities where you participated in non-profit or volunteering activities, rather than just painting in your free time, for example. For grad school in the sciences/engineering, even that is rather unnecessary. For MS admissions, the only extra-currics the AdComs care about are any research activities you were involved in.

Also, I'd recommend going through other threads here on Edulix, and on other sites, as well as university/program websites, to come up with an initial list on your own. We are more than happy to help you shortlist or tweak it, but you have to do the initial legwork on your own here. You're an applicant for grad school, we're not counselors you paid to do your legwork for you, and we expect you to do at least the basic things on your own. Ask for help if you need it, but show us that you're first willing to help yourselves. When we see initiative on your part, we'll be more than willing to help you out, and trust me, it'll help you too. Researching on one's options will often force one to introspect and really think hard about what's important to one and why.

Also, while you're at it, consider broadening your univ list to beyond California. I might guess why you're focusing on that region alone, but I'd recommend you don't do that because of what you might've seen/heard/thought about in terms of jobs. That's in general a bad idea when it comes to grad school admissions, and only applying to schools in one or a couple of regions in the US will possibly get your visa rejected later on. So, just don't.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-09-2017 04:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

(09-09-2017 04:04 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  Thanks for adding the details, that helps us and future applicants.

Quote:I am not sure if it would help to add some achievements from college and school in the profile. Do colleges consider it? or is it way back in the past?

For grad school admissions apart from MBA admissions, not needed. Even for MBA admissions, what B-schools care the most in terms of extra-currics, is what you did which can relate to the program, such as activities where you participated in non-profit or volunteering activities, rather than just painting in your free time, for example. For grad school in the sciences/engineering, even that is rather unnecessary. For MS admissions, the only extra-currics the AdComs care about are any research activities you were involved in.

Also, I'd recommend going through other threads here on Edulix, and on other sites, as well as university/program websites, to come up with an initial list on your own. We are more than happy to help you shortlist or tweak it, but you have to do the initial legwork on your own here. You're an applicant for grad school, we're not counselors you paid to do your legwork for you, and we expect you to do at least the basic things on your own. Ask for help if you need it, but show us that you're first willing to help yourselves. When we see initiative on your part, we'll be more than willing to help you out, and trust me, it'll help you too. Researching on one's options will often force one to introspect and really think hard about what's important to one and why.

Also, while you're at it, consider broadening your univ list to beyond California. I might guess why you're focusing on that region alone, but I'd recommend you don't do that because of what you might've seen/heard/thought about in terms of jobs. That's in general a bad idea when it comes to grad school admissions, and only applying to schools in one or a couple of regions in the US will possibly get your visa rejected later on. So, just don't.

Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate your support.

Just to give you background of my search for colleges, I was rather skeptical about the US at first and have spent most time searching for options in Canada. I stumbled upon the Masters in Big Data at Simon Fraser which seemed like a really good option. Other colleges that seem like a good option are McMaster, UBC, Univ of Ottawa, Univ of Carleton and Queen's University.

My skepticism stems from the fact that obtaining a work permit is becoming increasingly difficult in the US. This I further cross-checked with some of my friends who already have completed their masters in the US. They readily rejected this skepticism claiming that in fact it is easier now, more than ever to get a work permit post grad in the US as the outsourcing companies are the main target of the recent changes in rules.

I was also advised to put up my profile here to get an evaluation. Hence, the profile update.

To be honest, California was the first state that came to my mind (yes for the obvious reasons). Also, I have many friends and relatives living there and it would be really cool to stay close.

Florida, Arizona are some other states that come to mind when I think about options.

My initial scouting work on the internet presented with my so many options that it seems imposible to avoid guessing (as going through every college page for every university in every state is practically impossible.)

To clarify, my most important priorities are as follows:
1. Little impact of me having done bachelors in mechanical engineering.
2. Cost of Tuition should not be extremely high, since I am planning to self finance most of it. (Scholarships would be a good option, but I wouldn't count on it to begin with). I have around 7k USD right now as saving, and I need to be able to use that for everything from Applications, VISA, air tickets, etc.
3. Job Prospects

I understand most of these might sound like something everyone writes about.

Could you please suggest, how I could accelarate my college search process, and few states that could be a good choice?

Really appreciate your help. Thanks!
09-09-2017 04:33 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Thanks for providing us your justifications - that helps quite a bit in understanding where you're coming from.

Quote:My skepticism stems from the fact that obtaining a work permit is becoming increasingly difficult in the US. This I further cross-checked with some of my friends who already have completed their masters in the US. They readily rejected this skepticism claiming that in fact it is easier now, more than ever to get a work permit post grad in the US as the outsourcing companies are the main target of the recent changes in rules.

That's kinda true... but, don't forget or underestimate the fact that immigration rules can - and often, do - change quite frequently. So, what's the law today, what's easy to do today, need not necessarily be the case a year or two years from now. So, point being, don't plan stuff on that basis alone. Try to get into the best programs you can, work your ass off, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. One thing to keep in mind here is to not try to bite off more than you can chew, either in terms of research work undertaken, finances expended/loans borrowed, etc. Whatever you do, plan with an eye out on the future, in case things go south, and consider possible bad to worst-case scenarios such as not getting a job, not getting OPT extension, not getting an H-1B sponsorship, etc.

All this is being told not to scare or dissuade you or anyone else in any way, but just to make sure you all aren't being overly optimistic - just very realistic. For more of the same practical advice from me and other seniors, all of whom have done their MS degrees and worked in the US, read through the 2 threads in my signature in point #2 below the post (click on the words "this" that are in red, and go through both threads completely even if you might think in the beginning that they have nothing to do with your field or what you want to do).

Quote:Also, I have many friends and relatives living there and it would be really cool to stay close.

Having friends and family around is good, and undoubtedly helpful... and I don't know about you, but I came to this country to experience life and this rollercoaster for myself, and learn to face *word censored by forum* on my own. And by heavens, how I have! Now, what I did is nothing unique, and in a sense I was very fortunate, more fortunate than most, to have relatives and friends here I could count on and call on anytime I needed them. But, if someone thinks on those terms too much, I think it takes a lot away from the grander experience of it all. Maybe you won't understand this now, or the advantages of staying away from a place where you know a lot of folks, but that sort of experience will teach you a lot about yourself, your risk-taking capabilities and how to deal with immense challenges without a whole lot of people to depend on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trade that learning, and those experiences which led to that learning, for anything, even though they seemed like the worst thing ever at that point of time. Don't decide where to go for an MS/PhD on the basis of where your friends/relatives are located, if that's going to be the primary factor in your decision. Your primary objective to come to a foreign country is to learn more about that place, learn from people from varying backgrounds, and most importantly, learn to make a career and grow not just as a professional but as a person as well. The place where you do all these things, as far as I'm concerned, is immaterial, and strictly secondary to what I learn and how.

Quote:Florida, Arizona are some other states that come to mind when I think about options.

Why just those two? Any specific reason(s)?

Quote:My initial scouting work on the internet presented with my so many options that it seems imposible to avoid guessing (as going through every college page for every university in every state is practically impossible.)

Nobody is telling you to go through literally every university website there is. But, trust me on this, the most successful people who go through applications smartly are those who go through at least 50-60 univ websites, if not more. And that skill will come in very handy when you start applying for internships/full-time jobs. If you or anyone else thinks university shortlisting is tough, that's a cakewalk compared to what's going to hit you next, when you start looking for jobs. Get used to it! For now, though, how to go about it is to target schools in a given range of locations, costs, specializations, and go from there. Go through rankings at the very outset, and other sources such as Edulix threads and the UniSearch/UniSuggest systems we have here. Use them to come up with a very basic list to start off from. Then post that here and ask for our opinions/tweaks. But you'll have to start somewhere. We don't - and won't - do all your initial legwork for you.

Quote:1. Little impact of me having done bachelors in mechanical engineering.

Cross that bridge when you get to it, not now. For now, start off with a basic university shortlist of say about 10-20 schools. We can help you narrow that down from there. To get there though, look at different rankings, and pick a combination of schools from different rankings, say 2 from the 20s, 2 from the 30s, and so on. Use rankings in conjunction with the Edulix UniSuggest feature, which will tell you your probable chances of getting into different schools, based on past admission trends/outcomes of profiles similar to yours.

Quote:2. Cost of Tuition should not be extremely high, since I am planning to self finance most of it. (Scholarships would be a good option, but I wouldn't count on it to begin with). I have around 7k USD right now as saving, and I need to be able to use that for everything from Applications, VISA, air tickets, etc.

Great job saving up that much money! It's great that you're able to do this. But, if I were you, I'd expect a huge out-of-pocket hit, because (a) scholarships are a rarity these days at most schools for most MS programs, and (b) because of the rising tuition, your $7k would barely cover a semester's worth of tuition at most schools. That said, understand the costs involved, but don't restrict your options right now at this stage itself just because they cost too much. Use that to shortlist schools, but that comes later. Right now, focus on the programs, specializations offered and research being conducted at different schools you can apply to. From there we can use costs as a yardstick once we have a list comprised of ambitious, moderate and safe bets. Don't forget that while costs are undoubtedly very important, your primary objective of coming here should be (and I hope is) to study and improve your career. For that, the first and foremost thing is to get into the best program you possibly can, with the courses and research you are genuinely interested in. Any school/program you aren't a 100% interested in, isn't something you should apply to.

Quote:3. Job Prospects

This is a very important factor for most people, no doubt, but I won't talk about that here. This is something which has been discussed to death here on Edulix, and I personally have been guilty of most of that rambling on this topic. Read through the 2 threads in point #2 below, in my signature, by clicking on the words "this" that are in red. Read through them carefully, even though at the outset you might think they have nothing to do with what you're interested in or what you're applying to.

09-09-2017 05:07 AM
codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

Quote: Your primary objective to come to a foreign country is to learn more about that place, learn from people from varying backgrounds, and most importantly, learn to make a career and grow not just as a professional but as a person as well.

I understand this very well, hence this is way down on my priority list. I have, thanks to my present job requirement, has to travel to new countries (including Saudi Arabia) without any one I knew. Initially, it was a little intimidating (i wouldn't lie) but eventually it wasn't bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to these experiences I can confidently say that I can adjust to new places rather well. Even in my early life, I have had to travel to lots of places within a year or two (due to my dad's work) and I am pretty used to that kind of life. Also, my target has been Canada (with applications to the US as well). Would you know someone who could help me with Canadian colleges as well? I see very little mention of Canada in these forums.

Quote:Use them to come up with a very basic list to start off from.

I did a preliminary search on the web based on QS Ranking and have come up with the following list (sorted in descending order of world ranking). Could you tell me based on my profile which group could possibly be my Target, Reach and Safe colleges. I plan to limit my US applications to 6. That would be 1 Target, 3 Reach, and 2 Safety. Now, these are from the top 500 colleges. I didn't think applying to anything below 500 would be worth it. Correct me if I am wrong.

University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of California, Davis
The Ohio State University
Texas A&M University
Arizona State University
University of Florida
University of California, Riverside
University at Buffalo SUNY
Boston College
University of Rochester

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it! Cheers!
09-09-2017 09:12 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

There is a whole separate Canadian admissions forum on Edulix, right here. Go through it and select schools, then put your profile up there for evaluation on them, and don't forget to tag seniors from Canadian schools over there in that post.

Coming to your US list:

University of Pennsylvania - ambi-mod
University of Southern California - mod-safe
University of California, Davis - mod-ambi
The Ohio State University - mod-ambi
Texas A&M University - drop
Arizona State University - safe-mod
University of Florida - mod
University of California, Riverside - mod, but you can apply to a better UC school such as UCI or UCSB
University at Buffalo SUNY - mod to safe-mod
Boston College - mod
University of Rochester - mod

Consider some other schools such as NCSU, Rutgers, UMN, Iowa state, and SJSU for a safe. Go through the program listings, courses available and research being conducted at all these schools and come up with the next list on that basis alone. Rankings shouldn't be a factor from this point on in your university selection. What matters the most is how suitable a program is to your interests and how well it fits into your budget, every other factor should be secondary.

09-09-2017 11:25 PM
codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

(09-09-2017 11:25 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  There is a whole separate Canadian admissions forum on Edulix, right here. Go through it and select schools, then put your profile up there for evaluation on them, and don't forget to tag seniors from Canadian schools over there in that post.

Coming to your US list:

University of Pennsylvania - ambi-mod
University of Southern California - mod-safe
University of California, Davis - mod-ambi
The Ohio State University - mod-ambi
Texas A&M University - drop
Arizona State University - safe-mod
University of Florida - mod
University of California, Riverside - mod, but you can apply to a better UC school such as UCI or UCSB
University at Buffalo SUNY - mod to safe-mod
Boston College - mod
University of Rochester - mod

Consider some other schools such as NCSU, Rutgers, UMN, Iowa state, and SJSU for a safe. Go through the program listings, courses available and research being conducted at all these schools and come up with the next list on that basis alone. Rankings shouldn't be a factor from this point on in your university selection. What matters the most is how suitable a program is to your interests and how well it fits into your budget, every other factor should be secondary.

Hi The_Observer,

Firstly thanks for the evaluation of the colleges I sent across.

I have spent time since then, finalizing my list of 4 colleges that I can send my free GRE scores to.

I am focusing on starting with the college I have a good chance of getting through (mainly safe and mod-safe colleges). I have also gotten in touch with some of my friends who have a similar profile as mine (with lesser work experience) who have made it to some colleges (most have completed their course already, I am basing my option on the colleges they got accepted in.

My list of four colleges are:

Arizona State University
University at SUNY Buffalo
Florida Institute of Technology
_____ (last one is still undecided)

Few questions here, I have been following Florida Tech for a long time now primarily due to my interest (from school days in Aerospace and NASA, hence Mechanical Engineering). They some really cool research and tie ups. Could you tell me what you know and think of Florida Tech?? Is it a good option??

Also, please if you can help me I am thinking of a safe college in California with low tuition.

Thanks.
09-15-2017 09:47 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Florida Tech is in a small town called Melbourne (which generally makes the news because many hurricanes/tropical storms including the most recent, Irma, generally pass through that region of Florida). Nothing special about it, it's your usual university town, but not as happening as say Tuscaloosa (home to the University of Alabama) or Blacksburg (home to Virginia Tech). The university itself is decent, but not too well-known outside the local region (Orlando/Central FL). Read the 2nd thread in my signature by clicking on the word "this" to understand why I'm emphasizing that point.

Also, if you're planning to apply to FIT just because of the partnerships with Aerospace/defense firms they have, do yourself a favor: don't apply. As an international student, you're not going to be eligible to work in most such companies and positions, so going to a school that's only known for that one thing mainly isn't going to do wonders for your career (and needless to say, it'd be rather pointless to spend a ton of money on such a program, especially at a private school like FIT).

Also, I don't know why you brought up the fact that FIT has good research in MechE, here in this context. I mean, you're applying for an MS in CS, with a specialization in BI/DS, which has very little to do with mechanical engineering. Even if somehow you are able to get involved in aerospace research (and that goes for any school in the US, not just FIT), you'll have to be very lucky to find a job in that sector because you'll need visa sponsorship, and even more importantly, because you as a non-US citizen/permanent resident, aren't eligible to get a security clearance, which is almost a requirement for jobs in those companies.

In short, I'd pick another school to apply to instead of FIT, especially given that you're applying for an MS in CS, which you have tons of options to apply for.

Quote:Also, please if you can help me I am thinking of a safe college in California with low tuition.

Sorry, I ain't doing that. Go through other threads here on Edulix, pick up some names, go through each university's website and post it here. I can help you estimate if a school is within your reach, but I won't pull school names out of a hat for you.

09-15-2017 11:34 PM
codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

codematrix Offline
New Edulixian

Hello,

I gave my GRE today. In fact I am just on my way back home. I got an unofficial score of 153 Verbal and 164 quant. I have sent score to the following colleges.

University of Texas at Dallas
University of North Carolina
Arizona State University
University of Wisconsin

Could you please rate them based on my score. Post that I would prepare other colleges. I am not too happy with my score especially quant. You think I should give it again ?

Thanks again for all your help.
Yesterday 03:51 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

University of Texas at Dallas - safe
University of North Carolina - ambi, drop
Arizona State University - safe
University of Wisconsin - ambi, drop

Yesterday 10:43 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread