A to Z about PhD
arindamsur Offline
Edulix Frequent User

arindamsur Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: A to Z about PhD
Here people are talking about every subject of PhD.expect Management/Marketing.Sad

05-20-2011 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
manasdas Offline
New Edulixian

manasdas Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 1
Please provide the links from where we can get the necessary details about phd...
10-26-2011 08:26 AM
chakri33 Offline
Edulix Active Member

chakri33 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(04-17-2011 02:31 PM)praxair1 Wrote:  Bro...101% correct....I faced some sort of situation during my undergraduate study. Even, I've seen my friends who have scored pretty good percentile in GATE and then again didn't get through the individual exams of IIT's n IISc. It's very good to say "India has an exam system and not an education system".

PhDs in India are Copy and Paste.
PhD - Doctor of Philosophy
"Doctor"ing - Manipulating (-ve meaning in general) I wonder how this got to become the name of a degree.
DSc - Doctor in Science gives a good feeling Very Happy

I know of a prof who worked for some crappy engg coll and now doing his PhD in Andhra Univ. Its connected to Underwater Ultrasonics. With a family to raise and feed, all he has is this only opportunity now and had to accept. He said, all I do for the next few years is "show the same stuff done long before in a slightly different fashion"

IIT's aren't awesome for Science, but IISc, TIFR and all other research centers that come under JEST institutes. These are the only institutes you should consider even joining, not everywhere else. Yes, there are exceptions. It usually happens your guide (in India) is a big shot, doing great work for years together, but works in some not so reputed univ, Yes you can join with all temerity, you'll be a good shot as well. BARC isn't so good as well. Not my word, but, I heard of it from a guy working there. IITs are IISc are good for Applied Physics and Engg. Even IISc doesn't do that good in Theory, nevertheless you'll have a good standing after completing your Ph.D.

More than the institute, the who's gonna be your GUIDE plays a greater role in your future career. In US, this is generally the case, not all Nobel Prize winners like to stay at Ivy Leagues. They go where they get the funds to continue their research.

Well, frankly, in India, I have been talking to a good number of students about research institutes and their Research Culture and Sutras that are followed there.

In India, there's hell lot of spoon feeding and we expect it even after Master's. Sadly, this is the fact. Good guide's brief you on what to do and leave you for the next few years supervising you intermittently.

So why Research : In Research you have the freedom to explore your creative side. Jobs don't give you a goddamn chance. You do what they says. Whereas in the academic world you are free to explore and find new ways of solving problems, be it contemporarily important or old ones in a modern way.

YES, Real research is tough, trust me, assuming you wanna be a hard core researcher.

Research - Re-Search

You synthesize new things using old facts. There's a tipping point for every researcher - where he / she ceases research work and enjoys life. This usually happens when you reach 40 or during mid 40's, when you are really fed up working which just doesn't have any immediate observable consequences.

In Engineering, this is not the case, you build a structure, invent a device, make it happen and see it, sell it and make money.

Doctoral Students as Enterpreneurs
While in India, this could rarely be witnessed, in the US, this is pretty much the case. As a Doctoral student, they discover something new, incubate it and build it for real, establish a company and sell it. Trust me, the guys become really rich. The simple reason, those devices could be used in general for Research Purposes only and Govts generally purchases such items for Defense and various military and security uses.
In US, this is a real possibility, provided you are in the Applied Physics arena, not simply Experimental or Theoretical.

As a matter of fact, Theory is just an explanation for some happening, in a rather mathematical language, concise and precise often incomprehensible and non-intuitive. Yes, theory is wonderful, when you have a mind that oozes ideas out of nowhere, but from your very thoughts random. It can be a click or a flop. But when you can explain a natural phenomena using mathematical structure never before seen cooking them up just from what you already have, you did it !!

Whats lost in doing Ph.D ?
There's something called personal lif-Marriage and Family, which is cherished by almost everybody. Until and unless you are a die hard researcher, you will accept stuff that consumes a part of your life.
It's rare to see a couple who are so mad about research. Marie and Pierre, Bryce DeWitt and Cecile DeWitt are some rare examples.
Yes, your familial obligations consume a lot of time and some time a burden, there's no way out, except a compromise on your enthusiasm to do research.

Seeing your friends with kids, wealthy, happy and well settled, it digs something out of you wanting you too to see in such a situation. You may not earn millions, but you'll get the satisfaction you always wanted in life, which I personally believe is more important than bending to societal constraints.

Oh yeah, regarding money, you always get more than enough of it. You can make more, if you associate yourself with R&D organizations, involve in pioneering projects, never before seen cutting edge applications of Science.

Applications win you money and fame. This is the fact of reality.

"Essentially you Loose Time and Money"
....to be continued.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 12:24 AM by chakri33.)
04-02-2012 09:35 PM
verybadboy Offline
Edulix Senior Member

verybadboy Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I find that everything written here regarding PhD and PhD in India, although 2 years old is still relevant in today's scenario.

I found this article about PhD on the Internet. Hope this adds value to this thread.

Matt Might Wrote:Imagine a circle that contains all of human knowledge:

[Image: 90pwgh.jpg]

By the time you finish elementary school, you know a little:

[Image: 2aac3yc.jpg]

By the time you finish high school, you know a bit more:

[Image: 9v9ws4.jpg]

With a bachelor's degree, you gain a specialty:

[Image: zwalpw.jpg]

A master's degree deepens that specialty:

[Image: 11vjkac.jpg]

Reading research papers takes you to the edge of human knowledge:

[Image: xeft41.jpg]

Once you're at the boundary, you focus:

[Image: 2e2pi77.jpg]

You push at the boundary for a few years, Until one day, the boundary
gives way. And, that dent you've made is called a Ph.D.:

[Image: 2h88jtz.jpg]

Of course, the world looks different to you now:

[Image: msmxd0.jpg]

So, don't forget the bigger picture:

[Image: 2v99njl.jpg]

Keep pushing.
Source : The Illustrated Guide to a PhD

The Mad Physicist!

Off to US. BRB Later

My Admission Kundli || My VI Experience || How to fill your Infobank

Go through posts that are marked IMPORTANT. They usually answer most of your Queries.
02-02-2013 04:38 PM
sonalifuntoosh Offline
New Edulixian

sonalifuntoosh Offline
New Edulixian

Hi..
Cud U plzz attach a 'Sample' of a 'Letter to Prof' that you feel would make a Prof take interest in the fellow..

Thanks & Best Regards
Sonali
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 01:29 AM by sonalifuntoosh.)
04-26-2014 01:28 AM
abhirupdutta4 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

abhirupdutta4 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 5
sonalifuntoosh
There are a lot of threads here on how to contact profs. Go through them. They should be helpful.

Do give me +1 rep here if my answer helped you.
I evaluate only MatSci profiles.

My VI
05-01-2014 07:11 PM
DivyaJ1 Offline
New Edulixian

DivyaJ1 Offline
New Edulixian

What is the eligibility criteria required for Integrated PhD course?

I have completed my B.Sc & I want to know about the integrated PhD course Entrance test, duration, fee details in India.

06-07-2017 04:35 PM
VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

VMEHTA Offline
Yogi

Likes Given: 5
DivyaJ1

Hi. Please provide more details and be more specific so that we can help you.

Also, fill your infobank.

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Found my posts helpful?, then please provide Reputation points HERE

My Unorthodox VI. || How to Fill Infobank || How to choose b/w colleges (Courtesy T_O) || Things to keep in mind while taking LOR
06-12-2017 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JSOMPhD Offline
Edulix Active Member

JSOMPhD Offline
Edulix Active Member

Subject: PhD Programs at the Naveen Jindal School of Management
The Jindal School of Management admits about 20 PhD students each fall into the school’s two PhD programs, the PhD in International Management Studies and the PhD in Management Science with concentrations in Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, Marketing, and Operations Management. Applications should be submitted by our priority deadline (to be given full consideration) of January 5, 2018.
Highlights of JSOM’s PhD Program:
• PhD students have access to outstanding faculty researchers, ranked number 5 worldwide in intellectual capital and research contributions (Bloomberg Business 2014 rankings, UT Dallas Top 100 Business School Rankings)
• A generous funding package, which includes over the course of your program $20,000 for conference travel and research. In addition, students receive $36,000 annually in the form of research or teaching assistantships and a tuition and fee waiver.
• Excellent career prospects. In recent years, students graduating from our program have secured academic placements in universities such as University of Minnesota, University of Florida, University of Texas at Austin, George Washington University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Chicago, and University of Kansas
For more information about our program, visit our website at http://jindal.utdallas.edu/phd-programs
A student run WhatsApp group is available to help you with the application process.
If you need help, please join the group from your smartphone here: https://chat.whatsapp.com/70PeA0CEuyV8v8iwHYukiT

We are hosting a Q&A session on Thursday, November 16th about the PhD program.

Event details can be found here: http://www.utdallas.edu/calendar/event.p...1220436979
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 09:54 AM by JSOMPhD.)
11-14-2017 09:53 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread