EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.
Skype Guidance Session 5th Feb

Poll: What are the reasons that discourage you from pursuing a Ph.D.? (Select ALL that apply)
PhD means becoming a professor, which I don't want
It takes too long a time - I want to become rich quickly
It takes too long a time - I may not be interested in the subject for so long
It takes too long a time - I want to find a girl/guy and settle down soon
I heard they don't pay you well after your PhD
I am not smart enough to do a PhD
My parents discourage me
My friends discourage me
What is PhD? I thought there was only MS in CS from US.
Other reasons (please discuss)
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 4.18 Average
What reasons prevent you from pursuing a Ph.D.?
ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
What reasons prevent you from pursuing a Ph.D.?
I am increasingly curious, what is it that discourage Indians from pursuing Ph.D.s? I have been in a Ph.D. program myself for almost four years, and I see a strong trend among Indians in particular. Most Indians who come to the US for education come for a Master's degree. The same is NOT true of the Chinese, the Koreans, the Russians (and other East Europeans), or the Brazillians (or others from South America). Their numbers are less (except the Chinese) but most of them are very smart and do quite well in their career. In this respect, the young Indians and the Americans are quite similar, which forebodes ill for both countries, in my opinion. What is it that prevents you brilliant people from taking the Ph.D. route? Why is there a lack of motivation? What can help to motivate you more?

Please, please, help me (and yourself) understand the situation better by casting an honest vote in the poll above. Also feel free to discuss the matter. Many professors here in the US are also asking the same question and seeking an answer. The trend at the IITs is alarming - some really smart people who could have made solid contributions to technology are instead being lured by big money.

The conditions of PhD students in India are not good, so my question is specifically about pursuing it in the US or Europe, where it is an attractive option.

I am more puzzled since India needs more PhDs not only for academia but also for the industry, and this need is only expected to rise further. If you regretted the lack of good teachers in your engineering college, one reason is that there is a shortage of qualified candidates for faculty positions in India. The industry is also moving toward "research outsourcing" whereby foreign companies are opening offshore facilities day in and day out, especially in China.

Here are some more discussions on why India needs more PhDs desperately:

http://www.scidev.net/editorletters/inde...language=1
http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/mar/10iit.htm
http://nanopolitan.blogspot.com/2007/09/...ursue.html

One reason for this trend immediately comes to my mind - India is one of the few countries in the world where a PhD brings forth more negative reactions than positive, among family and friends. Sad.

Thanks guys, need your cooperation in this one!
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2008 11:23 PM by ritendra.)
02-11-2008 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nsquare Offline
Admin Emeritus

nsquare Offline
Admin Emeritus

RE: What reasons prevent you from pursuing a Ph.D.?
heres what i feel -
i think the time required for doing phd might be one of the reasons. by the time one finishes his phd, he'll atleast be 26-27. and most of the parents want their sons, daughters happily married and earning money by that time (atleast its like that in my family). also, marrying and then doing phd doesnt sound good to many people.
if one does ms, it'll take only 1.5/2 years and he'll start earning immediately.

other reason might be......people dont want to get into research stuff. coursework of most of the university here (for undergrad) is not at all research oriented. people have hardly done any research for BE. so they dont want to go in that field.

one more reason might be..... getting phd admit is difficult. so ppl app for ms. they get ms admit(mostly without aid). in 2nd year, they'll get good job offer and it'll be very hard to resist that and app for phd as lots of money might have been spent for ms. and once ppl start earning and do some job for 2-3 year, i guess they wont feel like doing phd.

and yeah...as u mentioned, some ppl think that phd means professor ban gaya. and phd guys dont get paid well, tough to find job in india after phd and all that kind of stuff

(btw i dont have plans to do phd (as of now) coz i want to settle down soon Very Happy ....... 4th option)

To hell with Georgia!!
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2008 11:31 PM by nsquare.)
02-11-2008 11:25 PM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2
let me just elaborate on choices here

1.myth
PhD means becoming a professor, which I don't want
reality
I also dont want to be a professor r do a post doc. but that is just a matter of choice. you may choose not to do so and still do a phd and get a job in the industry
2. myth
It takes too long a time - I want to become rich quickly
reality
It takes anywhere from 5-6 years. most masters courses take two years to finish. from there on it takes another 2 years of work before you pay off your loans and credit card bills and another two years before you actually save enough to call yourself rich. This is about the time it takes for you to complete a phd and get a well paying job in industry.

myth 3
It takes too long a time - I may not be interested in the subject for so long

Reality
Human mind is too fickle. How can you be sure that the job you are joining just after your graduation, you would be interested in for the rest of your life. This fickleness is what phd ends up correcting which also imparts a desirable amount of maturity to a persons character

myth 4
It takes too long a time - I want to find a girl/guy and settle down soon
reality
half the phds in my deptt are married and of the remaining half, half have kids and of the remaining quarter about 70% are committed to marry soon. Only a handful are still single. This can be said to be true for a general cross section of graduate students in sciences and engineering.Sciences and engineering Graduate school gives you a healthy enough stipend for two people to comfortably live on. you need to put on having kids for a cpl of years but thats true for people who post ms and two years of job dont have kids till 26/27
myth 5
I heard they don't pay you well after your PhD
reality
see you cant compare your salaries to what you get as salaries+bonuses at lehmann brothers, citadel, goldman sachs, citigroup etc. for phds in my area atleast a salary of $100k start in industry is not uncommon.
myth 6
reality
go watch 'Taare Zameen Par'
myth 7
My parents discourage me
reality
parents discourage you from a lot of things. Do you end up not doing all of them. I am sure most of people who smoke, their parents do not approve of it. do they still not do it??
myth 8
My friends discourage me
reality
if it is your girlfriend listen to her. else why would you even listen to your guy friends in this matter unless....
myth 9
What is PhD? I thought there was only MS in CS from US.
reality
http://www.google.com,www.edulix.com

hope this puts things in perspective!!

02-12-2008 04:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Legolas Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Legolas Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I agree with ppb after seeing people here. The stipend is enough to have a good life, enjoy. Its definitely not like a prison that PhD comics makes it out to be. If you wish, that is. Its just your perspective.
I am not sure if this is another way of saying I want to settle down.
Simply put, it wouldn't be something that I'll enjoy doing. Period.

02-12-2008 06:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
vimal007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

vimal007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

I think the lack of research facilities and research 'mindset' at the indian undergrad system , has a lot to do with it. Our colleges are more of teaching instituitions rather than research institutions , where the main aim is to prepare the students for the university exams , (very similar to schools in this manner) so that at the end of the 4 years , they can place the student in a company where he'll get 2.2 lpa and the college can proudly boast of 80% placement .

This is specially true of the large number of Engg Colleges which have mushroomed in the country in the last 10 years . How much research can we expect from a department where all but the HOD are bachelors degree holder.

02-12-2008 10:05 AM
kuchcha Offline
Admin Emeritus

kuchcha Offline
Admin Emeritus

it is the fear of the unknown.

02-12-2008 10:16 AM
camphor Offline
Edulix Super Senior

camphor Offline
Edulix Super Senior

It's a big bite and people don't know research.

It has to be worth it to devote that much time to it.
(On the other hand, we push papers without any problems, don't we? Why don't we complain and do something about it.)

In my case, I put it off until I found something that could hold my interest, I thought, for 5 years. Beyond that, people and fields change, so why plan tooo far ahead?

I don't care about money, so that's not it for me but it is for some. I think people are also afraid to entrust 5 years to the university and think PhD is tougher to get into.

02-12-2008 10:33 AM
relroy Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

relroy Offline

Not interested in academic or research career.
Plenty of job oriented MS Telecom programs that suit my interests and my background (BE Telecom) are available.
Parents dont have time or resources to support a 5-6 year academic life, when they expect to be supported by you.
Have to settle in life , cant study till almost 30.
02-12-2008 10:53 AM
go_iceman Offline
Edulix Super Senior

go_iceman Offline
Edulix Super Senior

for me its the fear of making such a huge time investment, 5 years is a long time. i want to be sure of myself and my interests before i pursue it. though a phD is my final degree goal and im sure ill be entering a phD program when i complete my ms. its just taht little uncertainity in myself that prevented me from making that commitment
02-12-2008 03:55 PM
rider of rohan Offline
Edulix Senior Member

rider of rohan Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I don't agree with the point "no research mindset". Even if people do not develop an affinity towards research during their undergrad due to our "much-celebrated" education system, many go for MS to some of the best universities in the world. And I think 2 years in such an academically stimulating environment can inspire ppl to go for PhD. And the best time to decide on PhD is definitely during your Masters.

I think its definitely the "MS-Job-Wife & Comfortable Life" thinking which discourages most from going for Phd, a more challenging and uncertain path.

" Sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes the statue"

http://rohan.50webs.com/home.html

http://iwishweallcudwin.blogspot.com
02-12-2008 07:28 PM
girish aiyer Offline
Moderator Emeritus

girish aiyer Offline
Moderator Emeritus

light fades away Wrote:myth 6
reality
go watch 'Taare Zameen Par'
myth 7
My parents discourage me
reality
parents discourage you from a lot of things. Do you end up not doing all of them. I am sure most of people who smoke, their parents do not approve of it. do they still not do it??

hope this puts things in perspective!!

very well discribed light.....my 2 bits on this ...well,i believe its too early for an MS apper to decide if he/she wants to go for a Phd...and convincingly so because we come from a background which doesn't focus much on research facets of any subject ...discounting a few really good institutes in india.... so the attitude is more like what nsquare has mentioned...so don't blame him for tht...coz i too come frm the same school of thought...but as u described, maybe as legolas said, u strt looking up at things from a different(broader) perspective once u r actually there and start experiencing things
as of now, Phd is not what i would be looking at...everything u said sounds plausible but still.. i think.. u need to give urself time to find out if u really want to go for a Phd...and i believe 2yrs of MS wld be good time to think abt tht Smile....but good to know that the cliche abt Phd tht we get to hear is more of a faux pas ...

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2008 07:40 PM by girish aiyer.)
02-12-2008 07:30 PM
rider of rohan Offline
Edulix Senior Member

rider of rohan Offline
Edulix Senior Member

And as an encouragement, I'd like to point out that as compared to PhDs in US, their counterparts in Europe (excluding UK) are much better-off. Responsibilities like TAship and all are not mandatory for them, so that they can focus solely on their research, and they get much better salaries and benefits!

" Sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes the statue"

http://rohan.50webs.com/home.html

http://iwishweallcudwin.blogspot.com
02-12-2008 07:35 PM
OldGuy Offline
Edulix Super Senior

OldGuy Offline
Edulix Super Senior

I am married, have children and well settled. have position and earning what experienced PhDs earn in industry. Still want to pursue a PhD and become researcher/professor.
The reasons which deter me are:
- my family whom I might have to leave back home.
- Want a good barter (well ranked department) against leaving a lucrative job. Which is not easy and not ensured. Once I disclose it to my boss (CEO)- certainly before applying - I am doomed.

02-13-2008 12:27 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2
fear of the unkown and a woman these seem to be the detrimental factors in pursuing a phd. perhaps what i said about people doing thier phd marrying before 26/27 has fell on deaf years. perhaps people here wanna 'do' by 24 something i dont personally subscribe to so lets leave it at that.

as far as fear of unknown goes, all you very conviniently ventured into science in class 11. i am sure half you disdnt know jack about science when you took it up on behest of your parents/ beacuse your friends were taking it or whatever. Surprize even i didnt. so what we all have done well for ourselves by coming to this point.
now you guys wanna put your money in ms pay for courses which you will not use for the rest of your lives just to get a degree to get a job!! if that is what you want, MIS and MBA are wayy better courses. you are just wasting you time in an ms. because in an ms when 6 years down the line in a tech job you want career advancement both vertical and horizontal you will need to do a phd and then waste five years again whereas now you can do it with just three years extra.

dont give excuses for your lack of commitment towards what you want to do in life. know what you want to do and then do it and even if you dont know do whatever but do it to a logical conclusion. MS is no logical conclusion. PhD is. MBA is a logical conclusion go for it.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2008 12:44 AM by light fades away.)
02-13-2008 12:43 AM
bolero Offline
Edulix Senior Member

bolero Offline
Edulix Senior Member

The main reasons I have not apped for a Phd are
1. I feel by doin a PhD I would be narrowing the choice I would have in future. I want to be sure that the field I would do my PhD (some day I will definitely do it) is something which I am interested in. 5 years is a huge investment and if at the end of it I dont have interest in it then its a waste. It would be wrog to call this " lack of commitment" as I commit myself to something only if i m interested in it.
2. MONEY: I feel its my duty to make sure my family is more than comfortable. They have done a lot for me and its my turn to give back. My father would retire in 2-3 yrs. So i feel at this point in time, MS is best for me.
3. I dont think a PhD is necessary to do well in the industry...I dont want to be a prof (at least till i cross 45) so MS works out well for me.

And as Kuchcha said, its fear of unknown. Its not that u can surely complete ur PhD in 5 yrs...can take more time than that.

Bolero

02-13-2008 04:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread