Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[OT]: Helpful links for grads and faculty.
dopemonkeyman Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

dopemonkeyman Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
[OT]: Helpful links for grads and faculty.
Here is an excellent resource I found on a Profs. webpage.
( http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/home.html )
Has collection of articles on research/phd, grad life, technical writing, presentation tips, networking and job hunting & articles for faculty as well.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/taoxie/advice.htm
07-09-2006 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Nix Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Nix Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

laods of stuff to read now...
good...

07-09-2006 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
manko0 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

manko0 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Good one...
07-09-2006 01:45 PM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2

too good dopey

thanx Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

07-09-2006 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Auxin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

so nice, thanks Smile

To Hell With Georgia! Wink
07-09-2006 11:36 PM
sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Some wonderful stuff there - thanks, dopey!
07-10-2006 12:23 AM
Jesus is Watching Offline
Edulix Active Member

Edulix Active Member

Awesome link dopey..

I was up all night reading each n every topic.....

What I read had me damn worried though Sad Sad

In most links, they say the reason u do a phd is not because u wanna earn great money, but because u wanna be a part of the community from which u have always taken sumthing, and now its time to give back in terms of ur research...

Now I am dead interested in doing a PhD, because I want to work on nanotechnology, and real work in this field begins only where MS ends.. I hope ppl would agree here.... I am ready to spend as many years as it takes to come up with sumthing solid in this field or research..

Having said that, I want to make money too.. Hell I want to make tonnes of it... And all the links i read had me thinking that money and scientific knowledge/research are mutually exclusive.... U cant have too much of both... It would translate as either u get lakshmi mata or u get saraswati mata Very Happy

Plz sumone here tell me that PhDs arent the nerdy mad scientists who work behind closed doors, and have no say in the management...

I mean after a while of research in a company, dont PhD ppl get to do some amount of manegerial jobs????? That might influence company research decisions, if not the actual sales n marketing... Hector Ruiz of AMD is also a PhD... He's their president.. Is he an exceptional case????

And this one is specially for photonics, though others may wanna answer too: photo bhaiya u once mentioned to sum1 in a post that u wud like to do ur PhD, and then later on u wud do want to do an MBA, coz u saw urself as a manager in a techno company or concerning techno affairs in a company..... My question : is MBA necessary??? Then y not
MS----->MBA?

I know there has been a thread regarding this, but I didnt find the answers convincing...

Seniors, or maybe super seniors, plz shed some light on this......

Maybe the topic isnt OT anymore, atleast not for me Smile
07-10-2006 01:08 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Quote:And this one is specially for photonics, though others may wanna answer too: photo bhaiya u once mentioned to sum1 in a post that u wud like to do ur PhD, and then later on u wud do want to do an MBA, coz u saw urself as a manager in a techno company or concerning techno affairs in a company..... My question : is MBA necessary??? Then y not
MS----->MBA?

I know there has been a thread regarding this, but I didnt find the answers convincing...

Seniors, or maybe super seniors, plz shed some light on this......

Maybe the topic isnt OT anymore, atleast not for me Smile

hmm nice question. MS+MBA or PHD+MBA or PhD+PDF or PhD+2 PDF or 2PhD+PDF or 2PhD+2PDF or 3Phd or....................................................

quoting from my own thread

Quote:Enough has been said on this topic in numerous threads on edulix. I will however very briefly give some conclusive comments on this topic. If you are interested in making a lot of money then please do not go in for PhD. Let me substantiate this with some economic facts. If you are lucky to get a fully funded PhD program in a reputed university in US, you will be getting a complete tution waiver along with a stipend of $18000-30000 tops. After completion of your PhD you will have the option of going to the industry or continue somewhere as a PDF(Post Doctoral Fellow). As a PDF you will get somewhere around $3000-$5000 tops per month. By this time you will turn 30 and earning $60,000 per annum. On the other your good friend who gave his GMAT after working for two years and got into a Kellogg, a Wharton, a Yale or an HBS would get a start of $100,000 per annum at a ripe age of 25-27 while you still will be writing your PhD. By 30 he would have touched $150,000 happily married, great wife and a couple of rugrats. So money wise a career in research and development pales in front of an MBA. However if you take a holistic view of things then you will realize that an MBA pales in front of a PhD. To evolve as a human being, it is important to develop an inquisitive attitude and acquire the ability to perform and understand new things. These capabilities can only be acquired during the course of doctoral studies.
I would like to conclude by saying that in our scriptures, it has been mentioned that the two main objectives of a human life are to assimilate and disseminate knowledge and to contribute to continuation of our race. Chasing Maya(or money) is the karma(action) of Demons.

upto you maintain a balance of vidya and sarawati. do not go beyond third term of the geometric progression stated above and you should be fine. Will make enuf money for a decent lifestyle.

you gave me a tough question to answer. now i ask you "how much land does a man need". the answer you give to this question will be same as the answer you seek

Bill gates was a school drop out. you too drop out of your engg. chuck GMU intern join a rock band who knows you will end up bigger than MJ

life is all out choices. Choices you have already made and now are living them out

cheers
photonics

07-10-2006 01:35 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

being more pragmatic(which i usually am not after a cpl of you know what) PhD plus MBA gives you a decisive technical edge over MS people in interdisciplinary areas like nanotech and photonics and MBA gives you the required mangerial skills so rule of thumb for interdisciplinary field PhD+MBA else MS+MBA will do fine

07-10-2006 01:42 AM
sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

If you are fine with pottering around on a shoe-string budget for several years learning fun stuff and using your mind to advance a field before you settle down to the business of making obscene amounts of money, I don't see any problems with trying a PhD. Do try out a research-heavy MS before committing.

I don't recommend the PhD+MBA route. It's a bit anti-climactic, and surviving the PhD will likely give you a pretty solid grounding of management skills too, if not the theory. Plus you're probably just collecting degrees by this stage, which is quite a pointless exercise and impresses nobody important.

The reason why you'll usually see many more BS/MS millionaire-CEO types is that money making and expanding a field often (but not always) require very different mindsets. Both require some sort of a vision and single-mindedness, but trying both is inefficient and somewhat paradoxical. These are long term goals that often seem to ask for more than they give back, to bystanders (esp. the PhD), so the motivation to plod on is often irrational and somewhat fanatical. You have to really love what you're doing for it to make any kind of sense on the balance sheet. Only a few of us can switch that object of motivation so drastically.

Consider the PhD in upper management - since he abandoned frontline research to push paper, it's safe to assume that he wasn't headed to Stockholm any time soon. Of course, the converse isn't realistically possible.

You could do it for the experience, but you might not finish the PhD, or you might abandon the management side of things along the way. I still won't discourage it, because a) I myself automatically resist people telling me what to do Smile, and b) you never know what latent gifts lie in there. Lots of people have done it.

Edit: I agree with ritendra - a lot of PhDs are normal people having fun. Chap from my lab graduated with a PhD, and is now a farmer in New Hampshire.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2006 03:09 AM by sdaedalus.)
07-10-2006 02:49 AM
ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ritendra Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

PhD+MBA is quite rare - in my opinion, you learn to be a manager while being a PhD student (if you didn't, your PhD process would have been incomplete) - when you guys meet the US professors, you will realize how good managers some of them are.

Atleast in the CS/EE/Mat.Sc/Chem industry, I personally know of many PhDs in managerial positions - it is usually a personal decision to stay in research or administration. With time you can usually progressively become managers, senior managers, directors, etc. if you wish to..
Quote:Having said that, I want to make money too.. Hell I want to make tonnes of it... And all the links i read had me thinking that money and scientific knowledge/research are mutually exclusive....

It depends on what you mean by "tonnes". People do make a *lot* of money after PhD, whether they choose to be in research or go into management. Salaries depend a lot on experience.

Quote:Plz sumone here tell me that PhDs arent the nerdy mad scientists who work behind closed doors, and have no say in the management...
Oh yes, "most" are just normal human beings - they do have a lot of say in the management - and some are so smart that people really *listen* to them when they speak.

Actually, life's priorities change a lot during/after grad studies. Maybe you won't really care to make "tonnes" of money? My point is "STOP WORRYING SO MUCH - DO WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY MOST INCLINED TOWARD"

If not, you should be smart enough by then to build a startup, make a movie on shoestring budget that sells like hot cakes, or rob a bank.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2006 03:26 AM by ritendra.)
07-10-2006 03:01 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

nice points ritendra and sadealdaus. PhD does incorporate and imparts a lot of managerial skills but on the hindsight i see a lot of PhDs sucessful in their technomanagement roles having done abit of academia initially, later settling into high paying industry job end up doing an MBA in thier later years(read right side of 40s) just to get into nitty gritty of sales and product marketing. It is also a source of salary boost and also as per my perception industries give a lot of repect to PhD+MBa as opposed to academia who give a lot of respect to PhD+2-3 years of PDF+visting fellow+abc+...xyz.

I have seen and know quite a bit of people who fall in the same category.

07-10-2006 03:20 AM
sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

sdaedalus Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ritendra Wrote:when you guys meet the US professors, you will realize how good managers some of them are.

They're insanely good. While I'm sleeping/walking around taking pictures/being a bum/surfing the net/generally slacking off, these folks seem to move mountains. Geez.

I'm this guy:

[Image: phd021205s.gif]
http://www.phdcomics.com
07-10-2006 03:30 AM
Edulix Active Member

Edulix Active Member

Whooptie doo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was expecting replies from all the seniors, but not so soon!!! And photo bhaiya, u r a serious nocturnal creature, at least the rest of us are in d US!!!

Thanx a million sirs for replying.. Things have started to make some sense to me now.. By discussing problems here, one does see many more perspectives earlier shrouded form view.. Thats y edulix ROCKS!!!

So the few points i gathered from the discussion were:

1. "Do try out a research-heavy MS before committing. "

thnx sdaedalus sir for making that part re-clear to me.. Doing this will let me know whether I really am prepared for PhD or not.. Its a biiiiig decision, and needs to b taken after weighing everything......

2. "How much land does a man need??"

I need enough land to hold a Billiards table, no more Laughing Laughing

But yeah the figues u gave me make me believe that spending many years of life on research wont rob me financially.. And though I wont b able to financially compare to the IIM/HBS grad friends of mine, I would have enuff to cover me n family.. By tonnes I meant itna hi, maybe just a little more to spare.. But heck, insaan ki ichchha kabhi khatam nahi hoti....

Oh cant chuck GMU intern.. Its too damn interesting.. Plus I'm getting to meet lotsa amriki ladies Wink Wink

3. "Consider the PhD in upper management - since he abandoned frontline research to push paper, it's safe to assume that he wasn't headed to Stockholm any time soon. Of course, the converse isn't realistically possible. "

Sirji I got a 730 in GRE verbal, but i wasnt completely able to crack what this meant!!! Plz help me out Embarassed

4. "it is usually a personal decision to stay in research or administration. With time you can usually progressively become managers, senior managers, directors, etc. if you wish to.. "

"People do make a *lot* of money after PhD, whether they choose to be in research or go into management."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its exactly what i wanted to hear.... I mean I cant decide now what I'll be doing 20 yrs down the line, but the prospects of a door being closed for me(read the door to management) freaked me out!!! Glad to know that its still in my hands what I want to do further on!!!!

Another question : Could salary depend on ur research thesis too??

5. Bottom Line

"STOP WORRYING SO MUCH - DO WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY MOST INCLINED TOWARD"

Thanx ritendra sir... Its the nub, the core of the whole answer.....

And that comic was riproaring Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
07-10-2006 04:20 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Quote:I was expecting replies from all the seniors, but not so soon!!! And photo bhaiya, u r a serious nocturnal creature, at least the rest of us are in d US!!!

looking for a room re. real estate in USA doesnt make much sense to me Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

07-10-2006 04:36 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread