About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what all to read for AWA preperation
Unregistered

what all to read for AWA preperation
guys we all know AWA goes a big way in determining an admit reject. And believe me there is no shortcut to write a good essay. It requires a lot of reading and gradual build up of vocabulary and expression. This helps in memorizing good words is a seperate benfit altogether. So if anyone of you is starting out early, I recommend him the following workout which will surely improve your general english thereby boost your GRE score

1. Where to start (editorilas of Hindustan Times, Times of India and Hindu in that order)
2. Next step Readers Digest
3. Lets step up the heat (ruskin Bond a single anthology of his will get you started)
4. Especially for AWA read fountainhead and atlas shrugged. This is the place where you will get the maximum points in engaging in a healthy debate on individuality VS Collectivism the most commonly occuring bone of contention in AWAs
5. Read as many contemporary Indian writers as you can people of the like of anita Desai, Jhumpa Lahiri, Salman Rushdie, Vikram Seth
6. EXAM rush (Arcos GRE CAT ANSWERS FOR REAL ESAAY Questions)
7. Practice as much as you can

Following these steps over a period of 4-6 months will really boost up your language scores be it GRE or TOEFL so beat of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-09-2006 11:43 PM
Quote this message in a reply
AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link

I didnt score well in GRE.. Anyway here are my two cents.

Practice Practice and Practice

Use the big book. Its a repository.

"Peace to Troy"

R.I.P.
03-10-2006 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2

big book is no doubt a must but if you dont have it use barons and kaplan verbal workout for language sections of the test.

03-10-2006 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

ok guys first thing first it is extremely important to get a good AWA for securing a good admit... In fact many good universities have an AWA requirement of 4.0 or 4.5 so do practice hard....

now here are a few advice from my side....
Sice the GRE AWA is preliminarily corrected by a software, u can fool it if u r smart..
I mean to say use words like though, although , eventhough, moreover, consequently, etc more liberally as it indicates reasoning for the computer....
A word of caution please make sure your sentence formation is correct before you apply the above technique or else it would work the other way round.....

Xpect D unXpected...
03-11-2006 01:03 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

dude
i have a strong word againt it. the reason being u are handing a knife in akids hand. those who dunno how to do may get very badly hurt by it(read awa below three). my advice write lucidly. dont be too flowery if u dunno how to. avoid plagiarism as they have a built in check for it and give a lot of examples in support of your arguent. that should solve the purpose

03-11-2006 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

decentpravin Wrote:..
Sice the GRE AWA is preliminarily corrected by a software, u can fool it if u r smart..

nope wrong. Your essays arent corrected by a software for the GRE. Each essay is read and scored by 2 seperate checkers(humans).

Cheers,
Auxin

To Hell With Georgia! Wink
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2006 09:44 PM by Auxin.)
03-11-2006 09:38 PM
Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

sorry for the double post

To Hell With Georgia! Wink
03-11-2006 09:40 PM
AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

decentpravin Wrote:Sice the GRE AWA is preliminarily corrected by a software, u can fool it if u r smart..
I mean to say use words like though, although , eventhough, moreover, consequently, etc more liberally as it indicates reasoning for the computer....
A word of caution please make sure your sentence formation is correct before you apply the above technique or else it would work the other way round.....

Absolutely wrong man. AWA is corrected by 2 humans.

Even if a software is developed to correct AWA, i dont think it can be fooled.

"Peace to Troy"

R.I.P.
03-12-2006 01:36 PM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ppl
pravin aint completely wrong. the plagiarism check is done by a software before humans rate it for originality and content. Yes you are write two checkers grade ur essay individually and their grade rounded off to the last 0.5 is your score. If the grade varition between the two checkers is more than one then it is given to a third examiner whose decision is final and binding

03-12-2006 06:07 PM
AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

AnbeSivam Offline
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you prakash. The essay is checked for plagiarism by a software called Essay Similarity detection. Anyway I dont think it will be used as a scoring tool. Nonetheless, it cannot be fooled.

"Peace to Troy"

R.I.P.
03-12-2006 06:18 PM
decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

guys most of you all got me wrong!!!!
Did i say that it is not corrected by humans!!!! Shocked Shocked

I reiterate that the software is used at the preliminary stage to check the grammar and other stuffs like reasoning word and repetition of words.....

And the examinor does get this computer evaluation for his convenience but whether he uses it or not is purely his choice...
Now coming to the point of lucidity....guys use of these word in fact increase the lucidity.....

However i would agree that it is indeed a dangerous tool and i would not advice anyone this option if u wanting 3.5 -4.0 in AWA but for people aiming more than that this would surely help.....

Guys i have used this on myself and i guess i know the difference.....
BTW i will get back to you all with the official ETS web scoring tool address.....i just cant recollect it now.... Rolling Eyes

Hope i have removed some confusion from my previous response!!!!

Xpect D unXpected...
03-13-2006 01:23 AM
cornucopia Offline
Edulix Active Member

cornucopia Offline
Edulix Active Member

i ll tell u what i did :
1) read through a few essays from the ets book
2) practiced on my comp

its important to be able to type fast and there s this myth that those who write long essays get better scores but thats crap !

if u have the patience , u can get that list of essays on the ets site and do one argument and one essay (dont remember what it was called) everyother day .. make sure u time it .. try to stick to half an hour limit for both

gre :1380(q800+v580+5.5a)
toefl:280
acads: 84% (anna univ,affiliated)
MS EE/CE- VLSI
6 univs applied
rejects:2 (tamu,univ of Cinn)
admits: 3(Ufl, UIC , uc boulder - comp arch)
03-21-2006 01:23 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

@ cornucopia
u are right that long essays make better scores is myth but to explain cogently an issue you need 500-600 words to the minimum and beyond 800 the whole thing appears a drag

03-21-2006 04:25 PM
wreckedpc Offline
Edulix Active Member

wreckedpc Offline
Edulix Active Member

There is a book titles "GRE Essays" by Arco that is considered as the best for essays. But take one advice. Go directly to GRE website and download list of topics they have there for referene. That includes topic for Essay and arguments also. Belive it or not, the topic I got for my argument essay was DITTO , same as the one they have posted on their website.

You neednt work on all the topics. IT is matter of getting your thoughts in line at the crucial point. Just chisel your grey cells for thinking in right direction in time . For essays , read the topic and make notes of the points you think you can elaborate. Usually best strategy is to make most of both the sides of argument. eg if the topic is something like "books : fiction and realistic : which is better? " try to make points from both the perspective. This really helps.

As far as argument essays are considered , you need practise as we are not qutie familiar with this type of exercise. Hence go through the topics given on the GRE website, ponder over it and then make notes.

Best practise is sharing your essays with someone else who you think can judge you well. And evaluating other people's essays. This really really helps. IT helped me in fact.

MS (Comp Engg)
University of Florida ( Gainesville)
04-03-2006 06:07 PM
hiten Offline
Edulix Frequent User

hiten Offline
Edulix Frequent User

good luck for ur exam
yes practice ....practice ...& practice is the only key to score good in gre.

but one should have a proper statergies and proper sequence to follow books and software.
best regards,
hiten
04-15-2006 12:18 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread