Please guide - Stanford MS&E vs CMU MISM vs Berkeley MIMS
godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Please guide - Stanford MS&E vs CMU MISM vs Berkeley MIMS
I have admits from these courses. Will like contributions for making a decision.
*This comparison is as per my knowledge of the courses. Please share your views.. I'll update this post accordingly.

CMU MISM vs UCB MIMS vs STANFORD MS&E

Course Structure-
Berkeley - MS in Info. Mgmt. Systems (MIMS) offered by the iSchool.The course is more research oriented with specific emphasis on Information and its various aspects.
CMU - MS in Info. Systems Mgmt. (MISM) offered by the Heinz college.CMU's is more on professional lines.
Stanford - More on MEM lines, the course is Mathematical and analytical but there are wide range of options provided.

University Brand / Repute
Well all three - Stanford, CMU and Berkeley are world reknowned and figure among the Top in the rankings. In terms of Brand I would say Stanford has a slight edge.

Duration
Berkeley - 21 month program. (2 years. 48 credits for degree..can go for more). RAs/TAs manageable with the course. Most of the students get some form of work which makes you qualify for In-state tuition.
CMU's MISM - 16 month program. The course schedule is pretty hectic. Scope of RA/TA only in the 2nd/3rd Sem.
Stanford's MS&E - 18 months - (5 quarters +1 Internship. 3 doesn't look feasible for me..). Not much scope of TA/RA/Part time work..(as per the website)

Placements
All have good placements.
Berkeley - placements are more towards User Design, Technical fields.
CMU - placements are among the best. Has a slight edge for moving towards Consulting.
Stanford - site doesn't have any info. but should be good..(have to check)
Berkeley - Technical >> Consulting/Business Analyst etc.
CMU - Technical >= Consulting/Business Analyst etc.
Stanford - ?????

Stanford, Berkeley - California ! Well one of the best locales to live. Cost of living including expenses - $1100-$1200 / month.

CMU - Pittsburgh ! Nice place..away from the big city life. Cost of living including expenses - $700-$800 / month.

Batch / Diversity
Berkeley - more selective in its admissions. Batch Strength - Current is 40 with 5 indians only. Most people are with work experience of atleast 3-4 years.
CMU - batch strength of 120-130. 60-70% Indians/Asians. Includes freshers, and most of the ppl wid 1-2 yrs. of experience at max.
Stanford - Batch Strength is 120.

Tuition Fees (on paper as I have no scholarships as of now)
Berkeley - $60K
CMU - $65K-$70K
Stanford - $50K - $55K
All the universities will cost in the range of 30 Lakh INR on paper. CMU will be on the higher side. Berkeley will be the cheapest and CMU the most expensive one if we consider the TAs/RAs etc.
Cost is not a predominant factor in decision making !(I'll be taking loans for my education. TAMU and Syracuse not in the plans atleast for now.)

My Dilemma..
I'm liking the course at Stanford but don't know how i'll be able to leverage my work-ex with the course. Also, there is dearth of information about the course. I have no problem in staying with IT but Stanford provides me with an option of moving out of it which others don't.
Post my MS i'll prefer to work in consulting or analytics.

Infobank | Profile Eval
Stanford MS&E
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2011 12:28 PM by godisthere.)
03-18-2011 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
arnabh Offline
New Edulixian

arnabh Offline
New Edulixian

RE: Please guide - Stanford MS&E vs CMI MISM vs Berkeley MIMS
If you are open to moving out of IT at a later stage, then Stanford should be your final destination.

Leveraging your prior work-ex is a minor hiccup which you can easily get past, if you structure your electives according to your future career plans..

You can look at the work profile of MS&E seniors on LinkedIn..which can further help you take the final call.

03-18-2011 12:18 PM
imemyself000 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

imemyself000 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 1
RE: Please guide - Stanford MS&E vs CMU MISM vs Berkeley MIMS
@godisthere
Dude! This is one battle everyone would love to post! And this is one battle in which the one who has it will search for a gun to shoot through his head before he chooses one of the schools!Surprised Very Happy
Each has its own history of fantastic students, research and accolades and thus a justified legendary status!

I'm in no way going to interfere with your query by flaming and I have absolutely no idea on what to vote on too! Razz I am going to subscribe to this thread and just wanted to say a BIG congrats to this amazing coup! Fantastic bro! SmileApplause

Cheers!

P.S: A small suggestion from my end would be to ask you to look at your career goals and see how these align with the course structure to make your final call. And don't make a decision you will regret later! Smile

My Infobank Profile

MSIS Student | Kelley school of business
Indiana University, Bloomington

Let's go Hoosiers!
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2011 03:39 PM by imemyself000.)
03-18-2011 03:37 PM
Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Stanford MS&E would open a new arena - Investment Banking / Financial Analysis which can aid you earn big bucks but do choose only if you like it from heart.

Unisearch Information

Temper takes you into trouble, pride keeps you there.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2011 04:46 PM by Green_Horn.)
03-18-2011 04:45 PM
madster26 Offline
Edulix Active Member

madster26 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Career Aspirations:
IT + Management -> CMU
IT, Non IT + Management -> Stan
Techie(CS) But Not Too Core -> Berk

Cost:
CMU ~ Stan > Berk

Chance Of Aid:
Berk >>> CMU n Stan

Selectivity:
Berk > Stan >>> CMU

Recognition:
Berk~Stan~CMU

Job/Internship Prospects:
Berk ~ Stan ~ CMU

Salary:
Berk ~ Stan ~ CMU

These are the criteria that most people look at. Some people give more weightage to certain aspects more than others. At the end of the day its your call. I would suggest you give relative weightage to each of these criteria and give the univ points depending on their ranks. Which ever univ scores the highest according to your own criteria, go for it without having second thoughts Smile No one else can make this decision for you. ATB

Oh shoot i jus realized you have jotted down all these criteria in ur post as well. My bad Very Happy
Oh shoot i jus realized you have jotted down all these criteria in ur post as well. My bad Very Happy

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2011 01:29 AM by madster26.)
03-19-2011 01:27 AM
Ancalagon The Black Offline
Poster of the Year - PhD Forum
Edulix MVP

Ancalagon The Black Offline
Poster of the Year - PhD Forum
Edulix MVP

This decision depends solely on what you want to do after graduation.

Ready to Rumble.

Infobank Profile Link
03-19-2011 01:37 AM
godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

@madhu.. Thanks mate ! u summed it up nicely[/align]

Plz some more suggestions.... Seniors.. plz pitch in..

Infobank | Profile Eval
Stanford MS&E
03-20-2011 04:16 PM
thepenumbra Offline
New Edulixian

thepenumbra Offline
New Edulixian

Hi, godisthere

It's wonderful that you posted this thread. I'm in a very similar debacle in between Stanford MS&E, CMU MISM, & CMU HCI. I've talked to a lot of friends from Stanford and the placement seems to be ambiguous. On the one hand, a lot of people get into top financial companies, while some simply have to return to their native countries afterwards.

So the way I see it is like this- Stanford MS&E being a very general top program has a huge variety in terms of the student composition. Plus, since it's not specialized in sweat-and-dirt coding, the placement is not a guarantee. If you land in something, it's going to be lucrative. However, it's also possible that you may bomb it. So it's high risk, high return.

While CMU MISM is really a fascinating program in placing you into a programmer type of job, and less so into management consulting. The placement looks good because let's be honest, programming is always desired in the U.S., as not everyone wants to do that. But, as a senior pointed out, it's more likely than not that you are going to be doing what you have been doing previously. That being said, every year a few do get top tech consulting positions, but that hinges on many things, including your background and how your profile fits in.

Have you talked to anyone from Berkeley iSchool? I think it's really a fantastic academic program with a lot of potentials (I also applied and was very attracted by its emphasis on information). You really have to talk to the almuni to get the full picture of placement though, since each individual has different background coming into the program and the general stat may not say much about your particular likelihood of replicating the model.

The one thing to keep in mind though is that iSchool is a very awkward appellation, as traditionally it is grouped into library science school (for many ischool=library school). Berkeley has made a lot of inroads and has potentially transformed how information school is defined. But you do have to pick your classes carefully to market yourself. Many know that it's not at all a "weak" program (especially for people in the field of HCI, but cannot say much about smaller employers in other subfields) but you will have to compete against Berkeley's own Biz school, CS department, and the HCI group in their EE. Don't get me wrong, I actually love love this program. If potential income were not an issue, that totally would be my top choice given my academic profile and interest.

Stanford's program is perceived as semi-soft and in some ways not highly thought of inside the Stanford alum community. That being said, you still get excellent professors, interesting classes in vastly different topics, and the top employers do come. It is less personal, as it's bigger, but it is also a lot more flexible in terms of what you can make your program to be. If you are interested in biz/finance though, you will be well advised to do the Finance/Operation Research/Decision Analysis tracks. So in that sense, how much your previous experience weighs in really is a question.

I would say Stanford name is actually a LOT bigger in the U.S. than Berkeley or Carnegie Mellon for most general employers. (the problem with Berkeley image is simply that their undergrad program is not as highly regarded and graduates tons of okay-but-not-the-most-elite students, which tarnishes the overall brand despite of their postgrad prowess.) Having the Stanford name is a definite advantage if you want to broaden the geographical scope of your job search.

Regarding to individual program's reputation, Stanford program suffers from the same thing as Berkeley's iSchool-namely, both don't sound too serious (management science and engineering). While Berkeley ischool is known among the HCI employers, similarly is Stanford's MS&E rehabilitated among those who work with Operation Research and Decision Analysis.

A word on consulting, you will probably be way better off in Stanford if you want to work on management/strategy consulting, as these firms really only care about your overall university brand name and then how you respond in interviews with cases. Tech consulting may be a forte of CMU, I am not sure though how many who didn't already work in the field before the MISM break into the field through the program. Berkeley, I simply have no clue. You should ask the alums. My gut feeling is that it is not designed for consulting. If anyone does it, it probably is within tech consulting, but I could be wrong.

In my case, I myself lean more towards Stanford MS&E and CMU HCI (sort of similar to Berkeley iSchool but not really) due to my academic interests despite of the MISM 9K aid. (I actually did only humanity and have no previous background in CS or Engineering. Henceforth I feel that going into coding straight may make me regret later on in terms of how I like the job etc.)

Btw, did u apply for the Information Science track in Stanford and do you happen to know any seniors in that track? (From what I heard, Info Sci/Tech is basically structured as EE, which can be good or bad for you. In a way, look carefully at all the courses offered at these three programs and see which appeal to you more...)

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 07:11 AM by thepenumbra.)
03-22-2011 06:01 PM
godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

@penumbra..
ApplauseApplause nice post !

msg ur gmail ID..we have a google group for Berkeley and STAN both !
Lots of seniors have responded to the queries about Berkeley.. but we are currently short on info. about the STAN course..!

I completely agree with the appellation thing.. and yeah both Berkeley MIMS and Stanford MS&E are not considered that prestigious possibly because of their interdisciplinary nature.. and fewer no. of applicants..(I have seen ppl not applying just bcoz they thought they won't make it..)
Good piece of Info u shared on STANFORD.. and am trying to get in touch wid ppl there..!I did prepare my SOP as per the Info. Science track but ur free to take the courses.. and I ain't decided yet.!
Stanford's marketability is higher ..but if u like research den it has to be Berkeley w/o doubt !
I'm beginning to incline towards the Stanford course because of the Options it's offering.. but just want to make sure.. and need some info. on the placements !

Infobank | Profile Eval
Stanford MS&E
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2011 11:13 AM by godisthere.)
03-23-2011 11:58 AM
fairy1 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

fairy1 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(03-18-2011 03:37 PM)imemyself000 Wrote:  @godisthere
Dude! This is one battle everyone would love to post! And this is one battle in which the one who has it will search for a gun to shoot through his head before he chooses one of the schools!Surprised Very Happy

truly so... Smile

i too am torn between UCB and CMU for MIS.

(03-19-2011 01:37 AM)Ancalagon The Black Wrote:  This decision depends solely on what you want to do after graduation.

rightly said... but what if i don't know what i wanna do as a career Wink

i would like to mention 2 worst things abt my decision makind process right now:

1) i have no work ex. so after grad from UCB, i would be competing with super intelligent ppl who have an edge over me because of their RELATIVE work ex

2) i am currently working in retail sector (which has got NOTHING to do with IT... just a heads up.. i have done engineering in IT) for just 4 months and so after grad when employers ask me why retail sector and then MIS, the only words that i could probably say are:

"Oh! I just want to know more about other fields and I didn't want to be a programmer and just do coding.. which is what usually companies in India provide us after engineering"

any suggestions...? Angel

Suhani
My Infobank
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2011 02:08 PM by fairy1.)
03-26-2011 02:06 PM
reshsabu Offline
Edulix Active Member

reshsabu Offline
Edulix Active Member

In addition to very relevant points already mentioned by penumbra and others,one more important factor you need to consider is whether employers who hire students from the program are open to sponsor H1s.

We know that for CMU MISM, this is not a hassle. There are several H1-sponsoring employers who hire from the program. But, in a class like UCB where there are just 5 Indian students in a class of 40, I would recommend that you try networking with students of current batch to find out the correct scenario.

Usually, there are many H1 friendly employers who hire for IT and consulting. But, if you are switching to a different field, find out if it is easy to find an H1 sponsor.

03-26-2011 07:14 PM
godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

godisthere Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thanks reshsabu, penumbra .. point well taken !

Infobank | Profile Eval
Stanford MS&E
03-29-2011 11:12 AM
mmar Offline
Moderator Emeritus

mmar Offline
Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 7
+1 Good point Resh...where you headed to?

My VI
MIS Univs
MIS Fall'11 - Decisions & Destinations
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -- Seneca
03-29-2011 12:07 PM
MissTee Offline
New Edulixian

MissTee Offline
New Edulixian

Bump.

I'm in the same situation ( CMU & UCB ) but based on the course structure and marketability, from the information out there CMU MISM seems to come out tops. UCB MISM is more tailored to research as other poster mentioned, CMU seems to be pragmatic and strikes a good balance between the tech and business.
04-09-2012 09:46 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
MissTee: First and foremost, please complete your UniSearch profile up at the earliest. That out of the way, you'd need to identify your exact interests. As penumbra pointed out above in his (her?) post, it is offered by the iSchool. While this isn't a bad thing, but iSchool is kinda a niche thing. Meaning, most employers are most likely to group you with library and information sciences majors (note that information sciences is not the same as information systems, but there are overlaps). Now, if you're even a bit interested in getting involved in research, either during your MS, or after it, go to Berkeley. For jobs, see this is the way I see it: UCB has a cracker of a program, and the name will take you far, but you'll have to take courses relevant to your interest and tailor your resume according to the jobs you're applying for, in order to get interview calls. While the UCal brand will take you far, it won't be enough on its own.

Also, keep in mind, that most people out of CMU MISM do end up as developers/coders/etc. and don't immediately get to dive head-in into the business side of things. What that's due to, I don't know, maybe the person's interests, circumstances, etc. but you need to be prepared for that as well, especially mentally.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
04-11-2012 12:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread