Industrial Engineering Mega Sticky
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Likes Given: 187
Unisearch: Link
Industrial Engineering Mega Sticky
Master of Science in Industrial and Systems Engg. is an interdisciplinary course which has plenty of scope. The widespread application of IE concepts across a diverse range of problems has made this an essential school for almost all Univ's. IE is mainly a combination of Engineering field and a management oriented approach. The specialization in IE includes any of the following domains:

1) OR- Operations Research
Focuses primarily on developing computational and stochastic models and other optimization techniques, and uses Mathematical (Numerical) and Statistical analysis as a main tool. It also encompasses a variety of modelling techniques and OR seems to be the "future ready", branch of IE. Offered in many univ's as a part of both specialization as well as majors, OR is a branch, which can land you a job in almost every field of its application. On top of this, other relevant areas under OR like, Linear Programming, Probabilistic etc., offers a more research oriented exposure. This is an awesome domain under IE, for all those who love maths and enjoy doing it. Job wise, positions such as Operations Analyst, OR Engineer, Optimized Solutions and service providing concerns will be the major recruiters.

2) SCM- Supply Chain Management
SCM concepts form the back-born of 'any' organization. Its roots stem from organizational structure to product level processes. As a field, SCM encompasses warehousing, Transportation management and materials handling, Management of resources with a customer focus and is THE best field, when it comes to Consultant jobs, Industry Jobs, and any other field. Almost all Systems in the World, be it Finance sector, Consultancy sector, Manufacturing Sector have an integral dept. for SCM, which makes it an obvious choice for them to hire IE people in this domain. The coursework is mainly related to developing solutions, Business models, incorporating advanced sensing technologies like the RFID etc., and also develop frameworks for Closed loop system analysis. Green Manufacturing with SCM concepts seems to the latest technique adopted under this belt by the Manufacturing Industries. Stochastic network analysis and other solutions in supply chain fields are progressive research oriented directions.

3) Manufacturing
This is the oldest and perhaps the most evergreen of all. It involves analysis of Productions systems, Manufacturing systems, assembly lines, Factory Automation, Robotics, Computer Integrated Manufacturing etc. It finds its application in every Automobile Company, Manufacturing company, Production Systems, Aerospace Sector to name a few. Job wise, it does become a bit harder to hunt in the US with majority of MFG being either outsourced or reserved for citizens/PR's, if you have the passion for the field, it shouldn't be a problem.

4) Prod- Production
This falls in close line with Manufacturing except that Production systems are studied in more detail here.

5) Logistics, Intelligent systems
This is another field that is gaining momentum at a rapid pace. Logistics and Intelligent systems are used in almost all activities in all the companies; Be it manufacturing, Consultancy, Industries and others. Developing new Systems that can handle freight services, Intelligent production and movement of traffic have rendered this domain really palpable for Aerospace/Aviation sector for Traffic Management. The main source of recruiters to this field are present world over and is said to be a job magnet when it comes to IE along with SCM/OR.

6) Systems engineering and a whole more.
This, being a subsidiary specialization that would depend on the other course work, include in depth analysis and research of Systems engineering. It follows a closely threaded path along with SCM/Logistics,Intelligent Systems.

7) Health Care and Human Interaction
This field is gaining momentum at a tremendous pace. Most of the funds allocated are for IE applications and solutions in healthcare and related aspects. Ergonomics, Cockpit management, Systems effectiveness management and other applications that establish a link between Human - Computer, Human- machine with automated technologies come under this domain. Job prospects are currently good as this finds takers in a broad spectrum of concerns.

USEFUL LINKS:

US NEWS IE 2013 RANKINGS

US NEWS IE 2012 RANKINGS

Operational Research vs Manufacturing

The Industrial and Systems Engineer can solve a variety of problems in a variety of settings. Here are just a few questions an ISE answers, divided by application area:

Manufacturing Systems
· How can output be increased
· When should a facility be expanded How much capacity should be added
· What size workforce is needed When should shifts be scheduled
· Which automated system should be purchased and implemented
· When should the equipment be replaced and which models purchased

Supply Chain Management
· Where should a facility be located
· How much inventory should be maintained and where should it be kept
· How should information be shared between customers, suppliers and manufacturers
· Which supplier should be a partner

Transportation and Logistics
· Which loads should be placed on which trucks for transport
· How should the trucks be routed through town or across country
· How large a fleet of trucks is needed Which size of truck
· Should the shipment be sent by truck, rail or aircraft
· How should the aircraft be loaded to assure balance

Information/Communications Systems
· Which technology should be implemented
· Where should a hub be located
· How much capacity should be routed through the network
· How should the network be designed (locations and routes)

Energy/Water Distribution Systems
· Which generation technologies should be utilized
· What information must be gathered for efficient utilization
· How should a distribution network be designed
· When should a network be upgraded

Financial Engineering
· How can the risk of an investment be reduced
· How can we build a robust investment portfolio
· What price and length should a service or warranty contract be
· Which capital projects should be funded (capacity expansion, equipment replacement)

Pharmaceutical and Biomedical
· What pattern of test identifies a disorder
· Which potential drugs should continue the testing (R&D) process
· What algorithm will help identify the DNA sequence

Healthcare Systems
· How many beds are needed in the ER
· When should doctors and nurses be scheduled
· How can patient wait time be reduced

What is common Efficiency. In all systems and application areas, Industrial and Systems Engineers answer questions in order to improve efficiency.

How is ISE Different

Industrial and Systems Engineers are different because of a systems perspective. For example, a Mechanical Engineer may be tasked with designing a machine to make it faster or more energy efficient. However, the Industrial and Systems Engineer will be tasked with designing the production line that integrates all machinery in order to produce a product. Furthermore, the Industrial and Systems Engineer will oversee all operations of the plant to make sure that the system, not just an individual machine, is running efficiently.

Industrial and Systems Engineers are also concerned with designing and implementing solutions. Whereas a Computer Engineering or a Computer Science Engineer is concerned with making a computer run fast and database software to execute commands quickly, it is the Industrial and Systems Engineer that devises a solution to a problem and implements it with the computer often with a decision support system that ties the solution algorithm tied to the data in a database with a manageable user interface.

IE vs MS&E:
Management Science and Engineering is another field, that is regarded closely with IE. However, there are few basic difference between these branches.

1) IE is a right mix of Engineering principles and deals with how they are applied in various frameworks under the Management of an organization to enhance it productivity. MS&E deals with more of a management oriented approach rather than engineering methods to do the same. Hence, its more related to an MBA kind of Scientific Degree..
2) Scope: Both have good job prospects, but the fact that IE can be accommodated in any network and is widespread, makes it an ideal choice for people who want to have a small foot hold into the Management domain without sacrificing engineering principles.
3) Also, IE is for those, who want to see scientific and engineering methods being adopted to increase the productivity of any system rather than going in for Management based models alone.

The following is a compilation of good Universities that offer MS & PhD in Industrial Engineering. In order to get into these universities, one needs to have decent GRE scores (yes - 'decent' is a subjective word) and academics and most importantly some related work (projects, papers, interns, course work). I say this because over the years people from other domains too apply for IE. So not having done some related work, decreases your chances of admission, no matter one’s high GRE, academics and other credentials. I am not ranking the universities, but only giving the specialization areas at which they are good at, research going on(overview), reputation and job opportunities (Approximately).

1) Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta (The Best for IE in the world)
Specialization: SCM/OR and related areas like Optimization, Statistics, Simulation, Stochastic. They are Pros when it comes to OR/SCM. More to that, Georgia Tech produces a whopping 10% of the world's Industrial Engineers. The CEO of the company that has the worlds most complex supply chain - Walmart is a GT Alum. Specializations offered include MS IE, MS OR, MS SCE, MS Computational Finance etc., Located in Atlanta, the city attracts a majority of Consultancy, SCM and related companies.
Research: They have a lot of research centers, doing research mainly in SCM, Logistics, Modeling & Simulation etc. There are dedicated logistics labs in collaboration with Asia Pacific and logistics organizations.
http://www.isye.gatech.edu/research/labs...rs-groups/
Job/Intern Prospects: Awesome. The GT career fair attracts the best of the employers.

2) Arizona State University, Tempe
Specialization: Quality & Reliability Engg., SCM and OR.
Research: They are good at Quality related areas – Statistical Quality Control, statistical process control
http://ie.fulton.asu.edu/research/focus-areas
Job Prospects: Decent Job opportunities, on – campus recruitment is less, but its program is well recognized.

3) North Carolina State University, Raleigh
Specialization: Automation, Manufacturing and Rapid Prototyping. They also offer separate courses for OR and also for IMSEI- where compulsory Intern according to the coursework helps people in landing up with a job after their Masters. Has good Industrial contacts.
Research: They have good on going research in CAD/CAM and Automation areas. http://www.ise.ncsu.edu/h/research/index.html
Job Prospects: On-campus (current) recruitment is dull, but very good internship scene and the course has good reputation.

4) The Ohio State University, Columbus
Specialization: Manufacturing Engg, Human Factors Engg and OR.
Research: This univ is relatively good for OR and Manufacturing
http://www-iwse.eng.ohio-state.edu/research.cfm
Job Prospects: Good local reputation. OH has lots of industries around its belt.

5) Pennsylvania State University, University Park(1st IE Dept. in the world was started here)
Specialization: They are good in all areas of IE.
Research: The following link will speak all about it. Fantastic place to do PhD.
http://www.ie.psu.edu/Research/FacultyResearchAreas.cfm
Job Prospects: Penn has a vast spread of alumni network for its reputation.

6) Purdue University, West Lafayette
Specialization: The best in US for Manufacturing and SCM.
Research: They conduct research in Production Systems, Manufacturing, OR, Human Factors
https://engineering.purdue.edu/IE/Research
Job Prospects: Good opportunities, it is more of a research univ, so people prefer to finish a PhD here.

7) Texas A&M University, College Station
Specialization: The coursework nowadays tends more towards OR side with a good amount of ongoing research works in Healthcare and logistics sector.
Research: This is the link to the Faculty Profile Page.
http://ie.tamu.edu/People/faculty.html
Job Prospects: Good reputation and ranking. Recruiters are mainly from Transport and Logistics domain.

8) State University of New York, Buffalo
Specialization: They have good Manufacturing and OR courses.
Research: This link will help you.
http://www.ise.buffalo.edu/research/index.php
Job Prospects: Currently it is dull. But there are good internship opportunities, and to turn it into placement depends upon the individual’s talent.

9) University of Florida, Gainesville
Specialization: They are good at Logistics, Real Time Systems and Computational Engineering.
Research: The faculty interests are listed below.
http://www.ise.ufl.edu/people/facstaff.asp
Job Prospects: Location is a downside here. Smart folks definitely manage to grab advantage of the career fair though.

10) University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
Specialization: They are equally good in OR like GaTech. Only aspect is that its highly expensive. Funding mite be possible in the second semester owing to good academic/research potential.
Research: The below link will help you.
http://ioe.engin.umich.edu/research/
Job Prospects: Loads of opportunities.

11) University of Wisconsin – Madison
Specialization: Again they are good at OR and Quality Engineering
Research: The link below will help. A good place for doing PhD.
http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ie/research/
Job Prospects: Good reputation and opportunities.

12) Virginia Tech, Blacksburg
Specialization: They are too good in Manufacturing, Industrial Robotics and Automation. Their faculty group consists of brilliant people.
Research: The link below will help you.
http://www.ise.vt.edu/people/teaching.php
Job Prospects: Manufacturing companies are main recruiters in VTech.

13) Rochester Institute of Technology, NY
Overview: A Decent program for IE if not best, Gives out waivers to some extent.
Specialization: They have decent on going works in the fields of OR and SCM in particular. Though RIT is not ranked due to non-availability of PhD's, most of the funding goes to MS Students.
Research: This link belowwill elaborate
http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/ise/grad/ms_ie.html
Job Prospects: RIT has got good coop programs, Industrial Ties and Jobs after MS.

14) Columbia University,NY
Overview: Prime Location. Great Reputation. The business school is top notch here, which make IE prospects to choose more reputed courses from the Business School.
Specialization: A more Business oriented curriculum, OR, SCM and Systems Optimization in particular. OR course is really good here. Below link will explain
http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/
Job Prospects: Well, NY it is and Columbia is Highly reputed at its heart. Placements are really bright, major recruiters being from Financial, Consultancy firms centered in and around NY. But all this comes at a Ultra High Tuition and living expenses.

15) University of Texas at Austin
Overview: There is no generic IE here. Only OR-IE is the course that is offered. OR being a Math driven course, the focus is naturally on the rigorous problem solving Stats, Stochastic Processes, Linear Programming and Optimization. The dept. does feature in the best of rankings for IE in particular as the dept. comes under the coveted Mech Dept. at Austin. Also, the curriculum is more of a research oriented one and focuses on varied numerical and statistical analysis and simulation.
Job Prospects: Brand name helps - but converting beyond a point rests with an individual.

16) University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC)
Overview: Highly reputed University. Has the "chicago" location advance. Finance, consulting and allied IT sectors are the major recruiters.
Research: Decent on-going research works in OR, stochastic, optimization. Placements and Interns shouldn't be a problem owing to the UIUC brand name. On the flip side though, it tends to get expensive without any sort of funding.

There are many other good universities which offer IE, apart from the obvious ones like MIT, UC Berkeley, Stanford. People who want to pursue IE, I don’t know how admit will be given. All the above information is provided based on the feedback by my seniors and my own research.

For some universities I have given the links about their on going research coz they have a very extensive range of research areas.

I did this because I didn’t find anything much about IE on Edulix. And moreover the number of people applying for IE has increased. I request all other IE appers to put in the information about universities to which u have applied.

I will try to include more about the Universities and related matter as soon as possible.

P.S: Off late, many doubts were raised with respective to programming knowledge requirement for IE. The answer is YES., Though its domain specific, software knowledge is widely used in almost all fields and IE being a progressive field with a mix of Engineering and Management is no exception to this.

P.P.S: If there are any mistakes, please correct me. I did this because, I cant even imagine how I would have finished my application process without the help of Edulix. I would seek the joint effort of @[vsridhar36] for taking this thread forward with his inputs and also request all Edulixians to contribute to this thread with information related to Industrial and Systems Engineering, so that I can update this post.

~Back to work~Expect a delayed response to my tags/PM's.

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank
Profile Evaluation Guide || University Selection for all Streams

The Knight has risen beyond expectations...."Deshay Deshay Bashara Bashara "...
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2014 03:49 PM by Dark Knight.)
07-30-2011 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

RE: INDUSTRIAL ENGG- FALL 2012 aspirants
---------EDIT-------

I may not subscribe to threads. Tag me using @[Dark Knight] to get my attention.

Post all IE specific queries here. Please read the first post for various specializations and Information on IE at different Univ's. All about Georgia Tech here.

Profile || My VI || Planning your application season || How to Create an Infobank

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 02:58 PM by Dark Knight.)
08-13-2011 12:15 PM
aswagr8 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

aswagr8 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
thank god u created a thread.......edulix snrs please post any info u have regarding IE here.........
08-15-2011 09:48 PM
sandyjuventus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sandyjuventus Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
I just got one question for you. Is there a better chance of getting an admit from Industrial eng dept rather than mech dept in top colleges for a mechanical engineer?
08-18-2011 06:16 PM
Rajkumaran Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Rajkumaran Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
sandyjuventus colleges tht have IE dept separate from Mech dept. the chance of getting admitted and the probability is kinda same,if IE is integrated with Mech dept, the chances of getting funding and fee waiver etc etc becomes more difficult as compared to a separate IE dept alone. anyways i would like few seniors to verify this info as i got them based on my knowledge and own research..
08-19-2011 06:11 PM
King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

King Maker Offline
Thala the Great

Likes Given: 19
@sandy Does not necessarily be easy. People from other depts can also join IE. It does not contribute to easier admits.
@Raj +1 RA/TA in a dept depends on skill whether it is Mechanical or IE or whatever dept.

Don't tag me for anything other than NCSU (IE/IMSE). I am outdated with admit trends. Don't ask me for eval since I am outdated. Thanks!
08-19-2011 07:26 PM
ubiquitous: Offline
Edulix Active Member

Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 4
Some useful IE threads

1) Distinction between IE Manufacturing , Mech Manufacturing , IE Operations Research and MEM
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...606&page=3

2) Specialization in IE
http://www.ise.ufl.edu/aboutise.asp

Tag me @[ubiquitous: ] to get my attention. I can help with industrial engineering queries.

My Profile

NCSU | GaTech | PSU | UMich | VTech | TAMU |
08-20-2011 05:11 PM
prath18in Offline
Edulix Frequent User

prath18in Offline
Edulix Frequent User

What about the funding scenario for IE in colleges? I am applying for FALL 2012 myself. But I am looking at funding options. Any info on that?

08-30-2011 09:20 AM
_reef_ Offline
Edulix Senior Member

_reef_ Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Guys m looking to go for MS in Industrial Engineering . What sort of scope is there for this field in US . How is recession going to effect . Can we expect any scholarships or fee waiver , if not in the first sem but atleast later on ? doing IE for a MOD college example UHMC , Ucinn is going to cost approximately how much ? And How is the job scene for IE ? DO we get placed , where all do we get placed and what sort of jobs are we going to do ?

08-31-2011 01:16 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

_reef_, all ur questions cannot be answered unless u actually go to US.. anyways, IE is a dept. which is widely scoped and over the years students from other dept. also apply to IE which has raised the competition.. and doing IE from a reputed univ will put u in a good position for Job, intern etc etc rather than from a mod- low ranked univ... and on top of that IE being more general, u can fit into an industry for tat matter.. from IT jobs to Core jobs..U name it and u have it.. All these are not guaranteed if u do IE from a Low ranked Univ or not reputed Univ.. and regarding the recession u mentioned.., well even 2008 witnessed such kinda things.. u never know what the situation is unless u actually face it... So, think twice before going to the US.. and on top of tat, dont mind spending 6-8 Lakhs more for a reputed Univ..as its gonna have an awesome pay back in future.. Do look ur MS as an both knowledge gaining and Investment which is gonna pay u in future.. and regarding Univ of Cincinnati, its been givin more admits to M Eng rather than MS for many students and it has got low international intake..
Hope the above post helped!...All the best..!!

08-31-2011 01:59 PM
_reef_ Offline
Edulix Senior Member

_reef_ Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Yes indeed it helped ! And u talked about Low level and mod level colleges , i've got a 1210 in gre , 750q 460v , am i looking towards a mod or a decent or a low level college ? i've put my list just incase if u want to go through where m planning to go -

http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=97351
The last list which has not been evaluated yet is like my almost final list !

08-31-2011 03:48 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

_reef_, seems ur profile has already been evaluated... follow th guidelines from seniors.. in case if u feel i can be of any help to u, send me a mail...I will def reply back...

09-01-2011 12:23 PM
Edulix Active Member

Edulix Active Member

How is the scenario for IE - manufacturing ?

Vijay90, have you started with your applications ?

Tag me @[ubiquitous: ] to get my attention. I can help with industrial engineering queries.

My Profile

NCSU | GaTech | PSU | UMich | VTech | TAMU |
09-01-2011 12:29 PM
Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

Dark Knight Offline
Gotham City Hero!

prath18in, getting funding in ur 1st semester is next to impossible.. and if u do get tat, u must be really happy.. after th 1st sem, usually we can manage our expenses by doing part time, TA/RA etc etc.. though evn this is not guaranteed... As far as the universities tat offer funding at the beginning, i can remember UFl, RIT.. UFL gives funding in the form of AA Scholarship , and RIT ( heard they provide stipend + full waiver ).. so applying early here, mite be of gr8 help...
ubiquitous:, i m in th process of getting all my docs, recos etc ready.. plannin to start the process next month when i get my TOEFL scores..

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2011 12:37 PM by Dark Knight.)
09-01-2011 12:33 PM
prath18in Offline
Edulix Frequent User

prath18in Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Guys, what about UT Austin, I heard its very tough to get in but once you are in, its only with funding. Is it true???

Pradeep

09-01-2011 03:25 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread