Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.25 Average
Undergrad Internships: why, where, when, how ?
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
RE: Undergrad Internships: why, where, when, how ?
This is a really amazing thread and has a great deal of information that will be helpful for future MS aspirants who wish to pursue internships. ApplauseApplause

Thank you Welsh Konig for such a thread

There are a few more things that I would also like to add.

International Fellowship programs

When we talk of summer internships, I think it is wise for students to even check out MITACS and DAAD the two student exchange programs.

1. The MITACS globalink is a student exchange program offering research internship opportunities to students from India, China, Brazil and Mexico. The internship duration is usually a 12 week continuous period during the summer break. In case less than 12 weeks are available for any student, they need to show an official letter from the university stating the fact. The CGPA cut off for this program is mentioned at 8.0/10. However, the selections are competitive and often the students selected have a GPA of 9.0 or above.
For more information on MITACS globalink visit http://www.mitacs.ca/globalink

2. DAAD WISE scholarship program is another student exchange program that can be looked at. The eligibility requirements for this program are quite high. Usually they look for a CGPA of >8.5/10 but selected candidates generally have their GPAs at 9.5 or more. A list of universities that are eligible for the WISE program can be found on the DAAD website.
Visit http://newdelhi.daad.de/mainFrame/home/scholarship.php for more details on DAAD scholarship programs.

Additionally, the NTU Summer Research Programme could also be a good option for anyone looking to pursue an internship abroad.
http://global.ntu.edu.sg/global/SRI/Page...ramme.aspx

These international fellowship programmes are highly competitive and depend on both Undegrad GPA and Recommendations.

Indian Fellowship programmes

As far as research is concerned, Indian research institutes surely don't lag and one can find great opportunities at places other than IIT/IISc

Here are some of the programmes one could look at.

1. Indian Academy of Scieces (IAS) Fellowship programme is a fellowship which is offered to faculty as well as students and is one of the most prestigious fellowship that an Indian can hold. http://web-japps.ias.ac.in:8080/fellowship2013/
The above link gives all details that one will require for applying for the IAS fellowship.

2. Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) offers its own fellowship programme in several disciplines right from Life Sciences to Engineering Sciences. You can find out more about the JNCASR fellowship here

3. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) offers a two month paid summer internship programme known as VSRP in Basic Sciences and Computer Science.

These internship opportunities are highly dependent on the recommendations. So, in all you need not just a decent GPA but also really strong recommendations if your GPA is not very high (<8.0/10)

List of Indian Research Institutes for Undergrad internship

Here are a list of research institutes in India where one could apply for Undergrad internships. All you need to do is go to their websites, find professors whose research interests match with that of yours and send out a mail. The chances of getting an internship thus, would be dependent not just on your interests and previous knowledge and work experience but also on the positions available with the professor or scientist you wish to work with and funding available with him.

1. Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute (CEERI) Pilani and Chennai
2. Central Scientific Instrumentation Organisation (CSIO) Chandigarh
3. Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) Dehradun
4. IISc Bangalore
5. Central Electrochemical Research Institute (CECRI) Chennai
6. Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) Mysore
7. IICT Hyderabad
8. National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) Bangalore
9. National Chemical Laboratories (NCL) Pune
10. National Physical Laboratories (NPL) Delhi
11. Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) Chennai
12. Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute Kolkata
13. NISTADS Delhi
14. IIP Dehradun
15. IMMT Bhubaneswar
16.Advanced Materials and Process Research Institute (AMPRI) Bhopal
17. IISER Pune, Kolkata
18. Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC) Bombay
19. Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research (IGCAR) Kalpakkam
20. Variable Energy Cyclotron Center (a center of BARC) Kolkata
21. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Kolkata
22. CSIR Centre for Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation Bangalore
23. Institute for Plasma Research Gandhinagar
24. Raman Research Institute, Bangalore

So, I think I have included pretty much the programs and research institutes that I had applied to in my time and think will be of great use to future MS aspirants, if they are sure of their area of interest. This is in addition to what the seniors have already mentioned in some of the previous posts before.

The idea of an internship, is to get a good research experience and learn from this experience. So, in India even if your internship isn't fully funded but it is something one would like to do, I would suggest not to negotiate and go ahead with the same. However, when you are looking for internships abroad, try to look for funding as it is not worth spending an absurd amount of money just for a brief period of time.

A small advice from my side would be to not lose hope and never give up. Remember, that if you send out 100 or more mails only then you will end up getting one or more positive replies.

So keep trying and I wish all future aspirants very good luck. Hope you all land yourself amazing internships Very Happy

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 02:31 PM by Rogue.)
03-14-2013 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
alphawhiskey21 Offline

alphawhiskey21 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Check out the internship link in my signature. It is largely applicable to Bio-students. But there are openings for other groups as well.

04-27-2013 07:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 35
Any Guide for writing mails when sending mails to professors for internships in India ????

Man is an individual only because of his intangible memory. But memory cannot be defined, yet it defines mankind.
My Infobank Link.
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=313764
04-14-2017 03:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread