How to excel in Graduate Studies
exuberant Offline
Edulix Frequent User

exuberant Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How to excel in Graduate Studies
Now that most of us have now setteled down with the admission and visa stuff lets talk about how to cope with the graduate studies and do well in studies despite handling cooking cleaning stuff and being far from family

Can some senior through some light on the examination system in US and how it is different from ours. What are the tricks of the trades. What are the best ways to study group or indivual and stuff like this
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2005 04:03 PM by exuberant.)
07-25-2005 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Nightwolf Offline
Edulix Active Member

Nightwolf Offline
Edulix Active Member

07-26-2005 01:14 PM
nag Offline
Edulix Active Member

nag Offline
Edulix Active Member

hey
yeah a very important thread...

" "The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist."
07-26-2005 03:03 PM
akap Offline
Edulix Frequent User

akap Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2005 08:16 PM by akap.)
07-26-2005 03:33 PM
pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

exuberant good query there pal.......tats exactly wat i wanted to know
to especially coping with a different academic system............

Rolling Eyes Idea SO SENIORS HOW DOES ONE 'PLAY SAFE' IN GRAD SCHOOL CONSIDERING AN AVERAGE STUDENT WITH 3/4SUBJECT COURSELOAD???
07-26-2005 07:11 PM
pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

boing! keep this thread alive guys until our gurus come ........

8)
07-27-2005 12:19 AM
pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

bounce! edit the post topic exhuberant ...it sounds weird
07-27-2005 03:21 PM
exuberant Offline
Edulix Frequent User

exuberant Offline
Edulix Frequent User

How to Do Good in Graduate Studies
This one should be okSmile
07-27-2005 04:02 PM
nag Offline
Edulix Active Member

nag Offline
Edulix Active Member

hey
let the real gurus..go thru this thread....we aspirants may end up with some good suggestions....

" "The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist."
07-27-2005 11:17 PM
daring_eagle Offline
Edulix Frequent User

daring_eagle Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Shiva, ritendra , Santosh, Rakesh r u guys listening ?? Smile
07-28-2005 07:09 PM
US bound Offline
Edulix Active Member

US bound Offline
Edulix Active Member

Ok, lets start with the examinations : This is my view, the strongest advantage of the the US education system, especially at graduate level. Exams here DO what they are meant to do : thoroughly test and evaluate your understanding of the subject matter. The thing I liked best is the concept of open book exams .. that way the emphasis is clearly on understanding the subject matter, rather than waste time cramming stuff you will forget as soon as you are out of the exam hall. This is not to say all exams are open book .. however even in those which are not, you are only expected to remember important concepts, rather than memorize entire textbooks. You are also typically allowed a one-page cheat-sheet to note down concepts that you feel are important and hard to remember. However, you CANNOT prepare overnight for these exams .. consistent effort is needed right through the semester to do well. But all said and done, while it is challenging to get excellent grades in some difficult courses, it is usually not too difficult to get by with a passing grade at the graduate level.
07-28-2005 09:20 PM
Rakesh Narayan Offline
Edulix Active Member

Rakesh Narayan Offline
Edulix Active Member

well
i think what us bound said depends on the course . some courses r cross courses with undergrads where ya still have to remember a lot of *word censored by forum*. SO its a balance of knowledge gaining in some courses and some critical thinking in others. But there r different kinds of course structures, some have exams take about 80% of the grade, some just have projects, a mix of the 2 is the most common with a 50-50 scheme divided usually amongst 3 exams. The best part is the industry doesnt care about your graduate GPA, so you can take liberty of not doing well in the exams and just learning thereby getting relatively moderate grades. Note the the better the school the more competetion for grades and the more you need to work hard. And ultimately these grades prove nothing, so you should relax about them. I had just one company specify a 3.5 GPA requirement. The research labs may however look at acad creds with more detail.
07-28-2005 09:42 PM
pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

pradz24 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Re: well
Rakesh Narayan Wrote:The best part is the industry doesnt care about your graduate GPA, so you can take liberty of not doing well in the exams and just learning thereby getting relatively moderate grades. Note the the better the school the more competetion for grades and the more you need to work hard. And ultimately these grades prove nothing, so you should relax about them. I had just one company specify a 3.5 GPA requirement. The research labs may however look at acad creds with more detail.

wat u mean to say is grades dont matter so much...then y is there
competition for grades in the better schools?

Confused: also since we have started with exams obviously it seems consistent reading is required......
so other than open book tests do they assess students thru objective tests?
07-29-2005 09:36 PM
Santosh Offline
Edulix Active Member

Santosh Offline
Edulix Active Member

Quote:The best part is the industry doesnt care about your graduate GPA, so you can take liberty of not doing well in the exams and just learning thereby getting relatively moderate grades. Note the the better the school the more competetion for grades and the more you need to work hard. And ultimately these grades prove nothing, so you should relax about them. I had just one company specify a 3.5 GPA requirement. The research labs may however look at acad creds with more detail.

So totally true!!! I agree.. Industry doesnot care with what grades you graduate out if its more the 3.0.. for an job in the industry, a guy with 3.2 - 3.3 is same as the guy with say 3.8 or above... who ever has better knowledge about the job to be done gets the job...bcos in industry, all tha matters is getting the job done..... u see cos ppl can get 3.8 GPA even by cramming up stuff and not knowing the concepts...

However when u want to opt for a reearch related career (either a PhD or a job in the R&D labs of some XYZ company) , there they give more weightage to your grades... Most univs need 3.5+ GPA for admitting a student in their Doctorate Program AFAIK ....

better schools have better (read bigger) companies coming in for campus recruitments, and better companies hunt for the creame among all he students..... so they prefer the students with good grades.... and in better schoools, if you are getting good grades, then its assumed that you are a good student (bcos of the high standards set by the system in better schools).... hence there is more competition for the grades.......
However I will reiterate what i just wrote... if a 3.8 guy is not clear with the concepts and the job to be done, or fails to project himself appropriately, then a 3.3 guy with better knowledge might land up an offer...... So GPA or your grades are not the only criteria...
I hope u got the point I am trying to put across.....

Quote:so other than open book tests do they assess students thru objective tests?
The exam schemes depends upon the professor.. he has the ultimate power to decide the number of exams he will have in a course and also the type of exams that he will have...

Open book exams allow you to keep your notes or any reference material alongside you while taking the exam.... But be assured that being allowed to look in the reference material doesnot necessarily translate to being easy... Actually, if you are clear with the concepts and all the lectures of the prof, then you dont even need to open any book... the open book funda is very helpful when you have to refer to some formulae or mathematical expressions so that you dont have to mug them up...

sometimes , prof administers objective exams such as multiple choice exams... which actually according to my experience are the most difficult ones bcos the proffies make the exam in such a way that all the options seem to be correct Razz

Mnay times prof has a project in the course. The student will work on the project (apart from midterms, finals, homeworks, weekly quizzes etc.).. and nearing the end of the semester, the student will give a presentation to the class about what he/she has worked on .. so its fun!!!
Also taking exams here is like the one we all used to take during the good ol' days wherein we were provided papers with spece in betweeen the questions to write the answers and give that paper back... that was my first most amusing experience when i gave my first exam here... and the best part is that you dont have to write those looooooong answers to get good marks... you just put ur point across concisely .. and bam!! you are done!!!

So as far as the study systems here in the US goes... Be Consistent in your studies and you WILL make good grades...(Not like MU atleast where even if u study well , you are sometimes unsure of getting good marks Smile )... My roomie is a good example of this.. he has a 4.0 GPA since he has been here.... and am confident that it will remain so till he graduates... I am quite opposite though...Wink

Hope this helps...

The human brain has two parts - Left and Right.
The left part has nothing right in it, and the right part has nothing left in it!! Wink

Some info related to Univ of Houston - Main Campus:
http://www.edulix.com/wiki/index.php/Topic1
07-30-2005 01:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

The Maharaja Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Very informative thread.Very nice

@ Santosh

liked ur analysis.

PRACTICALITY of US educations is the success of their system and country.

Live Life The Maharaja size !
Cheers.
07-30-2005 11:09 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread