GRE and TOEFL Experiences
RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

Likes Given: 19
Unisearch: Link
GRE and TOEFL Experiences
Now most of the people are done with their GRE and TOEFL.I would like you guys to share your experiences with other people.

You will first write your GRE experience followed by TOEFL.

Instead of creating New thread all the time I would request you guys to participate in this thread so that it will help the future aspirants.

Hoping to see the replies soon.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2011 08:34 PM by RobinHood Pandey.)
10-11-2010 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

RE: GRE and TOEFL experiences
The main idea is to have all the experience at one place.
Your thread has so many post that it would be difficult to find the experiences.
Here people can post their experiences of the tests.This thread would be full of experiences only.As the preparation thread is full of pre GRE discussion this thread can be of Post GRE experience.

10-11-2010 01:20 PM
MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

Likes Given: 0
Yeah good idea though. Let me ask others Smile

Not active in edulix now-a-days. Please shoot me an email iff its extremely urgent. I am not doing any profile evaluation till Fall 12. Thanks
My VI
10-11-2010 01:33 PM
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 11
Yeah i agree with Anurag!!!!I am copy pasting my experience.
@moderators:Please do not say i am multiposting...Laughing
Finally i am back to edulix!!!!Sorry guys, was busy in finishing up the college work i procrastinated for last 3 weeks..in any case i had to complete it!!!!

My GRE experience:
Score :1180 (750 +430)
Center was in Chennai so I went there a day before and went to see the center in the night.Although they did not allow me to go inside,but i managed to peep inside the door to get a feel of GRE!!!

Went back to my cousin's home and had a good sleep.On the exam day,I left for center at 10 (was worried about traffic) and reached there at around 11:15 (yes,it was very far)!!!Then waited there,watching two parents talking about their children etc etc.Security told to come at 12:30.There was no place to wait so i just sat on the stairs,opened the ETS official guide and did some questions that i did before.Saw some analogies also.I was very chill before the exam and was confident too!!!I revised some words also but did not take pressure in those which i could not learn.Then I saw some of my college mates coming,i went with them ,had juice,did a little chit chat and discussed some words.
People started coming at 12:15 and there were around 30 people waiting for the big day.At 12:30 sharp,we went to the second floor where we were given the keys of lockers.We were given forms to fill,some rules and regulations which we were supposed to follow.Then I kept my bag in the locker,had some water.W were called according to the slots given there.We neede to show them passport and one secondary proof if we don't have passport (But prefer passport!!!).Then i went inside a room where my pockets were checked third time (first and second time outside the room).Was asked to sign and the instructor told me the instructions about what to do when i will leave the room in break.I was asked to see in an alien shaped camera.Then the most awaited time came!!I was taken inside the testing room where a lot cameras were hanging(around 6-7).I was given scratch papers ,two pencils and an eraser.The instructor started the test and asked me to press enter many times as ETS asked me about the background information.I glanced through all that and then proceeded to theinstructions about how to use mouse ,keyboard etc.(All that is given in Barron's CD).

Test started.As expected,I was asked to write an issue on two topics out of which i had to choose one.Luckily i got the topic which i studied in the morning iteslf at home during my breakfast. (ll not write the topic name as it is not allowed in edulix to write the questions asked in GRE.)PM me if you want to know the topics.As i was thorough with the topic,so wrote it nicely giving examples from india etc.Overall it was fine.

Then came the argument,which was also not very tough.I wrote it for the scientella of minute.It was also ok.Then took a break for around 7 minutes.Had some biscuits,and red bull!!!

I came back with 3 minutes remaining.Instructor came to my cubical and started the test.Then came the most unexpected part!!!!!I was expecting verbal but Quants came first.Started with it very casually but i got stuck in 5th question which i think is the reason for low scores in quants!!!!!:(Guessed it as it was taking long time.Went further,felt no problem in following questions.But then came the hidden danger.For me,Both DI carried very tough first questions in which i had to calculate every choice.So it took me long,I think i was unlucky one that day because i got 2 questions from P&C,2 from probability.And for those who do not like geometry,I would like them to pay attention that i got 7 questions from geometry one by one .I think i got all of them right (I am good at geometry :lolI finished quants in time.But Quants was not that easy as I expected.For those who do not pay attention to quants can face some problems as according to what i felt,ETS is increaing the level of questions.

Then came the verbal section.I do not know what to say.I am feeling like all my hard work went waste when i saw my score as 430.One thing i want to bring attention that Barron's wordlist is getting outdated.I got 2 antonyms that were not in Barrons .hey were with 'A' and i was thorough with first 20 word lists atleast.So i can say they were not from Baroons.Please do not only rely on Barron's wordlist.See some other also.I got 1 easy RC and two long and tough RC's.Now i am feeling that as my score was going down,i got easy analogies.I think i messed up with the Sentence Completeion in which the choices were very very similar to each other.I realised at that time that my score will go very low but still i kept trying.But as the clock was ticking,my heart beats were going high as i expected to see the scores just after the verbal section.As verbal section finished,I felt dejected.But after that one more surprise,Argument came for me as the experimental section.I t was different from the first one.Although it was not stated as 'experimantal section',but i could easily identify it.I gave an attempt to that one and spent 30 more minutes with that argument.Then came the moment of truth,I was asked to either see the scores or cancel them.Although i was sure that i had messd with the verbal section but still never ever thought of rejecting them.Came the window,i was like 'OhGod'...

I was expecting atleast 1200-1250 even after bad verbal section but got only 1180.I felt really very much bad.It was the most important exam of my life for which I had prepared very hard.But hard work did not pay.Anyways I had some universities in my mind according to the score (below 1200,1200-1400,above 1400).So applied my score to some mediocre universities.The screen said thank you for taking the test, i went out of the room dejected.But when i came out,i asked many people who also did not get very high scores and i think i could find only one guy with 800 in quants.Had a plan to see inception after the exam but dropped it.

Some advice for future test takers:
1.Do see your test center before the exam as it can create problem.If i had not seen it,i could have got lost.And tension before the exam is very bad.
2.Do not ignore quants as it is getting tough day by day.Practice Nova,Barrons and most importantly timed tests without which preparation is superficial.
3.Do not only rely on Barron's word list as i got some words outside Barrons.Do look into Princeton and Kaplan word list .(Atleast take a glance of the words you do not know)
4.Do take some snacks with you for the break.
5.Do take a break between test.It relieves the GRE anxiety to an extent.
6.Practice test are very very important.Do not hesitate in giving the tests even if your word lists are remaining.
7.Prepare a master word list before 15 days of your exams and revise those words daily.Do not waste time in revising the by heart words daily.Do them on alternate basis.Master list must include the words in which you have even 1% doubt that you can forget it.
8.Anumber of websites are there which can help you in practicing especially verbal questions.(I got to know a good one 2 days before the exam,but that was too late)
9.Do not ignore Big book,Doing RC'S from Bigbook is very helpful.
10.Last but not the least,have faith in yourself.Thanks to some of my edulix friends in helping me to get over GRE anxiety before the exam.

Concluding my experience of GRE,ican only say that even after that much preparation and that too in the right direction,I could not get the score i expected.So luck also plays a pivotal role. (About which you can not do anything)

So in the last,Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst ,do notloose the hope as I have not left it.Lets see what happens!!!!

All the best.Give you best shot!!You all will rock!!!
I will be obliged if i will be able to help someone,pm for my email id and any other help i can offer.

Regards
Abhishek

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!
I can reply to the tags now. Please do not send personalized 'blogs' in the PM. Tag me, and I will reply as soon as I get time.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2010 10:15 PM by abhiloquacious.)
10-11-2010 10:10 PM
ic10503 Offline
Edulix Active Member

ic10503 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Had my GRE today. I got 800(math) + 390(verbal). I was getting similar scores in powerprep too. As usual, I had problems with verbal. Trend is towards getting 3 RCs these days. Though I had done the barrons word lists, but still could not retain all the words and ended up messing up verbal score. I am considering to retake GRE and I fell sorry that I am not in a position to give any gyan to anybody Sad

10-12-2010 01:21 PM
angel on earth Offline
Moderator Emeritus

angel on earth Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 21
Great idea to share our experiences here. I don't know about the other thread, since my GRE was done way before that thread started. there might be more people whos experience isn't posted in that thread, like mine. So, giving the link to the earlier post/moving of post by mod would be a good idea. Also, lot more clear.
I was wondering if posting the experience again is an issue here, 'cause it is being done for the benefit of others in this case.Confused

I'll post my experience soon! Smile

My Profile
Destination- GaTech | BUZZ!
Run your own race!
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2010 01:42 PM by angel on earth.)
10-12-2010 01:38 PM
enthusiastic Offline
Edulix Active Member

enthusiastic Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Another Copy-Paste!
When I opened ets.org/gre on Jul 29, to book a date for GRE, I found a lot of slots in September at Bangalore (I stay in Mysore). Suddenly, the next day, one of my friends said that the dates were fast getting booked, hurry up. My other friend didn't have a credit card, so we planned to book his GRE using mine. For some reason, I booked his first (Sept. 1). Then, to my dismay, I found that his was the last seat on that day. Whole September booked! I had to switch to Mumbai center. Spent a few days at my Uncle's center before giving the GRE on Sept. 7. After a week, whole of Bangalore slots opened up again. I had already booked train tickets!! He changed the date from Sept 1 to Sept 18, Brick wall TOEFL booking went the other way round. I got Mysore, Oct 9. Mine was the last seat. He took Bangalore center!

Well, I always hated the city of Mumbai for its traffic. Going to the center (Andheri) from where I stayed (Colaba) was like hell. When I stepped out of the car at the center, I don't know what happened, I suddenly vomited in front of the gate. It was raining cats and dogs, to make the matters worse! The security guard refused to come outside the compound to hold umbrella for me Evil or Very Mad Time : 10.30am. GRE Appointment: 01.00pm. Thank God, I went early.

I then went to some hotel at the main road. Washed up, had watermelon juice, it tasted like divine drink!!

Slept in the car for half an hour, went to the center at 12.00pm. I was calm and never lost my cool. Finished the GRE. Score: 800, 560, 4. Not bad, right? On my way back, I ate some sandwich, was very hungry. On reaching home, I vomited that!!

------------->

Went to TOEFL center with my classmate. I was at the center 9.00am sharp. The center wasn't even open!! Lazy Mysoreans....

Didn't feel like I was in the exam hall. Too casual... Finished the exam without hassles. Waiting for the score....

10-12-2010 08:19 PM
ManU_ Away
Edulix Active Member

ManU_ Away
Edulix Active Member

My GRE Story
(1490..800Q 690V First attempt on 26th Feb'2010)

M more visible on orkut. I used to come here as a silent *** for verbal, doing questions and leaving...Below are some of my views. doing 50% of what I have written, Shd give u decent score

After so many people asking how to approach for studying GRE, I have broken this down as per time duration. I haven’t read site for preparation strategy but I think this is just my take, but please ^n, I am absolutely no one to pass or make u a schedule for studies as you are the best judge of yourself, and trust me no one could give your exam better than you. Ha ….I write well….Coool

Three Months Prep Strategy

I have heard from a lot of people that three months are minimum required for GRE, Well according to me, it totally depends on your need, If you are the whiz kid this might be a childs play, but if you think you are average and need to work on, you need to plan well, Well I did not plan well at all, I just kept doing things and never bothered what else is to finish because I used very limited material to prepare with.

For three months, I bet you should finish every aspect of this exam, For verbal Barrons + non barrons words ( you can collect Non barrons from Dr. Raju Verbal Database) , plus tons of practice from bigbook and other sources you may find. Quantitative is Generally easy for most of us, but after arriving here I saw a lot of people doing some really silly mistakes and please they were no calculation mistakes, it was really lacking principle, Like once I saw someone arguing with me about the value of 10^-1 being negative. So this is no judgement on anyone, its just that we have forgotten and just need to have a look at it again. This is all what quants ask according to me. More than 90% of the people on the forum give CAT, 80% go to coaching classes for CAT to IMS or CL or times and trust me the level there is way too high for a simple reason that you can skip questions on CAT and but not here. Ill tell in detail of how to deal with Verbal and quant both in details below

A basic Schedule for three months can be
A month for Vocab, I mean at atleast two rounds of the whole 50 lists.
Another 20 days for 2-3 rounds of the whole 50 lists. By 4 rounds I believe things will be on your grasps.
Rest time, should be done for Big book and barrons, I think that’s more than enough. Try to solve big book twice and use the notepas version I have uploaded. Its got Analogies / Reading comprehensions / antonyms / SCs all as different sets which will really work great than the stupid PDF tests which are really hard to look at.

Parallel with the Vocab, Start with your quant, R S aggarwal is best for this, Even the Firangs Download and study it, I read this on Test magic. Practice individually and finish as per your convenience, I don’t think Its gonna take more than a Month. Switch to NOVA next for other things like Geometry, P&C, Co-ordinate etc. you can do that whole book in 7 days ( if you are lazy). After this is done, Start with the Database, Try not skip any question, unless the question itself is ludicrous. The DB I uploaded is from January 2008 to march 10th 2010, Download that and keep updating whenever it updates. Its really amazing for practice. If you cant do questions, post them here, You’ll find a lot of people ready to answer you and you should too participate in these discussions as it ll lead to a lot of shortcuts. Last 2 weeks can be given to tests and revisions to be planned by you.
One month Prep strategy

Even if you are whiz kid, chances of vocabulary being great are ludicrously long shot. In such a scenario, don’t beat the bush and think of finishing everything in the world. Instead, if you are working, take a med leave for a month, show some broken bones or jaundice…and start off

For verbal, Download the wordlist from majortests.com, its got 1500 words all stacked as per similar meanings or as technical term says synonyms. Besides these, pick up the high power barron words. That’s it, no more and no less. If you get time , just have a look at the verbal database for the last three months, I Think this will take the boat.
The above can be done in parallel with maths in 20 days tops. Its crash course, you gotta work hard. Start with big book next day, and that can be over in 5 days maximum.You’re done for verbal.
For maths, Download NOVA SAT math bible, amazing, finish it in arnd 7-8 days, and start with the database ASAP. Try n finish the whole thing till the last one is updated on the Dr. raju Site. Don’t participate in the forum, but be good observer. Because you are in a state of watch your watch.
Last 3-4 days, give 1 powerprep, depending on the score give another. If you get really good, Try for Kaplan, and before the exam give a Cambridge ( it’s a feel good exam)
Above if done sincerely, An *** or a dumb like me can get around 1200-1300, but keep the mind open throughout the month.
Individual Section Preparation

Verbal

Depends, Really Totally depends. How you want to approach. Just remember don’t go for the overkill, If you remember lets say 2500 words, and if you find a question which doesn’t give u god damn clue, Piss on it and move on. Unless u r aiming for 800 in verbal. The best thing about the adaptive thing is you get an easy one after a wrong, but after a row of right answers, you still get an easy question. Just try not to get wrong in a row. And keep an attitude, like I am the best, **** the rest. Really helps.

Barrons is the most comprehensive, yeah I am barking again, but yeah do it in such a way that u remember the exact meaning of the thing, you may forget the word but the sounds can really lead you to the meaning. Some people try prefix and suffix but really it doesn’t work everytime. Loathe/ loath . Wrath/writhe , inveigh/inveigle/invective, list similar sounding words together, you would never face a problem. A voracious reader is at a great advantage on this paper and I am not talking about nancy drew girls or chetan bhagat or hardy boys. I am talking really good words, Because the verbal is harder than SAT. Mnemonics help a lot of people but sometime mnemonic leads you to a wrong meaning, so try n make your own, it ll lead you to the correct meaning. Keep in touch with your vocab. I know when u practice questions you wont be able to read the words again, So keep a week to revise the whole thing. Capacity and grasping power really matters so work it out your way. Some people love the time table, but Generally So called engineers make a plan but it keeps revising because of some or other beer party or release of a new movie. Just suit yourself here, because it requires a cool mind and a hot head cant do it.

I did the wordlists in a scrambled way, not alphabetically, Because When I read Abase, Abash, Abate all in one breath, I got Bamboozled and said, I need scrambled and I found one too. I have posted that on the forum and I know it ‘ll help atleast 20% of you who read this. Its better to learn from someone else’s *** getting rambed , than putting your’s on the line.

Analogies

Well, With the words, it would be awesome, if you learn the parts of speech, just basic, noun, pronoun, verb, adverb stuff like that, Its given in probably 5th standard English books. Or more sophisticated Wren and Martin. The reason is that even if bad luck clashes with the words on exam and you don’t have an idea on the words, you can identify parts of speech and match accordingly. Makes sense doesn’t it. The nouns, collective nouns, male female type analogies hardly appear. So whatever is there in barrons and big book, that’s really more than enough. Following are some tips
 Create a sentence that includes the two capitalized words. Ideally, the sentence should reveal the essence of the relationship between the two words, and should not be so specific that none of the answer choices will fit, or so general that several fit. Here are two examples of the types of sentences that might zero in on the correct choice:
One possible function of a [first word] is to [second word].
[First word] is a condition that is necessary in order for [second word] to occur.
 Eliminate any answer choice in which the two words are unrelated to each other. Typically, at least one answer choice will fit this description. You can eliminate all such choices without even considering the original pair!
 If you know only one of the two words in an answer choice, you can always take an educated guess, even with just one of the words. You can often eliminate an answer choice by knowing just one of the two words.
 If one of the original words has either a negative or positive connotation, the corresponding word in the correct answer choice will be similarly "charged." But if the original word is neutral, the corresponding word in the correct answer choice must be neutral as well.
 You can often guess the meaning of unfamiliar words. Any of the following might provide a clue about what a word means:
Another word that resembles the word in any way
The word's root or prefix
The meaning of the other word in the pair
 Look out for the sucker-bait answer choice that involve the same subject as the original pair. More often than not, this sort of answer choice is wrong.
Antonyms

Probably the easiest. If you know the word. The only catch is secondary meanings of words which often appear. This is the direct test of your vocabulary.  Try working backward — from an answer choice to the capitalized word — to help gain insight if your stuck. Try to think of a single word (not a phrase) that expresses the opposite of the answer choice. Ask yourself whether your antonym for the answer choice is a good synonym for the headword? If not, you can eliminate the answer choice.
 If an answer choice stumps you, resort to intuition by asking yourself two questions:
Can you express the opposite idea using only one word (as opposed to a phrase)? If not, the answer is probably wrong.
Can you imagine hearing the headword used in connection with the answer choice's antonyms? If not, go with your hunch an eliminate that answer choice.
 If you're stuck, try converting a word to another part of speech. Many GRE words are difficult to deal with simply because their part of speech (noun, verb, or adjective) is not commonly used. Turning the word into a more familiar form can help.
 Be sure to look for an antonym, not a synonym! This might seem like obvious advice, yet it's amazingly easy to get everything backwards during the pressure of the actual exam. The slightest lapse in concentration can result in your carelessly choosing a synonym instead of an antonym. Avoid "synonym syndrome" by always verifying your choice before you move on.
 Resolve close judgment calls in favor of the more specific antonym. This is another one of the test-makers' common ploys, and it is sometimes the key to distinguishing a best response from a second-best one. Always be on the lookout for this ploy!
In most Antonym questions, the best answer isn't a perfect antonym. The test-makers can't resist hiding the ball from you; so don't expect to find an exact opposite among the answer choices.

Reading passages

I ask nothing, Really just 2 passages a day , just 10 minutes of a day. If u can do this for a month, I guarantee atleast half the questions on RCs on the D day will be right. Big book RCs are really tough, and even GRE exam have easy passages compared to them, If you are good with them, you’ll kill any RC that comes your way. The tips for RCs can be read from any book you feel like, but really one ugly truth is that there is no shortcut. You got 2 solve the puzzle.
Sentence Completion

Perhaps you just to understand the mood of the sentence, and it’s a test of your language skills more than the vocabulary. Following are some of my tips
 Look for key words and phrases in the sentence that tell you where the sentence is going. Is it continuing along one line of thought? If so, you're looking for a word that supports that thought. Is it changing direction in midstream? If so, you're looking for a word that sets up a contrast between the thoughts in the sentence.
Words signal blanks that go with the flow:
and, also, consequently, as a result, thus, hence, so
Words signal blanks that shift gears:
but, yet, although, on the other hand, in contrast, however, nevertheless
 To get your mental wheels turning and help you to "get into" the question, first think of your own words that complete the sentence at hand. Although you shouldn't expect to find your words verbatim among the answer choices (most GRE Sentence Completion questions aren't that easy), determining up front what sort of words you're looking for will help you zero in on the best answer choice.
 Don't choose an answer to a dual-blank question just because one of the words is a perfect fit. As often as not, one word that fits perfectly is paired with another word that doesn't fit well at all. This is the test-makers' most common Sentence Completion ploy; don't fall for it!
 Check for usage and idiom problems if you're having trouble homing in on the best answer. Sentence Completion questions cover not just overall sentence sense but also word usage and idiom (how ideas are expressed as phrases). So eliminate any answer choice that makes any part of the sentence confusing, awkward, or sound wrong to your ear.
 In dual-blank questions, if you can eliminate just one of the words, the whole choice won't work, so you can toss it out and go on.
 Don't confirm your response until you've considered each and every one of the five answer choices. Remember: The qualitative difference between the best and second-best answer choice can be subtle.

Quantitative Section

If you’ve just begun your preparation, your first step should be to solve all the math exercises in the NOVA SAT BIBLE guide. In this book, each math concept is given separately followed by a set of exercises based on that concept. This arrangement is very useful because it helps to gauge how well you can apply the concept you’ve just learnt and pinpoint your weak areas., the NOVA SAT BIBLE guide is an indispensable part of your preparation because it covers all the basic definitions related to number theory (prime numbers, whole numbers, etc.) and geometry (peculiar properties of certain figures). But remember that all the necessary concepts are not covered here.

Next going, is to pack some chapters from R S aggarwal. Believe me the real Quant of maths amazing and high level, but the concepts of percentage, profit loss, ratio, time and work are amazing and to put the cherry the data interpretation is amazing and closest to Real GRE with every kind of question covered. Following are the chapters that should be covered through QUANTITATIVE APTITUDE R S AGGARWAL

Number system
Surds
Percentage
Averages
Profit loss
CI SI installments
Mensuration
Ratio
Mixtures
Data interpretation
Rest all can be covered by NOVA SAT Maths Bible. I think after this exercise, you’ll be prepared for the test of Dr. Raju Question bank of more than 2 years that I have posted on the forum. These are real GRE questions, and believe me they do re-appear and also even if they don’t You will know what kind of questions are actually asked. The solutions shd be worked out by you, and Any Trabahos can be posted on the forum where everyone can discuss and solve.

After this exercise, Start giving quant tests, there are 5 in Kaplan ( individual Quant Tests), 2 in powerprep and 10 on majortests.com, Try and finish as many as possible.

Pay special attention to the following concepts, since they’re tested most often on the real GRE.

1.Statistics (mean, mode, SD, range, ND, graphical representation of ND)

2.Quadratic equations (roots, type of roots, number of roots, positive and negative roots, etc.)

3.Series (AP, GP, series definition, nth term of a series, etc.)

4.Number theories (divisors, remainders, GCD, LCM, prime factors, number line, etc.)

5.Probability (counting principle, basic probability, coin and die tossing, arrangements, etc.)

6.Speed and work problems (relation between speed, distance and time, rule of 3, rule of 5, etc.)

7.Some other concepts (ratios, inequalities, etc.)
Please don’t be a Data collector for this Exam. Because I have seen people clamoring for material and when they have, they cant decide which to choose.

And the above is Genuine write-up by me also posted on Testmagic...the link of which can be found by PMing me

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2010 08:30 PM by ManU_.)
10-12-2010 08:25 PM
NickRobheart Offline
Edulix Associate

NickRobheart Offline
Edulix Associate

My TOEFL Experience

My test was about 5 and 1/2 hrs, I never thought I had so much patience Infact.
Reading section was almost good, I missed out last 2 Q because the time has expired and the worst part is those last questions were worth 2 points or more.
The guy beside me was actually shouting his paragraph while he read(arghhh..moron Brick wall )
My system was slow and I had to wait more than 2 -3 min for each "next" click I press but took this as a good advantage, coz in the meanwhile I referred many points from my notes(which i have written during the lecture/conversation), being pretty conversant with the main idea or the lecture.
Everyone has started speaking when I was having my Listening section(Since I got a dummy section again which made me sick for a while). So I was distracted very much but kept calm. Next was my turn to speak, I was like shouting my answers distracting them while they write (revenge Razz ).
My Writing section went fine . Done, reported and got out of the center.

Im Nick & Im Alcoholic

InfoBank | PS Mega Thread | Helpful Guide
10-12-2010 09:22 PM
wignesh Offline
Edulix Super Senior

wignesh Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 2
^^
The guy beside me was actually shouting his paragraph while he read(arghhh..moron Brick wall )
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Next was my turn to speak, I was like shouting my answers distracting them while they write (revenge Razz ).
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Not doing profile evaluations anymore. PM me regarding MS/PhD Civil Engineering queries. Please don't tag me in any posts as I am not very active in the forum.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2010 09:35 PM by wignesh.)
10-12-2010 09:32 PM
MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

MadWiFi Offline
Edulix Maven

(10-12-2010 09:32 PM)wigneshmail Wrote:  ^^
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Next was my turn to speak, I was like shouting my answers distracting them while they write (revenge Razz ).
LaughingLaughing

++1
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Not active in edulix now-a-days. Please shoot me an email iff its extremely urgent. I am not doing any profile evaluation till Fall 12. Thanks
My VI
10-12-2010 09:50 PM
Sol Invictus Away
Edulix Senior Member

Sol Invictus Away
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 12
Copy-Paste No. 4 Wink

Umm, so just came back from the GRE centre ( had an evening shift @ sukrit Smile )
Not worth mentioning much since i screwed up big time. Anyhow as always, i will keep writing Very Happy

First i got the AWA section, pretty easy, though i did not prepare much, and i barely read how to write arguments, still it was easy. Topics were pretty simple and you could formulate stuff about it from thin air. Now i know how badly i messed my AWA too Razz

Then had the 10-min break, but i came back in 5 and started the test anyway. Started with quants, and that kind of baffled me since i was used to getting a headstart with verbal in my bag, as in the powerpreps, initial questions were easy but as soon as i picked up i got this vague feeling that i'am attempting them wrong. And that feeling kind of stayed till the end. Anyhow i finished the quant section with about 4 mins to spare.

Then came Verbal, which ultimately lead to the demise of a perfectly good score Mad. I had this thought stuck inside my head that i have screwed up quant, hence could not focus on the verbal. I was even marking the sc's wrong. Never in my practice days did i need more than 25 mins for verbal, i always finished well within the stipulated time, even kap tests, with 38 ques to go, and always getting >30 right.

I say this inspite of my good prep that the verbal section was a bit dodgy, rc's were tortuous and i could not zone in on one answer. Last few questions i marked in a hurry since i had about 7 questions left and 3 mins and a rc to go. So i marked haphazardly.

Final Score- 1330 (Q790,V540)

The quant score kind of pissed me off, since i wrecked my GRE 'cause of the fear of not getting a good score and hence taking it again, but any day this score is better than scoring low in verbal+scoring low in quants Laughing! Was thinking of cancelling it, but sense prevailed, and i didnt.
Sent my score to 4 universities- Cornell, Purdue, Iowa State, Penn state.

For future appers, quants was a piece of pie that you can gobble up even on a full stomach! But give attention to it. So all the talks that GRE has made tests difficult than previous months are all rumors, study well and then nothing can stop you!
All the best!

I have TOEFL on the 23rd of october, will write its experience as soon as i'am done with it Smile.

Go Big Red! Go Cornell!!
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2010 09:03 AM by Sol Invictus.)
10-13-2010 08:56 AM
RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

RobinHood Pandey Offline
Career Consultant

I guess we should restrict ourselves from writing "Thank you" and other greetings for recognizing the Experience.Shame on youShame on you
You can give greeting through PM.

10-13-2010 09:28 AM
PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 16
repost :: 5

MY GRE EXPERIENCE

il be concise..... i started with an easy essay on leadership and tackled it with perfection...The argument had a very weak flaw so it took time for me to analyse it...so i don't think i did well....
Then i started with verbal section .... sentence completion were perplexing but i think i got most of them right...and i found antonyms the easiest as most of them were from barron's and the best thing was options were'nt close . Analogies had all easy words but finding the bridge between root words and options was the determining factor. Coming to RCs ( where i actually screwed up ) i got a 45 lines RC at 6 mins which i did properly and then i slowed up due to some really good sentence completions . Then i got another RC as my 21st question with 12 mins to spare.....the RC was on american litrature and i think even author had no idea what he wrote ..... so i got stuck at that question for next 6 mins but coudn't figure out any definite answer to any question so i marked them randomly ... so then i was left with 6 questions with 6 mins to spare and again i got at a RC at 4th min and again i panicked. So i felt that my gre dreams are shattered .
Maths was quite solvable .... easily did many questions but question on standard deviation was not a standard one ...so couldnt do it ...and i was not sure about two more questions ... so finally i got a score of 770 in maths + 550 Verbal .... net : 1320....

10-19-2010 04:22 PM
heathledger Offline
Edulix Active Member

heathledger Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hi Guys,

Gave My GRE today. Scored 1300 (790 + 510). I am really satisfied with the Score. I have been following this thread for the past one week. It's very informative, Great job ppl. My experience.

Woke up at 7 in the morning. Reached center at 8. Got my details verified. Started my exam at 9. AWA was pretty easy. Didn't practice it much during my preparation. Finished the section well within the time. Next was Verbal. Got lot of words from Dr Rajus and all the words are from barrons. Sentence completion questions were pretty easy. First passage(25 lines) was damn easy. Didn't had enough time when Second (85 lines) and Third (75 lines) passages came and they were very difficult. Analogies were a bit tricky. Found two three answers to be correct . Next was Quant. Quant difficulty was moderate and couple of questions were really time consuming. First DI question was pretty straightforward. Second was damn difficult. I then got an experimental argumentative passage section, really surprised .

My powerprep scores were 1180 and 1210. My confidence dipped drastically after those scores. So, Guys Powerprep scores doesn't really matter as long as u have confidence in u. Verbal these days is very easy. devout a lot of time to quants practice.

All the best to future test takers.

http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6136

Why Choose Edulix Over Counselors

"I didn't choose to be an Indian, I just got lucky."
10-20-2010 12:10 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread