adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 2018 | MS | ECE | GRE 310 (Q:160/V:150/ AWA: 4.5)| TOEFL: 102 | Work: 4Y |
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know your views about Engineering programs at the University of Texas at Tyler.

Is it worth going for from the program and are post graduation job prospects good enough?

My main areas of interests are VLSI, Embedded Systems, and Machine learning.

Your comments and advice would be highly valuable.

Thanks in advance,
Aditya

Tagging Seniors
@edulix_editor
@The_Chharraa
@ChinmayNKumar

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 04:04 PM by adityamall1990.)
09-08-2017 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: How is University of texas at tyler for VLSI ?
There are way better universities one can attend. Please update the universities section of your UniSearch profile, so we know what options you're looking at.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-08-2017 09:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

(09-08-2017 09:38 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  There are way better universities one can attend. Please update the universities section of your UniSearch profile, so we know what options you're looking at.

Hi, Thanks for your response,

I have just applied to 5 universities for spring session as I was late with deadline,

I got a reject from Colorado state university, (Updating my university section)

Rest of the universities that I am aiming for are:-
[GRE 310 |V150 |Q160 |AWA 5 || TOEFL 102 || Percentage overall: 58%, Final year: 68%|| Workex: 48 M (24 M in MNC)]

Arizona State University (FALL 2018)
Texas A and M University College Station (FALL 2018)
Texas A and M University Kingsville (FALL 2018)
University of Texas Tyler (FALL 2018)
University of Colorado Denver (FALL 2018)
Northeastern University (FALL 2018)
University of Massachusetts Amherst (FALL 2018)
SUNY Stony Brook (FALL 2018)
University of Utah (FALL 2018)

[Already Applied] (SPRING 2018)
Florida State
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Texas Arlington
University of Texas Dallas

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 10:50 PM by adityamall1990.)
09-08-2017 10:45 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Thank you, that detailed information is very helpful.

Now, I don't know how you've gotten these names as options, but you can apply to better schools, and even more so if you retake the GRE and are able to score 320+ overall with 165+ on the quant.

Arizona State University (FALL 2018) - ambi
Texas A and M University College Station (FALL 2018) - drop, no point applying
Texas A and M University Kingsville (FALL 2018) - safe
University of Texas Tyler (FALL 2018) - safe
University of Colorado Denver (FALL 2018) - mod
Northeastern University (FALL 2018) - ambi
University of Massachusetts Amherst (FALL 2018) - drop, no point applying
SUNY Stony Brook (FALL 2018) - mod-ambi
University of Utah (FALL 2018) - ambi, consider Utah State U instead

Consider these: Syracuse, UT Knoxville, UN Lincoln, UN Omaha, Oklahoma State, Auburn, UGeorgia, George Mason, Washington State, UOregon, Cal State schools (Sac State, Fresno, Fullerton, LA, LB), UMass Lowell and Dartmouth, UL Lafayette, Louisiana State and University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, Huntsville and Birmingham).

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-08-2017 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

(09-08-2017 10:58 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  Thank you, that detailed information is very helpful.

Now, I don't know how you've gotten these names as options, but you can apply to better schools, and even more so if you retake the GRE and are able to score 320+ overall with 165+ on the quant.

Arizona State University (FALL 2018) - ambi
Texas A and M University College Station (FALL 2018) - drop, no point applying
Texas A and M University Kingsville (FALL 2018) - safe
University of Texas Tyler (FALL 2018) - safe
University of Colorado Denver (FALL 2018) - mod
Northeastern University (FALL 2018) - ambi
University of Massachusetts Amherst (FALL 2018) - drop, no point applying
SUNY Stony Brook (FALL 2018) - mod-ambi
University of Utah (FALL 2018) - ambi, consider Utah State U instead

Consider these: Syracuse, UT Knoxville, UN Lincoln, UN Omaha, Oklahoma State, Auburn, UGeorgia, George Mason, Washington State, UOregon, Cal State schools (Sac State, Fresno, Fullerton, LA, LB), UMass Lowell and Dartmouth, UL Lafayette, Louisiana State and University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, Huntsville and Birmingham).

HI,

Thanks for writing so much in detail.

Can't give GRE another go, this was already my second attempt, already running out of time. Too many work projects, family issues, I am 27, have to consider other things in life as well, if you can get get what I mean.

I usually picked these options,
3 Ambi, 4-5mod and 5 safe

For stony brook and Northeastern, Some say it safe some say it is not!... I have been going through a lot of Data and trend, it is quite hard to guess a pattern.

I also admit the fact that my reject in Colorado state could be due to a SOP written in haste because of being close to deadlines.

Alternatively, I am also considering Canada as well and also giving GATE 2018.

Also, thanks for mentioning Cal state schools I am going to consider those and infact I was about ask for the same.

Adding to this I have recently associated my self with an independent Lab for embedded systems projects and IOT implementation.

Due to budget issues I may not be able to consider some private universities or those with more than $30K/year tution

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 11:14 PM by adityamall1990.)
09-08-2017 11:10 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

If that is detailed for you, you should read through other posts of mine right here on Edulix... Laughing

In any case:

1) Please do edit the thread title as per the format expected in this profile eval forum (look through the other threads to have an idea of that). Adhering to that format gives us evaluators an insight into your profile, at a glance, and it saves us a lot of time and effort in digging through your profile.

2)
Quote:Can't give GRE another go, this was already my second attempt, already running out of time. Too many work projects, family issues, I am 27, have to consider other things in life as well, if you can get get what I mean.

Out of curiosity, what were the scores on your first GRE attempt?

3)
Quote:For stony brook and Northeastern, Some say it safe some say it is not!... I have been going through a lot of Data and trend, it is quite hard to guess a pattern.

Establishing patterns is always tricky. Personally, I'd never consider NEU and SBU to be complete safes (more so, SBU) unless one has good acads and a good GRE score; and even then, there's a distinct possibility that one might get rejected from one or both those schools. That's why I don't categorize schools as "safe" in many cases. In your case, your GRE score does pose a problem here, especially for schools that might be considered as "safe" by/for many other applicants.

This is not being said to discourage you in any way, or to imply that you shouldn't apply to these or any other schools. You should apply and give it your best shot while doing so. We'll help you do that here on Edulix, but be aware of the fact that most of us here try to encourage applicants like yourselves to retake the GRE only because we want you to be able to apply to the best schools you possibly can (and while you cannot change your GPA now, the GRE score is a factor that might be improved upon for a lot of people). I, like many other people here on Edulix and outside it (mostly people who've gone through grad school in the US/elsewhere) strongly believe that an applicant shouldn't go to schools - any schools anywhere - just for the heck of it. If you think this is the best you can do, then great, do it. If not, improve what you can, and try again, if possible.

4)
Quote:I also admit the fact that my reject in Colorado state could be due to a SOP written in haste because of being close to deadlines.

Read through this thread completely. A lot of stuff has been discussed over there which would help you to write and/or critique your SOP. As I'm sure you've realized by now, a good SOP is very critical and its importance is often underestimated by many applicants. Don't be one of those people now, especially because in your case, you need to convince the AdCom harder of your suitability because you have lower than average GRE scores and academics. It's not about other people applying to a given program having a similar profile to yours, but about convincing the AdCom why you, specifically, should be admitted, and that's only possible with a good SOP.

5)
Quote:Alternatively, I am also considering Canada as well and also giving GATE 2018.

Why the GATE? I mean, if you're not a 100% confident and willing in your decision to come here to the US/Canada, why do you want to waste hundreds of dollars in applying to programs here?

6)
Quote:Due to budget issues I may not be able to consider some private universities or those with more than $30K/year tution

Well, then, start researching through univ websites and draw up a list of schools where the total costs (including not just the tuition costs, but also all associated fees and other expenses such as living, food, travel, etc.) are in your budget. This is something you'll have to - and should - do on your own. If you need help, ask for it, but get started first on your own, and show initiative. Use the names I suggested, as well as other suggestions from other sites as a starting point, and then go from there. Ask us if you're unsure of something, or don't know how to look for or estimate costs for something, but I won't give things to you on a silver platter.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 04:39 AM by The_Observer.)
09-09-2017 04:37 AM
adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

adityamall1990 Offline
New Edulixian

RE: Fall 2018 | MS | ECE | GRE 310 (Q:160/V:150/ AWA: 4.5)| TOEFL: 102 | Work: 4Y |
(09-09-2017 04:37 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  If that is detailed for you, you should read through other posts of mine right here on Edulix... Laughing

In any case:

1) Please do edit the thread title as per the format expected in this profile eval forum (look through the other threads to have an idea of that). Adhering to that format gives us evaluators an insight into your profile, at a glance, and it saves us a lot of time and effort in digging through your profile.

2)
Quote:Can't give GRE another go, this was already my second attempt, already running out of time. Too many work projects, family issues, I am 27, have to consider other things in life as well, if you can get get what I mean.

Out of curiosity, what were the scores on your first GRE attempt?

3)
Quote:For stony brook and Northeastern, Some say it safe some say it is not!... I have been going through a lot of Data and trend, it is quite hard to guess a pattern.

Establishing patterns is always tricky. Personally, I'd never consider NEU and SBU to be complete safes (more so, SBU) unless one has good acads and a good GRE score; and even then, there's a distinct possibility that one might get rejected from one or both those schools. That's why I don't categorize schools as "safe" in many cases. In your case, your GRE score does pose a problem here, especially for schools that might be considered as "safe" by/for many other applicants.

This is not being said to discourage you in any way, or to imply that you shouldn't apply to these or any other schools. You should apply and give it your best shot while doing so. We'll help you do that here on Edulix, but be aware of the fact that most of us here try to encourage applicants like yourselves to retake the GRE only because we want you to be able to apply to the best schools you possibly can (and while you cannot change your GPA now, the GRE score is a factor that might be improved upon for a lot of people). I, like many other people here on Edulix and outside it (mostly people who've gone through grad school in the US/elsewhere) strongly believe that an applicant shouldn't go to schools - any schools anywhere - just for the heck of it. If you think this is the best you can do, then great, do it. If not, improve what you can, and try again, if possible.

4)
Quote:I also admit the fact that my reject in Colorado state could be due to a SOP written in haste because of being close to deadlines.

Read through this thread completely. A lot of stuff has been discussed over there which would help you to write and/or critique your SOP. As I'm sure you've realized by now, a good SOP is very critical and its importance is often underestimated by many applicants. Don't be one of those people now, especially because in your case, you need to convince the AdCom harder of your suitability because you have lower than average GRE scores and academics. It's not about other people applying to a given program having a similar profile to yours, but about convincing the AdCom why you, specifically, should be admitted, and that's only possible with a good SOP.

5)
Quote:Alternatively, I am also considering Canada as well and also giving GATE 2018.

Why the GATE? I mean, if you're not a 100% confident and willing in your decision to come here to the US/Canada, why do you want to waste hundreds of dollars in applying to programs here?

6)
Quote:Due to budget issues I may not be able to consider some private universities or those with more than $30K/year tution

Well, then, start researching through univ websites and draw up a list of schools where the total costs (including not just the tuition costs, but also all associated fees and other expenses such as living, food, travel, etc.) are in your budget. This is something you'll have to - and should - do on your own. If you need help, ask for it, but get started first on your own, and show initiative. Use the names I suggested, as well as other suggestions from other sites as a starting point, and then go from there. Ask us if you're unsure of something, or don't know how to look for or estimate costs for something, but I won't give things to you on a silver platter.

Firstly I would want to say, thank you so much for pointing out everything. The fact that you are helping everyone should be appreciated a lot. Smile

1)
Quote:Please do edit the thread title as per the format expected in this profile eval forum (look through the other threads to have an idea of that). Adhering to that format gives us evaluators an insight into your profile, at a glance, and it saves us a lot of time and effort in digging through your profile.

Done!

2)
Quote: Out of curiosity, what were the scores on your first GRE attempt?

First attempt: GRE 300, V:153, Q:150, AWA:2.5
Second attempt: GRE 310, V:150, Q:160, AWA:5

3)
Quote:Establishing patterns is always tricky. Personally, I'd never consider NEU and SBU to be complete safes (more so, SBU) unless one has good acads and a good GRE score; and even then, there's a distinct possibility that one might get rejected from one or both those schools......................

Well safe or not, that is your point of view, Some say it safe for 310 as a score with 160 in quant, but there can be N number of situations to consider, hence that is the reason people post on forums to know a third person's review.
what you wrote regarding universities is also correct and I agree with you. But regarding GRE is going to be difficult. Managing thing with almost a 12-13 hour job in total considering travel with almost no offs on weekends is challenging.

4)
Quote: Read through this thread completely. A lot of stuff has been discussed over there which would help you to write and/or critique your SOP.

Noted and Thanks!

5)
Quote:Why the GATE? I mean, if you're not a 100% confident and willing in your decision to come here to the US/Canada, why do you want to waste hundreds of dollars in applying to programs here?

GATE Why not? what is wrong with keeping a backup plan? In fact GATE should help with MS coursework, not only it will make one's prerequisites strong but will also give one an edge in the coursework. Not just going there for the heck. I would have done that experiment so to speak, had I been just a kid right out of undergrad school. People don't even bother to know what subjects in their coursework lead to what in the industry let alone the major itself, when they apply to college. Having said that I simply can't say that about CSE people, thing are pretty generalized in the for them atleast as a whole, no matter what, if one is from CS undergrad background he would be taking MS in CS in most of the cases.
But for people in EE, things are different, In some places, I have to opt for MS in CE, in some places It is MS in ECE where as others just simply EE. The coursework are pretty different from university to university and also considering the fact that EE guy would surely apply in Texas followed by California or vice-a-versa, however being an Industry analyst in Electronics Industry, my stakes are in Texas as the ideal hub for an EE aspirant.
GATE is difficult and daunting. One can't just compare it with GRE but yes GATE is definitely more mentally taxing. And that is the reason why majority give GRE, a) It is comparatively easier, 2)you get to go abroad and earn big bucks in dollars, nothing wrong with that, but let me tell you, the majority in this forum even some of the senior members might have the same intentions in the past. Going to the dream land just for the heck or to earn big bucks and now that we are successful let us guide people. Which is good and quite appreciated. But let us not forget why you left that third world country, for contributing to science, for some, yes.., for the majority... not at all!
Research in EE every where is limited, especially VLSI, because one would need a several 100 million - billion dollar facility to actually come out with some proof concept (not sure about your knowledge in this field). Universities literally have do fabrication on old tech but it is not their fault, that have to deal with it. And industries in EE(vlsi) hire people on the bases of concepts and not on projects. What do you think, people would hire you on the basis of 70s micro controller you designed or a power management circuit?.. not at all, and can you improve the current multi core processor? or design better GPU right out of grad school?.. don't even think about before 15-20 years of work! And let me tell you, when some university is well known for research work, that is not about EE all the time, there are other fields, CS, nanotech etc...
It is a simple thing in VLSI... if you know your concepts... you are hired! (be it from any good or average universities) And that is a reason I asked... Texas tyler might also land me a job in AMD and Intel, depending upon my own effort, but is it still worth going, there are other factors that do come into play, enviornment, faculty, culture etc etc.. thing that seniors might be aware of and can give me a headsup about the college.

6)
Quote:Well, then, start researching through univ websites and draw up a list of schools where the total costs (including not just the tuition costs, but also all associated fees and other expenses such as living, food, travel, etc.)

Well thanks for this advice, I have already started doing this.

Again thanks a lot for pointing out so many things, there aren't a lot of people in this world who would take so much effort to help other for free.

I would be troubling you a bit more with my list of California based colleges. Very Happy

Best,
Aditya

09-09-2017 04:58 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread