whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
UTA or UTD??
Hi Guys,

Can someone compare the course offered by UTA and UTD and give your comments?

Please include other considerations such as location, cost, RA/ TA/ Internship, Job opportunities and ROI.

P.S. - I stubled upon a post in an anonymous blog where it was mentioned as UTA is a better choice. But couldn't find any justification. Till then i considered UTD as the better of the two!
Can someone throw some light??

infoBank

~ You will never win if you never begin
03-23-2011 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: UTA or UTD??
Hello

These are my 2 cents

. Eller is better ranked but UTD has equally good rep in job market and amongst industry members in the DFW area.

I understand most of Eller grads come to DFW area for jobs and thats where UTD is located

UTD has been ranked next to UT Austin in Grad school rankings and is better in the Biz skool rankings which offers the MIS course

UTD is more cost effective and definitely most of pass outs have got jobs but it all depends on the students efforts same case in Eller from what I hear

RA/TA Both are bad and in UTD mainly due to increased competition

amongst students , from my understanding.

Internship and Jobs? advantage UTD of course(Alum feedback)

Now its your call, all the best

(03-23-2011 03:30 PM)whitefalcon_007 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Can someone compare the course offered by UTA and UTD and give your comments?

Please include other considerations such as location, cost, RA/ TA/ Internship, Job opportunities and ROI.

P.S. - I stubled upon a post in an anonymous blog where it was mentioned as UTA is a better choice. But couldn't find any justification. Till then i considered UTD as the better of the two!
Can someone throw some light??

03-23-2011 04:28 PM
Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(03-23-2011 03:30 PM)whitefalcon_007 Wrote:  I stumbled upon a post in an anonymous blog where it was mentioned as UTA is a better choice.

Tripe, crap and what else. UTD is way better than UT Arlington (if thats what you meant).
Dallas is a pretty big city and that would work in your favor.

Unisearch Information

Temper takes you into trouble, pride keeps you there.
03-23-2011 05:09 PM
Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

@all

Yeah must excuse myself, well I meant Eller vs . UTD.

which was slightly off but nonetheless such info is useful too.

Thankfully Green Horn saved the day.

(03-23-2011 05:09 PM)Green_Horn Wrote:  
(03-23-2011 03:30 PM)whitefalcon_007 Wrote:  I stumbled upon a post in an anonymous blog where it was mentioned as UTA is a better choice.

Tripe, crap and what else. UTD is way better than UT Arlington (if thats what you meant).

03-23-2011 05:22 PM
whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(03-23-2011 05:09 PM)Green_Horn Wrote:  

I agree! But do you think is there anything where UTA holds the edge against UTD?

infoBank

03-23-2011 06:03 PM
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
Did any of you even bother seeing how far UTD is from UTAr, eh? Arlington TX is not even 50 miles away from Dallas TX, and is considered to be a suburb of Dallas. In fact, the Dallas Cowboys' football stadium is located in Arlington. So do yourself a favor & take the whole "Dallas is in the DFW area so it has an advantage over UTAr" factor out of your reasoning because now that is tripe, crap and what else.

Dallas is a very big city, as you've said, and other nearby locations like Irving or Arlington are considered to be suburbs of Dallas, that make it even bigger in terms of area. And the companies in the DFW area are all spread out and know both these univs well. The only advantage UTD has over UTAr, is when you see the rankings. Coming to the costs, UTAr comes out to be a couple of grand cheaper, in fact, and it has some on-campus jobs where UTD has nearly none.

Now decide.

PS: And you know what else? If any of you bothered seeing the UTD campus address and checking it out in a map, you'd see that UTD is also not in or near downtown Dallas. It is also located in a suburb of Dallas called Richardson, so technically speaking even the other argument of "UTD is in Dallas" falls flat on its face.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 08:41 PM by The_Observer.)
03-23-2011 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Vishwanath_101 Offline
Edulix Active Member

@mscsaspirant

Thanks for enlightening us on this aspect
Yeah well I guess we learn something new every day ,especially on Edulix.

(03-23-2011 08:39 PM)mscsaspirant Wrote:  Did any of you even bother seeing how far UTD is from UTAr, eh? Arlington TX is not even 50 miles away from Dallas TX, and is considered to be a suburb of Dallas. In fact, the Dallas Cowboys' football stadium is located in Arlington. So do yourself a favor & take the whole "Dallas is in the DFW area so it has an advantage over UTAr" factor out of your reasoning because now that is tripe, crap and what else.

Dallas is a very big city, as you've said, and other nearby locations like Irving or Arlington are considered to be suburbs of Dallas, that make it even bigger in terms of area. And the companies in the DFW area are all spread out and know both these univs well. The only advantage UTD has over UTAr, is when you see the rankings. Coming to the costs, UTAr comes out to be a couple of grand cheaper, in fact, and it has some on-campus jobs where UTD has nearly none.

Now decide.

PS: And you know what else? If any of you bothered seeing the UTD campus address and checking it out in a map, you'd see that UTD is also not in or near downtown Dallas. It is also located in a suburb of Dallas called Richardson, so technically speaking even the other argument of "UTD is in Dallas" falls flat on its face.

03-24-2011 12:51 AM
xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Hi

I visited UTD n UTA in feb 2011.
If you compare in –
Location: UTD in Richardson which is approx 30 min drive from dallas downtown and
UTA is 45 min drive from dallas downtown so I think the location is approx same.
Repo (faculty + student + other things): UTD business school is better than UTA
Cost: Living cost is same but pls check the tuition fee on thr website.

Hope this info helps you.

03-24-2011 04:10 AM
whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thanks guys! for the whole new perspective.
Anyone wants to comment on the course structure in the two schools for MIS?

infoBank

03-24-2011 08:29 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

^ Coming to that, UTD is probably the better choice. Unless I'm mistaken, that MSITM program has been in existence longer than UTAr's MIS program, and is kinda better known. I cannot comment on the faculty/student quality at both places, but as xps says, UTD might be better in that respect as well. Ask respective students to comment here - jaguar from UTAr and Sagar Mehta from UTD.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
03-24-2011 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

whitefalcon_007 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thanks mscsaspirant!

infoBank

03-24-2011 09:34 AM
xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

hi guys just a comment-
college hardly matter in us! the only thing matter is job n u must hve a good at the end of ur course.
n to get a good job 2 things u must hve-
1. good reference
2. good knowledge of d course u studied
n people choose top schools only coz of thr names as alumni frm that school r at good position n thy cn get good ref.
best of luck guys!

03-24-2011 12:33 PM
Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Green_Horn Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(03-23-2011 06:03 PM)whitefalcon_007 Wrote:  I agree! But do you think is there anything where UTA holds the edge against UTD?

Try this link.

Unisearch Information

Temper takes you into trouble, pride keeps you there.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2011 10:40 AM by Green_Horn.)
03-25-2011 10:35 AM
xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

xps Offline
Edulix Frequent User

keep UTD in preference to UTA.
That's all i can say! but UTA is not that bad! Its a good univ.!

03-26-2011 04:56 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Green_horn: Do keep in mind that the thread whose link you've given, is from 2003. Although most points from it are valid even now, some are not. So, do not base any crucial decision upon that one thread, and collect info from different sources before you decide. Good luck.

03-26-2011 05:18 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread