Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3.5 Average
George Washington University -MIS
vishal.wairagar Offline
Edulix Active Member

Unisearch: Link

RE: George Washington University -MIS

Hi Akshay,

Pls if you could throw some light on the below mentioned points...

1)From the earlier posts i can figure out that the cost of living is pretty high at GWU like if 4 ppl share 1 bedrum flat with a rent of about 490$ per head and food extra this is a real costly affair.

2)Also about the job scenario i have heard that in washington there are a lot of govt. companies who kinda hire the US citizens. It would be great if you could post some placement reports or list the companies who have hired the seniors and their avg pay scales.

3) One more thing on what basis do you say that GWU is better that UIC, If you take the assistantships, UIC outmasters most of the unis also the job scenario at UIC is pretty good

infobank link : http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=9333

regards ,
Vishal
Admits : CMU, Robert H, OSU(Stillwater), UIC
Rejects : TAMU
Destination : UIC
05-20-2011 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
artvandelay30 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-20-2011 06:30 PM)vishal.wairagar Wrote:  3) One more thing on what basis do you say that GWU is better that UIC, If you take the assistantships, UIC outmasters most of the unis also the job scenario at UIC is pretty good

UIC is not a respected school in America and is considered a "third tier" school. I love how the opinions of international students that have never visited campuses significantly vary from the American perspective. George Washington has an extremely beautiful campus and is respected across the northeast.

05-21-2011 03:20 AM
harvijay1001 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-21-2011 03:20 AM)artvandelay30 Wrote:  
(05-20-2011 06:30 PM)vishal.wairagar Wrote:  3) One more thing on what basis do you say that GWU is better that UIC, If you take the assistantships, UIC outmasters most of the unis also the job scenario at UIC is pretty good

UIC is not a respected school in America and is considered a "third tier" school. I love how the opinions of international students that have never visited campuses significantly vary from the American perspective. George Washington has an extremely beautiful campus and is respected across the northeast.

true! UIC is a low ranked institution but i guess most students care about post-MS jobs and Financial Aid and UIC is pretty good on those fronts! so it serves its purpose and is quite a safe option too!

ROI at UIC is amazing and the 1300$ stipend allows you to live a pretty good life... can't say the same for GWU can we?

05-21-2011 03:34 AM
artvandelay30 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-21-2011 03:34 AM)harvijay1001 Wrote:  can't say the same for GWU can we?

If you attend school to obtain a top-notch education, build a network, and obtain an internship you can't put a price on that. This website doesn't follow UIC or UTD graduates 10 years later.

05-21-2011 03:42 AM
harvijay1001 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-21-2011 03:42 AM)artvandelay30 Wrote:  
(05-21-2011 03:34 AM)harvijay1001 Wrote:  can't say the same for GWU can we?

If you attend school to obtain a top-notch education, build a network, and obtain an internship you can't put a price on that. This website doesn't follow UIC or UTD graduates 10 years later.

true again! but for someone wishing to pursue an MBA later on in their life, UIC is a good option to get good returns! this is of course talking in pure monetary terms!

and frankly, i'd rather go to a school in a good location than a better school in a terrible location(Tucson) unless that school is a top school for that course! of course this doesn't apply here because both UIC and GWU are in awesome locations!

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 04:16 AM by harvijay1001.)
05-21-2011 04:12 AM
vishal.wairagar Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-21-2011 03:34 AM)harvijay1001 Wrote:  
(05-21-2011 03:20 AM)artvandelay30 Wrote:  

true! UIC is a low ranked institution but i guess most students care about post-MS jobs and Financial Aid and UIC is pretty good on those fronts! so it serves its purpose and is quite a safe option too!

ROI at UIC is amazing and the 1300$ stipend allows you to live a pretty good life... can't say the same for GWU can we?

Exactly!!! after all the most worrying factor is the post MS jobs which is really a big worry at GWU as citizens are more preferred there... which is not at all the case in UIC.

infobank link : http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=9333

regards ,
Vishal
Admits : CMU, Robert H, OSU(Stillwater), UIC
Rejects : TAMU
Destination : UIC
05-21-2011 04:24 AM
JP_rocks Offline
Edulix Super Senior

i wish to know whether GWU accepts 2 - 2.5 yrs old GRE score?

Live in the world of WE not ME !!
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=117030
09-02-2011 08:34 PM
gagangowda10 Offline
New Edulixian

Hey Guys got admit for Spring 2012...GWU
Masters in Comp sc.
any suggestions regarding housing, and finding room mates

10-14-2011 04:19 AM
Aditya Singh Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi,

Do anyone know about GWU MEM course.

10-20-2011 05:32 PM
cmayukh Offline
Edulix Active Member

(04-19-2011 01:57 PM)akshaypsaxena Wrote:  Hey ppl,

Im a GWU MSIST student from Fall 2010 intake... This is bang in the middle of exam time so cant help you out too much.. but can give you a couple of tips... specific to MSIST program as Engineering braches are in a different school altogether...

plus points:

GWU is a great college... the school of business is very reputed along the east coast and we have amazing faculty... pretty chilled out as compared to others like Eller and UC... not in their league but ppl frm MSIST end up with jobs that have similar pay scale ... u might not get KPMG or Ernst n Young, but ull surely get a high paying job in respectable firms... so any MSIST applicants... U will get a job! dont worry about that! DC is full of job opportunities!

Defntly better than other MIS colleges such as GSU UTD UIC etc...

Best part... only 2 indians in my batch in MSIST... 1 more in spring 2011... less indians... more ul be forced to do projects with others... more ul grow... more ul learn (and less competition Very Happy) ... even SEAS (engg school) has fewer indians as compared to GMU etc...

Washington DC is a great place to live.. very lively yet peaceful... heart of the capital of US of A! everything nearby as long as u live on campus...

Downside:
Getting an on campus job will take 2 months on an average and that will usually cover rent (sharing a 1BHK with 5 ppl), phone, groceries, etc... thats it. No lavish life here unless u take money from your parents...

I dont think the School of Engineering and Applied Science is too good... People in biotech etc have a tuff time finding a job... its always easier for CS guys... and easier for MSIST guys as you can also opt for CS jobs...

Almst impossible to get a TA/GA for SEAS guys... MSIST ppl can hope to get in their 2nd sem or 3rd or so... but be ready to pay till then at least... with GA/TA u stil wnt have money fr extra stuff like trips n al... ul be hand to mouth...

More on it later! gotta paper tomorrw Razz

Cheers!Will share my id wid ppl who finalize on GWU fr sure!

Hi Akshay,
As you said there are only 2 Indians in your batch and in general Indians are very less in number at GWU, it would be very helpful if you can list some of the companies that have recruited MSIST international students along with the job type and pay-scale. Studying at GWU is definitely a costly affair and if we can roughly calculate the ROI it would help us decide whether studying at GWU is affordable or not.
Anyone else who knows about MSIST at GWU, please come forward and share your thoughts and experience.

With regards,
Mayukh

10-31-2011 11:27 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread