parents on tourist visa
Saikrishna2008 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Saikrishna2008 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
parents on tourist visa
what is the formalities for obtaining visitors visa for parents. Will student ID card do

11-21-2010 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sweetsmith
Unregistered

RE: parents on tourist visa
Yeah, want to know too. Or does it require more documents for proofs
03-30-2011 02:02 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Yesdeee Offline
Account not Activated

Yesdeee Offline
Account not Activated

You may find the following useful, given by Pranesh sometime back. Hope this will hold good now also.

My parents just got their visas a day back, so just thought I could share some details behind it. Might help a few in the future may be

Visa Type : B2 (Visitor for pleasure).

Reason : To attend my commencement (though they will be visiting me after my commencement, this is a good reason to go)

Appointment : Paying the HDFC Visa and MRV fee is all the same as normal F1 visas. When taking a slot for the VI, make sure you make your dad as the applicant and mom as the co-applicant. This way they can attend the VI together.

Sponsoring the trip : The student doesn't necessarily need to sponsor the trip. Your parents can sponsor themselves. It is good to show a reasonable amount in the bank (a minimum of 5-6 lakhs probably).

Documents required from your parents : Leaving aside the common documents like Passport, Visa application etc. It is good to have the following with them.

1. Proof of employment in India.
2. A NOC from the employer stating that your mom and/or dad is just going on a short leave and will be returning to work.
3. Bank statements /Passbooks.
4. IT returns (2 years preferably)
5. FDs /Shares/ etc. whatever is applicable.
6. Invitation letter sent by the student / univ (Some univs don't provide the invite but that is not a problem).
7. Proof of graduation of the student(a copy of the approved degree petition - can take it online from univ registrar's site)
8. Unofficial transcripts (optional)
9. Proof of enrollment of the student.
10. I-20 and I-94 of the student.
11. Passport / Visa copies of the student.

Some documents are optional but if it makes you comfortable in having all of them in hand, no harm.

And finally, here is how their VI went. The VI was scheduled for 8am / 8th April / Chennai Consulate.

7:15 - Reached the gate, stand in the queue outside the consulate.
7:30 - Allowed in. Document checking and they put the visa application, passport(s), fee receipt in their green folder.
7:45 - Made to wait in the actual VI area with the counters not open yet.
8:00 - VOs came in one by one and called people along.
8:05 - Mom n Dad goto window #5 and here is how the VI went.
Quote:

Dad : Good morning Officer [aaapicer ] (Mom slides in the green folder with mandatory docs)
VO : Oh good morning, thank you !
VO : So, Who is there in the US of A.
Dad : My Son studies there, so we're going to visit him.
VO : Which school does he go to ?
Dad : Georgia Tech, Atlanta.
VO : Oh, so you must be going for his graduation.
Dad : Yes Madamme, we are.
VO : So are you working here ? For how long ?
Dad : Yes, I've been working as the head of XYZ for 30 years.
VO : That is good. Your Visa has been issued. Have a nice trip.
Dad : Thanks a lot ! Have a great day.

Mom : No interview for me ? Dad pulls mom away and runs from there
04-13-2011 09:58 AM
Sherlock Holmes Offline
Administrator

Sherlock Holmes Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 50

I will not be replying to PMs and tags, will reply to threads as and when I get time.

How to use Edulix?
Read this for Cornell Queries.
Read this and paste URL of your thread before sending a PM for Profile Evaluation. No emails.
Post here for Embedded Systems related queries.
04-18-2011 02:38 PM
ayushkhemka Offline
Edulix Active Member

ayushkhemka Offline
Edulix Active Member

Parents' Visa got approved today
My parents are going to the US to attend my brothers convocation ceremony (That's what they said, never intended to Razz)
Application form
The process for applying online is the same as students. Visa type is B2 and not B1/B2. That needs to be taken care of. After completing the application for one of the parents (preferably dad), there's an option to fill out a family application. This is where u need to apply for your mom. And its better to mention the other parent's name in the co-traveler field for each parent.
After you take the appointment for one of your parents (again dad preferred), you'll get an option to add co-workers in which you can fill up a maximum of 6 people. Fill out your details for your other parent.
Documents Needed
Same as the ones above. Apart from this, after you complete the process of taking an appointment date, you are provided with three download links on the website. One is the appointment letter, one tells us which all documents u need to submit 3 days before the interview. The third one tells the documents needed at the time of interview. The documents mentioned in there are quite an information.
Visa interview
The time for the interview was 9:00am. We reached there by 8:15am just to find a huge line for the interview. The watchman told me that there were 300 odd people for the interview at the same time, i.e. 9:00am. Even then, my parents were allowed inside the gate by 8:55am. My parents didn't tell me clearly about the interaction, but here are few questions they were asked. And they were asked only to my dad, mom was silent during the whole interview. And yes, they opted for an interview in Hindi. When they went inside, there was this interviewer sitting with a translator at her side with the mic.

1. Why are you going there?
  2. Do you have any other children?
  3. What work do you do?
  4. What is your annual income?
  5. What other people stay with you? Are you part of a joint family?
  6. Who will handle your business (coz my dad is in a business) after you?

The invitation letter provided by the university is very important in this case. When the interviewer prepared the green envelope, my parents put the letters on top of the envelope for the interviewer to see it.
Don't know for how many years/months their visa's have been approved. Will update as soon as I come to know.

04-17-2012 11:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ayushkhemka Offline
Edulix Active Member

ayushkhemka Offline
Edulix Active Member

forgot to update
my parents' visa got approved for 10 years. even siblings get 10 years of visa.

04-27-2012 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Wololo Offline
Admin Emeritus

Likes Given: 70
Yes, most tourist visas are ten years barring extenuating circumstances.

I no longer have the time, and have not kept up with the trends to give profile evaluations. Please only tag me if you have general queries about my school, life in the US, internships/jobs and the like.

There's always a relevant xkcd - http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/f86afa98e0...f52d15.png
04-27-2012 07:12 PM
day_dreams Offline
Edulix Active Member

day_dreams Offline
Edulix Active Member

I have already graduated and have started working. I want my parents to come and visit me. Hence I cannot get a letter for convocation.
Also, my parents are retired. So it could be difficult.
Any pointers?
also, Does any one know any visa agent in Pune area to help me get it done?

Thanks Very Happy

01-14-2013 02:30 PM
anew Away
Baba Sehgal Fan

anew Away
Baba Sehgal Fan

day_dreams

You need an affidavit of support and an invitation letter,that's more than sufficient for documents from your end. Just say that they want to visit you, and you want to show them around USA. Other than those, they will require the standard sets of documents.

Profile Evaluation Guide || Unisearch Tutorial || My Visa Interview

Search/EduGoogle: Good | Spam: Not so Good
01-14-2013 10:20 PM
d.Shaloam Offline
New Edulixian

d.Shaloam Offline
New Edulixian

Hey ... I am currently a PhD student. My parents would like to stay with me since they have nobody back home to take care of them. I have my uncle and sister staying in states. My uncle sent papers and included my sister's information, when they applied for visa for first time (November 2011). At this time, I was in India pursuing Master's degree. Unfortunately, their visa got rejected because the Visa Officer thought that they would become potential immigrants. Basically, my dad is a church pastor and mom is home maker, we don't have any assets. But, I really want to bring them here and take care of them. Can I send papers and include all my family members name in the application or what best option is good ? Please shoot your ideas Rolling Eyes !!!
08-12-2014 08:17 AM
parthshiras Offline
New Edulixian

parthshiras Offline
New Edulixian

(04-17-2012 11:52 AM)ayushkhemka Wrote:  Parents' Visa got approved today
My parents are going to the US to attend my brothers convocation ceremony (That's what they said, never intended to Razz)
Application form
The process for applying online is the same as students. Visa type is B2 and not B1/B2. That needs to be taken care of. After completing the application for one of the parents (preferably dad), there's an option to fill out a family application. This is where u need to apply for your mom. And its better to mention the other parent's name in the co-traveler field for each parent.
After you take the appointment for one of your parents (again dad preferred), you'll get an option to add co-workers in which you can fill up a maximum of 6 people. Fill out your details for your other parent.
Documents Needed
Same as the ones above. Apart from this, after you complete the process of taking an appointment date, you are provided with three download links on the website. One is the appointment letter, one tells us which all documents u need to submit 3 days before the interview. The third one tells the documents needed at the time of interview. The documents mentioned in there are quite an information.
Visa interview
The time for the interview was 9:00am. We reached there by 8:15am just to find a huge line for the interview. The watchman told me that there were 300 odd people for the interview at the same time, i.e. 9:00am. Even then, my parents were allowed inside the gate by 8:55am. My parents didn't tell me clearly about the interaction, but here are few questions they were asked. And they were asked only to my dad, mom was silent during the whole interview. And yes, they opted for an interview in Hindi. When they went inside, there was this interviewer sitting with a translator at her side with the mic.

1. Why are you going there?
  2. Do you have any other children?
  3. What work do you do?
  4. What is your annual income?
  5. What other people stay with you? Are you part of a joint family?
  6. Who will handle your business (coz my dad is in a business) after you?

The invitation letter provided by the university is very important in this case. When the interviewer prepared the green envelope, my parents put the letters on top of the envelope for the interviewer to see it.
Don't know for how many years/months their visa's have been approved. Will update as soon as I come to know.

Hey Ayush,

Can you please share any template documents if you have them handy?

Thanks!
Parth
11-16-2017 12:44 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread