Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
HOWTO improve one's profile
Yeah, I've been using Linux for about 4 years now so gotten used to the HOWTOs.

I graduated in June 2007 from University of Mumbai with a B.E. in Computer Engineering. My final year percentage was a poor 59 and my gross aggregate is just about 55%. Don't mean to give excuses and whine, but I attribute the poor performance to:

1. The Education System:

Everyone knows that marks secured from MU is by rote. People from other universities please comment on your respective universities. Now I had known basic C++ and Assembly Language programming and such from Junior College and was so interested in the field of Computers, that I had to just go for Engineering (really don't know why I didn't even attempt the JEE or AIEEE). Comparing the syllabus of MU with other universities, it's on par with the undergrad course of most foreign universities. However the way things are done here is horrible. In spite of having read and acquired strong conceptual understanding of subject from books by some of the best authors(Cormen, Tannenbaum, Ullman, Knuth, Richie), I constantly found myself in the 40 - 55 range. I started using Linux in my second year and by using Debian Sarge, I really understood OS concepts and such. Even gained in depth knowledge of the whole Software Engineering process and applied the concepts in my JAVA and Python programs. The interest in Computer Science just increased but the marks never did.

2. Internal Politics that are prevalent in many colleges

Really don't know what to say, but I missed out on my First Class by 9 marks just because of Term Work. Suffered from miserable Term Work in spite of having done many assignments on my own and practical programs on my own which were then copied from me!

I now find myself with 3 rejects and based on my profile would never be able to even think of applying to any of the bigger UCs, Ivy League and other big names despite the passion to study further.

The whole point of this is how can people like me who have graduated with terrible acads stand a chance of applying to some of the big names (don't count USC here) and have a good chance of getting admits. Would things like Research Papers, Work Ex, Subject GRE (Comp Sci or Math) really give me a chance of getting in acad centric universities like say Stony Brook or NCSU? Seniors please give your valuable advice which I can use in the situation that I get all 11 rejects. Currently I am working as a Lecturer and teach Data Structures and Algorithms. I would really like to use this advice to help students in their penultimate year buck up and get their profile upto mark.

03-06-2008 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nsquare Offline
Admin Emeritus

nsquare Offline
Admin Emeritus

RE: HOWTO improve one's profile
Here are some options according to me:
1. AGRE
For cs people, if u can score 800+ then i think they'll compensate bad acads. and even if a guy is university topper from MU/PU, 800+ will definitely add something more to his profile

2. Research
Get involved in some kind of research in ur area of specialization. Apply to IIT's/IISc for RA position. Try ur luck as intern/trainee at RnD centres of companies. Work on research project. publish some papers Smile

3. Work Exp.
If one has got good amount of work exp in his area of interest and if he/she has been working on good project(s) in that area, then it'll definitely helps.

4. Choose research over job in IT
In case if someone is applying after 1-2 years (from the time he completed BE). Instead of working in IT company, it'll be a lot helpful, if he applies for some internships at various research groups. (maybe even outside India. Some countries in Europe like england, germany, switzerland has got pretty good research groups for almost all areas)

To hell with Georgia!!
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2008 09:12 PM by nsquare.)
03-06-2008 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

So can someone provide some links of popular Research groups?

03-09-2008 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
raady Offline
Edulix Senior Member

raady Offline
Edulix Senior Member

international publications are the single most important factor that universities look for .
03-10-2008 03:49 PM
sudarshanmj Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

sudarshanmj Offline

Likes Given: 1
whatever happens, i have come to conclude one thing,
colleges like ncsu,buffalo , usc and some other mid-top univs simply DO NOT HAVE THE TIME to look beyond either your transcripts or test scores or in some cases , both.

In such colleges "good profile" is purely either good gre score or good acads.

03-10-2008 08:36 PM
fanofai Offline
Edulix Frequent User

fanofai Offline
Edulix Frequent User

With regards to research, two things come to my mind:
1. Since you are in Mumbai, you can DEFINITELY work as a research assistant in IIT, Mumbai. It may be possible to work part-time while keeping your current job. Do speak to a few professors. Professors are usually encouraging.
2. From your message, it is apparent that you are strong in OS concepts. Further since you are interested in Linux, why don't you contribute to Open source projects/work on fixing bugs in Bugzilla etc. Even though this may not yield instant results, it will surely give you pointers as to what can be done. You'll also be up to date with these topics.

I agree that you should take the Subject GRE in Computer Science.

Zendagi migzara - Life goes on. (The Kite Runner)
03-11-2008 08:52 AM
sgtpeppers Offline
Edulix Super Senior

sgtpeppers Offline
Edulix Super Senior

The scene in Mumbai Univ is the same everywhere - even in colleges like mine (DCE), where we use Turbo C in the labs to program (if there are any labs at all, faculty shortage mean most of the classes dont happen). I've heard (from friends studying there) it's the same in college like IIT where learning is by rote completely.

Take heart, even if you don't make to Ivy League college, USA is STILL the land of opportunity. I'm sure you'll find must more recognization for your skills and especially your interest than in India.

Look at what you can change, not what you cannot change.

Gator Grad 2010
03-11-2008 12:00 PM
bolero Offline
Edulix Senior Member

bolero Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Well, Acads are the single most imp thing..diff to get in good colls..work ex/research/paper would help you improve ur profile somewhat.

03-11-2008 12:04 PM
rohit008 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rohit008 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sgtpeppers Wrote:The scene in Mumbai Univ is the same everywhere - even in colleges like mine (DCE), where we use Turbo C in the labs to program (if there are any labs at all, faculty shortage mean most of the classes dont happen). I've heard (from friends studying there) it's the same in college like IIT where learning is by rote completely.

Take heart, even if you don't make to Ivy League college, USA is STILL the land of opportunity. I'm sure you'll find must more recognization for your skills and especially your interest than in India.

Look at what you can change, not what you cannot change.

I agree with this guy..I'm in NSIT, and it's the same here ( Though never thought would agree with any DCE guy Razz but what is true is true ).

That's why everyone want to do MS and not MTech.

Go for subject GRE. I'm in similar to your position only diff. is I'll get more than 60 when
my engg. ends. My aggregate is lower in some sems bcoz. marks were given by some teachers on the basis which was something other than wht I've written in papers.
[ Don't want to say it here, will be too embarassing ] .

It's impossible to change the system here. So, just get what you want and move ahead.

Get 800+ in sub GRE in CS. Even ppl. from IIT with 9.x agg get around 810,820.

Ofcourse if you get tht 90th percentile then you are going everywhere. That will be 850+.

Even I'll do the same. And ya get great GRE scores ( Easy..just have to do barrons and 1500+ LOL ).
03-11-2008 05:54 PM
reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Thanks guys. Still waiting for 8 more colleges and hope at least one of them is an admit. This thread makes me feel much better though.

03-11-2008 08:26 PM
camphor Offline
Edulix Super Senior

camphor Offline
Edulix Super Senior

reef_d Wrote:I graduated in June 2007 from University of Mumbai with a B.E. in Computer Engineering. ..... Currently I am working as a Lecturer and teach Data Structures and Algorithms.
ShockedShocked

reef_d Wrote:Would things like Research Papers, Work Ex, Subject GRE (Comp Sci or Math) really give me a chance of getting in acad centric universities like say Stony Brook or NCSU?
Like SMJ said, most large universities just weed out by acads/scores. Unless you are applying for a PhD, in which case they'll definitely look at your resume. In any case, most times they won't look at more than the first page of your resume -- If that -- where (if you're smart) you have GRE TOEFL scores, and you highlight research exp, work esp, and any publications.

reef_d Wrote:Seniors please give your valuable advice which I can use in the situation that I get all 11 rejects...
I'm not a senior, but since you say you are interested in research:
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
IIT Povai
MS Research
and many more... show up with your resume and bug the HR or prof...

03-12-2008 12:45 PM
sgtpeppers Offline
Edulix Super Senior

sgtpeppers Offline
Edulix Super Senior

rohit008 Wrote:Go for subject GRE. I'm in similar to your position only diff. is I'll get more than 60 when
my engg. ends. My aggregate is lower in some sems bcoz. marks were given by some teachers on the basis which was something other than wht I've written in papers.
[ Don't want to say it here, will be too embarassing ] .

You mean the now almost mystical random number generator? Very Happy

Even my percentage is precariously balanced at 60. A bad result in the 5th sem, and I'll fail into the 50s Neutral

Gator Grad 2010
03-16-2008 01:37 AM
rohit008 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rohit008 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Ya...and attendace-marks generator model.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2008 07:38 PM by rohit008.)
03-17-2008 07:34 PM
reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

reef_d Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Another question here:

Now the lecturers in MU are a floating population (I'm one of em). Many of them find jobs in the industry or pursue higher studies. Already one of the guys I took a recommendation from is planning on joining the industry.

Now assuming the worst case and I have to apply in Fall 2009 or 2010, if I have done significant amount of research work under profs at IIT, their recos would count right? Most univs say that 2 recos should be from professors who know your capabilities (which i assumed would be profs during undergrad)

03-20-2008 09:11 AM
Nile Away
Admin Emeritus

Nile Away
Admin Emeritus

If you had sufficiently long acquaintance with the recommender then it counts.

How can one assume that a person can comment(and comment so nicely.. which you expect.. and force/request him to give) on you within 1-2 or even 3 months?

Again depends who is giving reco...
1 if he and u worked on same projects etc then okay.. but with hod etc u do not interact much so this plays imp role.

2 also the kind of work.. not every recommender can comment on all of ur qualities. this care also should be taken. Many recos have 'no scope for observation' box (on prescribed reco of univ) this might be the right choice in such cases.

Hope it helps.
Nile.
03-22-2008 02:03 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread