asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: University of Illinois, Chicago
(02-10-2016 05:24 PM)gksmile001 Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 10:01 AM)maddy1621 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 09:00 AM)akhilman78 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 07:05 AM)grlakshmi1 Wrote:  Can anyone through some light on the total fees for the program and living cost.
49k$ tuition, from the estimates for last year. Living expenses, I read that one can manage with 600$ but that it can go up to 700$ sometimes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

$18,600/Sem for fall and Spring. Go with this calculation. If you are going for Summer and palnning to finish it in an year it will be 18,600*2 + 5000/6000 (Dont remember the exact number) (summer)
If you are planning for 3 sems (FAll+Spring+Fall) 18,600*3
Most importantly, event if you get an assistantships you still end up apying $5000 a sem.

Hey hi I have received an admit for the UIC MSBA program, could you please tell me how good the coursework is, since it's a relatively new program I couldn't find much info about UIC. I am too much concerned about the total tuition fee. If one take 4 courses in fall and spring, fee will be around $38k and then will they allow to me take pre req courses in summer which might $6k. Then total fee will be around $44k, is it right? I mean if I join by fall 16 and not by summer 16. Tuition Fall 16, Spring 17 and summer '17 will cost around $44k. My question is will they allow students to take pre req courses during summer 17. I have been many ppl are planning to join summer 16 for the sake of reducing , why can't they do the same pre req next year? I am confused, could you please clarify me. Won't they allow the students to take courses during summer? if not fall 16, spring 16 and fall 17 will costs around $55k which is ridiculously expensive

Hey ,

So you are supposed to take all pre requisite courses in your first year at UIC.. That said you can take up your pre reqs in the summer. However you need to take Business Statistics which I am sure is a pre req for all of you to take up courses like data mining.
Similarly big data requires you to take enterprise application development and data mining as pre reqs.

Business pre reqs can be taken in summer but you need to check on what courses are available. You can check them out at http://summer.uic.edu/courses/course_list

And I believe coming in fall 2016 and taking up courses in summer 2017 is a good idea but you need to get approval from the dean which might be the problem.

Some other things you should consider is the job scenario for companies hiring for summer graduates.
02-11-2016 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-11-2016 08:49 AM)asingh77 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 09:00 AM)akhilman78 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 07:05 AM)grlakshmi1 Wrote:  Can anyone through some light on the total fees for the program and living cost.
49k$ tuition, from the estimates for last year. Living expenses, I read that one can manage with 600$ but that it can go up to 700$ sometimes.

$18,600/Sem for fall and Spring. Go with this calculation. If you are going for Summer and palnning to finish it in an year it will be 18,600*2 + 5000/6000 (Dont remember the exact number) (summer)
Most importantly, event if you get an assistantships you still end up apying $5000 a sem.

Hey hi I have received an admit for the UIC MSBA program, could you please tell me how good the coursework is, since it's a relatively new program I couldn't find much info about UIC. I am too much concerned about the total tuition fee. If one take 4 courses in fall and spring, fee will be around $38k and then will they allow to me take pre req courses in summer which might $6k. Then total fee will be around $44k, is it right? I mean if I join by fall 16 and not by summer 16. Tuition Fall 16, Spring 17 and summer '17 will cost around $44k. My question is will they allow students to take pre req courses during summer 17. I have been many ppl are planning to join summer 16 for the sake of reducing , why can't they do the same pre req next year? I am confused, could you please clarify me. Won't they allow the students to take courses during summer? if not fall 16, spring 16 and fall 17 will costs around $55k which is ridiculously expensive

Hey ,

So you are supposed to take all pre requisite courses in your first year at UIC.. That said you can take up your pre reqs in the summer. However you need to take Business Statistics which I am sure is a pre req for all of you to take up courses like data mining.
Similarly big data requires you to take enterprise application development and data mining as pre reqs.

Business pre reqs can be taken in summer but you need to check on what courses are available. You can check them out at http://summer.uic.edu/courses/course_list

And I believe coming in fall 2016 and taking up courses in summer 2017 is a good idea but you need to get approval from the dean which might be the problem.

Some other things you should consider is the job scenario for companies hiring for summer graduates.

Thanks a lot for your reply, The issue is I can't join this summer, so if I join by fall, do you think the entire tuition fee will increase to $55k? I guess some will be joining this summer to reduce their fee by taking pre req. My question is whether it is possible to take the same pre req along with other courses during fall and then spring 17 and finishing rest of the courses during summer '17. Like 4 + 4 + 2. If I can't finish it in summer, what's the tuition fee for 2 courses during Fall, does it cost too much? The tuition fee info at the website is unclear to me, what's the $ per credit rate ? And I guess pre req courses are 4 credits?

02-11-2016 08:15 PM
asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-11-2016 08:15 PM)gksmile001 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 09:00 AM)akhilman78 Wrote:  49k$ tuition, from the estimates for last year. Living expenses, I read that one can manage with 600$ but that it can go up to 700$ sometimes.

Hey ,

Thanks a lot for your reply, The issue is I can't join this summer, so if I join by fall, do you think the entire tuition fee will increase to $55k? I guess some will be joining this summer to reduce their fee by taking pre req. My question is whether it is possible to take the same pre req along with other courses during fall and then spring 17 and finishing rest of the courses during summer '17. Like 4 + 4 + 2. If I can't finish it in summer, what's the tuition fee for 2 courses during Fall, does it cost too much? The tuition fee info at the website is unclear to me, what's the $ per credit rate ? And I guess pre req courses are 4 credits?

at UIC tuition is based on how many credits you take

between 1 and 5 credits is 4000$
between 6 to 11 credits is 12300$
above 11 credits is 18600$

As I said in my last post, taking up courses during summer depends on the dean . I personally would recommend doing an internship during summer. Professional experience in the United States carries a lot of value. And theres the added advantage of getting a co-op which would pay for your extra semester.

Think about taking 4.5 + 4.5 + 1

Tuition comes upto 40k

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 02:05 PM by asingh77.)
02-12-2016 01:59 PM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-12-2016 01:59 PM)asingh77 Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 10:01 AM)maddy1621 Wrote:  $18,600/Sem for fall and Spring. Go with this calculation. If you are going for Summer and palnning to finish it in an year it will be 18,600*2 + 5000/6000 (Dont remember the exact number) (summer)

Hey ,

As I said in my last post, taking up courses during summer depends on the dean . I personally would recommend doing an internship during summer. Professional experience in the United States carries a lot of value. And theres the added advantage of getting a co-op which would pay for your extra semester.

Tuition comes upto 40k

Cheers

asingh77

please explain about your above calcualtion of 40k$.
last year i have done all calcualtion for all possible combinations/options and I wonder how i couldn get this number.

Fall 2015 | OkState | MIS
Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Rate me if i was helpful!!
Skype Guidance Sessions
I am responsible for what I say.Not what you understand.
02-13-2016 12:14 PM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-13-2016 12:14 PM)maddy1621 Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 05:24 PM)gksmile001 Wrote:  Hey hi I have received an admit for the UIC MSBA program, could you please tell me how good the coursework is, since it's a relatively new program I couldn't find much info about UIC. I am too much concerned about the total tuition fee. If one take 4 courses in fall and spring, fee will be around $38k and then will they allow to me take pre req courses in summer which might $6k. Then total fee will be around $44k, is it right? I mean if I join by fall 16 and not by summer 16. Tuition Fall 16, Spring 17 and summer '17 will cost around $44k. My question is will they allow students to take pre req courses during summer 17. I have been many ppl are planning to join summer 16 for the sake of reducing , why can't they do the same pre req next year? I am confused, could you please clarify me. Won't they allow the students to take courses during summer? if not fall 16, spring 16 and fall 17 will costs around $55k which is ridiculously expensive

Hey ,

Tuition comes upto 40k

Cheers

asingh77

last year i have done all calcualtion for all possible combinations/options and I wonder how i couldn get this number.

A flawed calculation might mislead people. (am not saying your calcualtion is flawed). Jus want to confirm the basis of the conclusion you have come to.

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
02-13-2016 12:15 PM
gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-13-2016 12:15 PM)maddy1621 Wrote:  
(02-13-2016 12:14 PM)maddy1621 Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 08:49 AM)asingh77 Wrote:  Hey ,

Tuition comes upto 40k

Cheers

asingh77

A flawed calculation might mislead people. (am not saying your calcualtion is flawed). Jus want to confirm the basis of the conclusion you have come to.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies. I couldn't understand when mentioned as 4.5, is it possible to take half courses per semester like splitting 4 credits into 2 each? I am so much concerned about the fees, so I wanna know exactly how much does tuition fee costs for the entire program, if possible please tell how easy is to get on campus part time jobs, like is it possible to get a part time within couple of months? Can someone honestly tell me how good the MSBA program at UIC, I have been hearing mixed reviews about it. Can someone people share their views on the university. I am really confused, sorry for bothering you guys

02-13-2016 04:12 PM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

No way Your tuition is going to be 40k if you are joining in Fall and wanna graduate in 1.5 years.

Jus do not want anyone to be mislead by this info.
There is lot more to it. Courses are offered only in particular sem. Sometimes you don get the course you want in a particular sem.
There are courses varying from 2-4 credits each.
So, do not come up with your own calculation and land yourself in trouble.

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
02-14-2016 01:18 PM
gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-14-2016 01:18 PM)maddy1621 Wrote:  No way Your tuition is going to be 40k if you are joining in Fall and wanna graduate in 1.5 years.

Jus do not want anyone to be mislead by this info.
There is lot more to it. Courses are offered only in particular sem. Sometimes you don get the course you want in a particular sem.
There are courses varying from 2-4 credits each.
So, do not come up with your own calculation and land yourself in trouble.

Thanks a lot for your honest answer, my question is if I plan to finish it within 1 year, any idea how much the tuition fee will be? And will they allow ppl to take credits/classes during summer if the course is offered during summer session. If so, does the fee get lessened during summer? Honestly is it possible to finish 10 credits within 1 year as ppl are saying, is it really possible to survive by taking 4 to 5 courses per sem? If it's takes 1.5 years to graduate, then I have to think a lot before choosing UIC

02-15-2016 10:50 AM
mr2016 Offline
New Edulixian

mr2016 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi All,

I just finished UIC MIS application. But I was nowhere asked to pay 'INTERNATIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION FEE - 30$'. Did I miss something in the application process? I ended up paying only 70$. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

02-15-2016 07:54 PM
akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
(02-15-2016 07:54 PM)mr2016 Wrote:  Hi All,

I just finished UIC MIS application. But I was nowhere asked to pay 'INTERNATIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION FEE - 30$'. Did I miss something in the application process? I ended up paying only 70$. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.
That has to be paid in the supplemental portal after completing the application there.

02-15-2016 08:32 PM
mr2016 Offline
New Edulixian

mr2016 Offline
New Edulixian

Thanks @akhilman78

I filled and submitted Supplemental application and I was asked pay only 70$ and I was not asked to upload academic credentials too. So, I am confused. I see both my applications are submitted.

I tried filling one more application in supplemental portal to check but I did not see any links to upload academic credentials this time also.

(02-15-2016 08:32 PM)akhilman78 Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.
That has to be paid in the supplemental portal after completing the application there.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 09:42 PM by mr2016.)
02-15-2016 09:41 PM
akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
(02-15-2016 09:41 PM)mr2016 Wrote:  Thanks @akhilman78

I filled and submitted Supplemental application and I was asked pay only 70$ and I was not asked to upload academic credentials too. So, I am confused. I see both my applications are submitted.

I tried filling one more application in supplemental portal to check but I did not see any links to upload academic credentials this time also.

(02-15-2016 08:32 PM)akhilman78 Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

Just wait for it. I remember being confused when they'd ask to pay the 30$. I'm not totally sure if it was in the supplemental portal, now that I think about it. Just keep an eye out on your mail. There would be some sort of notification to pay it, I think.

02-15-2016 09:45 PM
asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

okay so the 40 k calculation

fall 2016 - 18k . You take up 4.5 courses (yes .5 credits is a thing. And there are good courses offered too)

spring 2017 - 18k . You take up 4.5 courses again.

fall 2017 - 4 - 5k. You take up one course

This is the calculation for someone who has 10 courses

If you have 11 take 5 courses in fall 2016 and spring 2017.

Also I graduate from UIC so I guess I have a better idea on how the tuition works.

Doing 5 courses is stretching yourself but if you want to save money it works

Cheers
A
02-15-2016 11:34 PM
asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Also 2 credit courses are offered every semester. On an avergage there would be 6-10 courses with .5 credits.

Also I am not trying to mislead anyone into coming to UIC. If you check my previous posts I have been the biggest critique on UIC.

So you can complete your masters from UIC in 1.5 years by taking 5+5+1 considering you have 11 courses withing 40 - 43k

I have seen people do it and 5 courses in a semester is not impossible.

Regards
A
02-15-2016 11:41 PM
gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

gksmile001 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-15-2016 11:41 PM)asingh77 Wrote:  Also 2 credit courses are offered every semester. On an avergage there would be 6-10 courses with .5 credits.

Also I am not trying to mislead anyone into coming to UIC. If you check my previous posts I have been the biggest critique on UIC.

So you can complete your masters from UIC in 1.5 years by taking 5+5+1 considering you have 11 courses withing 40 - 43k

I have seen people do it and 5 courses in a semester is not impossible.

Regards
A

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just wanna know is it possible to do on campus part time jobs if I take 5 courses per sem? I agree taking 5 courses is like stretching oneself for the sake of reducing money. By doing so, do people find time to do part time jobs or concentrate only on their studies? How much does it costs per month at Chicago including rent and food, I mean about the cost of living? Is it possible to take that 1/2 courses during summer 2017 instead of Fall 2017. Just wanna know whether atleast 1/2 MSBA courses are offered at summer or what? Do you know anyone did their courses during summer?

02-16-2016 12:41 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread