The COMPUTER NETWORKING Thread
rikdhua Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rikdhua Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: The COMPUTER NETWORKING Thread
Can anyone tell me which degree and concentration should I choose in UC at Santa Barabara so that most of them are networking related courses?
VMEHTA
dimpy1991
sanju694
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2016 09:25 PM by rikdhua.)
08-18-2016 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rikdhua Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rikdhua Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I have an admit in MS in telecommunications at University of Texas at Dallas. Can anyone tell me is it worth taking it and how is the course and job prospects?
03-04-2017 12:51 PM
dimpy1991 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

dimpy1991 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Please post questions regarding universities and program admits in the Post Admit Discussion Forum 2017 as this post is more relevant in that forum. There may also be other applicants with the same question and you may get responses over there.

(03-03-2017 06:25 AM)trigger777 Wrote:  I have an admit to MS in Telecommunications at Southern Methodist in Dallas. It would be really helpful if anybody could give any insight about the university or the opportunities after MS.

INFOBANK Writing Etiquette Computer Networking Thread
PM me for SOP review. Please send it as a Google doc link which is shareable
Alter your PM settings in your User CP if you wish to receive PMs
03-21-2017 02:11 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 460
Hi All:

Sorry for the late response. As I had responded off line to some of you folks, communications/telecom is no more an attractive area in the US. The buzz around it had gone long time ago mainly due to build out and no seminal innovation in the past decade or so.

My recommendation is to go after AI, data science, network security etc which have a significant momentum behind them right now.

cheers,

EE

03-28-2017 03:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 34
(03-28-2017 03:51 AM)Edulix_Editor Wrote:  Hi All:

Sorry for the late response. As I had responded off line to some of you folks, communications/telecom is no more an attractive area in the US. The buzz around it had gone long time ago mainly due to build out and no seminal innovation in the past decade or so.

My recommendation is to go after AI, data science, network security etc which have a significant momentum behind them right now.

cheers,

EE
I am assuming you are including the networking domain (Cisco, Juniper) ???

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Man is an individual only because of his intangible memory. But memory cannot be defined, yet it defines mankind.
My Infobank Link.
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=313764
05-02-2017 06:46 AM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

Likes Given: 5
Edulix_Editor

With all due respect, I seriously refute your statements. I do not know whether to call it seminal innovation or not, but something that is transforming the industry in my books is kind of seminal.

With 5G coming up, GigaBit Ethernet in the works, IoT's bandwidth needs, networking moving towards programmability and reconfigurable platforms, network virtualization, vehicular networks, I contend that it is anything but stale. I can keep going and make the list longer in terms of communication and networking. I am just not terming it "telecommunication".

trigger777

Stop posting questions about your decision inputs in a totally unrelated forum, not to mention your indiscriminate tagging. If you want to tag people, tag all of them in on post. I will do something about that next time around. I already told you this before.

Also, networking does not just mean Cisco and Juniper. Get that idea out of your head.

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:10 PM by The_Minuteman.)
05-02-2017 07:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

The_Minuteman

Excuse me.

We clarified the tagging issue way back i dunno why do you keep bringing it up.

As for "my decision inputs" i posted them in my decision thread.
I moved my query from this forum way back.

And as for any info on networking domain, Please make a detailed thread on the field so that Starters like us don't have to post stupid questions and experts like you don't need to get angry.

I am sorry to say There are super detailed threads on other fields where the respective seniors have kept them up to date with the latest information, this has made me wonder why there isn't​ one on this domain.

Now I will be thrashed for what i said or even thrown out of the forum but I am the one still asking question while there are plenty of other students who do not even know as much I know because of the again aforementioned reason.

Frankly speaking this has something​ healthy happened with ppl discussing.

I really thank Edulix_Editor for actually drawing attention to these topics, thank you sir !!! for all the guidance you have provided till date!!!!

Man is an individual only because of his intangible memory. But memory cannot be defined, yet it defines mankind.
My Infobank Link.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 08:15 PM by trigger777.)
05-02-2017 07:30 PM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

trigger777

I am not getting angry and I am not thrashing you. I just deleted a set of 6 posts from this thread about your decision to go to South Methodist, and you had tagged a ton of people here too. I missed the dates and thought that you posted here again. I should have checked that. It is just that it is basic etiquette to check if the forum that you are posting in is appropriate for your post and it irks me when people don't even do the most basic of things. Apologies if it was an older set of posts that I missed.

Yes, you are sorry to say that there are detailed threads available for other things. I am sorry to say that this is more of a volunteering thing that we do. This is not our job and no one pays use to do this. We do it as and when we get time. As for why it isn't the same for networking, I have no clue. Maybe there aren't too many network engineers out here on Edulix, maybe they don't want to, maybe any of the one million other reasons. I cannot speak for them. I myself have not been on here for more than a year or so now.

What information do you want about networking? Give me some questions that you want answered and I will put up a post when I get some time. I am not promising anything soon because I have some deadlines coming up.

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
05-02-2017 08:51 PM
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

The_Minuteman

Alright Because you offered and You clearly seem to have the time ( which you used for criticizing me) !!. .

After the tagging incident its seems as though all hell has broken loose on me. I have been in communication with a lot of seniors here on edulix and all of the conversations have been very cordial unlike as they have been with you unfortunately as you yourself mentioned there are not many network engineers hence was trying to gain your attention.(bad luck i guess)

Here are my questions as rudimentary as they sound to you i always imagined this forum where one could learn !
How big is the Networking industry ?-What all the areas that one can get into ?
( Most of the people i have talked to say its mostly troubleshooting and monitoring work, its only after a couple of years of experience that you are into designing networks )

I would like to know more about software development side of it(where and how big is the community that is into programming and what actually are they developing apart from the IOS ?

I asked around about software defined networking and most of them said that its in infancy(will take actually 20 years to implement) and many others said that its just a hype ??

Is there any actual growth that is happening I mean are the companies expanding ??

With most of the technology now being planned to be deployed through the cloud and even network scaling following the same suite how much do you see the conventional network roles to grow ???

I previously mentioned Cisco and juniper not because i think they are everything about networking but whether the fact mentioned by editor speaks for them as well ( You misconstrued I guess !!)

My questions have been asked with job perspective because I want to gain experience before I get into any kind of research.

I am sure I will get some criticism for this post as well but maybe when you are out looking for information this is how one is treated.

Well I was not born with all the answers and neither was anybody else.

My Infobank Link.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 02:45 AM by trigger777.)
05-02-2017 11:12 PM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

The_Minuteman

I very much appreciate learning from your post. It is always great to get a new perspective. Personally, I will be happy if there is a huge momentum towards telecom. Being in San Diego, with QCOM and Broadcom in the vicinity, I get to see some interesting data points. Both these companies are struggling and trying out everything possible. Of course, there are other issues like Huawei eating their lunch, lawsuits, etc; but the lack of disruptive and major change enabler activity is evident. I have also seen lots of layoffs in these industries. Kind of stagnated now. That is the angle I am coming from.Hope there is something great I am not seeing. Always willing to learn.

Cheers

EE

05-03-2017 02:25 AM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

(05-02-2017 11:12 PM)trigger777 Wrote:  @[The_Minuteman]

Alright Because you offered and You clearly seem to have the time ( which you used for criticizing me) !!. .

After the tagging incident its seems as though all hell has broken loose on me. I have been in communication with a lot of seniors here on edulix and all of the conversations have been very cordial unlike as they have been with you unfortunately as you yourself mentioned there are not many network engineers hence was trying to gain your attention.(bad luck i guess)

I was actually going to make a post for you with all the answers to your questions. But then I actually read your reply properly and it left quite a sour feeling in the mouth.

1. So basically, I offered to help. You want to take me up on the offer and in the same line, make snide remarks? Smooth. Very smooth. Not to mention totally uncalled for, especially since I said it was my mistake that I overlooked the posting dates. No, I do not have time. I have a paper deadline in 6 days and I just checked back on the Networking thread because I saw Edulix_Editor post. I really do not need to reply or do anything. And since you chose to make that snide comment, I am going to leave this in here as an example of what not to take for granted.

2. Your questions neither appear rudimentary to me, nor do I think that there exist any dumb questions. I have no intention, time or energy to make judgment calls about anyone under the sun. I have enough on my plate.

3. Just because I give you a piece of my mind does not mean I cannot be cordial or anything. You appear to make up your mind about things preemptively and with great extrapolation.

4. You were right that you would get criticized for the post. Like I said, I was actually going to take the time out to write the post for you. Because of your attitude, I really do not want to take the time out. Find someone else in the interim or wait till I actually have the time.

P.S : This post took me all of five minutes to compose and post. So, no, I did not waste my precious time criticizing you. Brick wall

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 08:49 AM by The_Minuteman.)
05-03-2017 08:49 AM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

(05-03-2017 02:25 AM)Edulix_Editor Wrote:  @[The_Minuteman]

I very much appreciate learning from your post. It is always great to get a new perspective. Personally, I will be happy if there is a huge momentum towards telecom. Being in San Diego, with QCOM and Broadcom in the vicinity, I get to see some interesting data points. Both these companies are struggling and trying out everything possible. Of course, there are other issues like Huawei eating their lunch, lawsuits, etc; but the lack of disruptive and major change enabler activity is evident. I have also seen lots of layoffs in these industries. Kind of stagnated now. That is the angle I am coming from.Hope there is something great I am not seeing. Always willing to learn.

Cheers

EE

I partially agree with what you are saying. But you are looking at the industry from the perspective of chip makers for the telecommunication industry. Actually, Broadcomm is doing some really good work in networking. They have quite openly embraced network programmability and pushing to bring new things to the table.

Absence of innovation in a sub-area does not necessarily indicate the absence of innovation in the sector. I am focusing more on the technical aspects and the innovation that is evident architecturally and design-wise, rather than just focusing on hardware innovation. That is what I meant when I said there is innovation all around. If you are interested, take a look at the Open Compute Project. FaceBook just open-sourced all their datacenter designs for anyone to build. P4 is a very well thought out network programming language that probably is a by-product of the SDN and network programmability paradigm. SmartNICs are becoming increasingly popular in today's NFV driven world. Netronome is doing some great work there. Gigabit and Terabit Ethernet is on the way. VANETs are trying to leverage the power of 4G/5G to achieve greater goals.

So, in a nutshell, I think innovation is far from dead in the sector. Hardware has stagnated and until there is, in your words a seminal breakthrough in nanoscale architectures, the status quo in CMOS design will exist. But that, only the future will tell.

05-03-2017 08:57 AM
Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Edulix_Editor Offline
Administrator

Absolutely agree. Innovation can never die or slow down for that matter. I agree that I am talking more from the final outcome perspective, which is a momentum and hype in a certain industry. This is driven by a combination of several things. Also I need to emphasize that seminal innovations do not always translate to a market hype, at least immediately. They often take time.

In summary, however, there is no question that there is a slowdown in the hype for telecoms. I really hope it changes soon.

Cheers

EE

05-03-2017 08:33 PM
trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

trigger777 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Regret what has happened i am not the person, which would seem otherwise.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My Infobank Link.
05-09-2017 07:33 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread