• 41 Votes - 4.1 Average
University of Illinois, Chicago
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: University of Illinois, Chicago
(02-15-2016 11:34 PM)asingh77 Wrote:  okay so the 40 k calculation

fall 2016 - 18k . You take up 4.5 courses (yes .5 credits is a thing. And there are good courses offered too)

spring 2017 - 18k . You take up 4.5 courses again.

fall 2017 - 4 - 5k. You take up one course

This is the calculation for someone who has 10 courses

If you have 11 take 5 courses in fall 2016 and spring 2017.

Also I graduate from UIC so I guess I have a better idea on how the tuition works.

Doing 5 courses is stretching yourself but if you want to save money it works

Cheers
A

asingh77

so, basically u mean someone who doesn have pre reqs or has like one pre req??

N i think there are atleast 3 to 4 pre reqs for everyone.
hardly there are few ppl who get 2 or less tahn 2 pre reqs.
so basically, there are 10 ppl (being leniant here) who can finish the prog in 40k.

Correct me if am wrong. I am really looking forward to learn about the fee calc. as i din chose UIC bcoz of the 55k fee.

Summer costs around 44k i believe.
Note: this calculationa re based on fact that majority of ppl get 3 pre reqs atleast

Most imporatntly its around 18,600/sem not 18,000.
2nd its not 4-5k for 1 course. Its around 7k

Fall 2015 | OkState | MIS
Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Rate me if i was helpful!!
Skype Guidance Sessions
I am responsible for what I say.Not what you understand.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 11:20 AM by maddy1621.)
02-16-2016 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

My bad.

Total fees would be 46k, and yes you are ryt less than 5 credits is 7k

To add to your statement

i suggested taking 5+5+1 which makes a total of 11 courses

Almost 70% of my batch had 3 pre reqs and hence total courses to get your degree comes upto 11.

With that in mind completing the course in 46k for people with 3 pre reqs is feasible.

Regards
A
02-16-2016 11:47 AM
dhruv.gupta377@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

dhruv.gupta377@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

Hi Karan,

I know this is an old post but I am applying for Masters in Business Analytics at UIC and recently got in the infamous "WAITLIST", could you please let me know what are the chances of a waitlist application to convert to admit.

Regards,
Dhruv

(01-15-2013 08:13 PM)Karan_Madan Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 07:25 PM)Karan_Madan Wrote:  Hi all,

My Application status shows as 'Waitlist'....

Is there anyone else here with the same status??

What are the chances of 'Waitlisted' Students getting converted to 'Admit'??

Karan

Seniors,

Can you please help me in this? What are the chances??

samar

Thanks,
Karan
02-16-2016 11:51 AM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-16-2016 11:47 AM)asingh77 Wrote:  My bad.

To add to your statement

Almost 70% of my batch had 3 pre reqs and hence total courses to get your degree comes upto 11.

With that in mind completing the course in 46k for people with 3 pre reqs is feasible.

Regards
A

asingh77
yes possible.
you sugegsted taking 4.5.
with 3 pre reqs. completing all the courses within 2 sems (leaving one for last sem) yes its possible. but, the burden you go through is insane.

its like finising a 3 Full sem course in 2 sem which is not a good idea at all.

UB's prog is designed as 1 year course. Ppl take 5-6 courses which is very very hectic. Again am not saying its impossible.

Bt, UIC's prog is not designed in such a way. Moreover you have got pre reqs which are missing in UB's case.

Last but no the least the learning with such a heavy course load? Are you really gaining something? N along wit hthat you want to do a part tym jon on campus. Search for internships...

These are the things you need to think about!

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 12:15 PM by maddy1621.)
02-16-2016 12:14 PM
siddharth114 Offline
New Edulixian

siddharth114 Offline
New Edulixian

Hello

I received an email confirmation this morning mentioning that I have been "Department Recommended" for admissions in MIS program at UIC

The decision letter says that official admit would be issued by the university after documents verification. Request you to kindly clarify my following doubts
>Will a department recommendation definitely turn into an admit if there are no issues with my documents and credentials?
>How long would it approximately take for me to receive an official admit?
>Now, Do I just need to wait for further communication from the University's Office of Admissions, or am I expected to communicate right away my interest / an acceptance note to join the course
02-16-2016 06:09 PM
akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
(02-16-2016 06:09 PM)siddharth114 Wrote:  Hello

I received an email confirmation this morning mentioning that I have been "Department Recommended" for admissions in MIS program at UIC

The decision letter says that official admit would be issued by the university after documents verification. Request you to kindly clarify my following doubts
>Will a department recommendation definitely turn into an admit if there are no issues with my documents and credentials?
>How long would it approximately take for me to receive an official admit?
>Now, Do I just need to wait for further communication from the University's Office of Admissions, or am I expected to communicate right away my interest / an acceptance note to join the course
-Yes
-No fixed time period. But it'll take at least a week, if not more. Probably more.
-Not necessary.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

02-16-2016 06:17 PM
asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

asingh77 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(02-16-2016 12:14 PM)maddy1621 Wrote:  

To add to your statement

Regards
A

@[asingh77]
yes possible.
with 3 pre reqs. completing all the courses within 2 sems (leaving one for last sem) yes its possible. but, the burden you go through is insane.

UB's prog is designed as 1 year course. Ppl take 5-6 courses which is very very hectic. Again am not saying its impossible.

Bt, UIC's prog is not designed in such a way. Moreover you have got pre reqs which are missing in UB's case.

Last but no the least the learning with such a heavy course load? Are you really gaining something? N along wit hthat you want to do a part tym jon on campus. Search for internships...

Hey

So I started posting on this thread to be very transparent with respect to what happens at UIC. I personally dont think its wise on my part to comment on what happens at any other school.

As far as the workload being too much for 5 courses, I had taken 9.5 courses in my first year at UIC with a 20 hour on campus job. My gpa is decent and I managed to secure a good internship. A lot of people have done the same.

5 courses is doable at UIC. Around 50% of my batch had 5 courses in the first semester. The learning part depends on how you approach each course.

I woudnt encourage anyone to come to UIC if they have admits from University of Cincinnati or UWash ( p.s. if you are considering giving up Kelly or CMU or berkley for UIC get yourself checked Razz)

Regards
A
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2016 01:42 AM by asingh77.)
02-16-2016 10:54 PM
akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

akhilman78 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
(02-16-2016 10:54 PM)asingh77 Wrote:  

To add to your statement

Regards
A

asingh77
yes possible.

Hey

So I started posting on this thread to be very transparent with respect to what happens at UIC. I personally dont think its wise on my part to comment on what happens at any other school.

As far as the workload being too much for 5 courses, I had taken 9.5 courses in my first year at UIC with a 20 hour on campus job. My gpa is decent and I managed to secure a good internship. A lot of people have done the same.

5 courses is doable at UIC. Around 50% of my batch had 5 courses in the first semester. The learning part depends on how you approach each course.

I woudnt encourage anyone not to come to UIC if they have admits from University of Cincinnati or UWash ( p.s. if you are considering giving up Kelly or CMU or berkley for UIC get yourself checked Razz)

Regards
A
You mean you wouldn't encourage one to come if they have those admits, yes?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

02-16-2016 11:05 PM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-16-2016 10:54 PM)asingh77 Wrote:  

To add to your statement

Regards
A

asingh77
yes possible.

Hey

I woudnt encourage anyone not to come to UIC if they have admits from University of Cincinnati or UWash ( p.s. if you are considering giving up Kelly or CMU or berkley for UIC get yourself checked Razz)

Regards
A

asingh77

i did have discussions on this with couple of current students. If you have 3 or less pre reqs it is very much possible. 18,600 + 18,600 + 7000(approx) (only one course in garduating sem)

this is possible. thanks for being patient and helping out Razz

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
02-17-2016 03:53 AM
siddharth114 Offline
New Edulixian

siddharth114 Offline
New Edulixian

Hello

I received communication from UIC today recommending me to join the course earlier, for the Summer Start program, in order to complete my 3 pre-requisites.

>Could you please confirm if there is an option for me to complete these 3 pre-requisites alongside the 18 month course?

>Also, please confirm if the program offers me a provision to complete the course shorter than 18 months

Thanks
02-17-2016 02:58 PM
Ritz_av Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ritz_av Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I have got admit for MSBA program and have been asked to pay 250$ within 2 weeksBrick wall since I am waiting for other results. Going by previous threads, I see they don't provide extension very easily.

My concern here is how worthy UIC MSBA is considering current batch is the 1st batch and there are no placement stats available(unlike other univ.). I tried to get in touch with couple of students pursuing MSBA currently but yet to hear from them.Being expensive course adds to this risk. Is the risk worth taking with lack of clarity on effectiveness of program and unavailability of any stats?Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Inputs from gksmile001, asingh77, maddy1621 or anyone will be very helpful.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2016 09:11 PM by Ritz_av.)
02-17-2016 09:10 PM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-17-2016 02:58 PM)siddharth114 Wrote:  Hello

I received communication from UIC today recommending me to join the course earlier, for the Summer Start program, in order to complete my 3 pre-requisites.

>Could you please confirm if there is an option for me to complete these 3 pre-requisites alongside the 18 month course?

>Also, please confirm if the program offers me a provision to complete the course shorter than 18 months

Thanks

siddharth114

if you go in summer u can graduate in a year.
If you go in fall 1.5 years needed. (you finish your pre reqs along wit hyour actual courses)

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
02-18-2016 03:03 AM
maddy1621 Offline

maddy1621 Offline

(02-17-2016 09:10 PM)Ritz_av Wrote:  I have got admit for MSBA program and have been asked to pay 250$ within 2 weeksBrick wall since I am waiting for other results. Going by previous threads, I see they don't provide extension very easily.

My concern here is how worthy UIC MSBA is considering current batch is the 1st batch and there are no placement stats available(unlike other univ.). I tried to get in touch with couple of students pursuing MSBA currently but yet to hear from them.Being expensive course adds to this risk. Is the risk worth taking with lack of clarity on effectiveness of program and unavailability of any stats?Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Inputs from @[gksmile001], @[asingh77], @[maddy1621] or anyone will be very helpful.

Ritz_av

current batch has like 35 students. Most of them shifted from other depts (IEM, MSI etc) to MS BA.

Program wise it a really good program.
N regarding jobs. Its ua own hardwork. Career fairs are same for everyone. its you r hard work.
Do not worry about the reputation of prog.
Worry only when u hav other admits and you are not able to decide.
If you are very keen on taking up UIC MSBA lemme know. I can put you throu some frnds who shifted from MIS to MSBA.

Profile Evaluation Guide

MIS Mega Sticky
Skype Guidance Sessions
02-18-2016 03:06 AM
Ritz_av Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ritz_av Offline
Edulix Frequent User

maddy1621
Yes it will be of great help if I can talk to current students and get to know their perspective. I have 1 more admit and waiting for Ucinn and Indiana. Soon time will come when I have to decide among 2-3 universities so wan't to be clear on my current admits. Moreover, I chose for summer start in UIC so things will move bit more quickly.

Please PM me with contact details of current students and I will get in touch with them Smile

02-18-2016 02:13 PM
abhinav173 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

abhinav173 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 2
@maddy1621.

Compare GSU's MS in Analytics with UIC's MSBA.

I'm more inclined towards GSU's program.
02-21-2016 10:18 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread