Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
MS in CS (data Science) Q 165 V 158 GPA 9
Hi guys can you please review my profile
1)Gre 323 Q 165 V 158 AWA 3.5
2) Yet to get the score
3)GPA 3.6 Cgpa 9
PASSING YEAR 2016 Pune university computer science
4) Multiple personal projects related to machine learning (NLP and speech)
5)Experience: 11 months in a banking software company (nothing related to Data Science)
3 months (currently working) in a data science company, working on telecom sector insights.
6)3 awards from previous company for different internal competitions (two contained a ML based solution and the other involved algorithmic optimization of an internal framework framework- all three can be called as projects)
7)My previous company was a multinational called ACI worldwide and these were awards for international competitions
8)Deep learning nano degree from Udacity (5 course projects regarding Neural Networks)
9) 1 paper published at IJCA (international journal for computer applications - dont know weather i should put this in my sop) which won the editor's choice award for the conference.
10) 1st in a National level paper presentation competition (PICT INC) for the same paper.
11)1 paper submitted to IEEE conference related to deep learning (UNDER REVIEW)
12)Mentored 1 final year project related to ML last year and guiding 2 more this year.
Extra curricular :
13) FE-head and only core committee member from first year for a national level college event.
14) Coordinated Academic management of college cultural group for 2 years.
15) Cultural Treasurer for 2 years.
16)LORs (I have multiple options)
1) 2 from college professors (both are not PhD) one was my data structures teacher, seminar guide and final year project guide another was my NLP professor (I scored good marks in her subject)
2) Final year project External Guide (Position : Solution Architect)
3) Director of my previous company
4) Senior Manager whom I reported to during my time in my previous company.

My questions
1) Can I try for top Universities like CMU, UIUC,Gatech or UT Austin
2) Is UCI, USC, UC Santa Cruz , Virginia Tech, Penn state, NCSU mod?
3) is ASU, UMass Amerhest, UNC chappal hill, TAMU, Stony Brook safe for me
4) which one is better MS in DS or MS in CS where I can take DS courses.
5) Any other good universities which I may be missing.
6) Any uni which I may have classified incorrectly.
Thanks 😀
09-15-2017 12:37 AM
Find all posts by this user
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: MS in CS (data Science) Q 165 V 158 GPA 9
Quote:1 paper published at IJCA (international journal for computer applications - dont know weather i should put this in my sop) which won the editor's choice award for the conference

That snippet belongs in your CV, not the SOP.

Quote:1 paper submitted to IEEE conference related to deep learning

This you can obliquely reference in your SOP e.g. "I am interested in the field of deep learning. In addition to working on projects XYZ and ABC, I have also submitted a paper to DEF conference which is currently under review". But, keep in mind, that while a paper submission is better than none, it really doesn't add much unless it's published. So, if you choose to include this fact in your SOP, I wouldn't devote more than 1 sentence to it.

Quote:FE-head and only core committee member from first year for a national level college event. - Nobody cares.
Coordinated Academic management of college cultural group for 2 years. - Like seriously, nobody cares.
Cultural Treasurer for 2 years. - Guess what? Nobody cares.

I'll tell you why nobody cares about extra-curriculars for most grad programs: because you're not applying to an undergrad program or an MBA. For a technical MS/PhD, what matters the most are (not in any specific order), your academics, your research experience and your work-ex. Everything else you might want to brag about is just a waste of everyone's time, and valuable SOP space, so save it.

Quote:LORs (I have multiple options)
2 from college professors (both are not PhD) one was my data structures teacher, seminar guide and final year project guide another was my NLP professor (I scored good marks in her subject)

Okay, I'll say this for the sake of not just you, but every other person who reads this. Nobody cares about the credentials of your recommender. I mean, think about it, a smart person praising you is great, but (a) smartness isn't decided or measured by one's academic credentials, and (b) what YOU did in your interactions with your recommender is way more important to the AdCom than the actual or perceived smartness of who recommended you (however that might be measured in the first place). I hope you get what I'm trying to say here: don't run around trying to get recommendations from the best academically qualified people you know, especially if they don't know you well enough to talk comprehensively and subjectively about your work quality, ethic and potential for grad school. Rather, get recommendations from people who know your work very well, and who can on that basis convince the AdCom that you're a good potential grad student. I don't know why most of us Indian grad applicants have this weird fascination with trying to get LORs from doctorates, but it really doesn't matter, unless the doctorate in question has interacted with you to a good extent!

Quote:Final year project External Guide (Position : Solution Architect)

Continuing with my above comments: does this person actually know your work ethic and quality, or are you just thinking of asking a reco from that person because of their designation? If it's the latter, don't do it for that reason one.

Director of my previous company

Same comment as above.

Senior Manager whom I reported to during my time in my previous company.

Since you reported directly to this person, getting a reco from this person is not just fine,
but it is probably expected as well. In addition to this person, try to get a reco from your current direct supervisor as well.

Ideally, for most MS programs, AdComs like to see 1-2 academic recommendations. Note here, that your project guide does not count as an academic recommender unless that person actually taught you a class or two. So, I'd recommend that unless one has more than 3-5 years out of school, get at least 1 reco from a college professor who directly taught you and hence knows your capabilities well (ideally, get it from someone who taught you multiple classes; more the better).

Quote:1) Can I try for top Universities like CMU, UIUC,Gatech or UT Austin

Possibly.

2) Is UCI, USC, UC Santa Cruz , Virginia Tech, Penn state, NCSU mod?

Is that the name of a single school?

3) is ASU, UMass Amerhest, UNC chappal hill, TAMU, Stony Brook safe for me

"Chappal" hill and "Amerhest"? Really? Did you bother doing any research at all on your own, before posting your list here? If you want to be spoon-fed a list, Edulix isn't the place for you. We're not "counselors", and we want you to do your own background research on programs and schools before you give us a list.

4) which one is better MS in DS or MS in CS where I can take DS courses.

See my comment for #5 below.

5) Any other good universities which I may be missing.

Look through other threads here on Edulix. Draw up some names across all categories, from the suggestions given to other people on other threads. Then, go through each university and program's website, and comb through the courses each program allows you to take, and research being conducted in each school. See if you like both, the coursework offered and the research being conducted, and if so, include it in your initial list. Otherwise, don't. Make your initial list that way, and post it here for evaluation. Remember: we can and will only help you identify using our best guess estimates if a school is within reach for you. We cannot - and absolutely - will not help you think for yourself and spoon-feed you a list. That is solely your job as a grad applicant. If you need help, ask for it. We're more than willing to help you get answers you won't get elsewhere, but you have to do the legwork on your own and show us that you're willing to first help yourself.

6) Any uni which I may have classified incorrectly.

Actually, please leave the categorization to us. Please don't attempt to categorize schools on your own, because doing so and posting such a list here on a public forum like Edulix might misguide future applicants.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 01:10 AM by The_Observer.)
09-15-2017 12:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
omkarpatil9675 Offline
New Edulixian

omkarpatil9675 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Hi, thanks for the reply. I apologize for posting in such an immature manner. I will surely take you valuable feedback into consideration and come up with another detailed question soon. I've just started my research and never thought Edulix will be such a well-moderated community. I see now why it is so highly rated. Anyways thanks again Very Happy
09-15-2017 01:54 AM
Find all posts by this user
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Thank you, and not just for the compliment Smile The reason we ask you to do all these things on your own, is because every single one of us who evaluates profiles and guides applicants has gone through the grad school application phase and has either studied in a university in the US/Europe/elsewhere, or is studying towards a degree; so we aren't counsellors and we know doing this will help you make your SOP. We do this in our free time only because we want to guide the next generation of applicants, but it makes sense to do so only if we see you're putting efforts from your end too.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix.

2) Please take some time out to read this and this thread in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 02:23 AM by The_Observer.)
09-15-2017 01:58 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Closing this thread because you've opened another one for profile eval, here. Please stick to ONE thread at any given time.

09-19-2017 01:19 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread