How to prep for AWA??????.......5 weeks left for test
shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How to prep for AWA??????.......5 weeks left for test
Can someone tell me how to go about AWA prep.........havent started yet ........? Sad

06-16-2007 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
smith9876 Offline
Moderator Emeritus

smith9876 Offline
Moderator Emeritus

ya please anybody tell us how to prepare for the awa section and how much time will it take please also tell me how much time will it take to prepare for the toefl ibt test and how tough is the grammar sestion in it ,rc cant be tougher in it than the gre exam, listening section how tough is this sectionand then comes the writing it again cant be tougher than the gre so please anyone out there to help us.

thanks and regards

smith

I have always managed all my split personalities very well.

Life is tough and only the daring can pass through.
06-16-2007 08:29 PM
Jester Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Jester Offline
Edulix Super Senior

guys AWA isnt that difficult if you adopt a proper strategy:

Prep Startegy:
-----------------

1. As you might already be knowing, ETS has released the pool of topics for argument and issue sections. Try to get a copy of these topics and atleast read all the titles before the exam.

2. While reading the titles, try to think of a few points that comes to mind immediately. This habit is particularly helpful, since it teaches you to think sensibly on your foot in the shortest possible amount of time. Keep practising this guys, it really helps.

3. If you have plenty of time, try writing essays on few of these topics. If there is someone who could provide valuable feedback on your essays, it'll be great.

4. For issue topics, if possible, try quoting from Shakespeare or other famous people. Pls dont quote lines, poems, etc. that are irrelevant to your topics. If you do so, it might actually hurt your chances of getting a good AWA score. Foe example, if your topic is about human psychology,etc. you might quote the following:

'What a piece of work is man
How noble in reason
How infinite in faculties
In form and moving
How express and admirable
In action how like an angel
In apprehension how like a god
The beauty of the world
The paragon of animals'

-- Shakespeare

5. Always stick to the time limits. Try to finish off your essays atleast 5 mins before the alloted amount of time. Its imperative that you would have made silly mistakes like those in spelling or grammer, etc. Correcting such silly mistakes may fetch better scores.

6. Argument essays are typically easier compared to Issue ones, since all you've to do is rip the topics apart into pieces and show the world why you think that the given topic is full of unsupported assumptions. You should ideally write about 3-4 points. Moreover, after you're done, in your conclusion, always write as to how you think the given topic could have been strengthened. Never ever forget this part guys as its like the most horrible mistake you can commit as far as Argument Essay is concerned.

7. Also, during the test, make use of the paper they give you for jotting down any point that comes to your mind. Never rely on your memory retention power. Also, jotting down the points helps you in separating the killer ideas or points from the chaff.

8. During the initial brainstorming session (when u desperately try to thin of logical points to support your argument or issue), try writing down anything that comes to your mind (assuming only thing relevant to your topic comes to your mind Smile ). After the brainstorming session, you can filter out the good points from the not-so-good ones

Hope that helped..

06-16-2007 08:50 PM
decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

decentpravin Offline
Edulix Active Member

Jester Wrote:guys AWA isnt that difficult if you adopt a proper strategy:

Prep Startegy:
-----------------

1. As you might already be knowing, ETS has released the pool of topics for argument and issue sections. Try to get a copy of these topics and atleast read all the titles before the exam.

2. While reading the titles, try to think of a few points that comes to mind immediately. This habit is particularly helpful, since it teaches you to think sensibly on your foot in the shortest possible amount of time. Keep practising this guys, it really helps.

3. If you have plenty of time, try writing essays on few of these topics. If there is someone who could provide valuable feedback on your essays, it'll be great.

I would suggest one each per day....in last week before the actual test.

4. For issue topics, if possible, try quoting from Shakespeare or other famous people. Pls dont quote lines, poems, etc. that are irrelevant to your topics. If you do so, it might actually hurt your chances of getting a good AWA score. Foe example, if your topic is about human psychology,etc. you might quote the following:

'What a piece of work is man
How noble in reason
How infinite in faculties
In form and moving
How express and admirable
In action how like an angel
In apprehension how like a god
The beauty of the world
The paragon of animals'

-- Shakespeare

Not required, dont try to be very flowery and mind u this is a double-edged sword so in case u dont know how to handle it wud hurt u real bad. Personally i do not see any reason to quote or something. U are not from arts background and are not expected to read shakespeare and likes

5. Always stick to the time limits. Try to finish off your essays atleast 5 mins before the alloted amount of time. Its imperative that you would have made silly mistakes like those in spelling or grammer, etc. Correcting such silly mistakes may fetch better scores.

6. Argument essays are typically easier compared to Issue ones, since all you've to do is rip the topics apart into pieces and show the world why you think that the given topic is full of unsupported assumptions. You should ideally write about 3-4 points. Moreover, after you're done, in your conclusion, always write as to how you think the given topic could have been strengthened. Never ever forget this part guys as its like the most horrible mistake you can commit as far as Argument Essay is concerned.

7. Also, during the test, make use of the paper they give you for jotting down any point that comes to your mind. Never rely on your memory retention power. Also, jotting down the points helps you in separating the killer ideas or points from the chaff.

8. During the initial brainstorming session (when u desperately try to thin of logical points to support your argument or issue), try writing down anything that comes to your mind (assuming only thing relevant to your topic comes to your mind Smile ). After the brainstorming session, you can filter out the good points from the not-so-good ones

Hope that helped..

Good one jester!!! Smile

Xpect D unXpected...
06-17-2007 02:07 PM
kuchcha Offline
Admin Emeritus

kuchcha Offline
Admin Emeritus

dont worry too much...

as long as u write good english and ur essays are well organised 4.5+ shld be very easy....

as far as preps go....its jus writing and writing....and remember that awa is evaluated by humans and if urs sounds stereotyped ur bound to be at a disadvantage

06-17-2007 02:19 PM
shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

I am concerned because i gave Princeton's online test the other day and got a 3..... Embarassed .......

06-18-2007 04:10 PM
OldGuy Offline
Edulix Super Senior

OldGuy Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Practice:
- Writing essays
- Writing outline
- Learn how to structure an essay
- Learn argument fallacies. Here are some: http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=42195
06-18-2007 06:35 PM
Roze Offline
Edulix Active Member

Roze Offline
Edulix Active Member

guys practice practice practice... !! which i dint do... i was too saturated by the time i got to studyign AWA after verbal and so managed a 3.5... Confused Sad
u guys stil have a lot of time... like all said an essay a day mite do the trick!!

One who dares not offend cannot be Honest! - Thomas Paine

Infobank Profile: http://www.edulix.com/infobank/show_prof...p?uid=7582
06-19-2007 05:25 PM
pranavait Offline
Edulix Active Member

pranavait Offline
Edulix Active Member

first of all Get the Official ETS AWA Info guide available free of cost to download at GRE site and study it.It has explained what responses you have to write in your Issue and argument topics and how will it be scored based upon its contents.It also provide examples for one Issue and one Argument topic and score to various responses in range of 1-6 points.It will help in better understanding of how to get AWA score above 4+.

Then practice daily one Issue and one Argument topic from the Pool of topics available at ETS site and get it evaluated by somebody good at analytical writting.
06-21-2007 10:14 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2

06-21-2007 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

shishya Offline
Edulix Active Member

BOUNCE

06-24-2007 08:20 PM
Red Raider Offline
Edulix Active Member

Red Raider Offline
Edulix Active Member

I guess lot of great information has already been provided in this thread.Apart from that I would like you to thoroughly go thru the AWA Intro PDF published by ETS.Practice would also help a lot but this ETS guide is very helpful.This is the link for it in case you dont know abt it yet:
http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/awintro.pdf
ATB Very Happy

07-02-2007 02:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
chaits85 Offline
Edulix Active Member

chaits85 Offline
Edulix Active Member

I donno if this wud help but I found it easier to quickly fit the given argument in AWA to a template that I'd thought out b4 the exam.

My template began with the first para giving a short description of the argument itself and preferably in ur own words so it duznt sound like u copy pasted the argument given. Very imp to mention the source of argument here i.e. newspaper ad/president's speech/town notice/etc.

The next 3-4 paras were given to the logical fallacies and their explanations with one para for each fallacy. Here the ets ppl like it if u use words like 'Firstly', 'Secondly', 'Also', 'Hence', 'Therefore'. I'd found a list of such words and used them.

Learning the latin names of the fallacies is good bt use them only if ur confident or u'd lose pts for it. The last para detailed wat more info the argument cud contain to make it correct. This is also std. like additional statistical data, comparison in more similar conditions, etc.
07-08-2007 03:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread