Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4 Average
All the books and materials related to revised GRE & Feedbacks for the same.
bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
Unisearch: Link
All the books and materials related to revised GRE & Feedbacks for the same.
Hello Guys,

From different sources, i have come across following Materials for revised GRE. People are welcomed to add new materials if they know any. Consequently, we can create single thread which contains list of all the prep materials for Revised GRE.

Powerprep-II

Bigbook (RCs, sentence completion, Quant : especially DI)

Barrons (Wordlists & Quant. With revised GRE, hard core mugging of words certainly of no use rather it requires deep insight of words. Don't go off with the rumors that revised GRE doesn't require good vocabulary. Actually, new format is more tougher then previous form as it requires actual understanding and application of same no of words and just knowing the meaning of words wont work.)

Nova (RCs, Quant)

The official review for revised GRE by ETS

Cracking the GRE 2012 by Princeton Review.

Book by Kaplan.

Book by Barron. (will be available by july)

So presently there are three books which are available for revised GRE i.e. by ETS, Princeton and Kaplan. Main concern is how good they are? Does it really worth to purchase all of them?

Any one who is already using any of these three books for new revised GRE can present their views and it would be really helpful for others.

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 07:33 PM by bhargavraj.)
05-22-2011 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ksk91 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ksk91 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 107
RE: All the books and materials related to revised GRE & Feedbacks for the same.
Guys,Beware about DI.These days its unpredictable.My DI questions were on standard deviation(3 questions) and a friend of mine got probability based on graphs(4 questions).Gone are the days of finding average,percentage et al from the charts.

I guess the vague disciplines of questions people are getting in existing format could be incepted in new format as a standard.

(05-22-2011 07:28 PM)bhargavraj Wrote:  So presently there are three books which are available for revised GRE i.e. by ETS, Princeton and Kaplan. Main concern is how good they are? Does it really worth to purchase all of them?

Any one who is already using any of these three books for new revised GRE can present their views and it would be really helpful for others.

I cant comment how good they are for new format.But i'll tell you about those available for the existing format.

ETS guide: I personally found it very simple and straight forward.You may use this for start up and increasing speed.Dont rely on it.This is for existing format.Dont take my words for granted for new format.

PRINCETON: I happened to borrow two of their books from a friend who attended their coaching.Their GRE Guide is decent.Most of verbal words are from barrons.But they also provide something called supplementary book.That has some real tricky and hard questions,which appears if you belt around first 15-16 questions.Get it from someone who is attending princeton coaching in either old or new format since there aint much change in Q.

University of Southern California. MS CS. Class of '14.

Fight on!

I wont be evaluating profiles for sometime as I'm busy grad schooling. However, tag me in the USC specific thread for any queries/doubts related to USC CS.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 05:27 PM by ksk91.)
05-22-2011 08:28 PM
bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: All the books and materials related to revised GRE & Feedbacks for the same.
ksk91: Thanks a ton...

I second you regarding the point you made about DI.

BTW How did you get a chance to go through new GRE test? By PowerprepII or Princeton CD or something else??

Any Idea about Kaplan book for new GRE ?

Further, Are the tests available with Princeton's CD comparable with Poerprep-II?

(05-22-2011 08:28 PM)ksk91 Wrote:  ETS guide: I personally found it very simple and straight forward.You may use this for start up and increasing speed.Dont rely on it.This is for existing format.Dont take my words for granted for new format.

For new format also ETS Guide is available. And if you are referring the same than do you want to make the point that ETS guide for new GRE is not up to the level of new GRE test? If is it so then nothing worst than it.

PRINCETON: I happened to borrow two of their books from a friend who attended their coaching.Their GRE Guide is decent.Most of verbal words are from barrons.But they also provide something called supplementary book.That has some real tricky and hard questions,which appears if you belt around first 15-16 questions.Get it from someone who is attending princeton coaching in either old or new format since there aint much change in Q.If you dont get,let me know,i'll scan and upload them on web.

Thanks a lot. I'll try to get it from someone if it is possible. Do you have books for revised format of GRE or for existing one?

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011 11:19 AM by bhargavraj.)
05-23-2011 11:18 AM
mclarenrulz Offline
Edulix Frequent User

mclarenrulz Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Cool thread. I think in spite of the fact that the patttern has change the preparation order might be the same for all of us... First words, then vocab and in parallel quants. and lots of practice. But in our case the practice material is less and time is short (if we want to grab the 50% discount) Razz

May the mass times acceleration be with you!!!
My infobank

TU Delft | TU Eindhoven | NCSU | UAS Bonn-Rhein-Sieg | EMARO | EMECS | Universität Stuttgart | UMD | Esslingen
05-23-2011 02:18 PM
bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

bhargavraj Offline
Edulix Active Member

^^ : +1 !!!

05-25-2011 12:11 PM
ProfessorV Offline
Edulix Active Member

ProfessorV Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 4
I have bought ETS guide and Kaplan.

ETS Guide is really good and explanatory, practice questions are in 3 different levels - Easy, medium, hard - which gives feel of how new pattern will be.

Kaplan made very little changes in it's old pattern book and difficulty of questions is little high.

06-24-2011 09:49 PM
srams Offline
Edulix Frequent User

srams Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
New Barrons released.... Now available on FLipkart

http://www.flipkart.com/books/0764146165
06-26-2011 01:49 AM
shivgan3g Offline
Edulix Active Member

shivgan3g Offline
Edulix Active Member

Check out the videos on youtube as well....
07-01-2011 01:26 PM
algo_girl Offline
Edulix Active Member

algo_girl Offline
Edulix Active Member

Hey is the NOVA book for the revised GRE the same as the old one, especially for quant practise?

Optimists see stepping stones, pessimists see stumbling blocks
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=7470
Destination:Columbia University
PM/Tag me for MS/PhD-CS Profile/SOP/LOR reviews
07-03-2011 12:39 PM
uietinfy Offline
New Edulixian

uietinfy Offline
New Edulixian

Hey All..Has anyone got New Barron's? Is there any difference in the Vocab Review section w.r.t older versions of book? I have 18th edition of Barron's. I am planning to learn words from the old edition. I would buy for some other book for practice of new GRE. Is it fine or I should by Barron's for new GRE as well? Which book has more number of sectional practice sets and actual tests?
07-11-2011 05:25 PM
GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 14
Even I have a similar query as that of uietinfy. I am about to start learning the words as well. Which book/flash cards are complete and up to date with the new GRE?

My Infobank | My Visa Interview

I only reply when tagged. Tag me for Chemical Engineering profile evaluations.
07-12-2011 01:32 PM
ProfessorV Offline
Edulix Active Member

ProfessorV Offline
Edulix Active Member

I dont think mugging barron's all wordlists will help for those who are taking revised GRE. Instead, high frequency words from barron's, kaplan will be helpful.
(Ordered Barron's "Essential Words for the GRE")

Since, verbal section in revised GRE more focuses on reading comprehension, I will prefer to read Newyork times editorials and novels which will improve reading skills and more exposure to new/unknown words in practical sense.

07-12-2011 03:38 PM
srividyaappy Offline
New Edulixian

srividyaappy Offline
New Edulixian

Can anyone tell me from we have to prepare for Analytical Writing. and do the topics come from the pool mentioned in the ETS website.

07-12-2011 07:24 PM
gupta879 Offline
New Edulixian

gupta879 Offline
New Edulixian

Hye friends i want to know
is 1200 score in GRE enough to take admission in good university for MS in Industrial engineering??

can u please suggest some univ names???
07-18-2011 12:58 AM
nothingman023 Offline
Edulix Active Member

nothingman023 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 62
Hi,

I am new to this thread but I have been studying for the revised GRE test for quite some time. I started off with Barron's GRE word list and I am done with that. I bought Barron's New GRE, Official Guide by ETS and Kaplan Premier for 2011-12. Here is a brief review(of course, it's a personal opinion)-
Note:-I have just done verbal. Maths shouldn't be a big deal for Indians Smile
1. Official Guide- Well, it's the most authentic book on GRE so we should accept whatever is given in it as the truest form of expected GRE questions. The questions have been categorized into three types-easy, medium and difficult. Easy ones are too easy and there is very less focus on the vocabulary part. The other two types require good command in vocabulary. Since I have done the complete word list of Barron, I hardly encountered any word outside its lists. So, mugging up words is somewhat useful. I used somewhat because you would also encounter questions in which you would know the complete meanings of all the words in all choices and yet you would get the question wrong. Yup, that makes revised GRE harder. Just understanding the words and their meanings is not sufficient. You got to have good command in understanding the text also. The subtlety of medium and hard questions is awe inspiring. But the number of practice questions is too less. Just 25 questions each for sentence completion and RC. Now coming to RC...It's very easy to increase difficulty in this section by introducing questions with multiple answers. Almost in 90% of the questions I have got wrong in RC+Sentence completion, I have not been able to guess all the choices correct. Say if the correct choice is B,E,F...I would guess BF correctly but since I did not choose E, all the hard work will go in vain. I was also surprised to see questions of pure reasoning and kind of calculative in RC. They would give you some kind of figures and then the choices would have different interpretations of it. Selecting a sentence in the paragraph were easy questions. The size of the RC passages was quite manageable. 2 mock tests-one in book and one in CD. Cost: <600 bucks. Explanation and all are pretty good for each question.

2.Barron's(19th Ed) - Lots of disappointments. There is no wordlist given. You will have to refer to old Barron's books. I had to spend 1200+ to buy this book from Flipkart. Mine is imported edition. Please check if there is any Indian edition available. 60 practice questions for Sentence Completion and just 13 for RC. SC questions were stressing too much on the vocabulary part. The complexity in sentences was almost nonexistent. This tendency would hurt a lot. I think now getting a question correct requires two things-full understanding of the word meaning and interpreting the sentences. The evil thing now is that there is (x)AND(y)AND(z) condition. You get any variable wrong, you get the whole thing wrong. I tried to do Maths section also but got bored with the difficulty level(easy) and left it in the middle, i would take up Maths section of all the books together someday. 4 mock tests - 2 in the book and 2 in the CD apart from a diagnostic test.

3. Kaplan Premier - I have not personally read this book but one of my friends has just bought it through FLipkart. Price<700 bucks. Good buy. It comes bundled with 6 mock tests. One in book and 5 in the CD/online. I got to check it. My friend was pretty happy with this book. More details about this book and other books I buy will follow in the subsequent posts.

Final Verdict: New GRE has become sinister in nature. Mugging words ain't sufficient.

Give me a stage where this bull can rage
07-23-2011 11:53 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread