EdulixExpress
EdulixExpress
Chat
Chat
Blog
Grad Studies
About Us
About Edulix
Please post all Profile Evaluations for Fall 17 in Profile Evaluation Forum. Please read profile evaluation guide before creating evaluation threads.
Use Edoogle [Google Custom Search for Edulix] for comprehensive search. Here is an in-depth overview of the application process.
Skype Guidance Session 5th Feb

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.43 Average
Is Canada better choice than US? A perspective
Assassin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Assassin Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Is Canada better choice than US? A perspective
Hi folks,

Most of the students have a look at the US univs and apply a whole bunch of those after doing the ambi-mod-safe circus. Most of them forget that there is a forum on Edulix for "Canadian Admissions" as well!

Here are my (a Computer Science guy) views on how Canadian Universities (the good ones G13), can be as good as, if not better than, the US ones.

Positives -

1. Quality of education - The Canadian universities have a decent reputation worldwide. The education system is similar to US. The top-5 universities are comparable to the top-10 in US.

2. Standard of living - The Americans consider Canada as "third world", it IS third world compared to US, but the standard of living is still high. Some of the Canadian cities have been the best livable cities in the world for years. Plus, there are a lot of Indians there too, if you care for that.

3. Expenditure - There is a huge chance of funding (even for masters programs) from the first semester of your program. So, they're good if you're on a budget. Your education becomes as good as FREE! The cost of living in Canada is 10% more than US, but all of it is taken care if you are funded. Even if you are not funded, you will not end up paying a huge sum of tuition to the university. Most of the universities here are cheap.

4. Research - Most of these universities are research oriented, though some have started pure-coursework oriented programs recently. There is a huge number of publications from Canadian universities every year. The profs and labs in some of the universities are the held in highest regards in the academia.

5. Visa - getting a Canadian visa is a piece of cake! Smile I will not talk on getting a PR/citizenship, coz that could be a case of a "potential immigrant" Razz

Negatives -

1. Weather - Most of the students fear Canada coz of its cold weather. Yes, it is cold. If you think you can survive, you're good to go!

2. Getting an Admit - Getting an admit into a Canadian univ is tougher than US ones. The whole funda of ambi-mod-safe doesn't work here. These univs are very selective about their students, and unlike the US univs, the Profs select the student on case by case basis. In most of the cases, the profs talk to the applicants (skype/phone), takes an interview (more of an "ideas sharing session") and then gives out an admit. Also, the application costs are more. Not to mention that the Canadian dollar currently costs more than a USD.

3. Jobs - Jobs in Canada are lesser than US. Lesser in number and on average pay lesser by around 10k a year. Lesser jobs, even less candidates (till now), you do the math. People have also been getting jobs in the US after their graduation in Canada, though that scene is tough to see these days, given US's changed policies.

This is my view on the subject. Other may have their own opinion/experience.
I hope other seniors also comment on the thread and add to this.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2011 04:48 AM by Assassin.)
06-14-2011 04:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Abhi1888 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

Abhi1888 Offline

Likes Given: 15
RE: Is Canada better choice than US? A perspective
On Assassin's request here are my 10 cents Wink
(06-14-2011 04:47 AM)Assassin Wrote:  Hi folks,

Most of the students have a look at the US univs and apply a whole bunch of those after doing the ambi-mod-safe circus. Most of them forget that there is a forum on Edulix for "Canadian Admissions" as well!

Here are my (a Computer Science guy) views on how Canadian Universities (the good ones G13), can be as good as, if not better than, the US ones.

Positives -

1. Quality of education - The Canadian universities have a decent reputation worldwide. The education system is similar to US. The top-5 universities are comparable to the top-10 in US.

I will say it's kinda better than US (and it is my opinion so please no controversies or arguments on that) for following reasons:
- Better interaction between Prof and student
- Student/Prof ratio less in comparison to US

2. Standard of living - The Americans consider Canada as "third world", it IS third world compared to US
It ISN'T third world, you can find everything that you have in States
, but the standard of living is still high. Some of the Canadian cities have been the best livable cities in the world for years. Plus, there are a lot of Indians there too, if you care for that. Sometimes you hate having a lot of Indians around Laughing Wink

3. Expenditure - There is a huge chance of funding (even for masters programs) from the first semester of your program. So, they're good if you're on a budget. Your education becomes as good as FREE! The cost of living in Canada is 10% more than US, but all of it is taken care if you are funded. Even if you are not funded, you will not end up paying a huge sum of tuition to the university. Most of the universities here are cheap.

Absolutely true, if you live in a bit thrifty manner, you can actually save enough money to fly back home twice a year or call your parents here for a month or two. And that too without doing any extra part time work.

4. Research - Most of these universities are research oriented, though some have started pure-coursework oriented programs recently. There is a huge number of publications from Canadian universities every year. The profs and labs in some of the universities are the held in highest regards in the academia.
+++++++1000000000000000000000000000000

5. Visa - getting a Canadian visa is a piece of cake! Smile I will not talk on getting a PR/citizenship, coz that could be a case of a "potential immigrant" Razz

I won't say that, they have their checks. But usually if you have a funded admit and no medical problems it goes very smoothly

Negatives -

1. Weather - Most of the students fear Canada coz of its cold weather. Yes, it is cold. If you think you can survive, you're good to go!
Bad weather Laughing , believe me after 15 days you will say "WHO CARES ABOUT WEATHER". You can't imagine how beautiful this place is, until you see it with your eyes. And it is not that bad as we assume.

2. Getting an Admit - Getting an admit into a Canadian univ is tougher than US ones. The whole funda of ambi-mod-safe doesn't work here. These univs are very selective about their students, and unlike the US univs, the Profs select the student on case by case basis. In most of the cases, the profs talk to the applicants (skype/phone), takes an interview (more of an "ideas sharing session") and then gives out an admit. Also, the application costs are more. Not to mention that the Canadian dollar currently costs more than a USD.

I'm in complete agreement with this point, getting an admit is really tough. I have seen people from top colleges in India rejected. Truly speaking what I felt that Profs here don't care about tag name, they just evaluate your research potential. it is logical since they pay you (TAs or RAs etc.) they want suitable candidates who can meet the expectations.

3. Jobs - Jobs in Canada are lesser than US. Lesser in number and on average pay lesser by around 10k a year. Lesser jobs, even less candidates (till now), you do the math. People have also been getting jobs in the US after their graduation in Canada, though that scene is tough to see these days, given US's changed policies.

I don't have a great idea about it, but most alums from my univ are at good places so I assume that jobs are not that scarce.
And above all it depends on individual's talent. Smile

This is my view on the subject. Other may have their own opinion/experience.
I hope other seniors also comment on the thread and add to this.

In addition to above comments I want to add one more point
University Ranking - Canadian Univ don't have any ranking system, here we see a univ is good or average depending upon the research area you are looking into. So for example if an university is ranked in top 2 in SE it may not be that great in DB.

P.S. - Assassin - Now you owe me 12 cents Razz Laughing

I'm no longer active, try contacting other active members in the Canadian Forum.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2011 07:51 AM by Abhi1888.)
06-14-2011 05:35 AM
zuneid alam Offline
Edulix Frequent User

zuneid alam Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I agree wid you all on this. Canadian universities may not be a better than some top american universities, but definitely a very good alternative for someone who wants to learn through research. There is a different kind of enjoyment from learning in peace. and I am going there just for that.
Received an admit for M.Engg in mechanical engg from Carleton University. I hope being able to find a professor there to convert to a research based masters(MASc).
Wanted to get some department related information, but am still unable to find any Indian graduate students from mechanical or any other field at Carleton University. Ottawa seems to be a really good city, was just concerned about the off-campus living costs there. Any inputs from you guys will be really helpful!!
06-15-2011 07:48 PM
samirmalek89 Offline
New Edulixian

samirmalek89 Offline
New Edulixian

hey, can anybody please tell me about..do canadian unis. wants 1 or 1.5 more years than US to complete MS there than in US?? I am really confused about this coz some of my friends told me that they take our 1/1.5 years to make our indian BS engineering degree equivalent to canadian BS degree and we have to study in somewhat prediplomatic course for 1/1.5 years..is that true??..plz help me
hey, can anybody please tell me about..do canadian unis. wants 1 or 1.5 more years than US to complete MS there than in US?? I am really confused about this coz some of my friends told me that they take our 1/1.5 years to make our indian BS engineering degree equivalent to canadian BS degree and we have to study in somewhat prediplomatic course for 1/1.5 years..is that true??..plz help me
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011 01:31 AM by samirmalek89.)
06-20-2011 01:30 AM
anti-neutrino Offline
Edulix Senior Member

anti-neutrino Offline
Edulix Senior Member

10K USD less per year is disappointing Sad .. worsened by high standard of living (as shared by assassin)

and is it really getting tougher to get jobs in US after education in Canada ?? Have no idea about changed US policies
07-11-2011 12:04 PM
bokkr Offline
Edulix Active Member

bokkr Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
With the recent fall - out of some of the universities in US ( Tri state universities), and students been duped... I guess it doesn't matter which county one is going, if u have good education in mind, it is always safe to go for reputed university/ collage offering quality education in ur field of interest. I will just say other things will fall in line afterwards..

07-31-2011 02:23 PM
james_edulix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

james_edulix Offline
Edulix Frequent User

hi I got 1100 score in gre

can i get admission in good universities in canada

08-14-2011 11:44 PM
TransportedToMS Offline
Edulix Senior Member

TransportedToMS Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 262
(08-14-2011 11:44 PM)james_edulix Wrote:  hi I got 1100 score in gre

can i get admission in good universities in canada

gre is irrelevent for canada. GPA is the main deciding factor,
I got admitted into Ryerson Univ and U windsor ... had admit came 1 month earlier, wouldnt had been much a choice.

CANADA all the way.

Dil lai gei aa lut ke, mukh pe zulfan sut ke.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011 12:16 AM by TransportedToMS.)
08-15-2011 12:15 AM
GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 14
Getting admits is tough, Jobs are lesser, weather is harsh, standard of living is lower than US', then why would anyone go there over US?

I am thinking of considering Canada now, because it is the 2nd best country in the world for Chemical Engineering, isn't it?

My Infobank | My Visa Interview

I only reply when tagged. Tag me for Chemical Engineering profile evaluations.
08-15-2011 01:22 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

(08-15-2011 01:22 PM)GSCHM Wrote:  I am thinking of considering Canada now, because it is the 2nd best country in the world for Chemical Engineering, isn't it?
But still that doesn't change anything - Getting admitted is STILL tough, Jobs are STILL lesser, weather is STILL harsh, standard of living is STILL lower than US', then why are you thinking about Canada ?

I'm no longer active, try contacting other active members in the Canadian Forum.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2011 03:24 AM by Abhi1888.)
08-16-2011 03:07 AM
Sanket Joshipura Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Sanket Joshipura Offline
Edulix Super Senior

(08-16-2011 03:07 AM)Abhi1888 Wrote:  
(08-15-2011 01:22 PM)GSCHM Wrote:  I am thinking of considering Canada now, because it is the 2nd best country in the world for Chemical Engineering, isn't it?
But still that doesn't change anything - Getting admitted is STILL tough, Jobs are STILL lesser, weather is STILL harsh, standard of living is STILL lower than US', then why are you thinking about Canada ?

Very HappyVery Happy

08-16-2011 05:37 PM
GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(08-16-2011 03:07 AM)Abhi1888 Wrote:  
I thought that the thread starter has given a general scenario. Maybe things are different for ChemE. Gotta find some seniors.

08-16-2011 09:53 PM
Abhi1888 Offline

Abhi1888 Offline

Quote:I thought that the thread starter has given a general scenario. Maybe things are different for ChemE. Gotta find some seniors.

And from your first comment on this thread it was clearly evident that you were talking about general scenario.

By the way, can you please clarify me somethings; how are things you mentioned different for ChemE
- Is getting admitted EASY ? especially when you say it is ranked second ?
- Does weather turn PLEASANT when you come to Chemical Engineering department ?
- Does standard of living go HIGHER than US when you come to Chem Engg. department ?

P.S. - I'm an ignorant computer scientist, who is here in this barren, cold country whose currency has higher rates than USD and just wants to know how did you reach at those conclusions that you mentioned in your first comment.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2011 01:21 AM by Abhi1888.)
08-17-2011 01:20 AM
GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

GSCHM Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Sure, sir. I will clarify.
(08-17-2011 01:20 AM)Abhi1888 Wrote:  
Quote:I thought that the thread starter has given a general scenario. Maybe things are different for ChemE. Gotta find some seniors.

And from your first comment on this thread it was clearly evident that you were talking about general scenario.
Whatever I have said, is based simply from the first post in this thread. None of those are my opinions. You can actually match and see.

By the way, can you please clarify me somethings; how are things you mentioned different for ChemE
- Is getting admitted EASY ? especially when you say it is ranked second ?
- Does weather turn PLEASANT when you come to Chemical Engineering department ?
- Does standard of living go HIGHER than US when you come to Chem Engg. department ?

I have been clearly misunderstood here. I said maybe the scenario would be different for ChemE when it comes to Jobs (since Chemical Technology and Chemical resources (natural) are good there) and Admits (they may have higher intake and funding due to the market demand for ChemE) . The department can make a difference in only these two parameters. The weather and living standards have nothing to do with the departments, and I obviously know that.

P.S. - I'm an ignorant computer scientist, who is here in this barren, cold country whose currency has higher rates than USD and just wants to know how did you reach at those conclusions that you mentioned in your first comment.

I do sense the obvious unnecessary sarcasm here. Like I said before, all my conclusions are based on the OP's review.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 12:59 AM by GSCHM.)
08-18-2011 12:08 AM
JP_rocks Offline
Edulix Super Senior

JP_rocks Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 12
The biggest pro of canada according to me is PR. WE do not need to beg to companies to get us sponsored for H1b. There are instances where people working at US for 5-6 yrs can not get a PR. I think it is a kind of exploitation of immigrant workers. Moreover, US is very expensive both in terms of education & living.

Abhi1888 as you said you are a computer scientist, can u shed some light on the scope of MIS in canada. I am interested in MIS, but there are few selective universities offering MIS course. Due to varying trends of US economy, US education is really stressing when one has to take loans.

(08-15-2011 12:15 AM)TransportedToMS Wrote:  gre is irrelevent for canada. GPA is the main deciding factor,
Is it true ??

Live in the world of WE not ME !!
http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=117030
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 11:46 AM by JP_rocks.)
08-18-2011 11:45 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread