Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1.5 Average
Has the number of students applying to Sweden gone down due to tuition fees?
JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

Likes Given: 137
Unisearch: Link
RE: Has the number of students applying to Sweden gone down due to tuition fees?
Agree with you mate, but they said that there would be good funding. Is it the case, does anybody know?

FH Aachen (Energy Systems- Renewable Energy)

Available for Mechanical Profile Evaluations for Germany. Please tag me and wait!

Currently swamped with work and Uni, so won't be able to respond immediately. A thousand apologies to all those waiting for Profile Evals or who want questions to be answered. And please do NOT email me. Thank you!
12-30-2010 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
damon Offline
Edulix Active Member

damon Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
RE: Has the number of students applying to Sweden gone down due to tuition fees?
At present when you choose India,the site says no scholarship is listed.I guess its the case with other countries too.Guess it will take some time to update on the exact scenario
At present when you choose India,the site says no scholarship is listed.I guess its the case with other countries too.I think it will take some time to update on the exact scenario

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010 10:52 PM by damon.)
12-30-2010 10:52 PM
gre.84845 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

gre.84845 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

the scholarship scenario is a total bummer,,,
i am applying to kth for:
Vehicle engg.
Design engg.

m not really aware about the swedish scene,,,

ne info bout the course and its prospects will b helpful,,
thnx,,

01-08-2011 01:13 AM
sudhi4cric Offline
New Edulixian

sudhi4cric Offline
New Edulixian

(12-20-2010 09:15 AM)KmlshMenon Wrote:  Yes. am admitted to BTH. Structural Mechanics. My course commences on 25 march, 2011 Spring. anyone here admitted for the spring programme??
I am Sudheesh.I am also admitted to the same program
01-24-2011 08:07 PM
karthik ravi Offline
New Edulixian

karthik ravi Offline
New Edulixian

Hi Everybody,

I am a MS student in the Networks and Distributed systems program in Chalmers.

Regarding the admit,if you get admit from KTH,Chalmers,Lund or Uppsala with the scholarships you can definitely go ahead with the admits since I can assure you that Quality of education and research in these Univs is on par with the Top 30-50 universities in US.

Regarding the Job scenario,it is defintely better compared to the rest of Europe ..
As far as Cost of living is concerned it will not take more than 3 lakhs per year..

If you are ready to do odd jobs then you can get part-time jobs but the challenge will be to balance ur studies with your part-time jobs..Since the courses are very rigorous here..

However if u dont get shcolarships,it would be better to think about it since u need to consider the factors like ROI,Languages problems and other issues..

The quality of education is research is very good but i think the tuition fees is a bit on the higher side and it nearly equals the cost of studying in US/UK...
So if you get admit Schols then you can consider it definitely...

hope it helps...

By the way Chalmers & KTH are very famous for CS,Communication,Mechanical and Automative Engg courses..

01-29-2011 05:34 AM
light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

light fades away Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 2
sweden (especially chalmers) gets more points than top 50 US universities in terms of quality of education. especially in gothenberg, most people speak english so language is rarely a problem.. if you put your heart and soul into it, learning swedish is not that hard.. it just takes a bit of time and the rewards are many..

you can find a paid masters thesis with relative ease at chalmers.. living expenses are not so high.. but be prepared to work your ass off.. courses here are far more rigorous than any i have seen in my life... finally, i you learn swedish, the possibility of getting a job is far higher than in US. there are lesser restrictions on off campus employment and after 4 years of work permit you are eligible for immigration..

all in all it is a good deal, provided you get in..

01-29-2011 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ronnie24 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ronnie24 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hello everyone,

I got an admit from Lund university in Wireless communication program for September 2011 intake and i have also got admit from TU Eindhoven in Electrical engineering program
Now i am confused between these 2 universities as both seem to be very good. So please anyone can tell me to go for which university in terms of the following points:
1)job prospects after completin of the masters course
2)part-time jobs(or RA/TA)
Hope to hear ASAP
04-04-2011 04:16 PM
sanky10987 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

sanky10987 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 11
Hey guys light fades away, billa and karthik ravi

Can you please answer the below questions?
I have applied for COMPUTER SYSTEMS AND NETWORKS at chalmers as my first priority.
1. what is approx total overall cost of studying at chalmers (assuming that I get 30% aid, I might be hoping too much Very Happy )
2. what is the current post-ms job scene at chalmers? (If possible, name the companies where ppl get into after doing m.s in CS)
3. what is the on-campus job scene? Is there anythng like TA/RA as it is in US?
I have tried to search for the info on edulix, but most of the data is old.
Thank you.Smile

All my replies and comments are just my opinion and on the basis of what I have experienced till now.
Tag me for immediate attention.
Infobank
My VI
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 06:09 PM by sanky10987.)
02-16-2012 06:08 PM
jain14prateek Offline
Edulix Frequent User

jain14prateek Offline
Edulix Frequent User

i have also applied to KTH and Chalmers...
i also found out that they give 30-40% waiver to indian students for MS...
Lets hope for the best...
(12-19-2010 01:44 PM)damon Wrote:  Anyone here applied to sweden?I am hoping to find some sort of companySmileI have applied to KTH and Chalmers
02-16-2012 06:45 PM
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

sanky10987

1. According to the Chalmers website, the total tuition fees for the degree is SEK 280,000. So if you get 30% scholarship, you would need to pay around SEK 195 000, which is around US$ 28,000. I think there are many possibilities to get higher scholarhip in second year depening on your performance. Also you can easily get paid thesis which pays SEK 30,000 - 50,000.

2. In my opinion, things have got a lot better there now. Now its much easier to get (odd) part time jobs, professional jobs, thesis and internships etc., because there are not many international (Non-Eu) students anymore.
A lot of nordic companies participate in annual job festival at Chalmers. I think Ericsson is the major company where students from Chalmers CSE department go for thesis and jobs cos they are located in Göteborg also, and have co-operation with Chalmers. Volvo also offers lots of internships and jobs. Apart from these major companies, there many small and medium size local IT companies located in Sweden and neighbour countries Norway, Denmark, Finland etc. where students go.

3. Apart from paid thesis, there are not many on-campus jobs available for the masters students. TA/RA related jobs are given to the PhD students. However couple of my friends managed to get the lab assistant work at Chalmers. But again, the major cities like Göteborg or Stockholm have many small IT companies where its possible to get part time jobs as a web developer etc.

Hope it helps.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
02-16-2012 06:49 PM
sanky10987 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

sanky10987 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 11
(02-16-2012 06:49 PM)billa Wrote:  @[sanky10987]

1. According to the Chalmers website, the total tuition fees for the degree is SEK 280,000. So if you get 30% scholarship, you would need to pay around SEK 195 000, which is around US$ 28,000. I think there are many possibilities to get higher scholarhip in second year depening on your performance. Also you can easily get paid thesis which pays SEK 30,000 - 50,000.

2. In my opinion, things have got a lot better there now. Now its much easier to get (odd) part time jobs, professional jobs, thesis and internships etc., because there are not many international (Non-Eu) students anymore.
A lot of nordic companies participate in annual job festival at Chalmers. I think Ericsson is the major company where students from Chalmers CSE department go for thesis and jobs cos they are located in Göteborg also, and have co-operation with Chalmers. Volvo also offers lots of internships and jobs. Apart from these major companies, there many small and medium size local IT companies located in Sweden and neighbour countries Norway, Denmark, Finland etc. where students go.

3. Apart from paid thesis, there are not many on-campus jobs available for the masters students. TA/RA related jobs are given to the PhD students. However couple of my friends managed to get the lab assistant work at Chalmers. But again, the major cities like Göteborg or Stockholm have many small IT companies where its possible to get part time jobs as a web developer etc.

Hope it helps.

Thanks a ton billa. It was very insightful Smile
But I think u forgot to mention about living cost for two yrs while studyin at chalmers Wink
I would also like to know average salaries offered for freshers and for around 2yrs work - ex...

All my replies and comments are just my opinion and on the basis of what I have experienced till now.
Tag me for immediate attention.
Infobank
My VI
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 06:59 PM by sanky10987.)
02-16-2012 06:57 PM
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

sanky10987 Living costs are around SEK 5000-7000 /month depending on your lifestyle.
The salaries start from SEK25,000+ /month.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
02-16-2012 07:52 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread