Edulix Distinguished Contributor

MR Offline

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
TOEFL -iBT Consolidated Info.
Hi all,

It'll be great if we can keep a single thread for all the TOEFL-IBT related queries/suggestions...i mean it would be convenient for people who are asking questions as well as for those who are replying to them too..currently there are 4-5 different threads on this forum where almost similar doubts are raised..

Well, i have drafted some of the key points which I am aware of in a Q & A format,hope it helps..
(Courtsey : TOEFL website + inputs from colleagues)

Q : Difference between TOEFL- iBT and CBT?

The old pattern of TOEFL(CBT) has been phased out in Mumbai since June'06. When i was looking for dates in June mid, I could not get any dates after 24th June'06 for CBT. From July onwards, the new TOEFL pattern (IBT) would be available.

Some of the highlights of IBT are --

The new version of the TOEFL will be available via the Internet only. ETS uses iBT (Internet-based testing) which means you will be able to take the TOEFL at any of the online test centers. Another change is that the test questions are now more focused on academic topics.
For example, the reading passages will be more academic to better reflect college reading assignments. In the new TOEFL will have access to a glossary.

Also, there is no structure section anymore, this means that your grammar will be tested throughout the test within various contexts rather than in a 'stand-alone' test.

Furthermore, you will have to compose two essays in the writing section instead of one. For your first essay you will have 30 minutes and for the second one 20 minutes.

Speaking: The new TOEFL test also measures your speaking ability. There are 6 questions you have to answer by talking into a microphone.

For more detailed information, you can log on to http://toefl.org and download the latest brocheure for IBT.

Q : The New Test Format

Test Section Number of Questions Timing

Reading 35 passages, 1214 ques each 60100 mins

Listening 46 lectures, 6 questions each 6090 mins
23 conversations, 5 questions each

BREAK 10 minutes

Speaking 6 tasks: 2 independent 20 minutes
and 4 integrated

Writing 1 integrated task 20 minutes
1 independent task 30 minutes

Q : Availability of test dates?

Since this test is still in its initial phase in India,the dates are available on selected days only.But they are continously increasing the no. of centers. So it'll be good if you keep on checking the website regularly for the new available dates and centers.

Q : Can i still take CBT?

No. Now we don't have a choice b/w CBT and IBT. We would have to take IBT only Smile

Q : Once u book for toefl do u get any study material from ETS?

Earlier, for TOEFL CBT - POWERPREP was sent by ETS.

For TOEFL IBT - No.
Practice tests are available at TOEFL Practice Online at http://www.ets.org/toefl practice.
You have to register on this site and there is a full length test available for practice which is valid for some limited period of time. As in, you have to complete that test before it expires.You might face certain technical difficulties while taking this test like downloading some part of the test due to codec mismatch etc. You can write abt the same to the TOEFL technical help desk. They are pretty prompt in replying back.

Q : Study Material:

1)The new edition of the KAPLAN book is available now on the book stores..It also has a cd which has 4 full length practice tests for IBT pattern...

2)Refer to the old TOEFL tests for practising other sections.

Q: What happens to scores from previous tests?

ETS will report previous scores for two years after the original test date.

Q :Will institutions still accept previous scores?

Requirements vary from institution to institution. Please check with your prospective institutions or agencies to determine their specific requirements.

Q :Will TOEFL iBT take the place of the Test of Spoken English (TSE)?

Yes. Because the TOEFL iBT test includes a Speaking section, institutions and agencies will no longer need to require TSE scores as a separate requirement. The TSE will be discontinued once the TOEFL iBT test is available worldwide.

Q :Scoring in TOEFL iBT?

Since the TOEFL test is changing significantly, the score scale is also changing. Scores from the TOEFL
iBT test provide information about performance in the four skill areas:
Listening 030
Reading 030
Speaking 030
Writing 030
Total Score 0120
The total score is the sum of the four skill scores.

Q: Score comparison [CBT & iBT]?
iBT CBT
------ ------
120 ---> 300
120 ---> 297
119 ---> 293
118 ---> 290
117 ---> 287
116 ---> 283
114-115 ---> 280
113 ---> 277
111-112 ---> 273
110 ---> 270
109 ---> 267
106-108 ---> 283
105 ---> 260
103-104 ---> 257
101-102 ---> 253
100 ---> 250
........ .......
(Please refer iBT brochure on TOEFL website for the complete score comparison sheet)

Tips from fellow edulixians

By under-graduate

http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=26867
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=27503

By Jitu

Quote:If of you are able to get hold of Dean Papajohn book for the preparation of TSE I think that will be the best.

or you can also try and download this book.

American Accent Training
A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English As a Second Language
[url]http://rapidshare.de/files/7658789/American_Accent_Training.rar.html
[/url]

its a 1.9 mb file. so no problem in just trying it out.

Hope all of this was of some help to all of you. It'll be great if ppl add on to this.

The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you !!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2006 06:20 PM by MR.)
07-28-2006 02:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uNhOLy vIrTuOsItY Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Edulix Senior Member

ya this is really good, this wud clear almost all the doubts in the minds of most people..
07-28-2006 10:23 AM
AmoghG Offline
Edulix Senior Member

AmoghG Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Thanks Mridvika! Much appreciated!! Very Happy

�Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?�
07-28-2006 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
MR Offline

MR Offline

@ Gaurav,

All such queries would be useful to many others, that's why iam posting the answer on this thread..

Quote:I was mugging up all the 185 essays for the cbt till this evening ,

Rolling Eyes well no need to do that..essays aren't repeated all the time. U can always get an idea of how u shud write one!!

Quote:my entire hardwork of over a month has one down the drain. I'll be really grateful for your timely response.

Hardwork never goes waste..it'll be useful to you if you have read the sample essays..

Now, regarding Writing Section in IBT -

The Writing Section of TOEFL iBT includes two sections.

Section 1 - Integrated Task. U will read a passage + hear a lecture/converstaion and then give ur opnion on the same/summarize the two.
Time limit = 20 mins.

Section 2 - Independent task. U will be asked to write an essay, which can be argumentative, descriptive, personal experience,compare/contrast etc etc.(CBT used to have only Section 2 type of essays earlier).
Time Limit = 30 mins.

Hope it helps. It'll be really appreciated if all the questions/doubts regarding TOEFL iBT are kept in one single thread.

The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you !!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2006 06:21 PM by MR.)
07-30-2006 02:21 AM
MR Offline

MR Offline

Another update --

Duration of TOEFL iBT = 4.5 Hours(including the Check in time) which is 1 hour more than earlier pattern (i.e TOEFL CBT)

07-30-2006 02:38 AM
pranky83 Offline
New Edulixian

pranky83 Offline
New Edulixian

Thanks soooooo much mridvika.... Very Happy giving a sigh of relief after reading this...

Pratap
07-30-2006 09:30 PM
aetos Offline
Edulix Frequent User

aetos Offline
Edulix Frequent User

When to give TOEFL..?
Hello there...

I m taking GRE 0n the 20th of Sep...

Any suggestions when is the latest i can plan my TOEFL IBT...?
08-04-2006 08:25 AM
MR Offline

MR Offline

Well, first u'll have to check the dates available after Sept 20th. because TOEFL iBT is not available on all the dates. Plan to take it by oct. first/second week as it'll take another 2 weeks for ur score reports to come before you can apply.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2006 06:22 PM by MR.)
08-04-2006 11:43 AM
MR Offline

MR Offline

Experience of TOEFL - iBT
Some tips as per my experience of TOEFL iBT --

[1]Reach the test center atleast 45 mins before the reporting time. My test was scheduled at 4 PM and the reporting time was 3.30 PM. So reaching say by 2.45-3.00 would be good. You have to fill up confidentiality agreement form and brief instruction session for 5-10 mins is conducted by the prometric ppl. You are allowed in the exam room on first come first serve basis. So it makes sense to be early and grab a seat !!! Actually it doesn't make much difference, but it might help you when you reach the Speaking section. You'll be among the first few people who would start answering. Laughing

[2]Things to carry with you -
Confirmation ticket print out - to confirm ur presence for the test.[It is not required, once you have made an entry in the attendance register]
Carry your primary identification - Your passport.
Secondary identification proof(It is a must !!!) - PAN card, Driving License or a similar document with your signed photograph.
Remember Employee ids/credit cards are not acceptable.
A dude was not allowed to take the test as he did not carry the sufficient docs.

[3]Things NOT to carry - Rough sheets/stationary,Water bottle,Cell phones.You wouldn't be allowed anything inside. Not even your wallet and watch!!!You would be alloted a Locker, where you'll have to keep all your belongings.Rough sheets and pencils are provided at the test center itself.

[4]Your snap is clicked which appears on your PC screen before you begin the test.

[5]Reading section - RC is easier as compared to GRE. There are 3 reading passages, each 20 mins.Each RC has approx. 13-14 questions.The last question in all the three passages is the trickiest of all. It is to select the best inferences from the given passage.It is worth 2 points.Plan your time in such a way that u have atleast 4-5 mins to answer this last question.

[6]Listening section - Isn't difficult at all. All you have to do is concentrate and take some notes here and there. Don't get distracted with noises of people who have already started their speaking section. [This is where reaching early could have been of help Wink ] So listening section has some 6 -8 odd tasks. Few conversations(mostly among university students who discuss their problems on campus etc and few lectures on various academic topics like biology, eco. etc followed by some questions on these discussions. This section is easily manageable.

[7] There is a 10 min. mandatory break after the two sections. You will have to leave your place and go out. [You can eat something if you have got something from home.Its a 4 hour long test after all !!]Remember, you are not supposed to touch your mobiles during this break.

[8]Speaking Section - It has 6 tasks.

Task 1 and 2 - You are required to speak about some familiar topics.
prep time - 15 sec ; response time 45 sec.

Task 3 - Read a passage + hear a conversation then Summarise.
Read passage - 45 sec ; prep time - 30sec ; response time - 60 secs

Task 4 - Read a passage + hear a conv. then give ur opnion.
Read passage - 45 sec ; prep time - 30sec ; response time - 60 secs

Task 5 - Hear a conversation between two people then summarise their discussion + give ur opinion.
prep time - 20sec ; response time - 60 secs

Task 6 - Hear a lecture and then summarise
prep time - 20sec ; response time - 60 secs

SPEAKING SECTION isn't difficult if you know how to respond in the given time frame.

Sincere Advise -- KAPLAN's latest book on TOEFL iBT comes with practice cd, which has 4 practise tests. Trust me it is worth going through that !! It'll give u a hang of the entire speaking pattern.It has similar timed conditions and almost similar question pattern.

[9]Writing Section

Task 1 [20 mins] - Read a passage ( 3mins) + Hear a leacture(which usually represents the contrasting view point in comparison to the passage u have just read).
Your job - Summarise the two. Remember - You don't have to give your OPINION in this section !!
[min - 150 words]

Task 2 [30 mins] - Agree/disagree on a familiar topic.
[min - 300 words]

Keep a buffer of 5 mins in both the essays, so as to revise what u have written. You come across many typo. mistakes.

[10] After a 4 hour struggle..you are finally through!!

[P.S - Don't wait for the range of your scores to pop up. I waited for 4-5 mins. Embarassed When nothing showed up, I knew its time to go out. Your scores will be sent to you after 15 days. You will be able to view them online on your TOEFL account.]

Hope any of this helps.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2006 06:22 PM by MR.)
08-05-2006 02:17 AM
AmoghG Offline
Edulix Senior Member

AmoghG Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Thanks a lot Mridvika!! Muchos gracias! Wink

�Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?�
08-05-2006 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uttara Offline
New Edulixian

uttara Offline
New Edulixian

hey mridvika...
i jus registered for toefl ibt for 26th of aug....
jus wanted to knw...do we hve to give the university names while registering or after the xam????
08-07-2006 08:49 PM
Edulix Senior Member

Edulix Senior Member

since for registration of toefl-ibt, you are reqd to creat an online accnt on their website, you could keep modifying the list specified in your accnt until the day before the exam..
08-07-2006 08:53 PM
MR Offline

MR Offline

hi,
While registering, you must have made an account on TOEFL website. On the homepage of that website, there are 2 categories of links -
1)My Profile - you can update ur personal profile, ur contact info,change ur password etc etc.

2)My tests - Here you have a link with the name "VIEW ORDER" . Follow this link and it'll take u to a page which has ur order info.(i.e details of ur registration). Click on the link of ur order no. which would direct u to the page, where u can go and update the recepients of ur TOEFL - iBT scores.(4 FREE). Please check the department and institutional codes on the university websites before u select the recepients. You can update this info. until 10 PM( a day before ur test.)

Hope it helps.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2006 06:23 PM by MR.)
08-07-2006 09:36 PM
GaneshDas Offline
Edulix Active Member

GaneshDas Offline
Edulix Active Member

Wonderful Thread - only, I would ask for some more people to contribute

Hark! peals from the shrine
wherefrom we arose,
that eternal rose
truly is mine
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/409414101_1f9daec302.jpg[/img]
08-07-2006 10:27 PM
coolabhi Offline
Edulix Active Member

coolabhi Offline
Edulix Active Member

my experience @ iBT
hi,
gave my TOEFL iBTtoday...went pretty well(hopefully)....
if you hv given GRE then i don't think you need to study anything...
I just practised from CBT cd and thats it 8) ....

well here is my advice:
reach early...be prepared to concentrate for 4 hrs coz concentration is only thing u need....hv a gud night sleep

Section 1: reading comprehension....the passages were easy but very long....i completed the section early and this helped me later...i reached to speaking section first and there was no disturbance at that time...others reached speaking section at more or less same time and the whole room had become mess at that time coz 2 ppl were shouting at top of their voice...it was distracting and although i had headphones still it was disturbing...but at that point of time i was comfortably writing my essays...had i been in speaking section, i think i wud hv been greatly disturbed......

Section 2:Listening:
this section is most crucial in terms of making notes....u don't hv time to write down everything but writing the main points helps tremendously...
one of my listening was description of four types of building..at the end of lecture nyone wud surely forget that which feature belonged to which type unless u note the main points....so keep noting the main points....rest all is easy...........

Section 3:Speaking:
this section was one i was most worried about....but at the end of paper i think i performed really well.....again making notes is really crucial in speaking after listening a lecture or conversation...
the strategy i adopted was that while lecturer was speaking i noted the main points.....in 15 sec provided i just selected which points i'll include to speak....if u listen to lecture and try to recall what to speak and note that down in 15 sec then u'll run out of time...i had a very tough passage and then some lecturer had gave a speech on it opposing the same..it was related to some marine life and was really tough...but thnx to my notes i was able to handle it....also keep in mind the time...don't fall short and try to finish in time......
the message "Now Stop Speaking" at end of time was particularly annoying to me...it was like if some one was saying to me shut up...enough of ur bakar...... Twisted Evil
the 1st two questions were also good ones(as u hv only 15 secs for preparing what to speak)....my 2nd question was what was ur biggest challenge of life and how did u handle it(Now don't report to ets for that!!!)
for first 10 sec i went blank.....what to speak?? then somehow i got a grt topic...i said that my biggest challenge was to adjust into new surroundings of coll as it was away from home 1st time......food...language problem.....away from family friends...then i tried to adapt...tried to learn local lang....tried to blend with ppl...blah...blah....somehow got saved....or else my whole 4.5 hrs effort + 150$ wud hv gone down the drain...so keep ur mind active and don't panic......

Section 4:Writing:
if u hv given GRE then u don't need any special practise....u hv enough time,....

also 1 point that has been mentioned before many times, i wud like to mention again...it was really cold in the xam room coz of AC and i was really shivering....and its really annoying when u want to listen or take notes...so dress keeping above in mind....

well pray for me tht i get a good score and good univ and then good aid and then good job and then a cool life in US Wink
and spelling + grammar mistakes kindly ignore...
08-27-2006 01:34 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread