ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Internship for Spring admits?
Hi All,

Many of us apply for Spring session admissions(like in UTD MS ITM, MIS in GSU, NYU etc).

AFAIK, international students have to be enrolled as F-1 Students for 9 months before they can intern.

So for Spring admits, when do they typically intern? Usually Fall students intern in summer and internships are most prevalent in summers ( most universities also offer less courses in Summer). If they can't intern in summers, what do they do then? Head back home if no courses are available?

Any seniors who have an idea about it? (Esp. in context to MS ITM @ UTD Spring Admits)

05-28-2011 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away

Likes Given: 118
RE: Internship for Spring admits?
You can intern in the 2nd summer of you stay here (after your 3rd sem). However, in order to get an internship at that time, you should be coming back to school for at least another semester - and this is a requirement for any internship in any company, that you've got to go back to school after the period of the internship finishes. Anyway, getting an internship after your 3rd sem might be a bit tricky because you'll be competing not only with your fellow Spring batchmates, but also people who've come during the Fall. That makes for a huge number, and while ideally there should be no preference of one over the other, Fall folks might be preferred at some places because they're going to be longer in school than you, and hence some companies might prefer taking them on after an summer internship as a co-op, rather than having to hire them immediately in a full-time role.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
06-01-2011 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks for the reply !

Is it possible to intern in the following Spring rather than Summer?
(after studying in Spring and Fall).

(06-01-2011 10:54 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  You can intern in the 2nd summer of you stay here (after your 3rd sem). However, in order to get an internship at that time, you should be coming back to school for at least another semester - and this is a requirement for any internship in any company, that you've got to go back to school after the period of the internship finishes. Anyway, getting an internship after your 3rd sem might be a bit tricky because you'll be competing not only with your fellow Spring batchmates, but also people who've come during the Fall. That makes for a huge number, and while ideally there should be no preference of one over the other, Fall folks might be preferred at some places because they're going to be longer in school than you, and hence some companies might prefer taking them on after an summer internship as a co-op, rather than having to hire them immediately in a full-time role.

06-05-2011 12:40 AM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

It is. But then an internship during Fall/Spring can be classified as an intern or a co-op.

Internship - you work in a company for less than 20 hours per week during Fall/Spring, and you are enrolled in at least 9 credits (full-time courseload).

Co-op - you take a sabbatical of one semester to work full-time for up to 40 hours per week at a company. You do not enroll in any credits towards your degree in this semester, but you will have to enroll for some special co-op course that is the equivalent of full-time courseload. This course might be for-credit (1-3 credits) or might not be credited at all. In any case, this course indicates that you're still enrolled and that you satisfy the F-1 visa requirement of full-time workload.

Most schools allow Fall/Spring internships, but not many offer Fall/Spring co-ops with a sabbatical from school. Also, you'll be working during your co-op on your CPT, which can be a maximum of 11 months. So, that means if you intern full-time (40 hrs/wk) during summer and then get a co-op (or for that matter, a Fall/Spring internship), you will be able to do this only one - 3 months for the summer stint and 5 months in the Spring/Fall.

Usually, it's easier to get into a summer internship first and then be continued for a co-op during the Fall. This is because most companies do hire for the summer, but the case isn't so in Spring/Fall for the co-ops. For a co-op, companies mostly prefer to continue with people who've already worked at the same place in their internship. And the problem's worse in Spring, because companies are generally loathe to hire at the end of the accounting year in Nov-Dec. Not to discourage you guys, but that's how it is. Hence, by all means, do try to get a Spring co-op/internship if you can in your 3rd semester, but don't be too hopeful. Therefore, I'd say your best chance to get one is in the summer after the 3rd semester, so you can try to get hired for a co-op after summer in the Fall.

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
06-05-2011 01:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ikkokusenkin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ikkokusenkin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 31
(06-01-2011 10:54 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  However, in order to get an internship at that time, you should be coming back to school for at least another semester - and this is a requirement for any internship in any company, that you've got to go back to school after the period of the internship finishes.
Spring students also meet this criteria, right? They'd also be going back to school for their 4th semester (Fall).

(06-01-2011 10:54 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  ... Fall folks might be preferred at some places because they're going to be longer in school than you, and hence some companies might prefer taking them on after an summer internship as a co-op, rather than having to hire them immediately in a full-time role.
I'm not sure I get this point. If what you're saying is that companies would rather hire (on a full-time basis) someone who has interned with them before over someone they don't know, then both Spring and Fall students would fit the bill, right? What I mean is, I don't see what advantage having 2 semesters more in college gives to Fall students over Spring students who only have 1 semester left (unless it is that companies don't like hiring in Jan. -- is that what you meant?).

(06-05-2011 01:48 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  So, that means if you intern full-time (40 hrs/wk) during summer and then get a co-op (or for that matter, a Fall/Spring internship), you will be able to do this only one - 3 months for the summer stint and 5 months in the Spring/Fall.
Would a Fall/Spring internship count as CPT? I thought an internship is limited to < 20 hrs/week and thus, does not classify as full-time employment. So, the 3 months full-time Summer internship + 5 months Fall co-op would take 8 months away from the CPT but a 3 months full-time Summer internship + 5 months Fall internship would take only 3 months (for the full-time Summer gig) away from the CPT. Is that right?

Edit: Sorry if these are stupid questions, but
1. are co-ops offered in all semesters of the year?
2. Am I right in assuming that not all unis have co-ops?

My InfoBank Profile | My Profile Evaluation Thread | GRE General Q:800 V:720 AWA:5.5 | TOEFL iBT 118
「一刻千金」
L'isolement c'est l'absence de l'autre. La solitude c'est la présence à soi-même. ~ Osho
Here.To.Learn
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2011 03:28 PM by ikkokusenkin.)
06-05-2011 03:14 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

(06-05-2011 03:14 PM)ikkokusenkin Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 10:54 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  However, in order to get an internship at that time, you should be coming back to school for at least another semester - and this is a requirement for any internship in any company, that you've got to go back to school after the period of the internship finishes.
Spring students also meet this criteria, right? They'd also be going back to school for their 4th semester (Fall).

Yes, that's correct.

(06-01-2011 10:54 PM)The_Observer Wrote:  ... Fall folks might be preferred at some places because they're going to be longer in school than you, and hence some companies might prefer taking them on after an summer internship as a co-op, rather than having to hire them immediately in a full-time role.
I'm not sure I get this point. If what you're saying is that companies would rather hire (on a full-time basis) someone who has interned with them before over someone they don't know, then both Spring and Fall students would fit the bill, right?

Partly true. I'd go a bit further & say this: Fall co-ops/interns might be in school over the Spring sem as well, so that means that person might be allowed/able to work on CPT status for almost the entire CPT period. Now, interns are generally paid less money (in most, not all, cases) as compared to their full-time counterparts, and also don't need to be paid other benefits such as insurance coverage, 401K, etc. So getting someone on as an intern for a longer period is definitely preferable for a company (more so a small or a medium-sized one) as compared to hiring someone full-time. And chances are, even if the intern(s) hired are not as experienced or knowledgeable as someone that might've been hired for an equivalent full-time role, the company can probably hire multiple interns at the cost of that one full-time employee. And even then they might end up saving some money. So it is always in the company's interest to try to keep someone in an intern role for as long as possible. And that's not really a bad thing for you either - as long as you get the work-ex and are completing your degree concurrently. But if you're worried about the fact that you're probably not gonna earn as much in an internship, then you shouldn't take any such offer up.

What I mean is, I don't see what advantage having 2 semesters more in college gives to Fall students over Spring students who only have 1 semester left (unless it is that companies don't like hiring in Jan. -- is that what you meant?).

That's true to an extent as well. Since the accounting year here ends in Dec, most companies would prefer to keep their books clean & free of any major expenditures such as recruitment efforts at the end of the 3rd quarter. For someone to be hired starting Jan, the company would need to start the hiring process by Oct at the latest, which goes against the grain here.

Edit: Sorry if these are stupid questions, but
1. are co-ops offered in all semesters of the year?

Yes, they are. What we call as summer internships are nothing but full-time co-ops that usually stretch for 10 weeks. In these, you would mostly be working at the company full-time without taking any classes in summer and hence it will be counted as part of your full-time CPT.

2. Am I right in assuming that not all unis have co-ops?

Correct. And even with those that do, they have different rules. Furthermore, every department or program might have its own set of rules, so it's hard to generalize. For example, some univ might allow its students to go for a sabbatical and take a full-time co-op in Fall/Spring (40 hrs/wk). Some might allow that only if the company is located outside of a certain geographical radius, whereas some others might require you to enroll for part-time CPT co-op (less than 20 hrs/wk) if the location of the company falls within a certain radius from the univ. Also, some univs (Northeastern, Cincinnati & Drexel are the top 3, in no specific order) are very well known for their excellent co-op networks, and local employers have been known to hire their students for co-ops pretty readily and by the droves. For others it may not be the case, but still might have a decent co-op scene, and for some others yet, there might be a bleak co-op scene. But, in general, keep in mind one thing: for internships, co-ops and for full-time jobs after your MS, it's always more helpful if you're in a bigger city as compared to a smaller one, and this is truer if you're not in one of the top 30 schools. There's therefore always a trade-off of sorts to make here, whether to go for a better ranked school or the one in the bigger city. I'd say, you will have to achieve a balance of both: go to one of the best ranked schools in your list that is in one of the biggest cities that you have as options. Bigger the city, more the companies in the city, meaning more chances of getting co-ops, and better transportation. The last factor means even if you're forced to commute to work part-time and study full-time simultaneously during the co-op, you'll have an efficient means of transportation. Not having that might be a bit problematic if you're in a smaller city with not-so-good transport facilities. That is especially important, because from what I know, some urban schools that offer co-ops in the Fall/Spring do not allow students to take a sabbatical, and hence they have to work part-time.

06-05-2011 03:56 PM
iwish Offline
Edulix Super Senior

iwish Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 44
good info adminApplause
cleared some doubtsSmile

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 12:06 PM by iwish.)
06-06-2011 12:06 PM
ikkokusenkin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ikkokusenkin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 31
(06-06-2011 12:06 PM)iwish Wrote:  good info adminApplause
cleared some doubtsSmile

^^ +1. Thanks a lot Mr. Primera Gente. Very Happy

My InfoBank Profile | My Profile Evaluation Thread | GRE General Q:800 V:720 AWA:5.5 | TOEFL iBT 118
「一刻千金」
L'isolement c'est l'absence de l'autre. La solitude c'est la présence à soi-même. ~ Osho
Here.To.Learn
06-06-2011 12:24 PM
ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ps25 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks for clearing the doubts ! Smile

06-06-2011 10:16 PM
svj Offline
Edulix Active Member

svj Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
Great post...gives a detailed insight into the whole internship and job scenario for spring applicants esp. Thanx!Applause

06-06-2011 10:51 PM
pri.blore Offline
Edulix Active Member

pri.blore Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
@admin

Very useful info. But if spring students can't intern in their 1st summer, what do they do then?
Also, if I plan to study for 2yrs then interning in 2nd summer, shudn't be a problem right?

06-07-2011 03:24 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

(06-07-2011 03:24 PM)pri.blore Wrote:  @admin

My name isn't 'admin'.

Very useful info. But if spring students can't intern in their 1st summer, what do they do then?

They either stay back and take classes, if offered, or go back to India. Some students choose not to do either of those 2 things and stay back here, either to search for an on-campus job or to work at one.

Also, if I plan to study for 2yrs then interning in 2nd summer, shudn't be a problem right?

No, it shouldn't be.

06-07-2011 03:38 PM
rthtor Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rthtor Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Very good info!

I have a doubt regarding this -

(06-05-2011 01:48 AM)The_Observer Wrote:  So, that means if you intern full-time (40 hrs/wk) during summer and then get a co-op (or for that matter, a Fall/Spring internship), you will be able to do this only one - 3 months for the summer stint and 5 months in the Spring/Fall.
Would a Fall/Spring internship count as CPT? I thought an internship is limited to < 20 hrs/week and thus, does not classify as full-time employment. So, the 3 months full-time Summer internship + 5 months Fall co-op would take 8 months away from the CPT but a 3 months full-time Summer internship + 5 months Fall internship would take only 3 months (for the full-time Summer gig) away from the CPT. Is that right?

Any field of study related work at a company that is <=20 hours per week is not counted as CPT. Correct? Then the above statement by ikkokusenkin is true.

So, I understand that the major disadvantage for Spring joiners is this -
Spring -
1st summer - take up on-campus jobs and work <=20 hours per week.
2nd summer - take up part-time/full-time field of study related internship at a company.

Fall -
1st summer - take up part-time/full-time field of study related internship at a company.
2nd summer - already graduated, so take up a full-time job!

So, it's Spring joiners 1st summer v/s Fall joiners 2nd summer!
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 12:19 PM by rthtor.)
08-24-2012 12:08 PM
The_Observer Away

The_Observer Away

Sorry for the extremely late reply, rthtor, but better late than never.

(08-24-2012 12:08 PM)rthtor Wrote:  Very good info!

I have a doubt regarding this -

Any field of study related work at a company that is <=20 hours per week is not counted as CPT. Correct? Then the above statement by ikkokusenkin is true.

Nope. Any work that is done during the semester when you are studying towards completing your graduation requirements, is CPT - irrespective of whether you are simultaneously enrolled in classes or not.

To further simplify it, I'll put it this:

Working part-time (<=20hrs/wk) or full-time (20-40hrs/wk) before graduation --> CPT

Working part-time or full-time before graduation, but only when all your course requirements have been completed and if you're only pursuing research in the form of an independent/individual study or thesis --> can be pre-completion OPT or CPT

Working full-time (beetween 20 and 40 hrs/wk overall) after graduation --> post-completion OPT

So, I understand that the major disadvantage for Spring joiners is this -
Spring -
1st summer - take up on-campus jobs (correct) and work <=20 hours per week (incorrect - in summer, you can work upto 40 hrs/wk, even on-campus)
2nd summer - take up part-time/full-time field of study related internship at a company (correct)

Fall -
1st summer - take up part-time/full-time field of study related internship at a company (correct)
2nd summer - already graduated, so take up a full-time job! (or, if yet to graduate i.e. graduating in 2.5 years, take up another internship or an on-campus job for upto 40 hrs/wk)

So, it's Spring joiners 1st summer v/s Fall joiners 2nd summer!

Nope, if you're talking about off-campus jobs at a company, a field related to your study. Spring joinees cannot work off-campus until Oct, because everyone has to wait 9 months before they can be authorized to work off-campus, irrespective of the sem they started their program in.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2016 11:40 PM by The_Observer.)
11-29-2012 05:08 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread