Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

dopemonkeyman Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
[OT]:First semester story.
Hi everyone.As you people prepare for finishing sending your apps/awaiting decisions,I'm done with my first semester and enjoying the snow(not really).
Here is a short writeup on my experiences post-first Sem.Some of these are my opinions and should not be taken as a rule or something.Whatever.

Lets go Arrow

1.On Campus job

"Looking for a job.Are you hiring?"

I had thought that getting an on campus job would be easy.I was wrong.I had to toil for more than 2 weeks in summer before I landed up with one.2 of my friends had to go without any job.So,don't take on campus jobs for
granted.I know they are plenty in some univs-like USC for eg.(I think);but they are not easy to come by in most of the other univs.

I wrote tons of emails to authorities of every dept that I could find on my univ website.I visited all depts asking for any available openings.Sadly,most of them were for work-study students-meaning only for undergrads,or dept. centric jobs.Finally,one email turned out to be golden and I finally got a decent,well paying job.But,I was pretty aggressive in this whole job search thing and that's how you should be too.Also,try to set your foot on this country before the crowd sets in.Makes things easier.

2.Courses

In the first sem,choose your courses wisely.Take a good opinion of your seniors on the Profs. under whom you might take courses.Well informed decisions matter here.Don't overload yourself by taking tough courses,but if you love those courses,then go ahead.

Another thing-if you're finding it difficult to cope up with studies,you might as well consider giving up on your on campus job and spending more time with the books.Because your performance in the first Sem. is what matters.

3.Prof and ties with them

Keep meeting Profs.Develop good ties with them.Discuss HWs,ask difficulties,ask them on their research work if it interests you.Make them know you.

4.Research meets

I don't know about other univs.but my dept. has numerous research meets every week and anyone interested is allowed to attend them.It's a real good thing.They are usually attended by more than 2 Profs. and is a great way to make yourself known to them,even if you've not taken any courses from them.In my dept,these Profs,when they feel that the student is interested enough in their research work,give some task to him.If they are satisfied with his work,he finally ends up with funding later on.Funding of course,eventually depends on how much money the Prof. has at that moment.Participating in such meets also makes you more visible within the dept which helps.

5.Meeting smart people/PhD people.

Yes,talk to smart people.In my dept,they're usually the geeky ones sitting in the lab in front of the computer doing some research work.It's really amazing to see their knowledge and hear about what they're
doing.If you are interested in any particular branch within your field,there is no reason why you shouldn't go and talk to these PhD guys about their work.There is so much to learn from them.And you might as well ask them whether if you can in someway get involved in the work they're doing.You can approach Profs. also for the same.

6.Homeworks and projects

People,do your homework and projects very properly.Try to maximize your scores in these.There is a LOT of weightage given to timely submissions.Late submits lose grades heavily.You never know how the exam papers may turn up,so make sure that you keep these good atleast.They do play a significant role in deciding your final grade for the course(usually 50% weightage).
Also,you are not supposed to copy HWs/assignments etc.Academic honesty is something very serious here,and students found cheating can get penalized severely.HW questions tend to be tough,well,it depends on the Prof. really, but usually they are quite challenging.

Another note-if you are stuck somewhere in HW,go and TALK to the Prof.Discuss your thoughts with him/her.Make them know that you are working,taking efforts.Make them know YOU.It all pays off in the end.

Again,don't submit anything late.I did it and I suffered [Image: erk3rm.gif].

7.Thinking of home

It's 4am in the night.I'm alone in the lab,my eyelids are superheavy,eyeballs are dry.I constantly wish that I could sleep forever.But then,I have to submit a project on which I'm already running late.There is a bug in the program I'm trying to get rid of for past couple of hours.Why am I even doing this?There are random snapshots of people back home in the air,like floating portraits.I wish that I was at home.But no,I'm not,so better get down with work,or my grades will screw up.It may not be very easy for folks like me to cope up with the thought of
leaving home,especially if you've been sticking around with the family all the time before.But as time progresses, things become a lot easier as you'll see.

8.Eating properly

I can't emphasize more on having a good eating routine and good food.Learning to cook would help.Btw,cooking is a bit overrated actually,it's not that hard.Carry lots of masalas.
Don't think twice on spending money on buying something to eat.Food in market tends to be expensive,but if your body needs it,then feed yourself.Keep in good health to remain sound in studies and other activities.

9.Bedbugs [Image: erk3rm.gif]

Freaking bedbugs.They are very common here and they are stronger than batman.I stomped 4 times on a bedbug yesterday,but the bugger didn't die.I finally had to use our desi jugaad-roll up a newspaper and squat squat on the bug.
But bedbugs are a real nuisance.Once you get them at your home-usually through a second hand furniture or a used mattress or from the luggage of friend who has come from his bed-bug infested home-you're in for a bad bad treat.They bite you at night,and you start scratching.They rob you of your sleep, which is going to be very precious as a grad. student.Sometimes,their bite may result in allergies.I don't think that there is any good bedbug killer spray available in market(yes,not even in America.If seniors know of one,please recommend.These bedbugs are making me go weak day by day,I'm losing the battle [Image: erk3rm.gif]...kthx).These people just don't die-once they are there-they're there to stay.

---

To wrap up,it's been a tough ride this semester.The best thing about grad. education is that it makes you stand responsible for yourself.I had to manage everything on my own,from studies,jobs to food,laundary and insects.Gone are the days when mommy used to take care of evertything:here you better take care of yourself or fall.

Finishing note:People, I think that one stinks more here.I mean,my socks stink like never before.They never used to stink in Mumbai!My shoes are stinking,my clothes also stink.My winter jacket stinks of my lab.It's a very queer,irritating,biting smell,I hate it.My sweat stink factor must have gone 10x here.And mind you,I do take regular baths.(Though not v-e-r-y regular also Wink).I've never witnessed these when I was in Mumbai.

And now that I think of it,I feel the best part about America is it's fast internet connection speeds.Nothing else.So now,onto lots of downloads these holidays [Image: spin9nc.gif][Image: spin9nc.gif][Image: spin9nc.gif] and good luck to all [Image: 000000696kk.gif].
12-27-2005 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
adhan Offline
Edulix Active Member

adhan Offline
Edulix Active Member

Nice one..
What else I could say Rolling Eyes
12-27-2005 03:48 PM
Ambitious Offline
Edulix Active Member

Ambitious Offline
Edulix Active Member

Wow,

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." - Anon
12-27-2005 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
shb_f50 Offline
Edulix Active Member

shb_f50 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Kudos!!!! That was very nice..........

-Hemanth

Riding in dallas....

THE UNIVERSE CONSPIRES TO FAVOR YOU!!!
12-27-2005 03:50 PM
ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

He he, good to hear all this. A year back I was thinking a lot in these lines (except for the "meeting smart people/ PhD people" section - mine was "Why are PhD people expected to be smart" Razz ? )

Quote:To wrap up,it's been a tough ride this semester.The best thing about grad. education is that it makes you stand responsible for yourself.I had to manage everything on my own,from studies,jobs to food,laundary and insects.Gone are the days when mommy used to take care of evertything:here you better take care of yourself or fall.

Hmm ... well summarized. I remember writing similar senti stuff a year back. Didn't believe me, did you Smile ?

Quote:It's 4am in the night.I'm alone in the lab,my eyelids are superheavy,eyeballs are dry.I constantly wish that I could sleep forever.
Agree and sympathize whole-heartedly.

Now here comes a contradiction:

Quote:I'm already running late.There is a bug in the program I'm trying to get rid of for past couple of hours.Why am I even doing this?

and
Quote:I stomped 4 times on a bedbug yesterday,but the bugger(no pun) didn't die.I finally had to use our desi jugaad-roll up a newspaper and
squat squat on the bug.

Don't ever question your intentions about killing the bugs. Don't say "why a i even doing this". Just kill them. It is your moral and ethical responsibility. I am with you there, and one day, both the computer bug and the bed bug will die with a single 'squat'. May their soul rest in peace. Amen.

Have fun. Shoot me a message when the eyelids go real heavy or you start having too many "why" questions. Welcome to grad life.
12-27-2005 04:00 PM
The Longhorn Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

The Longhorn Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Grand work, monkeyman... really almost felt myself there *wish 8) *

Others may also chip in here about first sem experiences and tips and the like Smile

12-27-2005 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Rooju Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Rooju Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Outstanding!!
Made me think again whether i should really go for grad studies!!! Laughing

Keep posting such stuff!

Cheers..

12-27-2005 04:22 PM
viggums Offline
Edulix Active Member

viggums Offline
Edulix Active Member

Re: [OT]:First semester story.
Good job ... !! :D keep up the good work !!
All things are happening only for good .. :)
Wishing you all the very best ... !!

vignesh.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt, and Dance like you do when nobody's watching."
12-27-2005 04:26 PM
bluffmaster Offline
Edulix Super Senior

bluffmaster Offline
Edulix Super Senior

oh my my my !!!!!!!!!!

that was awesome .... nothins worth more than a first hand experience ... and the best part is ... u didnt fall ... rather u rose much higher ..

thanx for sharing that stuff .. n god bless ya Smile Smile

good day

zainab

- -> A d n a n <- -
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Northeastern Univ., Boston
Fall'06
MS in Vlsi Design
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
12-27-2005 04:36 PM
Reckless Offline
Edulix Active Member

Reckless Offline
Edulix Active Member

...well that was nicely written document giving us a taste of our future lives ahead.......but,surely it wont be an easy ride Crying or Very sad ........this para sums up all.......

Quote:To wrap up,it's been a tough ride this semester.The best thing about grad. education is that it makes you stand responsible for yourself.I had to manage everything on my own,from studies,jobs to food,laundary and insects.Gone are the days when mommy used to take care of evertything:here you better take care of yourself or fall.

Best of luck Monkeyman for d good future lying ahead....... Razz Razz

------------------------------------------------------
The best way to make ur dreams come true is to wake up!!!!!
12-27-2005 04:51 PM
The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Comprehensively conveys the educational life thr viz.Life is game...play it hard.
Dope u have convienced me that grad studies/life in usa is not as rosy as i was expecting for last few years.

Dope...bedbug? sad to know ur pain.
Take care Dope !

Live Life The Maharaja size !
Cheers.
12-27-2005 06:27 PM
Hitch_Hiker Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hitch_Hiker Offline
Edulix Active Member

May be u wanna change the topic title to "A Bug's Life" Wink

Jokes apart, valuable info monkey-man...

Profile & Status

Post your profile at Edulix UniSearch
12-27-2005 06:53 PM
abhiace9 Offline
Edulix Active Member

abhiace9 Offline
Edulix Active Member

excellent writing...

but has started giving KINDA AMERICAN BLUES!!! Sad Sad Sad
12-27-2005 06:54 PM
sabman Offline
Edulix Active Member

sabman Offline
Edulix Active Member

nice article! about the download speeds, are they unlimited throughout? and is there any blockage of p2p s/w ? so u get to download movies and stuff?
12-27-2005 06:58 PM
The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Hey dope can u give us details bout ...
How's examinations are held/controlled at USA?
I mean to ask
How exactly exams are conducted @ USA univs?

All comments are appreciated Wink

Live Life The Maharaja size !
Cheers.
12-27-2005 06:58 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread