Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link

Baasha Bhai Wrote:Coming Soon... Hang on! Cool
waiting for those Wink

kuchcha Wrote:mama....do include pics da Very Happy

yup really needed ..

If you don't go when you want to go,
when you do go, you'll find you've gone.
~Burt Munro
07-22-2007 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ace ventura Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ace ventura Offline
Edulix Senior Member

no pics of clg and all we have websites for tht.....we really need d pics Wink
hope u do tht Twisted Evil

-----------

PM me............i wont reply
regards

SRIDHAR
07-23-2007 08:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Baasha Bhai Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Baasha Bhai Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 1

Ahem...

America has cars, cars and more cars! That was the first impression that this country gave me, as i was sitting in Sharath(ShratathZidane on Edulix and my roommate)'s uncle's car who lives in Houston and who picked us up from the Houston George Bush airport.

Before i go on, let me narrate the experience i had with my flight to the USA.

My international ticket was with Delta from Bombay to Houston, with a 3 hour stop-over in Atlanta(where our international immigration check was to happen) and a technical refuelling stop in NewYork... Atleast that was what my agent told me. So on the morning of July 18, i bid farewell to my family and boarded an Indian flight from Chennai to Bombay, with Sharath. We stayed with my uncle in Bombay during the day and came back to the airport well on time for our Midnight Delta.

Check-in and local immigration were done... And that is where our first surprise came in. International Immigration was to happen in NewYork JFK and not in Atlanta. It Didnt matter that much so we took it in our stride and although delayed by an hour, Boarding happened thout any fuss and the Flight took off. Amreeka, here i come!

The flight was non-stop from Bombay to NewYork. Although we were prepared, the flight was longer than what we prepared for! There was very limited legroom, bodyroom or any kinda room and without company, it could ve been a horrendous experience. The hum of the Engines so got into my head that i couldnt read the book that i had taken nor could i watch a movie on the tiny LCD in front of me. 17 hours of seat-belted suffering and we were finally approaching NY. Or that is what we thought until the Pilot told us that the weather in NewYork did not permit a landing and since the bird did not have any fuel left to wait in the air, we were going to land in Hartford, a 20 minute flight away from NY.

Landing was smooth in Hartford and little did we know then that it was just one of the many that were to come! We spent about an hour in the flight, on the runway in Hartford, waiting for the weather to clear in NY and it was time to take off again. We were in NY within 30 mins and were asked to finish our immigration stuff and return to the same flight as soon as possible.

We rolled out of the aircraft with our cabin baggage and stood in the queue for immigration. We were given two forms in our flight, the I-94 and another form. One had to fill them out before standing in for immigration. The officer at the desk was very helpful and i did not have any trouble with the preocess. She clicked my photograph, took my I94 card ,tore the bottom half of the card and attached it to my passport. The other form was to be given to the officer who clears my check in baggage.

Once immigration was done, i walked in and collected my checkin baggage from the conveyor. From here on we were like regular travellors who were trying to board the flight. We checked in our baggage again and gave the form to the officer there. I was asked if i had any foodstuff inside and my reply was " Oh just a few indian spices and stuff" . Was carrying about 4kgs of spicy Andhra Pickles apart from the spices! Smile

Then came the infamous security check. My cabin baggage was stripped to the bone and everything was checked. We had to remove our belts, shoes, purse, watch, pens and any kinda jewelery on us before walking into the metal detector. Out of the detector and i virtually had to re-dress myself. Without furhter delays we were back in the aircraft and it was time to leave NY. Not so soon.

The moment we got to the runway the dreaded pilot's voice came in again and told us we were 50th in the line of aircraft trying to take off from JFK. I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw plane after plane, one behind the other, accelerating and braking like a taxi in a peak Indian traffic jam. At the rate of one takeoff per minute, it took about an hour for us to float up in the air again. And just about then, the afternoon flight i had to catch in Atlanta also took off. I had missed my connection!

Landed in Atlanta and we were promised another connection flight to Houston late in the evening. But we were given only waiting list tickets and if luck was with us, we would reach houston the same day... But it wasnt meant to be so. All flights to Houston were suddenly cancelled that evening. We were also nonchalantly told that there were no more flights to houston until the next evening and that they wouldnt be able to set us up an accomodation for the night.. Which meant we had to spend a whole night and a day in Atlanta airport!

And out came the real Baasha Bhai... Smile Picked up a phone and called the Delta helpline. After almost 40 minutes of "Your call is really important to us. Please wait" , somebody attended to me and i flushed out all the pressure that built up inside me during the wait. The telephone agent fumbled for a few minutes before finally coming out with a solution... And as always, it had a twist to it. She was willing to reserve a tickets for us to Houston the next morning but it was a connect route that had a flight switch and a stopover in Dallas, for an hour. And it also meant we still had to spend the night at Atlanta. Reluctantly we agreed and got our tickets printed.

The airport in Atlanta was so huge that people had to use a underground metro-like train to traverse between the various terminals. Barring a brief episode where we lost each other in the airport, the night passed by uneventfully. We took our flight to Dallas next morning and thankfully there was no delay this time. Once again we sat through a landing and once again it was smooth. Dallas airport was even prettier than the one in Atlanta. A glassy skytrain, that was suspended at quite a height, connected the different concourses in the airport and we could see a lot of Dallas during our ride on it.

A few minutes later we took our final flight to Houston and within 2 hours, our ordeal was finally over. Atleast thats what we thot until we found that none of our checkin baggage had reached Houston. We reported this immediately and they promised us to delviver our luggage within 2 days. Sharath's uncle who kindly hosted us in Houston for a few days, picked us up from the airport and it felt great to be travelling on road again!

As promised, all our baggage reached within two days and we were finally in the USA.

If you thot the above narration was long and boring, just imagine what we had to sit through! Very Happy

...and So said the King!

Fightin' Texas Aggie! | Texas A&M Univ - Mays Biz - MIS | Graduated Dec '08

Edulix on Facebook!
08-07-2007 11:20 PM
Baasha Bhai Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Baasha Bhai Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 1

My final list of roommates:
1.Sharath (SharathZidane)
2.Bharadwaj(Ulysses)
3.Nithin (Slash)

All of us in MIS...

...and So said the King!

Fightin' Texas Aggie! | Texas A&M Univ - Mays Biz - MIS | Graduated Dec '08

Edulix on Facebook!
08-07-2007 11:25 PM
munna karthik Offline
Edulix Frequent User

munna karthik Offline
Edulix Frequent User

pretty well experience baby; good luck Wink [/quote]

WHATEVER U DO THE END MATTERS
08-08-2007 08:16 AM
Jester Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Jester Offline
Edulix Super Senior

awesome narration bhai, much better than the stories of hindi movies these days Laughing

08-09-2007 09:20 AM
hsirah Offline
Edulix Senior Member

hsirah Offline
Edulix Senior Member

great narration Baasha.. had a similar experience at Washington Dulles.. Was stuck there for 24 hrs.. and had to go to another airport and a another airline to get out of there..

08-09-2007 11:13 PM
sudhakar0828 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

sudhakar0828 Offline

This is a good post,which reveals the travel experiences .Others,pl post ur experiences with any imp points u observed.

i also request all the fall 2007 success students to post ur experiences for the first two months,which is really a time settling abroad.

i trust that this journey experience..and..the first few days settling experiences will be useful to the future aspirants.

good work..basha bhai

sudhakar
08-09-2007 11:31 PM
kd36939 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

kd36939 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

very good narration basha.....
08-10-2007 05:45 AM