Hi all, pls evaluate my profile for Fall 2018
visharthigee Offline
New Edulixian

visharthigee Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Hi all, pls evaluate my profile for Fall 2018
Hello Everyone, Please evaluate my Profile for Fall 2018 (for MS in Computer science)
Name: Aarthi Vishwanathan
College: PESIT, Bangalore
Branch: Computer Science
Degree Goal (MS/Ph.D.): MS
GPA/Percentage (Do not Convert to US Scale): 9.83
Topper's Percentage (or GPA): 9.95
Your rank in your class: 2
GRE: 321 (164Q 157V AWA: 4.0)
TOEFL: 111
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work Ex:
1) 0 years- Fresher
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internships: (If applicable)
1) PES University - Data Analytics
2) University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - Cloud Security

---------------------------------------------------------
Recommendations:
1) Professor in UIUC: Strong
2) HOD at College :Strong
3) Professor in College Medium

Following are the universities I have shortlisted. I am planning to apply for around 6 universities. Any help in classifying the universities into ambi/mod/safe or any suggestions would be appreciated.

1) USC
2) UIUC
3) UCBerkeley
4) Georgia Tech
5) University of Michigan , Ann Arbor
6) CMU
7) UToronto
Thanks in advance.
09-09-2017 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: Hi all, pls evaluate my profile for Fall 2018
What research were you involved in exactly(if any), and do you have any research papers published or anything presented in conferences?

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-09-2017 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
visharthigee Offline
New Edulixian

visharthigee Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
So my interest basically lies in cloud security....the work that i did in UIUC....it was based on dockers and linux containers...I had to perform partitioning of containers based on which executables could be kept in the same container...this was done by analyzing system call logs and program dependencies to decide the resource set...
Also, my role was to augment static analysis with dynamic analysis...so through this, i was able to reduce the size of the containers and I also performed remote process execution to retain the original functionality....

I currently dont have any research papers published....but im working on writing a paper for the work that i mentioned above...
09-09-2017 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Okay. So essentially no research. No work-ex. The fact that you have an awesome GPA and a recommendation from a UIUC prof, will help, but you would need to make a good SOP if you want to get into top schools.

1) USC - safe
2) UIUC - ambi
3) UCBerkeley - ambi
4) Georgia Tech - mod
5) University of Michigan , Ann Arbor - ambi
6) CMU - which program?
7) UToronto - ambi

As of right now, the lack of research experience and publications at the time of applications means that unfortunately you have low chances of getting into schools like Berkeley. You have a very top-heavy list as you can see above. Look through other threads here on Edulix, as well as using the UniSearch and UniSuggest systems here, come up with a more well-researched list comprising of a few moderate and safe schools.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-09-2017 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread