EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Tapatalk App
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Spring/Fall '16 in the Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read this profile evaluation guide before making any evaluation threads.
If you have a query, always use Edoogle [Edulix Search using Google Custom Search] to check if it has been answered before. Here is an overview of the whole application process.
Edulix New Delhi Meet 2016

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
GRE Edge review
nisheel Offline
New Edulixian

nisheel Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
GRE Edge review
Hi.. I am going to give the GRE exam in the current pattern. I am weak in the Quant section and got 720 in the kaplan mock tests. I want to get an 800. I heard about GRE edge online practice and the quant master course in it which has unlimited quant CATS included with the course along with lots of practice.

Can anyone tell, if they know, how effective this course is? I was impressed by the claims they have made and the testimonials written. Is it good? And can you suggest me some practice material and tips for getting 780-800.

I have practiced from 1) Barrons 2) Kaplan math workbook 3) m Doing math nova and R.S. Agarwal. Thanks.
04-13-2011 01:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 109
RE: GRE Edge review
Not worth it.

You've done enough already. Solve Nova, solve loads and loads of sums and practice tests. The only way to increase your quant score is to practice.

Don't go for GreEdge. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

SOP eval guidelines have changed. Please read this. Do NOT send me PMs requesting personal SOP reviews, they will be ignored.

Destination CMU

My VI
04-13-2011 01:45 AM
Soching Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Soching Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 2
(04-13-2011 01:17 AM)nisheel Wrote:  Hi.. I am going to give the GRE exam in the current pattern. I am weak in the Quant section and got 720 in the kaplan mock tests. I want to get an 800. I heard about GRE edge online practice and the quant master course in it which has unlimited quant CATS included with the course along with lots of practice.

Can anyone tell, if they know, how effective this course is? I was impressed by the claims they have made and the testimonials written. Is it good? And can you suggest me some practice material and tips for getting 780-800.

I have practiced from 1) Barrons 2) Kaplan math workbook 3) m Doing math nova and R.S. Agarwal. Thanks.

Instead of spending some thousands on GREedge I would like to suggest take Big Book tests yourself under timed conditions. I'm sure after completing BiGbook tests you'll feel more confident.

Dream for Best, Prepare for the Worst!

ProfilEE
04-13-2011 10:04 AM
nisheel Offline
New Edulixian

nisheel Offline
New Edulixian

hey thanks for the suggestions..yes, i have started practicing under timed conditions which is very important. I think i'll get it with practice. still have one and a half month for the exams. So i have time.
04-13-2011 06:32 PM
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 11
Unisearch profile please!

Regarding your query, Nova and Barron's should suffice. Try more timed tests like cambridge, 800test.com etc.

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!
I can reply to the tags now. Please do not send personalized 'blogs' in the PM. Tag me, and I will reply as soon as I get time.

Cheers!
04-14-2011 10:02 AM
iav Offline
Edulix Senior Member

iav Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 1
Be thorough with Novas.Keep looking at Dr Raju's forum for the quant database of previous 4-5 months.Try doing Princeton review also if you have time.

Please tag me if you need my attention.
Infobank
Edulix Google
Tag me for embedded systems/VLSI profile evaluation
04-14-2011 12:08 PM
shan23 Offline
Edulix Active Member

shan23 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
(04-13-2011 01:17 AM)nisheel Wrote:  Hi.. I am going to give the GRE exam in the current pattern. I am weak in the Quant section and got 720 in the kaplan mock tests. I want to get an 800. I heard about GRE edge online practice and the quant master course in it which has unlimited quant CATS included with the course along with lots of practice.

Let me share my experience with GREEdge as well here, as people should know what they are getting into.

I had signed up for the "Complete GRE" program, which lasted for 6 months. Here's my thoughts on my experience...

Pros:
  • I really liked the quant tutorials, as I had forgotten many elementary points in Geometry - these tutorials helped me brush up my memory in quick time. But I had to say, even if it was useful, it was presented in "last night mug-it-up" format - here's the property, here's an example, move on to the next, without bothering to give its proof (At GRE level, all geometry proofs take at max 5 lines, but that aids immensely in understanding). I personally proved all geometry properties from net/on my own while preparing, and this helped me immensely in boosting my confidence !!
  • The wordlists were also pretty nice - I especially liked the way in which all antonyms and synonyms of a word was posted in the same page with the word.

Cons:
  • The wordlists had no way to mark "difficult" words - i.e. words which are new to you and you want to get back to revising them later. In case you intended to do so, you have to manually note down the wordlist number, word number - and then, since the wordlist opened sequentially, go through all n-1 words before opening the nth word !! Talk about an inane UI designer !!
  • More examples of a terrible UI - even if learning module was great, it was a nightmare trying to revise !! There was no way to smoothly go from one topic to next - at the end of each topic, one had to encounter the infuriating page "Revision is an important part blah blah..." (we know that, that's why we are trying to revise in the first place, following which one was taken back to the main index, where I had to choose the subtopic, and then i got to the subtopic's index, and then (phew!!) I could reach the next subtopic !! I really beg the GREEdge team - please, do an usability test before launching your design - any person would be infuriated by the number of needless clicks needed !!
  • The exercises in the Verbal module were a lot inane - they should stick ONLY to the format of questions in the GRE, and don't invent formats of their own. This isn't a general purpose program, but one meant specifically for GRE - so while the instructions can and should be innovative, the tests at the end should not !! I got questions like "find the synonym of", which isn't present on GRE !!
  • There is NO WAY to evaluate AWA essays in the structure of the program - considering I enrolled for "Complete GRE", I expected something for AWA. But there was nothing !! Thank god for Barron's that I managed to do reasonably well there. Even when I took the initiative to send essays directly, I didn't get the kind of feedback that I was looking for (a merely quick reply that it was "good" isn't much of a help - someone needs to go through the kind of commentaries provided by ETS in their sample CD).
  • At no point of time, did I feel that the tests were actually adaptive - while writing CAT in Princeton Review and the actual GRE, I could actually feel the questions getting progressively tougher, but not so here....this was a big disappointment to me, which caused me to attempt only 5-6 of their adaptive tests. On top of that (this feedback is equally true of both verbal and quant), at the end of the test one gets an obtuse graph, not a score !! Its the test programs job to interpret the graph, not the test takers !!
  • The content team for quants needs to understand what constitutes a HARD GRE question - its NOT a problem that takes 3 long multiplications and 1 long division to solve, but rather a tricky question where the answer is deceptively simple, but most people would not get the catch at first glance. In the actual GRE, there was ONE question where I actually had to do a long division, and this was the 25th question (I had gotten everything rite before - i had ample time to double check!!) - and that was the ONLY one. This is well reflected in the Princeton Review Online CATs - they were the closest one can get outside of the actual GRE (I got 3 straight 800's before I went to GRE, compared to which my score in the GREEdge program never crossed 700, as I was frustrated by needlessly verbose problems with loooong calculations but no "twist"/ catch to it). Again, you can see why I didn't bother completing them !!
  • Last but not the least, the SFA's take a bit of interest in you during the "orientation", but after that, its hard to get in touch. At least my verbal SFA was nice - she took the initiative to talk to me and tried to help me out on AWA (though her feedback wasn't enough IMHO). But as far as quants was concerned, it was a total loss - doubts remained unanswered for weeks, and by the time I got an answer, I had forgotten all about the question !! Anyways, Ive always believed in self-study, so I didn't care too much about SFA participation - but I thought about giving this warning if someone expects to get daily/weekly feedback from their SFAs !!!
In case you are wondering if I'm taking out my frustration due to poor performance, fear not - Both my quants/verbal scores were above the 94th/98th percentile respectively (also, got 5.0 in AWA) Smile...
I'm simply unhappy at the value for money I got, considering the tall tales on the website. Seriously, honestly, truthfully - I would have been better off without spending this money.

Since this is about GREEdge, I won't mention what I used to prepare and what I think is more than sufficient...Refer to this post for that !!

Infobank

My GRE Strategy | GREEdge | My VI

Fall 2012 | PhD | CS(Theory) | GRE 1510 (710v, 800q, 5) | TOEFL 116 | MTech 85% | ISI
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 09:46 AM by shan23.)
05-29-2011 08:00 PM
RobinHood Pandey Offline

RobinHood Pandey Offline

Likes Given: 19
shan23
I dont care which preparation forum you use but DONT post links of the other forums in this forum.

06-03-2011 03:13 AM
shan23 Offline
Edulix Active Member

shan23 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
(06-03-2011 03:13 AM)RobinHood Pandey Wrote:  @[shan23]
I dont care which preparation forum you use but DONT post links of the other forums in this forum.

Sure - updated post accordingly. I've linked to a post (my own) in Edulix - I hope that's not a problem ? If so, feel free to edit it out as well.

Infobank

My GRE Strategy | GREEdge | My VI

Fall 2012 | PhD | CS(Theory) | GRE 1510 (710v, 800q, 5) | TOEFL 116 | MTech 85% | ISI
06-03-2011 09:38 AM
sheldon_cooper Offline
New Edulixian

sheldon_cooper Offline
New Edulixian

Can you suggest more regarding GRE Edge Verbal Ability ?
Is there any other web-site that offers mock tests for Verbal Ability ... How can one work on improving the his verbal ability ?
03-08-2012 02:34 AM
31337_Sh4d0w Offline
Edulix Senior Member

31337_Sh4d0w Offline
Edulix Senior Member

You have done enough and dont need greedge. I would suggest you to solve nova,barrons etc. I used their service and it did not help me much. Its kind of okey and keeps you busy learning.
03-08-2012 11:56 AM
dnem Offline
Edulix Active Member

dnem Offline
Edulix Active Member

(03-08-2012 02:34 AM)sheldon_cooper Wrote:  Can you suggest more regarding GRE Edge Verbal Ability ?
Is there any other web-site that offers mock tests for Verbal Ability ... How can one work on improving the his verbal ability ?

sheldon_cooper

in my opinion, gruber's new gre guide does the job better than others. barron's is good too.
as for online resources, i used number2.com . also try freerice.com

ATB Smile
03-10-2012 11:58 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread