EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.
Skype Guidance Session 5th Feb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[OT] - Why leave India? - Pls ans by Jan 2
ammasservant Offline
Edulix Invited Guest
Edulix Invited Guest

ammasservant Offline
Edulix Invited Guest
Edulix Invited Guest

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
[OT] - Why leave India? - Pls ans by Jan 2
Since I am anyway monitoring this forum for a few more days during the Christmas break, I thought I would ask this question. Sorry, it is not as much of a fun topic like the "Visionary Thoughts" or "Best Avatar". I guess I am getting old.

This question may sound a little hypocritical coming from me but opportunity in the 80s is very different than now (or at least it seems like it). Besides, there is a reason I am still not a U.S. Citizen even after having been here 20+ years Very Happy.

OK here goes:

Assume that I have the ability to change parts of management higher education in India as well as influence many of the MNCs/IT Service providers (there is a lot of truth to both these statements).

Please answer before Jan. 2nd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the 3 key reasons you are leaving India?

What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system will potentially cause you to stay in India?

What 3 changes at your workplace will potentially cause you to stay in India?

What are the 3 things you expect to gain by going abroad?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.: Please be honest in your responses.

P.P.S.: You can answer this question without any fear of likely persecution at my host institution. This is the researcher in me asking the questions.
12-27-2006 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post
utham Offline
Edulix Senior Member

utham Offline
Edulix Senior Member

@Ammaservant

A very very interesting thread started..Awesome Smile ...Really its thought provoking but here are my honest reasons

-> Reason1: The aspect of one learning from the interaction wit a lot of people from diverse backgrounds gives any individual a platform to learn a lot from them..

-> Reason2: The Chances of one settling down to lead a comfortable life there is much brighter than an individual here. As in the ability of one to save is sure higher there.

-> Reason3: A chance to experience a new life other than your own country to help you learn new things abt new culture and have respect for your own.

What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system will potentially cause you to stay in India?

-> Reason1: The requirement of more professional lecturers is a must. I have hardly learnt from them coz they have never taught and even if they did it would be reading from the text book..Most of them are like that every univ..

-> Reason2: The whole educational system in most univ has to be changed. Things work on ur performance on one particular day. There s no value given for the work u put in thru out the sem. There should defi be more research at many univ.

-> Reason3: Bring in more diversity to any univ as in ppl from other countries to come and study at a univ..will surely help many ppl..

Well i have loads here but il limit it to 3

-> Reason1: Loads and loads of people here think CLIENTS are GOD or whatever. They literally work over time make ppl work over time which im sure many companies there will not do..This might be outsourcing..
but we are no slaves..We too have a life to lead other than sit and work hours together in front of the computer..

In my terms its "MODERN SLAVERY"..

-> Reason2: There is absolutely no respect in many corporate workplaces as their is no respect given to other individuals..Lots of I.T guys dont have something called as Patience..They have an air in them that they cannot be touched..Im an IT guy too so i speak with innumerable number of experiences..

-> Reason3: Not only pay employees for what they deserve but also give out a "HELPING HAND to the NEEDY"..I have tried so much without any success..Im not giving up there will pursue this and achieve this someday..It has to be the I.T revolution in the villages, to the poor, etc to make INDIA a better place.

Short and sweet

-> Gain Knowledge and love for the work i wanna do.

-> Reach a position at a early stage in life where i can dictate too hehehe... Smile

-> Well 3rd one is a secret will achieve this ambition one day and then speak abt it..I wanna do it in a big way if im not il atleast do it in a small way atleast b4 i say peace

Thanks
Utham
12-27-2006 11:54 PM
pun500 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pun500 Offline
Edulix Active Member

-> Reason1: Open new /broaden horizons

-> Reason2: more money at faster rate early in life Arrow better prospects

-> Reason3: well this is personal to me lack of quality grad education vry few good mba colleges (iims,bajaj,sibm) tried my hand last yr wasnt good enough at gds @ iims Sad not a case of sour grapes though just too much competition n less no of seats

-> Reason1:
Quote:The requirement of more professional lecturers is a must. I have hardly learnt from them coz they have never taught and even if they did it would be reading from the text book..Most of them are like that every univ
.....i second that

-> Reason2:
Quote:The whole educational system in most univ has to be changed. Things work on ur performance on one particular day. There s no value given for the work u put in thru out the sem.
I tend to disagree here i prefer the all or nothing game prepares u for stress ie doesnt matter how many runs u get at nets u got to play in the big match just hate the fact that quality instis r very less in no n curriculum is little outdated n research , yes is sadly not encouraged

-> Reason3: better infrastucture n removal of 'chalta hai' attitude

not too much experience here just strd abt 7 months back

-> Reason1: job profiles are not tht gr8 to start with u get slotted as tester / db manager etc which may or may not suit ur ability inspite of u hving excelled in a diff field

-> Reason2: Pay scale not up too the mark for the amount n quality of wrk extracted n also with international stds but i guess thts the use of outsourcing 4 thm Smile

-> Reason3: Office politics ie crab mentality which rewards one by punishing other not good 4 team building both employees and employers r to be blame for this

1--valuable experience with diff ppl

2--international exposure

3--will test our ability to survive akin to batting on grassy tracks in SA rather than flat tracks in India Very Happy

4--obviously climb up the corporate ladder faster ie jump over rungs

--
12-28-2006 01:00 AM
brianss100 Offline
Edulix Active Member

brianss100 Offline
Edulix Active Member

1. enviable education standard overseas.

2. absence of a similar well defined IT mgmt course here.

3.stuff a bank account or two and get back home and invest smartly.

1.education must be made knowledge based and not remain meritocratic or mere rote.

2.absence of healthy competition has led to a virtual monopoly of quality higher educational instituions resulting in increased competition among aspirants where a blink of an eye may send you packing home. seats must be increased so that more aspirants can be accomodated in such institutes

3. dire need of setting up quality institutes offering diverse courses with more research and enhanced industrial interface

1.the workplace must be made mine.

2.work place must have people i want to work with.

3.the work place must develop into a residual source of income i.e., i should have created such a setting that i make a respectable amount out of the business irrespective of the vagaries of the market , my moood swings or my further investment plans.

What are the 3 things you expect to gain by going abroad

degree, money aur sundar biwi

i have lived abroad for 18 years...am born and brought up in the gulf...i am perfectly aware life is a struggle every inch out there and have no false notions what so ever.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2006 01:14 AM by brianss100.)
12-28-2006 01:00 AM
pun500 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pun500 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Quote:degree, money and sundar biwi

add tht to my list too
12-28-2006 01:03 AM
THE RAINMAKER Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

THE RAINMAKER Offline

Thank you AMS for the variety. After the fun [OT] topics, now a thought provoking one that calls for introspection.

While I agree that a lot has changed since the 80s, what still remains is the control of technology to be transferred to India. In the telecom segment of Enterprise Communication systems, I find most clients happy to offer the best IT infrastructure by placing gateways in India. The server and the root password, however, still remain in the US.

Quote:What are the 3 key reasons you are leaving India?
1) To learn in an environment that is at the forefront of technology
2) For an opportunity to interact with and learn from people having diverse backgrounds
3) To understand the work culture of the country that drives the technology and business of the world

Quote:What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system will potentially cause you to stay in India?
1) Guest lectures by faculty from the industry
2) Professors with awareness of the latest development in their respective fields
3) Greater number of highly rated PG universities.
Quote:What 3 changes at your workplace will potentially cause you to stay in India?
1) Being in a team that consists of diverse professionals w.r.t experience, core specialization, nationality and age
2) Increased transfer of knowledge from the parent company in the US
3) An opportunity to learn management skills (though I would never look at doing a part time course)

Quote:What are the 3 things you expect to gain by going abroad?
1) The experience of studying at a university that contributes actively to the technological developments and learn from professors well aware of the latest trends in their respective fields
2) Study with peers from diverse backgrounds and get an opportunity to understand their cultures and develop a global perspective
3) Finding myself in a completely new country and facing the challenges of the rigorous course and a change in lifestyle will initially be the biggest test of my adaptability and consequently, a big boost to my confidence and I look forward to it

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination
12-28-2006 01:07 AM
SuperHumanAmit Offline
Edulix Active Member

SuperHumanAmit Offline
Edulix Active Member

Re: [OT] - Why leave India? - Pls ans by Jan 2
Greetings AMS!

My two cents

Quote:What are the 3 key reasons you are leaving India?

1. Better educational system in the US
2. Grow as a person, search my identity (since US has more options available)
3. Career growth

Quote:What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system will potentially cause you to stay in India?

1. Recognition of postgraduate education (No one in India will ever do a masters in Information Systems. I really do not think anything of this sort is available. Only a few institutes (ex. IIT etc.) offer any sort of MSc)
2. Educational System
3. The standard of education

Quote:What 3 changes at your workplace will potentially cause you to stay in India?

1. Less Hypocrisy...Less Politics
2. Less Support Projects
3. More Research

Quote:What are the 3 things you expect to gain by going abroad?

1. A "set" vision of my future
2. A less confused state of mind
3. More capital

Is something wrong, she said!
of course, there is.
you are still alive, she said!
is that the question?
and if so, if so...
who answers, who answers!!

http://www.edulix.com/infobank/show_prof...p?uid=2315
12-28-2006 01:26 AM
ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

-> Wrong reason #1 (not the usual ones)
-> Wrong reason #2 (not the usual ones)
-> I desperately needed the money - they were offering me pretty good stipends/fellowships.

(Now that I am here for 2.5 years, the next few answers will be far more informed ones)

What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system would have potentially cause you to stay in India?
-> A respect for the national degree that is usually commanded by foreign degrees, both in the professional as well as the social context.
-> Quality of grad student life (stipends, flexibility, dignitiy) - here we live life king size while being grad students - it should not be a continuation of the undergraduate mold. Moreoever, mature, colleague-like treatment from the professor's side at this stage is healthy, I believe.
-> Peer group - this is somewhat of a chicken-and-egg problem Smile - if point 1 and 2 is achieved, this will automatically improve
None at all!
Reason: I intend to come back to India. I don't think work life in the US is all that good - it leads to social isolation, in my opinion. On the other hand, student life is great fun because you are usually surrounded by people of your kind, type, etc.

(Ok, this could be treated as the first question itself, but now I try to answer it as someone who is already in the US and knows what it's like)
-> Money
-> A broader, more logical, mind, with a lot better perspective of things than I used to possess.
-> Weight
12-28-2006 02:08 AM
micks Offline
Edulix Active Member

micks Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thanks a lot for raising this topic and these issues

Ask me, I would say "Who wants to leave India?"
But is India giving us those oppurtunities which we really need? If it had, no. of people leaving the country would be surely much less.

I agree we have really good institutions like IITs and IIMs, but its so ery competitive to get in there. I agree that the name and reputation these institutions have is just awesome and its mainly because the top students all over India study here. I am sure everyone giving that IIT-JEE,GATE and CAT and more would have dreamt of getting in there to the top schools, but not everybody can.

As it was raised above: Its only one day performance that comes into picture to crack these institutions.

I would say increase the no. of such institutions that give you this deep exposure to various research fields, are updated with the latest technologies. Lets talk about the Internet speeds. If it had been the same way as it is in the US, distance education would have been chosen.

"Research work" is of so much importance everywhere. I dont know if undergrads in the US do research work or no. But in India, being specific to my UG university(MU), a student except for the ones applying to MS wouldnt even know what "Research" work actually is. May be even I do not have a clear picture still, I am not too sure of the work I would be doing if at all I get selected as a RA under some profs.

The main points are:
1) Less/very less exposure here.
2) Terrible competition to get thru the those top institutions.
3) Training and guidance is of utmost importance(QUALITY education) why not have good(having strong foundations) teachers to teach us.

Take a case of MU, a person who just passes his BE can start teaching immediately. Ask us, the MU fellows how do we study during our BE. Exam time pressures and terrible way of setting papers(many threads here speak this). I know a few can be really good and regular students, but most of them get placed in big MNCs paying them some good money for the "donkey work". So they get grabbed there. The lot which doesnt get placed, cuz the teaching job pays them good money they just go for it. Please no offense. I am talking in general terms. Some of them may make good teachers, but most dont.

What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system would have potentially cause you to stay in India?

Whatever points have been raised above, consider them. Provide solutions for them, I know its not a cake walk. Building more institions which provide quality education, or getting in GOOD teachers is not an easy talk. May take years to happen. Building research labs needs funds, I dont know how would this be managed? I do not know how would it work, but IF IT gets working India would rock. I would love to see that day even if I am 60 when i see it Smile ( Btw I am 22 right now Wink )

1) Give me the same exposure(updated technologies, research exp, etc) in India.
2)Upgrade quality of education.
3) I see someone raising a point of timely monitering of students performance and not the last day performance only. I totally agree to him. I even saw someone saying no it is right this way, one can learn to operate under stress. I ask him are the studies not much to stress you. You said this, may be cuz you are the one who study ONLY at the end moment(in the study leave you know) and HENCE you get stressed and ur stress testing takes place. If one is a regular student, he wudnt get stressed out much. So I believe in regular assessment, rather than just those Final paper assessment, where most of the guys who can scan a book and remember manage to score well. Again exceptions do exist.

Not much of workex, just 4-5 months and that too not an IT company...working at IIT B. Very frankly, am logged on to Orkut and Edulix from work. So I cant comment much on worktype and all, hardly any work u know Sad Just to add a little from what I observed from ppl working at proper IT companies.

1) Fresher ki koi value he nahi hai(Freshers are not valued), donkey work karate hai. I wouldnt wanna name companies here. But they grab at some position and you would be doing something else, or soemthing that doesnt give you learning oppurtunities at all. I think guys with better work ex can comment more on this(calling juggernauvatsan)

2) Office politics must agree, but then I have heard from ppl working in the US too about this. One solution to this is, you should be smart enough to get you way out Smile

3) I hate NIGHT SHIFTS. You know once I was telling my mom. If possible I would start a company, slowly make it worldwide. Recruit US fellows, UK fellows and work them for INDIAN timing, be it any shift for them. INDIANS are treated as knowledgeable slaves. Damn Sad

1) May be something I dont know of as of now, I need that exposure man. Meeting profs doing core research in a particular area, work under them. Have a graduate advisor to assist you with the couses that would help you specilize with something particular, show the scope of the course. All this things, if work well, can change you life a lot. Education life would be much much better in short.

2) After I finish my MS, if these Indian companies are gonna make me work for 12-14 hrs a day and pay me some Rs YY thousand/month. Why not I work there for a fixed amount of time, may be more as per the project deadlines and everything. But if i am getting paid something much better than in India then why not work there for a few years and make life a little smooth for the later years? you get the point? All indians would agree.

3) Well nothing much

One more thing from my side:

What would you loose/miss leaving India?

- Would miss my country
- Would miss being with my family(sounds mushy now, ask the fellows who are in the US at some home away from home)

i still repeat.....who really wants to leave the country, India ??

PS: If i did speak something that someone did not like, no offense guys. Its just my view.

"How can you stand it? to not know what you want? to let someone else decide for you?" ~Howard Roark to Peter Keating
12-28-2006 03:37 AM
MR Offline

MR Offline

@Ammasservant,

Thanks for giving us yet another task, which would help us tickle our grey cells a bit. Here are my answers to your questions -

Q1 : What are the 3 key reasons you are leaving India?
Ans :
This answer could be a combination of many factors which are somewhat based on the push-pull theory we might have studied in our 9th std. economics books. Factors which push me OUT from my own land and Factors which pull me TOWARDS uncle sams land ! Three of them are --

1)unawareness & unavailability of new options in higher education in India - E.g. MIS is not really talked abt options in India. Infact people here still have a notion that people who cannot really compete with CS students and cannot afford MBA abroad land up doing MIS, which is so very wrong !! I am sure all of us have our own set of justified reasons to have chosen this field. [PUSH factor]

2)Better economic prospects and prestige of foreign training[PULL factor]

3)Better working condition and better employment opportunities[PULL factor]
...(only 3 hv been asked)

Q2 : What 3 changes in the postgraduate education system will potentially cause you to stay in India?
Ans :

1)Increase the awareness about numerous fields and career options which a student can pursue to grow in his career path. Flexibility to customize the course structure to suit individuals interests.

2)In order to provide better educational facilities as stated above, we need an improved infrastructure, trained and qualified faculty

3)Say NO to reservations !! Recognise talent than playing with future of several deserving candidates. Less of political interference in Educational system, leave the work of devising policies and rules in education system to the qualified professors, readers or people who have their roots in the system.

Reservations - One of the main reasons to further fuel the already existing Brain Drain in India.

Q3 : What 3 changes at your workplace will potentially cause you to stay in India?
Ans :

1)Reduction in the office politics which is creeping in like termite with every passing day. Person A happens to be of the same cast as that of Project manager and hence becomes elgible for the long term onsite trip(this is just an example of favoritsm, there can be many other incentives) where as Person B who inspite of being capable and more deserving sits back taking orders and getting frustrated. This indirectly results in reduced efficiency of person B.

2)Improved workprofile - A person who thinks that he is capable of doing something more worthwhile than doing some mechanical set of tasks instructed to him would definitely look for Job Satisfaction.

3)Improved scientific tradition and culture.

Q4 : What are the 3 things you expect to gain by going abroad?
Ans :

1)Exposure at Global Level, Interaction with students from diversified background.

2)Better Quality of Education & intellectual freedom

3) Def. cannot ignore this - more moolah !

The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you !!
12-28-2006 04:29 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2

1. no infrastrusture for research

2. too much IT and nothing of anything else

3. too much of herd mentality prevalent, i.e. if somebodys uncles, sisters. brothers son is an it engineer and getting married at the age of 22 so should you

1. increased funding at university level

2. increased impetus to science education which includes more funding for fundamental research aimed at developing individual creativity

3. closure of science dinosaurs like CSIR, DOE, CAT, CERI which have done nothing but eat up precious funds for the last fifty years with no result!! scientific R&D and indigenous product development at university level should be encouraged

1. again herd mentality should be done away with and an individual should be allowed to think creatively

2. current corporate structure in india is feudal to say the least!! there is a compelete ack of tranparency!! the in-office backbitting and politics is driving many bright young minds to nervous breakdowns

3. finally indian MNCs must come up!! there is no point staying india and doing backend stuff for american companies!!

1. recognize my individual self

2. nurture my talents and grow as an individual

3. i belive humanity transcends all political barriers and boundries!! relevant R&D done wherever is benefitial to mankind as a whole

12-28-2006 06:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post
The Longhorn Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

The Longhorn Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

I'm speaking as someone who has already left India for higher studies: but I guess I can answer these questions anyway

1. The value a PhD degree from an IIT carries is not as much as one from the foreign universities. If I am to invest 5 prime years of my life, I better get something worth it.

2. Lure of the foreign shores, or simply put, the desire to expand horizons and see the world for myself.

3. The peer group, or rather the entire environment in total. Ritendra already touched upon this one so I needn't elaborate.

1. Increased funding and support, which roughly translates into more freedom to do research on topics that I am interested with more industry interaction.

2. I've seen the basic infrastructure missing in some IITs that I've visited. Unplanned dorms, mosquito-infested hostels and disgusting food: unless the right infrastructure is provided, with chances of overall development and something that makes life easy and happy beyond the labs and classrooms --- that sure will help.

3. More faculty working on the same areas. It doesn't help to know that the primary job of a professor is to teach and not to do research.

4. Doing away with reservations. I felt like a second-rate citizen in my own country when the reservations were at 27%, and if some day I decide to settle down in the US or someplace else, this will surely be one of the driving factors. I don't want my children to repent that they were born into a family and had to stick with my surname for life.

I have worked in India for a couple of years before coming for my studies, and I don't think I have too much to complain about. However, these would be helpful:

1. Reinforcement of the 9 to 5 working routine, and developers/professionals should be made aware of the fact that they too deserve to go out and have a life of their own. Some people tend to become sick workaholics: we need counsellors to see them against it --- the management should plan accordingly.

2. Development of R&D wings of small companies, or even setting up of R&D centres by the big corporates in India. For people like me who want to go back to the industry after my education, these are the places which fire my imagination.

3. Less red-tapism from the government, or at least at their offices, if possible. This is unrelated to the current sub-topic, perhaps, but I think this is one of the things that fits in the discussion here.

1. Money!

2. Exposure and widened horizons: to meet different people from across cultures, to see the world!

3. Insight into the formula behind the success of these nations --- how did they manage to stand at a place where they now stand? How did they build such universities, such infrastructure and how do they manage to move forward so efficiently?

12-28-2006 07:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post
Last_resort Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Last_resort Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Re: [OT] - Why leave India? - Pls ans by Jan 2
ammasservant Wrote:Since I am anyway monitoring this forum for a few more days during the Christmas break, I thought I would ask this question. Sorry, it is not as much of a fun topic like the "Visionary Thoughts" or "Best Avatar". I guess I am getting old.

there shud be exceptions always and these threads wil surely make us think........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Quality Of education in US is top notch , with the best of facultys , lots of potential in research , recognition of ur work .
2) It is easier for you to study in a very good university in the US but in india its difficult to study in a good university itself. ( ALl u need to study in US s money)
3) tis might be a lil dumb... anyways , i always want to lead an independent life and i am very crazy of adventurous sports(bungee jumping , para sailing, etc) . and would love to visit Disney WOrld...

1) in India , most of the colleges recruit faculty who has jus finished their B.E. ... there shud be some requirements before recruitin such as post graduate degree or industrial experience. They shud also do their communication in English and not Regional languages...
2) Funding for education shud be dere... Govt shud invest a lot of money in tis. Wy do u think US needs Indian students , cos dey know how smart and sharp we are. dey re ready to invest on us.
3) question paper which dey set shud be more application oriented tan a book oriented. many students jus mug up the book and come and reproduce the answers. whats the point evaluating , wen u re judgin a person wrongly. wat s he/she goin to do at work or industry.
4) Reservation shud be abolished. when you know dere s someone better than tat person and still u deny tat person from studyin in tat univ mainly on te basis caste.Man , tis reservation system s dere rt from school.

i dont think i can answer tis , i ve know clue in tis regard......

1) obvious reason s a MS degree
2) Interact wit people of various backgrounds
3) Money Laughing Laughing
------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world
12-28-2006 08:42 AM
niru123 Offline
Edulix Active Member

niru123 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hello AMS...
hope there is some sense in my answers

What are the 3 key reasons you are leaving India? 1)1)Oppurtunity...thats the main reason in my opinion. you rarely get the oppurtunity to do what you really want and even worse you never get an oppurtunity to know what you want!!
2)An exposure to the global arena..our country is yet to provide that kind of scenario.
3) though this might sound very unprofessional i am sure this is one of the motives...the prestige attached with going abroad!! a decade ago it was a pride on your part as you would be the first one in your family to cross the sea to another world.

1)The quality of the program and the people who run it should be very high..
2) the means of getting into the program should be competitve...
3)The system should foster "RESEARCH" which is top most important thing in my opinion. Because it is only through research that real learning takes place

I am not sure about this since i haven't worked before...but one thing is certain...the way people are taken into jobs is ridiculous..in 100's..thats what happened when i got placed...

1) I expect to have the pleasure of doing what i want professionaly and doing it with uniqueness and commitment.
2)I hope to further my bond with India becoz only there you realize the the much unknown richness and greatness of your country.
3) i expect to gain a lot of weight..owing to the rich dairy Razz

As always AMS has made us put on our thinking caps!!! Thank a lot Sir.

Nirmala

"Man is a heroic being, with his happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute" -Ayn Rand
12-28-2006 08:57 AM
Aravind Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Aravind Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Here are my answers without looking at other replies.

1. I wanted good education. Didnt like how my engineering went, I was insecure that I didnt learn anything.
2. Wanted to move up to a better standard of living. I felt the Quality of Life would be better than India.
3. Wanted to stay away from Parents for a few years to learn to tackle life on my own.

1. Revamp the whole thing. Students in India dont "learn". They mug and reproduce. ( The approach is wrong from high school itself)
2. Emphasis on Problem Solving, Research, NO SPOON FEEDING,
3. If there were many institutions with the same standard as IIT/IISc, there is no need to leave India. IITs and IISc are not accessible to the non-elite

Havent started working yet. So dunno.

The answer to the first question
12-28-2006 11:03 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread