UWash - MSIM v/s UoA - Eller MIS v/s UCin - MS IS
emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
UWash - MSIM v/s UoA - Eller MIS v/s UCin - MS IS
I've to reply to UofA and UCin in a matter of few hours.
Read all posts on UA and UC stickies but nothing seems too alluring to make me decide for sure.
I've also gotten into UW.

The criterion is
  • Ranking of the program (Important since each is ranked differently under a different rank!)
  • Job Placement Scenario (All seem to be showing the same)
  • Reputation of the course
  • Reputation of the School (I don't care much if the certificate is from a B-School or an I-school)

P.S
I'm eagerly waiting for CMU 16 month MISM and NYU MSIS. If one of them comes through, these three are gone!

Still I have to pay 500$ to UC and UA asap! So I need to know where i can invest!

Any input would be a-w-e-s-o-m-e! Smile

Infobank

CMU|UWash|UoA|UCin|GaState
Stanford|UCB|Columbia
NYU|Dartmouth|Cornell|Maryland|UIC|Duke
03-15-2011 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
hood robin Offline
Poster of the Year MBA/MIS
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

hood robin Offline
Poster of the Year MBA/MIS
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Likes Given: 4
RE: UWash - MSIM v/s UoA - Eller MIS v/s UCin - MS IS
Hi Emperorniks

# Ranking of the program (Important since each is ranked differently under a different rank!) - You have banged the nail on the head. Cant really comment then rationally on the rankings.
# Job Placement Scenario (All seem to be showing the same) - UC is better than Eller in getting jobs faster. I believe the placement cell is more active in UC.
# Reputation of the course - Eller should score above UC.
# Reputation of the School (I don't care much if the certificate is from a B-School or an I-school) - Eller should score above UC when you consider overall US.
Location wise UC is at a better location than Eller is my final take.

Regards
Hood Robin
Unisearch||| ||Unisearch Creation
03-15-2011 03:54 PM
harvijay1001 Offline
Edulix Active Member

harvijay1001 Offline
Edulix Active Member

i'd say secure the place in UCinn(personal opinion) and wait for the NYU admit.........
if that comes along, then go for NYU

03-15-2011 04:02 PM
PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 16
+1
Go for UCin . They have been very selective and Course is extensively focussed on SAP.

03-15-2011 04:15 PM
emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

(03-15-2011 03:54 PM)hood robin Wrote:  Hi Emperorniks

# Ranking of the program (Important since each is ranked differently under a different rank!) - You have banged the nail on the head. Cant really comment then rationally on the rankings.
# Job Placement Scenario (All seem to be showing the same) - UC is better than Eller in getting jobs faster. I believe the placement cell is more active in UC.
# Reputation of the course - Eller should score above UC.
# Reputation of the School (I don't care much if the certificate is from a B-School or an I-school) - Eller should score above UC when you consider overall US.
Location wise UC is at a better location than Eller is my final take.

Super thanks to hood robin, harvijay1001, PredatorX for so efficiently summarizing these. Since I got CMU yest night, I'm taking it up. But, after hours of deliberation over Cincy Eller and Wash, here's my research. I'l post everything I've thought and researched so far, so I can justify the cause of being on this forum and help any other person in a similar dilemma.

I'll cover all the points anyone can have.

1. Rank - Well for 2011 - Eller is ranked #5 in the Information Systems under B - School in USNews, UWash is #7 in Computer Science and #4 in I-Schools, Cincinnati is low ranked. Now Computer Science rank matters as we're going to take electives from Comp Sci and they will reflect in the transcripts and eventually on the overall profile. Eller's rank is godlike! Even Stanford is ranked # 9 in that list so it obviously comes with a lot of respect and reputation. But there is NO single list. There is even a list of MIS under Public Affairs in USNews. But I checked each and every school's URL in it and all depict the Public Affairs and Management course and NOT what we're going to. So don't be fooled by that either. Rankings is probably the worst way to start looking for MIS/MSIM/MSIS/MISM/MS in IS (or whatever trillion ways this course is called)
  2. Cost - Important for only those who want ROI. See a two year investment in CMU can lead to 75K in expenses (Don't quote me here, I'm being as vague and approximating as possible). The average salary of 2010 is about 89K~90K. So if you have to return after the visa expires the overall cost is 90K-75k ~ 15K per year + 90 k every year. But if we deduct the tax and expenses, it will take about two years to break even on 75K income and about five years to break even on 75k savings!
    As on even 30% tax on 90k. The salary dips to 60Kish..! Mad

The stats are (non-intuitively better) in other collegs. Let's assume UW. The I20 amount was 40kish and average salary 75k. (Assumed, please don't hard-quote me). UW can be substitued for any other university for similar expenses). Even after a 30% tax break the 75K turns to 53K (in contrast to 65K for CMU).

So not only shall you have to take a smaller loan, but earn much faster. The ROI would increase. Break even would be faster, and technically speaking : If you and the CMU friend start your master's the same time and stay for less than 3-4 years. You'l come back home with much MORE moolah! Smile

Thanks to Paras Doshi for helping me see this point. An extremely important angle to this.
  3. Placements - The different angle view - Thanks to Sinu Koshy for making me realize this.
    This is an entirely different angle compared to clichéd placement scenario, and you'l realize this.

UCin v/s Eller

UCin takes highly selective students from India per year. => Less overall international students. Now the competitiveness in any batch is not for placements but for companies which offer H1-B's. Sinu told me some companies which don't give H1-B's at all. So a student at UCin would be at advantage with less indians around him for a better chance at placement. Not only do the statistics count (average package and blah blah) but the prospective chance of getting a good placement too. So this is how you should also think!
  4. Location

Well location may seem extremely stupid but the weather and the closeness to big cities is very very important. So is the visa issue. From what I know, and I'm not entirely sure of this, but, each state there has its own visa formulations. So a Arizona resident might have to apply for NY resident for a NYC job, complicating the paperwork. So a Eller graduate, if offered job in Arizona, would be stuck there irrespective of the package. And IMHO, big Tier I cities are the places where amazing careers are made, there are exceptions of course, but those are exceptions after all.

So check this very deeply.
  5. Answering/Replying/Sending the 500 USD

The 500 usd is a big deal for requesting the I-20's. A real pressure situation. It's this that creeped on to me the most. A 25,000 waste is not what anyone wants to look for. A simple solution is email. When I mailed cincy stating a few documents were missing and I wouldn't be able to make the 17th March deadline, here's what they replied. * shell-shocked in appreciation*

"Here’s the supplemental form. You can scan and email the forms, assuming you have available technology, but make sure your name and “MS-IS” are on the deposit when you send it by courier. I will be on vacation March 18-25 (first time in Hawaii) so won’t be able to process your form until the end of March if it’s not here in time. On the other hand, I won’t be here to cancel applications, either. We can make this work."

So the colleges are a-w-e-s-o-m-e. They don't want to loose you as much as you don't want to. Leastwise the good one's care. Remember that.
  6. Reputation - Resume, grandchildren and what not
    Well this is not a pragmatic viewpoint, but one needs to flaunt after all. Basic human nature. A CMU admit or a Stanford admit would be much better publicized among peers than a lowly Cincy admit. So arizona would much better rank with a known city, a high USNews rank and a much better potential flaunt. This influences only 5% of decision but is vital never-the-less. And even if you count it as non-vital. It's important to be conscious of that fact.

I'l keep on editing as I come across better points. That's my five cent.

Infobank

Stanford|UCB|Columbia
03-16-2011 12:48 PM
PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

PredatorX Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 16
Nice analysis ... Smile

03-16-2011 01:18 PM
mmar Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mmar Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 7
Good stuff emperorniks! Applause

Here's another general thought:
Shouldn't the program objective be taken in to consideration? Shouldn't the program of your choice provide you with skills and knowledge required for *YOUR* career aspirations?

U Cincinnati, Eller MIS, U Wash MISM - all these programs have their own mission, direction and inclination. They are different.

My point is, if you are not interested in going where the program takes you, ...

My VI
MIS Univs
MIS Fall'11 - Decisions & Destinations
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -- Seneca
03-16-2011 10:16 PM
sinuk45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

sinuk45 Offline
Edulix Active Member

@Nikhaar - Hey...Congrats on the CMU admit...Applause

Fall 2011 |MS| MIS |GRE-1340 (Q-770,V-570,AWA-4.0) |TOEFL-106| Acads-80%| 2+ yrs exp
Unisearch
Final Destination - UC MSIS - Fall 2011
03-17-2011 09:29 AM
emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

emperorniks Away
New Edulixian

Thanks Sinu! Smile

Infobank

Stanford|UCB|Columbia
04-01-2011 10:40 AM
Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Now i find myself in a similar dilemma. I put forward my points regarding UC-MSIS(I have confirmed the admit)

and UWAsh MSIM.. (Have time till April 15 to confirm my admit).

A brief about my profile:-
I have been working as a an analyst for my client, which involves taking in user requirements, giving an estimate of the work units required to complete , doing the work(coding) myself and work on any regression testing and stuff.

The technology i work on is SAP ABAP. So it is a customized tool that i work on.

My 2 cents about both these universities.

UC MS-IS :-
1. The co-op program integrated as part of the course is very interesting.
2. Though it has a strong SAP tag to it, seniors(even those who have previous SAP exp) beg to differ and say that SAP is just a specialization. (Tie up with SAP America is also a plus point) . Not many electives on offer. (If you are interested into SAP , most of the elective credits are wasted in this specialization. Correct me if i am wrong. )
3. The classroom course can be completed almost fully in the first year. And you get to payback any loans in your second year of the program.
4. The career services at UC is very active as i can see. Job seeking and co-op are also good.
5. Located in Ohio(which doesnt have many companies) is a partly negative point and hence the active career services.
6. Their class profile is greater than 2 years experienced.
7. With UGS/TA/GA ... cost can be reduced to less than 17 to 20 lakhs. They have a semester based fee and hence you can extend the no. of credits you take to the maximum. (18 per sem to pe precise)
8. the range of paypackets as guessed by seniors(many seniors dont reveal their pay ) is 60 to 70k.

UWash MSIM :-
1. This i-school is inclined very much towards management of the information part. Their course is well structured with info-sec, info-org , management and technology as their specializations mentioned in their website.
2. It is located in Seattle. Hub of major companies. ( Seniors settled in USA have a view that companies prefer hiring from local universities. )
3. They have a credit based fee structure. So a total of 65(credits) * 683($ per credit) is the total tution fee.
So it is on the higher side nearing to >25 lakhs.
4. 4 credits go towards the internship ... and it can be extended to 12(i.e. 8 more) Though you recover fee a little bit , you also have to pay for these credits.
5. Their class profile is a healthy mix of freshers and experienced people.
6. They dont track the graduates much for getting a feedback for the pay packets, but the minimum info which they have suggests a median pay of 69k. (I have info of a 2010 BE passout engineer in India , graduating from Uwash in 2012 with a pay of 76k in 1 of the Big 4) .
7. You have access to many research areas being conducted in UW.

So my question now is how do i make a decision between these 2 universities. I dont want to be limited to 1 technology (SAP in my case) and want to have a healthy mix of management topics as well. In the end my aim is to be Systems Analyst or Information Architect not related to any specialized too as such.

How do i make markers for any differentiation between these universities.
As a brand UW > UCin.
Fees is not a major factor to be considered.

Any inputs from seniors :- The_Observer , the_phenom , @[Silent_Observer] , mmar The_Mentalist

AVAILABLE FOR ADVICE. UWASH MSIM
03-22-2013 01:09 PM
The_Mentalist Offline
Edulix Senior Member

The_Mentalist Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 35
My opinion is that either school you go, you won't be losing much. Yes, the exposure to tech industry will be obviously more in Seattle. See the courses and flexibility of curriculum and make a decision.
UW has good repu as a tech school, so personally I would pick UW.

I am not active anymore.
03-23-2013 12:01 AM
the_phenom Offline
Edulix Senior Member

the_phenom Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 2
8. the range of paypackets as guessed by seniors(many seniors dont reveal their pay ) is 60 to 70k.

Do u mean other non UC seniors keep on telling u the pay ?? This is a shocking blame..I would like to brainstorm you that you shouldnt ask/seek people their pay in any country/language..If you are getting that info from people (informally) then well and good..but if you are not getting from people who cannot talk informally with you dont blame the people..You can find avg pay from other sources,uni websites etc..But saying "SENIORS DONTREVEAL THE PAY" just baffles me here..

The Phenom <--- Infobank
University of Cincinnati MS IS Class 2014
@[the_phenom] - GMAT (MIS) evaluator | F1/F2 VISA HELP

"Anail nathrak, Dorthnei diednei, Anail nathrak, de era umbrana"
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 11:41 AM by the_phenom.)
03-26-2013 11:36 AM
Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

the_phenom .. no disrespect meant to anybody. I am sorry if you are offended. I didnt target anybody. This is a honest query. And by no ways did i mean that only UC seniors dont reveal the pays. Can you just give me a suggestion on what should be my choice of selection based on. I am of the view that if you perform well , network well and portray yourself well (with a bit of luck ) you will be able to succeed.

03-26-2013 11:48 AM
coolguru Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

coolguru Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

I would personally pick UWash, for the location and school's reputation. UC simply doesn't carry well beyond Ohio.

If tuition fee is not a major factor for you, you are better off being at UWash. (and I don't know the cost difference between the two).
UWash will open doors that UC cannot.

UWAsh's program itself appears to be more solid than UC's which is very SAP-focused. Never get yourself into a corner with one specific technology focus. That may seem nice as a talking point for immediate purposes, but you can milk UWash for a long time..
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 03:01 AM by coolguru.)
04-06-2013 03:00 AM
Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Arsenal_Forever Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Thanks coolguru .. your opinion nails it for me. Smile

04-06-2013 09:12 AM