Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Abhi1888 Offline

Likes Given: 15
Unisearch: Link
VERY IMPORTANT - READ THIS FIRST------12 Step guide for Canadian Applicants
Hello Everyone,

From last few days I'm regularly coming across threads and PMs in which people ask to evaluate their profile. Since they neither mention their research interests nor provide list of the universities, that makes it impossible to evaluate the profiles. So please follow the below mentioned steps before posting profile eval requests.

Other Important threads

1. MIS type of courses in Canada

2. ECE related courses in Canada

Step 1: Decide your research interests - In this task no one can help you, you have to do this on your own. And please refrain from asking questions like - "Which field has more money ?" Wink

Step 2 : Read the Complete Reference for Canadian Applicants thread for basic introduction to Canadian application process. Here you will find a list of universities in Canada (some good ones only, for detailed list click here.)

Step 3 : After you have the list of universities, see the relevant research according to your interest going on labs. Note the number of profs working in that field, because number of profs is directly proportional to chances of admit. Smile Also have a look at the current students in the labs, if they have provided link to their home page, have a look at it.
[ P.S. - If possible try contacting them, usually they can provide better insights about openings in the labs, funding with the prof. ]

Step 4 : Mention your details in the thread which is meant for the applicants that year. By this you can interact with your fellow appers and share information.

Step 5 : List down the universities in which you find the research relevant. With this mention your complete profile, include your UG university, UG grades, project details, relevant work ex, details about your research experience if you have any, scores, publications................ and other relevant details.

Step 5 A :Also take a note that evaluating a profile for Canadian universities is highly unpredictable unlike their US counterparts. The key factors are : how strong the university is in your research area, how many professors are working in that particular field, how much good matching is there between you and your professor and so on. As you can see that these questions can be best answered by you and ONLY you. We can only give you a rough guideline. Nothing more than that. (courtesy :MadWiFi Very Happy )

Step 6 : After this when you have finalized the universities, then list down the required documents for each university. This includes no. LORs, transcripts, ....................... Also some universities do not ask directly for GRE scores but if you will read the international applicant requirements they have clearly mentioned that if your UG is not from Canada/ US then you need to submit GRE scores. Anyways its always better to submit scores since they are helpful for them to scrutinize the applications if you are not from a well known UG university.
SOP - there is no special statement of purpose required for the Canadian Univ, just stick to the word limit or the page limit mentioned. Draw out your research interests clearly in SOP.

Step 7 : Submit applications, some days before the deadline, so you have enough time to send any missing docs. Also your transcripts much reach there on time.

Step 8 : After your application is sent for faculty review, comes the task of "Prof - letting" (Spamming Razz Wink Laughing ). Click here for more details.
Also please don't expect that somebody will write emails for you. We can only correct your mistakes or guide you how to write, Edulix has enough related material, and believe me its awesome. And please don't request any senior to write a mail for you from scratch or send the one he wrote for himself. Help yourself and others will surely help you Smile.

Step 9 : Wait for the results, mention them in Results from Canadian Universities thread. This will be helpful for future appers as well as help you in finding people from same univ.

Step 10 : For visa procedure refer this thread.

Step 11 : Return to Edulix what you have gained from it - KNOWLEDGE, help future appers and if possible start university specific thread of your university in the appropriate forum. Smile

@Everyone - Please suggest any corrections or additions to make it better.

I'm no longer active, try contacting other active members in the Canadian Forum.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2010 11:46 AM by Abhi1888.)
10-05-2010 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user
a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
RE: 11 Step guide for Canadian Applicants
Step 0 : join edulix and read this thread Smile .

As you are already aware of the strengths and weaknesses of several Canadian universities, can we have a specialization post ( in this thread itself) about Canadian universities. Like in one thread, you remarked that McGill has a good SWE program . And well, i know that Waterloo kicks ass in AI . Something on those lines would be a good document for people to know more about which canadian schools are good at what.

Rarely on Edulix. If you need AI/ML help, someone will help you reach out.

Good luck with your applications, and if you are ever in Vancouver, let me know.
10-05-2010 01:26 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

RE: 11 Step guide for Canadian Applicants
@a7x - Actually I know about universities, but will require help of seniors especially porusjpatell, and Fall 11 appers since they are in touch with on going research in their area of interests, since for its not possible to visit each and every lab and department webpage. Smile

Software Engineering

1. McMaster University - They have a dedicated department for SE, and university situated in Ontario, near many Software Companies

2. University of Calgary - Have a large number of profs working on several areas of SE from Requirements Engineering, Software Evolution to Reuse.

3. University of Victoria - Department is small, but have some interesting research going on.

4. UBC - 2 or 3 profs working in SE.

5.Mcgill
P.S. soon I will add to it.

I'm no longer active, try contacting other active members in the Canadian Forum.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 02:14 PM by Abhi1888.)
10-05-2010 01:48 PM
MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

RE: 12 Step guide for Canadian Applicants
STEP 5(A): if you need information specifically on computer network, do contact me.LaughingLaughing
and also take a note that evaluating a profile for canadian universities is highly unpredictable unlike their US counterparts. The key factors are : how strong the university is in your research area, how many professors are working in that particular field, how much good matching is there between you and your professor and so on. As you can see that these questions can be best answered buy you and ONLY you. We can only give you a rough guideline. Nothing more than that. Smile

Not active in edulix now-a-days. Please shoot me an email iff its extremely urgent. I am not doing any profile evaluation till Fall 12. Thanks
My VI
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 02:38 PM by MadWiFi.)
10-05-2010 02:09 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

@piyali - you didn't follow step 4 ?MadMadMad and mention Universities good for Computer Networks.

10-05-2010 02:13 PM
a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

@Abhi , oh yeah , that would be necessary . Maybe we can ask him to use upcoming holidays ,if any , and let him post whatever he knows. Also, i think there was a guy from UBC who was answering queries on Mech@UBC. Can we see if he is still active ? Also can we know more about Montreal Smile considering how good it is for quite a few other things as well( hope you catch the drift Very Happy )
Lets ask if someone wants to volunteer. Every one can choose one particular university to study and post results on. I am in .I can help better if its Toronto or UBC as i have already seen them quite a bit. All can mail you the results and you can aptly summarize them and post it. Its not a one-man job .
University of Alberta is having decent amount of research going on in NLP. Waterloo is amazing for AI. ( if it helps, they are organizing the Google AI challenge this year . If it helps some more, they are pretty damn selective) . UBC is good for Machine Learning. Maybe good for more too but i haven't gone through it all yet. Kevin Murphy is a name i see often from there.

Good luck with your applications, and if you are ever in Vancouver, let me know.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 02:32 PM by a7x.)
10-05-2010 02:25 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

++1 a7x

And that person at Mech@UBC is falconfight she's a gal Wink. But I think she is no longer active.

We have a CS guy from Mcgill - Sanket Joshipura, probably he can give better insights on Montreal region Smile.
Quote:Lets ask if someone wants to volunteer. Every one can choose one particular university to study and post results on. I am in .I can help better if its Toronto or UBC as i have already seen them quite a bit. All can mail you the results and you can aptly summarize them and post it. Its not a one-man job .

That will be great, we can start a thread and post all our findings/details in that. After the job is done, anyone of us can put that into proper format in a new thread. I will post an official announcement regarding that and those who are interested can take the responsibilities. Will it be alright ?

10-05-2010 02:56 PM
MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

@abhi: I just added some more points. That was not an official post. Will do that also soon.

Not active in edulix now-a-days. Please shoot me an email iff its extremely urgent. I am not doing any profile evaluation till Fall 12. Thanks
My VI
10-05-2010 02:58 PM
a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

No, i distinctly remember a guy . I do remember falconfight. But there was a guy who was answering questions on UBC specific thread. He answered like 3 4 of them , in one of which he said that the Indian association there is active and the UBC site is very helpful and navigable. Yeah , new thread on that would be pretty appropriate. Either we can do it university wise or we can do it specialization wise. Like Piyali for networks, i for ML/IR/NLP and so on and so forth . We can also ask people like DesiLinguist coz he knows just about everyone.

10-05-2010 03:08 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

Ohhk, probably I never came across any of his posts. Smile

I think Specialization wise will be better, since a person who is interested in a field knows what kinda research is going on and can better judge its quality.
What do you say ?

Yeah will surely ask Desilinguist, taro..... since they have a knowledge about everywhere. Smile

10-05-2010 03:13 PM
a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

a7x Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Yeah , lets go with the specialization thingy.

10-05-2010 03:15 PM
MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

taro once said me he does not know much about canadian universities apart from the top 4. But still we can ask him.

My VI
10-05-2010 03:17 PM
murtuza10 Offline
Edulix Active Member

murtuza10 Offline
Edulix Active Member

@abhi

U can add concordia univ for software engg.
As discussed earlier, univ seems pretty decent

10-05-2010 04:40 PM
animator Offline
Edulix T-designer

animator Offline
Edulix T-designer

AFAIK

1)University of Victoria, waterloo, toranato and Queens : Good for Mech (I have mentioned only universities I went thru)

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 07:11 PM by animator.)
10-05-2010 07:10 PM
jayadreams Offline
Edulix Active Member

jayadreams Offline
Edulix Active Member

From the research i did while applying,
Queen's has a very good computer science program. I was seeing the research going on in HCI there. So I could help with giving details about that!
@ Abhi, A7x, Piyali
Very Good Initiative. Would definitely be very useful for future applicants!

Final Destination University of Calgary
My Profile
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 10:29 PM by jayadreams.)
10-05-2010 10:27 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread