GRE and TOEFL Experiences
anmolshkl Offline
New Edulixian

anmolshkl Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: GRE and TOEFL Experiences
Phew! I gave my TOEFL yesterday (25-03-2017) and it was horrible! To set-up the background: I got 332 (170, 162) in GRE last year and I think I have reasonably good spoken and written English. So, I assumed I wouldn't have a problem with this one.

I gave TOEFL in Bengaluru at Prometric test center (Prestige Shantiniketan). The center looked pretty much like my GRE test center (in Mumbai). I had prepared, hmm, let's say adequately having given 5 ETS mock tests (along with the noteful videos). But the only thing that matters during the test is your ability to perform in those conditions (also along with your English, of course). Now, GRE was fine but TOEFL is a whole different thing especially when you have to speak/listen when 10 other people are speaking. This would really affect some people (like me) and it would make you nervous. That's the moment when you cannot think and that's what happened with me. Reading section was perfect but the listening section was bad. At times, I missed some part of the lecture/conversation as I was so busy taking notes. Speaking section was a nightmare and I couldn't just articulate myself. I kept repeating and fumbling. Finally, the writing section was mediocre but the format of the independent essay was really weird! It provided 3 choices and asked me which one would I prefer and why. I was expecting a very standard question but I handled it nevertheless. I just hope that I get 105+ Sad

03-26-2017 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Christy7 Offline
New Edulixian

Christy7 Offline
New Edulixian

TOEFL is the test with much broader audience than GMAT. One should be well aware of this fact while planning the application process!
05-25-2017 11:44 AM
nrsinquest Offline
New Edulixian

nrsinquest Offline
New Edulixian

I just got my TOEFL scores. I scored 111 (reading 29, listening 27, speaking 29, writing 26).

I had given it in Prometric centre. The centre was professionally managed. I was not confident of my speaking section because despite of my practice at home, when it came to speaking during the test I sort of frozen. It seemed unnatural speaking to a PC Monitor with the clock ticking down. I was highly confident of my writing skills and was expecting 30.

However the actual results turned out to be very different.

So I had a total of 10 days preparation before the exam. And also since lot of years I have been an avid reader of books and writer on blogs. So it is not just the 10 days of preparation which helped me.
08-08-2017 11:55 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread