Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

Likes Given: 2
Unisearch: Link
Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
I'm hereby including all the relevant threads on Recommendation Letters.
Please do browse these threads before creating a new thread for your query .

Important threads :

FAQ:Recommendation letters( by taro_curly)

LOR form download query if sending paper reco's

Harm caused if by mistake forgot to waive right to access reco letter

Using the LOR form given by univ if sending hard copy of LOR's?? Also read
Are university recommendation forms compulsory? and LOR waiving right to access issue

Is Scanned Signature of a recommender in LOR hard copy fine?

For how long a reco letter is considered valid

LOR interfolio(I'm not sure about it fully, please let me know if some one can update me on this)

Identical letter of recommendation by recommenders

Taking reco on college letterhead but all marksheets have university name on them, any problem??

What if Recommender agreed to give only a brief reco letter

What if recommender has given resignation after he gave reco and Prof moved to a diff univ.

Reco from current HOD or ex-HOD (with whom I worked)

Applying to CS but taking one LOR from EE as it was UG specialization

Recommendation letter from a professor of different branch

Not sure who to take LOR from,help!and read this also:From whom to take LOR

LOR from prof who don't know me well

LOR query

online LOR queries

Writing Own Recommendations. Need suggestions Badly.

Work recommendation letter queries:

What would be the effect of LOR from a industrialist in the related field

Reco from goldman sachs but recommender is abroad

Letter of recommendation from Employer VS Client

Reco from employer, Reco from team lead or manager ?, Reco from office , LOR from my employer (a coaching class) where I have been teaching

Random LOR queries: here, here and LOR confusion

NOTE: The following questions are taken from F.A.Q.s on Edulix by volatile_atack:
I do not have my university-specific ID while filling the Reco forms from my references. Can I leave this field blank and get the recos filled?
Of course you can. University-specific Id could be mentioned if you have one. If you do not just leave it blank.

Changing the recommender ID
if the online application has an option to add and Delete recommenders, delete him/her and add him/her again with the new e-mail ID.

Should I take LOR from lecturer or manager/employer?
It is for you to decide. Whichever case you feel will give the admission committee a better idea of your potential would be the right person to take your LOR from. Though don’t take all your LORs from just your employers. If you have been working for more than two years a LOR from manager/employer is a must have.

Does qualification/designation of Recommender matter?
Doesn’t matter too much unless the recommender is well known by ppl in the admission committee. Getting a good positive LOR is more important. Get LOR from someone who knows you long enough to judge and rate your abilities.

Should I waive my right to review the Recommendation?
You must waive your right to view or access the recommendation! It does give a good impression! Also some univs or AdComs might refuse to consider the LOR if the right to review it hasn't been waived off.

How to send recommendation letter to the University? What are the different ways of it? Can we send them along with other application materials, or the Professors have to send it themselves?
Recommendations can be given in two ways: On-line recommendation and Paper recommendation.
1. On - Line Reco-
Here's how it works-
--You fill the application along with your recommender's details; email address of recommenders
--The university sends e-mail with instructions on how to upload LOR
(Either they ask the recommender to create an account and upload a pdf file or just copy paste the recommendation letter content.)
--Additionally they may also ask the recommender to evaluate on basis of certain criteria such as position in class, communication skills etc.
-- The recommender completes the formalities

2. Paper reco - You have take the p/o of the Recommendation on the Professor's letter head [if available] or College Letter head. Apart from this all most 99% university has an additional Recommendation form which has those MCQ's I mentioned above which Professors have to fill up and then both this letters i.e. the University Recommendation Form and Professor's Recommendation for you has to be sealed in one envelope. You can send that sealed envelope along with your other application materials.

Other threads with only minor details are compiled here in form of these questions:

Applying for MS with nearly 1.5 work exp. But present job is completely irrelevant to field of interest. So is it mandatory to get a reco from manager. Also not stressing on work exp. (as it is irrelevant) in SOP .Will it create any problem (in terms of getting admit) if reco not taken from company after working for nearly 2 years.

It would still be a good idea to go in for a reco. Manager can speak about any particular strengths or qualities that he may have at work. Though not directly relevant, it can be used to put forth the abilities.
That said, it should be the less important reco.
I don't think NOT getting a reco will create a problem. People many a times have to do it to hide the fact that they are applying.

I have around 2.5 years work experience though not in the field of study- my doubt is would the universities expect to see an LOR from my employer too?
Take 2 from profs and one from the employer. If asked for only 2 LORs, take one from college and one from employer. If u think your employer will not be able to give reco, n your prof can give a better one then take both the recos from prof.

What will happen if they recommenders can’t submit the LOR forms before the deadline?

Most universities give some leeway for the reco letters, as they are not in your control at all. No one would exactly know what happens if the recommenders delay sending in the recos, and till what date the university would give extra time once the deadline is crossed. So, don’t relax; to be on the safer side, do ask your recommenders to complete it as soon as possible and also send a mail to the admission office. When you mail them, be sure to make it easier for them to track the LORs down, so include all details pertinent to the app, such as the application/student ID number (whichever has been assigned to you), the date you submitted the app, and the date the LOR was sent and the sender's (recommender) name and address. And while letting the admissions office know, please be polite! They are not obligated to do anything for you, and if they approve your request, keep in mind that it's a favor they're doing for you.

One of my recommender wants his email Id to be changed. He wants his Gmail ID to be given instead of the college email ID due to some system failure in our college. But I have already given his college email ID (of course with his approval) and some universities do not have the provision to change recommender email ID. What should I do?

Mail the admissions office and ask. They should be able to help you out or provide alternatives.

My professor does not really have an official email from my college. Would it pose as a problem of any sort if I provide a Gmail/yahoo id?

AFAIK, for US universities, it does not create a problem. For Canadian universities, I have seen that they have strictly mentioned not to give any Gmail/yahoo ID.

One of my recommenders, who was previously a prof in my college, has shifted to another one.
I have to send a paper LOR so asked him to write the LOR in a sheet that has a letter head, but he said that he ll write it in a plain white sheet and will put his seal in the sheet. Will his seal work?

If it has a seal then I think there will be no problem. Anyway, I think it’s better to get a letterhead from the university he's currently working in (seniors please respond)

Due to some reason two of my recommenders have uploaded the recos and 1 didn’t. I have also sent the hard copies of the recos signed by them. So will they consider the hard copy for the third recommender? or do I need to ask my professor to upload the reco again??

Again, mail the admissions office to let them know of this, ASAP! Tell them about your problem, and that the recommender would send a hard reco. If they agree with it, you're set. If not, you'd have to ask the recommender to upload it again.

My profs have given me sealed envelopes LOR, but these envelopes aren't our college or univ envelope but this normal white colored envelope (with nothing written on it, its blank). Now my question is that, should I write down something like LOR, name of recommender or should I keep it blank?

Just write your Student ID number if you have one.
•In case you feel that you want to write on top of it that it’s the reco letter then write whatever you want on the envelope. It's perfectly fine.

One of my recommender is only willing to provide offline recommendation. Should I still enter the name in recommenders list in the online form?

Yes. Request your professor to write "Letter of Recommendation sent via postal mail" in the link he/she gets in his/her email inbox. Make sure he/she knows to write your name correctly, and to give the points based ratings if possible. The rest can be explained in the reco that'll be mailed separately.

Most of the universities that I am planning to apply have online recos. But when we send the application package, do we have to send a copy of the paper recos to be safe..???

Do either of the online recos or the paper ones, but NOT BOTH.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 08:14 AM by greprepin.)
01-30-2011 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

RE: Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
I made this as people create individual threads for same problems since no one would browse threads scattered on 50 odd pages.Hope they read this atleast.Very HappyVery Happy

@moderators :

If required you can merge it with the thread of taro_curly as a continuation to it or if anything seems superfluous , do let me know; I'll remove it.

Suggestions awaited!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 05:50 PM by purple_haze.)
01-31-2011 05:45 PM
atulbatra2 Offline
New Edulixian

atulbatra2 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
does the online recommendation letter (pdf file or word file) which has to be uploaded by the prof needs to have a college letter head on it or it shud just be a written letter? plz reply urgently
02-19-2011 01:52 PM
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

@above

I had all the reco's online and they were simple .doc/.pdf files without the letter head.

Also many univ's will have the option that the prof has to copy paste in a text box so the letter head option doesn't apply then .

Note--This is what I did since no where in the apps it was mentioned that we have the college letter head document to be uploaded by prof''s

hope this helps

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2011 02:09 PM by purple_haze.)
02-19-2011 02:07 PM
sampla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

sampla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Thanks for the very useful post, shraddha! would be helpful to future appers.

02-21-2011 09:24 AM
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

@ moderators

Kindly lock this thread .

05-06-2011 10:42 PM
megalomaniac88 Offline
Edulix Active Member

megalomaniac88 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 8
@[taro_curly]
purple haze

I have grace marks in one subject- Analog electronics.
i got 45/50 so 5 marks were given as grace and its visible in my marksheet as "50*"

My HOD taught me this subject and in general, not academic wise, but she knows me very well cos of all the fests and events i was involved in during college. This was the only course she taught me. She would obviously mention it in the LOR. Would anyone cross check? Would it be weird that shez recommending me inspite of the fact that i got grace marks in her subject??
So would it be ok if i take an LOR from her?

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011 09:52 PM by megalomaniac88.)
09-18-2011 09:50 PM
balajigovindarao Away
New Edulixian

balajigovindarao Away
New Edulixian

just be a written letter
09-22-2011 12:58 AM
rajbxe789 Offline
Edulix Active Member

rajbxe789 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hi ,
Suppose a university accepts only paper-based LOR and I will have my all 3 recommendation letters from my college.My query is ,should I put the recommendation letter of each professor in an envelope and then send all the 3 envelopes together or can I put all the 3 recommendation letter in 1 envelope and send it with the transcripts?

Tagging
purple haze

My Infobank
If you can dream it,you can do it. ~ Walt Disney

Create Infobank || Profile Eval Guide || ECE Specialization
09-22-2011 02:21 AM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
Each letter goes in its own separate envelope. If you put multiple recos in one envelope, then it is obvious that you have seen their contents. That totally defeats the purpose of an LOR in the first place, which is confidentiality. And makes you seem really, really stupid, but that's kinda beside the point.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
09-22-2011 06:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
abhisek09 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

abhisek09 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
The_Observer
purple_haze
PLease suggest me as to which one would be more appropriate regarding Reco.
1)a reco from a Phd PRof fro My uni but he has not taught our section .He taught the other section .(Analog Electronics ).he ahs recommended many of my friends and may not have any issues in doing for me as well.
2) A professor (not a ph d but i guess mtech ) but he taught me and knows me well ,And is in the same field (VLSI ) in which area i wish to study further .

I asked some of ym friends ad they said a Reco froma Phd prof does have a lotof value . which do you suggest.

Every sun rise delivers opportunities,while every sunset asks what we did it these opportunities .
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 02:41 PM by abhisek09.)
11-03-2011 02:33 PM
mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mirthychaos Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 20
abhisek09, they will comment but here is my little opinion. I would say go for the professor who taught you the field you are interested in, which will give you a definite edge and the fact that he knows you well(assuming - better than the Phd guy) gives away more points to have him as your recommender. Plus the matter matters.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 03:49 PM by mirthychaos.)
11-03-2011 03:45 PM
abhisek09 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

abhisek09 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 5
mirthychaos

Thanks man . Will contact my proff and get this thing done .regarding other Two reco ,one i MA also taking form a Senior Proff who taught ,just called him and he was happy to recommend me .
The third one from my Offcie , as i will have two yrs+ work Ex(though not in relvant field ) .

Every sun rise delivers opportunities,while every sunset asks what we did it these opportunities .
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 04:07 PM by abhisek09.)
11-03-2011 04:05 PM
vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

vraider Away
All Rounder of the Year

Likes Given: 35
Well , in the case of paper LOR's . I'm having a problem . My recommender somehow refuses to put a seal on the flap of the envelope. So Would just sticking it with tape and asking him to sign do?
Tagging The_Minuteman,@[taro_curly] for their take.

^My two cents .
Tis' been a while.

I dont do profile evals.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 05:28 PM by vraider.)
11-03-2011 05:15 PM
rudran88 Offline
Original PB

rudran88 Offline
Original PB

Likes Given: 53
vraider Take the stamp of the college/employer in which your recommender works on the flap. I think even that would do.
I think that should work.

| Hey Raam Ghor Kalyug |

DP Pic Credits :- Molee Art https://www.facebook.com/MoleeArt
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 05:43 PM by rudran88.)
11-03-2011 05:43 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread