Moderator Emeritus

confused_girl Away
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
How to publish your work: Nitish's thread
Some Basic Pointers -- HOWTO Publish your work

A very warm greetings friend.

There has already been a lot of discussion on how to build up and bolster a profile for being an MS applicant. A very immediate and the most concerned aspect is fetching a publication in a decent peer reviewed conference or a journal.

Following are a few pointers that I think must be helpful for a starter basis. Some of the text below is directly pasted from my replies which you might have read in a couple of threads of Academia forum.

The very basic steps one should normally go through are:

1) Prepare your concept well. Do, put in efforts to validate your claims and proposals by means of providing quantitative as well as qualitative analysis. There are many more things to be taken care of, like comparison with existing technologies, review of reference papers etc.

2) Once you are done with this, visit Upcoming Conferences sponsored by IEEE for information about the core IEEE conferences. On a serious note, there are many organizations which simply quote "IEEE" in their brochure or on the website, but if the conference if actually an IEEE conference, it should be listed in the link above .

3) Visit the conference's website and go through the tracks along with "Important Dates" section wherein you will find the deadlines for paper submissions.

4) Once you chose the conference, download the template (format) the conference requires you to submit your paper in. Follow this template thoroughly, because the reviewers are very particular about it. Now, format the paper accordingly.

5) The website will have the instructions for the submission of paper. There are many websites that these conferences are in contact with, for instance EDAS and EasyChair. You will have to make an account on this website and then upload the manuscript of your paper.

6) After the successful submission, you will receive an email confirmation and the review process will be started.

7) Keep your fingers crossed and wait for the formal acceptance of the paper.

8) Once selected, there can be 2 things depending on the conference.

a) The conference might not require you to present the paper for indexing at IEEE xplore and IEEE CSDL. Go ahead, simply register for the conference, and your paper will be published.

b) The conference mandates you to present the paper for indexing at IEEE Xplore and IEEE CSDL. Go ahead, simply register and attend the conference, and your paper will be published and indexed then.

Your registrations etc will be taken care of online through the websites I mentioned above.

Let me comment on the qualitative aspect of the recent trends.

1) A Journal, is generally considered to be more reputed than an International research paper, which you might present at a conference. The impact factor of journals is quite higher than that of papers. Although, there are some conferences which are excessively reputed as well, least to mention, at par with Journals. Acceptance of paper in these conferences might be very very difficult as well.

2) You can judge the level of Journal by the fact that some of the "best" papers of a conference are invited to be published in a Journal after a technical extension of the same.

3) A Journal is virtually more comprehensive, than a Research paper.

4) Acceptance rate of Journals is quite lesser than that of conferences.

5) There is an availability of Free Journals, again these are the ones that are highly reputed in their fields. On the contrary, for a research paper it is mandatory that at least one of the authors should register for the conference if the paper is required to be published.

6) There are paid journals as well. But I would not recommend you to go for these.

7) You will receive the result of a research paper within 2-3 months, but a Journal might take as long as 6 months for the review purposes. The reviewers of a Journal are rather more particular about the content. In fact it may require at least 4-5 correspondences with reviewers and redrafts prior to the final submission for getting published.

8) You have to adhere to the dates, strictly for a paper submission to a conference. However, there are certain Journals that are open for submission, 24x7. You may simply submit and wait for the comments of the reviewers.

There can be various scenarios you might wish to mention in your SOP:

For paper already published:

Of course it is needed to be mentioned. In case of International Conferences of IEEE, the indexing of the paper on IEEE Xplore and CSDL takes about a month of so. So, in case Conference is held in July, indexing might come up as late as August.

For not being able to present:

Some conferences mandate that one of the authors should register with the conference and present the paper, if it is to be indexed on IEEE Xplore. (I remember that an IEEE conference in Malaysia required so !). As far as I think, INDICON will not mandate you to present the paper. So, even if you do not present, your paper will get published. I was willing to go to Russia in October, but could not. Still the paper is published, after I had registered.

Value for having presented the paper:

These days, a worse scenario has come up. If A and B actually write the paper, they may also incorporate the name of C as a co-author. For instance, a teacher includes the name of his/her student (of course to improve his/her CV, as such), even when the student has done nothing to add to the published research. So, paper presentation sort of validates the contribution to the paper. I am saying so because a person who has done absolutely nothing in a publication cannot stand the questions being asked by the researchers and scientists at an International podium. Thus, if someone knows that you have presented your paper, it would boost your validity of research work.

For your paper under review :

Mention that your paper titled as "ABC" is written on the topic "123" and is under review process at the International Conference "XYZ". I guess it would not add a very significant value, but least to mention, it should add to your credentials for you would already have another research paper. So, my take is that yes include both of these.

Conclusion:

1) You have to mention both of these in your SoP.
2) In case you are not able to present the paper, don't worry and do not mention anything about the presentation anywhere in your SoP.
3) Check out with conference whether they allow publication without presentation. I think they would. In case you aren't able to, let me know I will find it out with them.
You cannot index your paper on IEEE, all by yourself. The conference chair has to submit the papers for the indexing and archiving. Additionally, prior to final submission of the manuscript, you by your consent will have to transfer the copyrights to IEEE as well. Have you filled this copyright form ?

Once indexed, the copy of the paper will have an impression of IEEE Computer Society (for instance), DOI (Digital Object Identifier), Conference's name, Page numbers of the proceedings, Cost of the paper (for instance USD 25) etc. You, by no means can yourself index a paper anywhere, be it IEEE, DBLP, ACM, Springer Link etc.

Though it might be difficult, you may request the conference's general chair to submit the paper for indexing. See if any of your co-author can attend the conference.

Archiving would probably mean that your paper would be in official records of IEEE. This means that if asked for, IEEE will be able to present your paper's copy to the buyer. They might use the ISBN number of the proceeding's copy for this.

Indexing means that your paper will be "indexed" on the online database of Xplore or CSDL. Herein, you will have a unique DOI allotted to your paper.
________________________________________________________________________________​​__________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following are some of the most reputed indexing services and the links to Journals and Magazines:
1) IEEE Xplore Digital Library
2) IEEE Journals and Magazines
3) IEEE Author's Toolbox
4) The British Library
5) The Thomson Reuters
6) EI Compandex
7) Science Citation Index (TR)
8) Elsevier Journals
9) Springer Link Journals

06-17-2010 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Electronvolts Offline