Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

Likes Given: 2
Unisearch: Link
Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
I'm hereby including all the relevant threads on Recommendation Letters.
Please do browse these threads before creating a new thread for your query .

Important threads :

FAQ:Recommendation letters( by taro_curly)

LOR form download query if sending paper reco's

Harm caused if by mistake forgot to waive right to access reco letter

Using the LOR form given by univ if sending hard copy of LOR's?? Also read
Are university recommendation forms compulsory? and LOR waiving right to access issue

Is Scanned Signature of a recommender in LOR hard copy fine?

For how long a reco letter is considered valid

LOR interfolio(I'm not sure about it fully,please let me know if some one can update me on this)

Identical letter of recommendation by recommenders

Taking reco on college letterhead but all marksheets have university name on them, any problem??

What if Recommender agreed to give only a brief reco letter

What if recommender has given resignation after he gave reco and Prof moved to a diff univ.

Reco from current HOD or ex-HOD( with whom I worked)

Applying to CS but taking one LOR from EE as it was UG specialization

Recommendation letter from a professor of different branch

Not sure who to take LOR from,help!and read this also:From whom to take LOR

LOR from prof who don't know me well

LOR query

online LOR queries

Work recommendation letter queries:

What would be the effect of LOR from a industrialist in the related field

Reco from goldman sachs but recommender is abroad

Letter of recommendation from Employer VS Client

Reco from employer , Reco from team lead or manager ? , Reco from office , LOR from my employer(a coaching class )where I have been teaching

Random LOR queries: here and here also other LOR confusion

NOTE: The following questions are taken from F.A.Q.s on Edulix by volatile_atack:
I do not have my university-specific ID while filling the Reco forms from my references. Can I leave this field blank and get the recos filled?
Of course you can. University-specific Id could be mentioned if you have one. If you do not just leave it blank.

Changing the recommender ID
if the online application has an option to add and Delete recommenders, delete him/her and add him/her again with the new e-mail ID.

Should I take LOR from lecturer or manager/employer?
It is for you to decide. Whichever case you feel will give the admission committee a better idea of your potential would be the right person to take your LOR from. Though don’t take all your LORs from just your employers. If you have been working for more than two years a LOR from manager/employer is a must have.

Does qualification/designation of Recommender matter?
Doesn’t matter too much unless the recommender is well known by ppl in the admission committee. Getting a good positive LOR is more important. Get LOR from someone who knows you long enough to judge and rate your abilities.

Should I waive my right to review the Recommendation?
You must waive your right to view or access the recommendation! It does give a good impression!

How to send recommendation letter to the University? What are the different ways of it? Can we send them along with other application materials, or the Professors have to send it themselves?
Recommendations can be given in two ways: On-line recommendation and Paper recommendation.
1. On - Line Reco-
Here's how it works-
--You fill the application along with your recommender's details; email address of recommenders
--The university sends e-mail with instructions on how to upload LOR
(Either they ask the recommender to create an account and upload a pdf file or just copy paste the recommendation letter content.)
--Additionally they may also ask the recommender to evaluate on basis of certain criteria such as position in class, communication skills etc.
-- The recommender completes the formalities

2. Paper reco - You have take the p/o of the Recommendation on the Professor's letter head [if available] or College Letter head. Apart from this all most 99% university has an additional Recommendation form which has those MCQ's I mentioned above which Professors have to fill up and then both this letters i.e. the University Recommendation Form and Professor's Recommendation for you has to be sealed in one envelope. You can send that sealed envelope along with your other application materials.

Other threads with only minor details are compiled here in form of these questions:

Applying for MS with nearly 1.5 work exp. But present job is completely irrelevant to field of interest. So is it mandatory to get a reco from manager. Also not stressing on work exp. (as it is irrelevant) in SOP .Will it create any problem (in terms of getting admit) if reco not taken from company after working for nearly 2 years.

It would still be a good idea to go in for a reco. Manager can speak about any particular strengths or qualities that he may have at work. Though not directly relevant, it can be used to put forth the abilities.
That said, it should be the less important reco.
I don't think NOT getting a reco will create a problem. People many a times have to do it to hide the fact that they are applying.

I have around 2.5 years work experience though not in the field of study- my doubt is would the universities expect to see an LOR from my employer too?
Take 2 from prof n one from employee. If asked for only 2 LORs, take one from college and one from employer. If u think your employer will not be able to give reco, n your prof can give a better one then take both the recos from prof.

What will happen if they recommenders can’t submit the LOR forms before the deadline?

Most universities give some leeway for the reco letters, as they are not in your control at all. No one would exactly know what happens if the recommenders delay sending in the recos, and till what date the university would give extra time once the deadline is crossed. So, don’t relax; to be on the safer side, do ask your recommenders to complete it as soon as possible and also send a mail to the admission office.

One of my recommender wants his email Id to be changed. He wants his Gmail ID to be given instead of the college email ID due to some system failure in our college. But I have already given his college email ID (of course with his approval) and some universities do not have the provision to change recommender email ID. What should I do?

---seniors please reply--

My professor does not really have an official email from my college. Would it pose as a problem of any sort if I provide a Gmail/yahoo id?

AFAIK, for US universities, it does not create a problem. For Canadian universities, I have seen that they have strictly mentioned not to give any Gmail/yahoo ID.

One of my recommender, who was previously a prof in my college, has shifted to another one.
I have to send a paper LOR so asked him to write the LOR in a sheet that has a letter head, but he said that he ll write it in a plain white sheet and will put his seal in the sheet. Will his seal work?

If it has a seal then I think there will be no problem. Anyway, I think it’s better to get a letterhead from the university he's currently working in.

Due to some reason two of my recommenders have uploaded the recos and 1 didn’t. I have also sent the hard copies of the recos signed by them. So will they consider the hard copy for the third recommender? or do I need to ask my professor to upload the reco again??

Mail the univ's admissions office and check if they will accept offline recos. If yes, let them know of your problem and see if they're OK with the hard copy. If not, you'd need to find another recommender who's ready to give you an online reco.

My profs have given me sealed envelopes LOR, but these envelopes aren't our college or univ envelope but this normal white colored envelope (with nothing written on it, its blank). Now my question is that, should I write down something like LOR, name of recommender or should I keep it blank?

Just write your Student ID number if you have one.
•In case you feel that you want to write on top of it that it’s the reco letter then write whatever you want on the envelope. It's perfectly fine.

One of my recommender is only willing to provide offline recommendation. Should I still enter the name in recommenders list in the online form?

No. If it is mentioned that you need online recos, you should fill in the names of only those people who're willing to give you online recos. The only exceptions to this might be obtained by taking prior permission from the univ admissions office.

Most of the universities that I am planning to apply have online recos. But when we send the application package, do we have to send a copy of the paper recos to be safe..???

Do either of the online recos or the paper ones, but NOT BOTH.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2011 04:27 AM by The_Observer.)
01-30-2011 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user
purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

purple_haze Away
Edulix Associate

Likes Given: 2
RE: Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
I made this as people create individual threads for same problems since no one would browse threads scattered on 50 odd pages.Hope they read this atleast.Very HappyVery Happy

@moderators :

If required you can merge it with the thread of taro_curly as a continuation to it or if anything seems superfluous , do let me know; I'll remove it.

Suggestions awaited!!!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2011 05:50 PM by purple_haze.)
01-31-2011 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user
niteshkamat Offline
Edulix Senior Member

niteshkamat Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
RE: Compilation of threads on Letter of Recommendations
Peace Smile

Nitesh Kamat

We werent born to follow, Come on and get up off your knees - Jon Bon Jovi

Graduate Student/E-commerce Professional - TAMU MIS Dec 2011

GENERAL ADVICE/FAQs - V V IMP : Please Read
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 01:24 AM by niteshkamat.)
02-27-2011 02:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread