Electronvolts Offline
Super Moderator Emeritus

Electronvolts Offline
Super Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 39
Unisearch: Link
Thinking of taking GRE again: Read this once
Thinking of taking GRE again: Read this once by Liverpool

This thread is for those edulixian’s who are thinking of taking GRE again, but are refraining to take it again:

I willl begin with my story. 12 Jan 2009 I took my GRE date. Studied like hell for this exam to get high score. I always use to score in 1300-1450 range. 12 Jan I still remember each and every bit of that day. As the verbal section was going my mind was overdriven by thoughts, screwed up with the words even though I knew the meaning. I realized wat real fear was. Even greater than the fear u vl feel when proposing a girl of ur dreams (conditions apply). Some how was unable to recollect the words(spend months to make it perfect), cracking the big RC’s the growing tension and ended up wit 350 in verbal(1140). GOD I never got such a score in my first prac test also. Walkd out completely disheartened as if the world has ended for me. Days passed at one point even thought of switching to MBA also(thank god I didn’t switched). June I joined eduliux saw many post like 1400 what my chances in the followind univs are. Everytime I use to c a post like this made me remind the day that bloody day. I was about to start applying to the univ’s, posted a prof eval post. Seniors speed and ameyakk suggested me take it again. Thanx a lot sir. Thinking about and univ if my score was a little higher I wud have made it to the univ. Some how I was able to regain the confidence lets take a shot at it again. took GRE date 28 dec2009 before applying. Ended up in scoring 1400(630 V). Was the happiest person on earth on that day.

So guys those who are thinking of taking GRE again in the hope that “I dint got wat i deserve and my score cud have been much better “. GO on . 8000 bugs doesn’t matter when ur ready to spend 15-20 lac for the tution fees. At least for the rest of ur life u vl never have a REGRET that I cud I done my MS from a better univ.

Hope I am successful in enlightening some of the minds and able to boost those ppl confidence who are thinking of taking GRE again.

Go through this it might be helpful.

How do schools look at multiple GRE scores?(courtesy: Powerscore.com)
At the current time, GRE Board policy is to retain a record of all your GRE scores from the past five years, so students who have taken or are considering taking the GRE more than one time often worry that the multiple scores will adversely impact their chances for admission. Fortunately, there is no evidence that multiple scores hurt your application chances, and at many schools, additional scores—especially if higher—increase your chances of admission1.

A review of graduate school admission policies reveals two basic approaches to how they handle multiple GRE scores2:

1. All scores are reviewed, and score increases are emphasized
Many schools consider your portfolio of GRE performances, but they place special emphasis on score increases.

For example, the University of Michigan states:
The Admissions Committee will be given all of the applicants’ scores. We do not average them nor do we take the higher or lower scores. Improvement in scores will be taken into consideration.
This means that all scores will be viewed by the admissions board, but a noticeable score increase will be given the most attention. This is great news for students who do not score as well as they would like on their first attempt.

2. All scores are reviewed, and the best individual section score is taken Other schools look at each performance and they take your best individual score from each section. Yale University, for example, is a school that takes your highest composite score:
GRE scores are but one of many criteria used to evaluate an applicant. Individual department’s practices may differ, but overall the best score from each section is used. However, you must submit ALL of your GRE scores in order to have the department consider the highest from each section.

To better understand this policy, consider the case of an applicant who takes the GRE two separate times with the following results:

First GRE results:
Verbal = 620
Quantitative = 510
Writing = 4.0

Second GRE results:
Verbal = 700
Quantitative = 500
Writing = 5.0

Yale, and many other schools, would use the 510 Quantitative score from the first test, and the 700 Verbal and 5.0 Writing score from the second test. This “best section performance” approach is a great benefit to applicants because it diminishes the effects of a poor performance on a single section of the GRE.

Neither of the two approaches described above is unfavorable to candidates with multiple scores. But, because different schools have different policies regarding multiple scores, you should contact each individual school and inquire about their multiple score policy. Understanding how the schools will use your scores places you in the best position to make an informed decision about whether to take the GRE again or whether your admission chances have been hurt by multiple tests you took in the past.

You should also note that some graduate programs put much more weight on a specific section of the GRE than on other sections. For example, if you were applying to an English program, the admissions committee would likely pay more attention to your verbal score and less attention to your quantitative score.

Also, keep in mind that if you do not feel as though you have performed as well on the GRE as you would like, you can always cancel your score before it becomes official (although a score cancellation notice will still appear on your permanent record).

ATB.

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2010 10:40 PM by Electronvolts.)
06-21-2010 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sankalpa1 Offline
New Edulixian

sankalpa1 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
RE: Thinking of taking GRE again: Read this once
good article buddy!

08-21-2010 08:19 PM
NickRobheart Offline
Edulix Associate

NickRobheart Offline
Edulix Associate

Vivek bhai is back Very Happy

Im Nick & Im Alcoholic

InfoBank | PS Mega Thread | Helpful Guide
08-21-2010 08:42 PM
Dragonball Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Dragonball Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Nice article Applause. Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote: I realized wat real fear was. Even greater than the fear u vl feel when proposing a girl of ur dreams (conditions apply).
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Never ever give up!
Infobank
08-21-2010 11:16 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
@all

Rep Liverpool as well for that article, he's the original author and deserves a fair share of the due credit too.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
08-21-2010 11:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
rajneeshml Offline
New Edulixian

rajneeshml Offline
New Edulixian

Good read. I'm in a similar dilemma. I have a score of 1370 with 730 in Quantitative section. Looks like I could do with the second test. Smile

09-09-2010 10:35 PM
funkynerd Offline
Edulix Active Member

funkynerd Offline
Edulix Active Member

nice post bro...even i faced the similar situation...i worked very very hard...but in first attempt(8 september) i got tensed and dint complete the quants itself.....got very low score(q-630 v-500)..i was depressed to the core.....i thought its the end to all my dreams...then i took the test again next month itself.....this is the BIG mistake which i did...i should have had some break....but i booked the exam next month itself fearing that there will not be any dates....i shouldnt have done that......i had this gre phobia which got developed with in myself....i gave my 2nd attempt on october 1st....this time my oly motive was to complete the quants section soon (This is the main blunder which i did).....infact i made many guesses too....this time also my score was low (q-710 v -480)...i was sad once again....i advice you ppl not to get tensed and not to urge urself during the test....anyways am not gonna write again.....since my field of interest is chemical and environmental....am planning to apply with same score...hope they consider my best score......Sad...

10-28-2010 08:41 PM
uskr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

uskr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

This is the thread inspired me to take GRE again.
I was so disheartend after my attempt, I ended up at 1090 ( 780 + 310).
I have given my second attempt recently and got 1340 ( 790, 550). Thanks for Liverpool and edulix . Friends don't discourage yourselves if you endup at bad scores. Smile

11-11-2010 08:50 AM
tarunsingh Offline
Edulix Frequent User

tarunsingh Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nice post .. !! helped me i am thinking about a retake ..

01-23-2011 02:01 AM
krissh1368 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

krissh1368 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Recently i gave GRE and got a score of 1300(800 quant, 500 verbal). I am in dilemma to take GRE again or not, as i was expecting to get around 1400. I have a CGPA of 9.3(mechanical) and work ex of two years. I desperately want to get a good college with scholarship. So, please help me get over this dilemma.
02-10-2011 08:22 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
^ Please have a look at the 2 links, in my signature, at the bottom of this post. Create a UniSearch profile for yourself, update it with all relevant details & attach it in your own signature.

And I honestly wouldn't suggest a retake right now, for the Fall 2011 intake, and your score's not too bad either. So, if at all you feel your profile is lacking, try to make up for it in other ways, such as some research publications (if possible, of course).

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
02-11-2011 06:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Liverpool Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

Liverpool Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

I will go with the admin. He has put it in the best way possible Smile

*** Respect the forum rules ***
No duplicate posts - No textese - No advertisements - No useless "thank you" posts - No meaningless thread titles- No thread hijacking.

ECE SpecializationThread | PROFILE | RetakeGRE? | Deadlines and Intake | Pre Departure Expenses | My VI | Profile Evaluators | Admits/Rejects 2011
03-19-2011 02:15 PM
GRE1300 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

GRE1300 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
Hi,which is the best place for admission counselling in Bangalore.My score is 1300 (V-600) & Quanta -700 & got 8 yrs exp in MNCs

03-27-2011 07:29 PM
shre28491 Offline
New Edulixian

shre28491 Offline
New Edulixian

1320 (760Q 560V)
B.tech(production Engineering), NIT Trichy
8.13/10

Internship at ashok Leyland
Worked under a prof in IIT madras during Second year holidays( no certificate but ended up learning Pro/E, design sofware)
Member of Baja Sae team which makes dirt racing vehicles.
Will be doing summer Internship in germany in the area of vehicle Transmission.

Interested in MS(automotive engineering)
how are the Chances of admit in Ohio state, Clemson, NCSU, etc?

Am confused whether to write GRE again or not. Please help!

Applying for fall 2012
04-03-2011 08:39 AM
Sol Invictus Away
Edulix Senior Member

Sol Invictus Away
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 12
@ shre28491

This is not the right way to get your profile evaluated. Make a unisearch profile first using this tutorial,
tag it to your signature and then post in the appropriate forums.
Seniors will then evaluate your profile based on the universities you choose.

Also, to answer the second part of your question, 1320 is a perfectly decent score. You dont need to give GRE again.

Go Big Red! Go Cornell!!
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2011 11:40 AM by Sol Invictus.)
04-03-2011 11:38 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread