Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Votes - 4.74 Average
Elements of a good SOP (with SOP related queries)
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

Likes Given: 5
Unisearch: Link
Elements of a good SOP (with SOP related queries)
I hope this post dispels a lot of issues that people face, both in mind and rote when penning their SOPs. Here is what I look for in many cases when I review people's SOPs. These are some minor points, which make a major difference, and some major points, which also make a major difference. I have tried to outline as many of them as possible, both from what I have seen in SOPs till now and what I got on my own SOP reviews from other people better than me.

1. A Theme.

This is one of the foremost elements of your SOP. It is its soul and substance. It is supposed to take the reader through your intent and purpose to pursue your Masters / Ph.D or whichever advanced degree you are applying for. It gives them an insight into what laid the foundation for this major decision in life, what was the motivation to make this happen.

At the same time, this is one of the most difficult elements to fit in, mainly because the theme, along with the clarity of thought is what causes the reader to get a hang of your thoughts about the matter. Get the reader to think like you for moment, put himself in your place. This is going to fall into place after a lot of revisions from many people. So do not worry if you do not get it right at the first go.

2. Flow of Thought.

This is what I personally consider to be the element that makes the reader’s job easier to judge the standard of your SOP. I have seen many a SOP that has a lot of clutter. People have so many ideas to put in, so many things that they want to convey, that in the end, they make a hash of things. You tend to jump from your motivation during your childhood and suddenly link it to what happened sometime during your working days. Then you tend to jump back to college foundations and then move on to how you became more focused etc.

This kind of SOP clutter is what kills it. The SOP has to have a free flowing style, moving smoothly from one phase of your life (I use this term loosely, but will clarify it later on) to another. The phase transition should coincide with the transition and maturity of thought through your phases. One you get this right, you are done with around 25%. I normally look for a smooth transition when reading. I start raising red flags against the SOP when I start to sense a lot of jumping about. The other major 50% comes from the theme and the clarity of thought, one handled in the previous point and the other in the next point.

3. Clarity of Thought

This element dictates how well you can express your thoughts to the person reading your SOP. This interacts, combines and encapsulates a lot of other elements, for e.g., the theme, the flow and the precise nature of your writing. Here is how it works. I would define clarity of thought if you can achieve a level of expression with optimal sentence formation (not forming long, drawn out sentences) while maintaining a good, clear flow of thought that sticks to the theme of the SOP.

At first look, it seems to be a daunting task. But as you slowly go through SOP revisions, you will start to realize how the clarity develops and how it binds WITH the other elements and how it binds the other elements TOGETHER.

4. Precis(e) Writing

Precis(e) writing is exactly what the name says it is. Keep it sweet and simple. Do not ramble on and on. Your SOP reviewer on the admissions committee is definitely not interested in knowing what you did during school. This is what I meant when I said I am using the term phases of life loosely. Just because you have to develop a flow does not mean that you have to start when you were 5 years old. And the reader definitely does not need to know a lot of technical details about your projects. You have a limited amount of space, so make it count. Also, avoid blowing your own trumpet. It is perfectly ok to state facts like you were the college topper, but avoid making it sound like there is no one like you, if you get my point. One other thing, tone down the use of superlatives as much as you can.

5. Grammatical Correctness

Another important part of your SOP is your grammatical correctness. I know many people tend to think that they are being grammatically correct and many mistakes go unnoticed. This happens when you keep reading and re-reading your own SOP. You tend to overlook a lot of small mistakes that can be easily caught by another person who does not share the same mindset.

Try to maintain as much grammatical correctness as possible. When you think you have done the best you can, check #7. Get someone else, who you think is better at english than you to re-read your SOP. Unless you are a Professor of English yourself. Smile

6. Sentence Formation

I hope to make this topic clear with a case in point. Do not, I repeat, do not ramble on and on. Form short sentences. The attention span of the human mind is too short. If you ramble on, the mind forgets what is the beginning before it reaches the end. And that does not bode well for you. When you go through so many SOPs, your mind is trained to notice the good parts and the bad parts. So if you start rambling, people find out very easily. Take for example this point. What did I say in the beginning of the point? If you can remember without looking, I am not rambling. But if you cannot remember with what I started, I have definitely rambled a lot. And I need to get some structure into this point. I rest my case. Also, if you think you are forming too long a sentence, only one solution. FRAGMENT.

7. Peer Review.

Finally, one of the most important parts, I daresay, the most important part. Select 3-4 people (or even less) who you think are better than you in different areas, someone in your technical area of specialization, another person who has a better command over English than you have and a totally unrelated person who has nothing to do with your field. Get your SOP reviewed by these people till a majority of them are satisfied with how it is.

The first one serves to oversee your SOP’s minor technical details and they can understand what you are talking about. They will serve as a proxy for the admissions committee members who review your SOP since they can relate to what you are talking about.

The second one serves are your reviewer for grammatical correctness.

And finally, the third one serves as an unrelated person who might catch some overlooked errors that the other two and you might have missed.

Hope this helps anyone who is formulating an SOP and finds it really difficult to start. Don’t worry. You can start by writing down everything that you want to write. You can always make the long story short. But making a short story long takes a lot more effort. So put onto paper whatever you have and then start revising it.
Eventually, after 7-8 revisions, you will have close to a perfect SOP.

==============================================================================

Points to ponder about an SOP by onusopus

1. Know the difference between a Statement of Purpose and Statement of Fact/Achievements. Never put in lines like I did this and that which will bore any reader. You are never asked to write what all you achieved in your life. You are asked to write down what you intend to do with the next step of your education and how it is going to help your career. Achievements that preferably align with the purpose are ok, but otherwise throw then out.

2. Don’t get too technical in a SOP. What are resumes for?

3. Your SOP is not a platform to showcase your writing skills. The trick is to strike a balance between being prosaic and being crisp. It would be so tempting to use all the words you read in Barrons and Kaplan and other such sources. Refrain from doing that. At the same time, never make your SOP so simple that it becomes drab to read. "I did <something>" is probably one of the most common and probably the WORST statement ever than can go on your SOP. Haveing the right words in the right places is something that your SOP should focus on (after your purpose or intent that is).

4. Never write a very generic SOP. Gather information on the university and department that you are applying to. They should get the feel that you have really bent your back and put a lot of thought process on your choices. Do not write your SOP with a fill in the blank mentality. Does not work that way. More importantly focus on how well you would fit into that university and what best you can do with the resources available for the betterment of your career, the department and the university, preferably in that order.

5. The introduction and conclusion paragraphs are probably the most important part of your SOP. The introduction sets the tone for the rest of the SOP and the conclusion should make an indelible impression. Utilize these two paragraphs as much as you can.

6. Never read any online SOPs or your friends’. The human mind is a good follower. It subconsciously starts imitating what you saw in the previous SOPs and before you can realise it, it is no longer your SOP any more. For the first couple of drafts, write down everything you feel like. Let it be on paper. You can then chop and change. Once you form a base, you can modify yours accordingly.

7. Be strong in what you say. This is probably one thing that I will stress on. Your SOP should radiate (this is a big word that I don't necessarily expect everyone to follow) the intent and the focus. Be proud of what you have done. Even if it is a small calculator app. You still gained something from it. But at the same time, making it look like you are the only one who can build that small calculator app is going to be your downfall.

8. A good SOP IMO would typically answer these questions in one way or the other. Why do you want to pursue your Masters, in this particular department and in this very university.

9. Coming to talking about work experience, do not talk about it as though you joined a company without any motive or intention. You have worked your way through a four year engineering course and you better know what you like and want to work on. If you do not, there is something wrong somewhere. Do not write your SOP as if you got placed in some random company through campus placements and you settled down there. There should be a motive behind it. Consider this as an example of a mechanical student writing his/her SOP (no prejudice, just an example) - “I completed my under graduation from XYZ university and was consistently in the top 10% of the class. I wanted to get into the corporate world and I was recruited by ABC company, one of the best IT firms in India through my campus.” Cliched from beginning to end. A better line would be – “I would like to specialize in during my Masters for which I needed a strong foundation in Computer Aided Design, which I gained during my time at XYZ, which specializes in <something short> (Do not elucidate four lines about what the company does).” Now, it has a purpose.

10. Avoid cooking up imaginary stories of your own or trying to make small things look big on your SOP.

11. What you learnt from the leadership positions and the problems you faced do some justice to the intent building factor IF they are relevant. But please do not overdo it or even do it if it is not related.

12. About publications, and I mean research publications and not paper presentations, focus on WHAT the paper accomplished RATHER THAN the name, author names and titles. Content matters, not prosaic titles which are two lines long.

13. DO NOT TYPEFACE font in a SOP until absolutely necessary. Like an achievement of a best paper award, or an excellence award for example. Otherwise typefacing your font makes your SOP look UGLY period.

14. Extra curricular activities do not belong on your SOP. So stop wasting space on them. No one really cares if you captained your school cricket team of you were a state player. Everyone from India (especially) can walk on water and is a state player or can play an instrument or can read books or is a well known writer. Cut the crap.

=============================================

The SOP clichés to avoid - Some SOP Humor from AmuG

1. The Prodigy.

To quote a friend “Please don’t tell me about how you were born out of your mother’s womb with a PC in hand.” Unless of course, that actually did happen. In which case you should be telling us more about it. But for most of us, it wasn’t the case. So do not start your SOP by telling me how as a five year old, the fact the computer works on binary system fascinated you or how you were thinking about the inner workings of a game when playing Road Rash and decided then and there to take up Computer Science.

2. The Achiever.

Please do not fill up the limited space you have in your SOP yapping about how you did this and that and this and more of that and then again this. Unless you can relate the things you did in the past to what you want to do in a Master’s program, don’t waste space on it. Remember you have a resume to put all your wonderful achievements.

3. The GOD.

Yes, your SOP is a place to show the adcom that you are capable of doing this course but do not wax lyrical about how amazing you are. Do not make statements saying how dedicated you are, how hardworking you are, in short how GOD-like you are, but back it up with an anecdote. Show them that you are hardworking and dedicated.

4. The Narrator.

Please fight the urge to use your SOP as an abridged auto biography. No the adcom is NOT interested to know that "Once upon a time in a land far far away, you peed your pants and how overcoming that was a pivotal moment in your life". Tell them about the things, by which I mean the important things that steered you in this direction.

5. The ET (ExTra circular) Kid.

You might have been the kid that did it all. Cricket, Chess and everything in between - AKA the Complan kid. And yes you should mention it; it gives you the extra edge. But please don’t dedicate paragraphs explaining the complexities of cricket.

6. The “Connect the Dots” game.

Yes, you want the adcom to be engaged while reading your SOP, you want your SOP to grab their attention but please don’t play the “Connect the dots” game with them. Have a flow to your SOP. In your fifth para, please do not go back to something you mentioned in the first para without relevance.

7. The “English High Tide”

Yes, you just did brilliantly well in GRE and you learned a LOT of English words. That does not mean you want to fill in your SOP with every word you’ve ever learned! You don’t have be the “I talk English, I walk English, I eat English” kind.

8. The “Extra, Extra, Read All About It”

Even the most controversial newspaper articles stick to a word limit, and so should your SOP. You might have a lot to say, but do remember the adcom goes through a lot of SOP’s so choose what to have it and chose it wisely!

============================================================

IF YOUR QUESTIONS ARE NOT BEING ANSWERED "SPECIFICALLY" OR WHOEVER YOU HAVE TAGGED IS NOT RESPONDING TO A CERTAIN POINT, IT MEANS THAT THE ANSWERS ARE ALREADY PRESENT IN THE THREAD AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM. WE DO NOT WANT TO POPULATE THE THREAD WITH MEANINGLESS POSTS WHICH SAY "YOUR QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED IN THE THREAD. PLEASE SEARCH.". SO PLEASE SAVE US THE TROUBLE AND DO THE SEARCHING BEFOREHAND.

Bonus Tip: For the schools that ask you to submit answers to questions in lieu of an SOP, don't be afraid to talk about things you've talked about in other places or other answers if that helps you save space. For example, if you're asked about your motivation for applying to that program in one question, and then asked what you plan to do if admitted in a follow-up question, recognize that those are two parts of the same coin. Answer them accordingly, and link the answers together, such as: "In an earlier question, I answered why I want to get into Podunk State's MS in Extraterrestrial Affairs. Specifically what I aim to do after graduating from that program is to work in the field of Extraterrestrial Industrial Relations. As my experience in Extraterrestrial languages makes for a good foundation in the field, courses such as Extraterrestrial Technology and Cross-galactic Cultures would help me broaden my understanding about what it means to actually understand extraterrestrial cultures, and not just communicate with them." Then, if a follow-up question to that asks you about your long-term career goals, link it back to that one with something like: "The knowledge of extraterrestrial cultures gained in the MS in Extraterrestrial Affairs program through courses like Cross-galactic Cultures would allow me to become a diplomat in the Department of Extraterrestrial Relations, which is my long-term goal."

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 06:08 AM by The_Observer.)
06-11-2011 10:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

The_Observer Away
Airport Layover Consultant

Likes Given: 118
RE: Elements of a Good SOP
Wonderful work! Thread stuck! Smile

1) Please mention as many details as possible about your academics, research and work-ex, in terms of projects worked on, technologies used, roles/responsibilities handled, papers published/presented, awards/honors obtained, etc. All those have to be put in the misc details section of your UniSearch profile if you expect any help on Edulix. Also, before requesting for profile evaluations, please go through this excellent post.

2) Please take some time out to read these three threads in their entirety. PLEASE do that before asking questions about universities from a comparison perspective, or jobs, or coursework, or H-1B visas, or "placements", irrespective of which univ/department/program/major you're applying to.

I love to read, and then I regurgitate. I write - a lot - as my posts here and on other outlets would show. I do not make apologies for what I write (and how long it is). I do not sugarcoat things either. I don't tolerate vague questions, for any reasons - ignorance arising out of an inability to locate information when the necessary tools to do so (i.e. the internet, libraries, university websites, other forums/bulletin boards, etc.) are readily available, is not any kind of an acceptable excuse.

"Don't be daft." - Ancalagon The Black

"With the exchange rate where it is now, it should be a strong deterrent against picking a slightly better program for a lot more tuition fees." - coolguru
06-11-2011 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Liverpool Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

Liverpool Away
Super Moderator Emeritus

Likes Given: 0
ApplauseApplauseApplause

*** Respect the forum rules ***
No duplicate posts - No textese - No advertisements - No useless "thank you" posts - No meaningless thread titles- No thread hijacking.

ECE SpecializationThread | PROFILE | RetakeGRE? | Deadlines and Intake | Pre Departure Expenses | My VI | Profile Evaluators | Admits/Rejects 2011
06-11-2011 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
on a related note:

Quote:The correct spelling is, of course, as important as it has ever been, but correct meaning is even more so. Spelling and grammar checks provided by your text editor program often offer good advice. But it is like any other advice – take it at your own peril and make your own final decision.

None of us wants a flawless essay to be disfigured by a few spelling errors. So paying attention to the red squiggly lines is mandatory. But then, pay deeper attention to the rest of the essay, where the spell checker has failed to catch the difference between your “but” and ”butt”.

Here are a few tips to proofread effectively –

Always have a time gap between writing the essay and proofing it. When we are too involved in our essay, we often tend to overlook the mistakes. We become immune to the errors that might be very obvious to a third person, or even us, when we read it later.

Reading your essay backwards also helps. This way you get to focus on words and will be able to spot spelling errors in an easier manner.

Grammar-check provided by the spell checker might not understand the complexities of the language and show you an error. You should always rely on your judgement on this one. Or if you are not sure, consult a person who can advise you on English grammar structure.

If possible, take a printout of your essay and read it loudly. When you hear your own words, the meaning comes out more naturally. You would also get to know if you have repeated your thoughts or have forgotten to add some essential detail.

And, last but definitely not the least, it always pays to get your essay reviewed by someone else too. Find a person who knows you and has a good grasp of the language. The second pair of eyes always sees things differently than ours – and if they see the same meaning as you intended, your job is done!

Source: BeAnMBA

Studying in Germany : FAQs | International Programmes in Germany | Finding a PhD position (Europe) | Apping Guide | Profile Evaluation Guide | Travel in Germany

OvGU Magdeburg - CEE

I will not answer any private messages. Tag me in a post, instead. My specialization is Chemical Engineering and not Renewable Energy!
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 11:42 AM by anuragm.)
06-11-2011 11:40 AM
pacific Offline
Edulix Super Senior

pacific Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 27
Hei

Nice read. In my SOP i mentioned about my childhood, then development of interest in Maths and Physics and then connected it with electrical(Comm and Electromagnetic engg which i liked in B.Tech) to be specific in say 5-6 lines.

I had then framed how my interest this subject motivated me to take my internship where i learned similar things and encountered situations were there needs work to be done and it brought my interest in research and followed by my project work related to spec.

Then in the conclusion passage, i tried to put the things together. Master's is the platform to further propound the issues which are considered abstract, better insight. In Q why i choose that college i had mentioned that my research interest matches with the faculty areas of research, the research groups, scholars, publications in areas of interest and recent developments(in 4-5 lines). All this data i collected by going through department faculty, publications and groups.

Complete sop in less than 700 words with 3 months of work on it. So do you think such organised sop is OK?

I had already consulted that SOP with one of my prof, my sister, my senior at Gatech and my friend who's going to Cornell. I was fine with it till but reject from NCSU for spring 12 made me a little concerned as it was safest college of my list and just in case i need to apply at some other place for Fall 12 i stand a better chance.

Please guide.

Thank you

[size=x-large]Retired! Too old, too outdated and too tired.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 03:55 PM by pacific.)
06-11-2011 03:49 PM
tater Offline
Edulix Active Member

tater Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Great thread! Just as I'm thinking of starting on my SOP, I stumbled upon your thread. The clarity of thought in your writing really amazes me, and I guess your signature "Post only when necessary" justifies all your posts. Anyways, I'll PM you once I'm done with my SOP( if I may do that?). Also, it would be great if you can start a thread for all SOP related queries.

My profile for Fall 2012:
My Profile
06-11-2011 05:23 PM
Speed Away
Dawdler

Speed Away
Dawdler

Likes Given: 4
Good work sirji Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

No more SOP Review and Profile Evaluation.I am not active here now
06-11-2011 05:28 PM
ksk91 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ksk91 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 107
Brilliant PostApplause.

You live upto your signature,once againSmile.

University of Southern California. MS CS. Class of '14.

Fight on!

I wont be evaluating profiles for sometime as I'm busy grad schooling. However, tag me in the USC specific thread for any queries/doubts related to USC CS.
06-11-2011 09:17 PM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

SOP Related Queries.
To all those who have questions related to your statement of purpose, I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. But before that, here are a few guidelines for this thread.

1. First and foremost, I AM NOT going to evaluate your SOP on this thread. So please don't post your whole SOP here and ask
me to evaluate it.

2. If you want your SOP evaluated, yes, you can PM me and ATTACH your SOP to the mail. Please don't send the whole SOP as
the body of the PM. Your evaluation depends on when I can spare time, because I tend to be intermittently busy.

3. Before you send me a PM asking me to evaluate your SOP, try and make sure to read points 1-6 of my post on Elements of
a Good SOP on the same forum. Try to make sure you adhere to these points as much as possible. I am not making you
read this because I want to make it popular, but because I am going to evaluate your SOP on the same criteria. I would not
want to waste your time and mine going through the same drivel.

4. And this is a disclaimer. I am not an expert at SOP reviews. I am just passing on what I have learnt. If you know someone
else who you think can do it better, please do ask them. Just because I wrote a thread on how to formulate SOPs, I don't
automatically become a subject matter expert.

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 10:41 AM by The_Minuteman.)
06-12-2011 10:40 AM
LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 109
RE: SOP Related Queries.
Thanks for the initiative, The_Minuteman.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I know there is no one size fits all answer to this, but generally, how much importance is given to the SOP by adcomms? The general answer I've seen to this is that it is "the only way to being yourself out as a person" in front of the adcomms, but I'd appreciate a more, let's say, quantitative answer.

2. What sort of tone should the SOP have? I understand that most SOPs are quite formal and straight laced. Is it recommended to stray away from this path and write something more innovative? I'm especially curious because of this.

Thanks.

SOP eval guidelines have changed. Please read this. Do NOT send me PMs requesting personal SOP reviews, they will be ignored.

Destination CMU

My VI
06-12-2011 12:02 PM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

lm10

How much importance? That is one document that will carry most of your hopes of a Masters admit. It would probably be one of THE most important documents you have ever written. Main reasons being apart from your academics, it is the document which directs the admissions committee to your motivation, direction that you are taking right now and the direction that you want to take.

And yes, they can smell a fake SOP a mile away. Not that they are trained to do that, but well, it comes unilaterally from going through so many applications every semester.

I would quantify it as being the next most important thing after your paper publications (if you have any) and your academics.

With regards to your SOP having a tone, I would say keep it straight, precise, crisp and simple. You have all of probably one page to sell yourself. No point wasting space. And no point beating around the bush. Straight, powerful and compelling. I know it is difficult to make it like this in a short period of time, but some extra work will definitely help.

It is all about how you present yourself. You need not be overly formal, going overboard with your flowery language etc. That is not going to sell you at all.

And related to that link, tell stories is a good idea to break the monotony. But what you may have missed was the fact that his vivid idea against the normal drivel was also almost the same length. If you think you can do that, go ahead. Just don't waste space being too creative. You will then be looking at 2+ pages to cut down on and everything looks important.

And one more thing, try to make sure that your creative writing is believable. Sometimes when you try to be creative, you get so carried away that is crosses the thin line into blowing your own trumpet.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2011 08:01 PM by The_Minuteman.)
06-12-2011 12:35 PM
sayali1110 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sayali1110 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 3
(06-11-2011 11:40 AM)anuragm Wrote:  on a related note:

Quote:The correct spelling is, of course, as important as it has ever been, but correct meaning is even more so. Spelling and grammar checks provided by your text editor program often offer good advice. But it is like any other advice – take it at your own peril and make your own final decision.

None of us wants a flawless essay to be disfigured by a few spelling errors. So paying attention to the red squiggly lines is mandatory. But then, pay deeper attention to the rest of the essay, where the spell checker has failed to catch the difference between your “but” and ”butt”.

Here are a few tips to proofread effectively –

Always have a time gap between writing the essay and proofing it. When we are too involved in our essay, we often tend to overlook the mistakes. We become immune to the errors that might be very obvious to a third person, or even us, when we read it later.

Reading your essay backwards also helps. This way you get to focus on words and will be able to spot spelling errors in an easier manner.

Grammar-check provided by the spell checker might not understand the complexities of the language and show you an error. You should always rely on your judgement on this one. Or if you are not sure, consult a person who can advise you on English grammar structure.

If possible, take a printout of your essay and read it loudly. When you hear your own words, the meaning comes out more naturally. You would also get to know if you have repeated your thoughts or have forgotten to add some essential detail.

And, last but definitely not the least, it always pays to get your essay reviewed by someone else too. Find a person who knows you and has a good grasp of the language. The second pair of eyes always sees things differently than ours – and if they see the same meaning as you intended, your job is done!

Source: BeAnMBA

Great post !

06-12-2011 01:21 PM
LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-12-2011 12:35 PM)The_Minuteman Wrote:  @[lm10]

How much importance? That is one document that will carry most of your hopes of a Masters admit. It would probably be one of THE most important documents you have ever written. Main reasons being apart from your academics, it is the document which directs the admissions committee to your motivation, direction that you are taking right now and the direction that you want to take.

And yes, they can smell a fake SOP a mile away. Not that they are trained to do that, but well, it comes unilaterally from going through so many applications every semester.

I would quantify it as being the next most important thing after your paper publications (if you have any) and your academics.

Thanks. So Acads are the single most important factor in my application, followed by what I can churn up in the next few months?

With regards to your SOP having a tone, I would say keep it straight, precise, crisp and simple. You have all of probably one page to sell yourself. No point wasting space. And no point beating around the bush. Straight, powerful and compelling. I know it is difficult to make it like this in a short period of time, but some extra work will definitely help.

It is all about how you present yourself. You need not be overly formal, going overboard with your flowery language etc. That is not going to sell you at all.

That's good to hear. I wouldn't want to bore the pants off the adcomms.

And related to that link, tell stories is a good idea to break the monotony. But what you may have missed was the fact that his vivid idea against the normal drivel was also almost the same length. If you think you can do that, go ahead. Just don't waste space being too creative. You will then be looking at 2+ pages to cut down on and everything looks important.

Oh yea, naturally. I don't know if I'll be telling them stories or anything, but I would definitely like to insert some dry sentences that deviate from the generally formal tone of such documents.

And one more thing, try to make sure that your creative writing is believable. Sometimes when you try to be creative, you get so carried away that is crosses the thin line into blowing your own trumpet.

Oh yes. I don't really plan to glorify myself at all. By creativity I just mean something fresh and different that the adcomm would hopefully not have seen before.

Is it a good idea to say that I am not particularly interested in doing research and will in all probability be looking at a terminal MS? Does it make sense to put in some post MS plans and how the course would help? I'm mainly shortlisting professional programs keeping this in mind.

SOP eval guidelines have changed. Please read this. Do NOT send me PMs requesting personal SOP reviews, they will be ignored.

Destination CMU

My VI
06-13-2011 08:08 PM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

lm10

Academics are your defining factor to the best of my knowledge. Nothing like publications, but research internships count too.

And if you are applying for professional programs which are project based and industry tailored, it does not make sense to talk a lot about research interests since you would not be applying there in that case. So I would say your SOP should reflect your current interests.

Your Masters is not all about research. It is about getting an advanced degree is some area of specialization. If you plan to go on for a Ph.D, the research in Masters matters. Otherwise a terminal Masters is good enough.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2011 09:47 PM by The_Minuteman.)
06-13-2011 09:46 PM
LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

LM10 Offline
Super Moderator

Thanks a lot, The_Minuteman Smile

Destination CMU

My VI
06-13-2011 09:49 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread